Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,122 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:25 AM

Do Nairalanders And, By Extension, Nigerians Embrace Anti-intellectualism? - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Do Nairalanders And, By Extension, Nigerians Embrace Anti-intellectualism? (1126 Views)

Merry Christmas To All Nairalanders And Their Families / The Pandering To Anti-intellectualism On Nairaland (part 1; Misogyny) / Merry Xmas To All Nairalanders And Their Families (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do Nairalanders And, By Extension, Nigerians Embrace Anti-intellectualism? by VPersie: 7:01am On Aug 26, 2010
For several weeks, I have posted several threads on Nairaland. These threads fall into two categories:

1. Those that contain inanities as the core of made up gossip and absurd stories. These stories are specially prepared to make people wonder, "is this for real?" They are intentionally made to baffle, annoy, and elicit mockery. These threads also ask silly and unnecessary questions.

2. Those that are the product of real life and semi-real life situations to which I seriously and urgently need advice and guidance. These threads are the product of several minutes/hours/days of fruitless thinking. I usually resort to coming on NL because I need solutions but cannot seem to figure them out on my own. So, in general, the issues addressed in these threads pertain to serious matters of life.

Why is that I get overwhelming responses to the threads of type-1 and little or none to the threads of type-2? Is it a sign that the average nairalander/nigerian eschews or lacks the skills for critically thinking about issues and solving problems? If this is the case, is that why people are eager to hurl insults and drop one-liners (ala mama-gee), since they seem incapable of doing the hard brain work necessary for meaningful dialogue?

I eagerly await your responses and opinions.
Re: Do Nairalanders And, By Extension, Nigerians Embrace Anti-intellectualism? by LagosBobo1(m): 2:25pm On Aug 26, 2010
Ouch! LOL grin
Re: Do Nairalanders And, By Extension, Nigerians Embrace Anti-intellectualism? by iice(f): 4:19pm On Aug 26, 2010
Hehe. . .
Maybe coz some people just want humour or a place to let loose some steam
Re: Do Nairalanders And, By Extension, Nigerians Embrace Anti-intellectualism? by LagosBobo1(m): 5:53pm On Aug 26, 2010
iice:

Hehe. . .
Maybe coz some people just want humour or a place to let loose some steam

I definitely hope so b'cos VPersie is not the only one, that bothers me as well
Re: Do Nairalanders And, By Extension, Nigerians Embrace Anti-intellectualism? by VPersie: 9:18pm On Aug 26, 2010
@iice

That makes sense. I hope you are correct. If not, it is a bad sign.

More contributions welcome.
Re: Do Nairalanders And, By Extension, Nigerians Embrace Anti-intellectualism? by dani1luv: 9:26pm On Aug 26, 2010
Poster Summarize please grin
Re: Do Nairalanders And, By Extension, Nigerians Embrace Anti-intellectualism? by kodewrita(m): 10:03pm On Aug 26, 2010
^^^touche
Re: Do Nairalanders And, By Extension, Nigerians Embrace Anti-intellectualism? by dani1luv: 10:07pm On Aug 26, 2010
^^Bros you dun miss road kpatakpata
Re: Do Nairalanders And, By Extension, Nigerians Embrace Anti-intellectualism? by mamagee3(f): 12:13am On Aug 27, 2010
Poster. . .

I don't get your point at all. . .please explain more.
Re: Do Nairalanders And, By Extension, Nigerians Embrace Anti-intellectualism? by VPersie: 3:06am On Aug 27, 2010
@dani-luv and mama-gee

Your responses just proved the crux of my position. Read slowly and carefully and you will get it.

[size=5pt]Or maybe I just have a problem with writing in a way peeps can understand[/size]
Re: Do Nairalanders And, By Extension, Nigerians Embrace Anti-intellectualism? by iice(f): 3:23am On Aug 27, 2010
Lagos Bobo:

I definitely hope so b'cos VPersie is not the only one, that bothers me as well

I did say some lol.
Some are just clueless
Re: Do Nairalanders And, By Extension, Nigerians Embrace Anti-intellectualism? by InkedNerd(f): 6:00am On Aug 27, 2010
Ooooh, I like this topic grin. Thanks for posting it. I'm eager to see other people's responses as well. I guess this explains the whole marrying a 15yr old thread that you started. Very interesting.
Re: Do Nairalanders And, By Extension, Nigerians Embrace Anti-intellectualism? by kodewrita(m): 6:44am On Aug 27, 2010
@dan1luv, i said touche because you proved his point. he put forward an intellectual argument and instead of reading it you asked him to summarize, essentially saying you dont want to read a long post. thats anti-intellectual in a way.

From what I can understand, his fictitious posts or the ones he deliberately creates (for the sole purpose of shocking or drawing in people) gather more people while the serious ones dont even draw any attention.
Re: Do Nairalanders And, By Extension, Nigerians Embrace Anti-intellectualism? by muggle(m): 11:43am On Aug 27, 2010
I should av known dat your other thread about marrying a 15 yr old gal was a joke taking
into consideration your diction.

Anyway, I think it bothers more on what iice said - I come here for information and to cool
off. grin grin

Moreso, that some people here tends to yab more than to offer constructive advice.
Re: Do Nairalanders And, By Extension, Nigerians Embrace Anti-intellectualism? by Nobody: 12:25pm On Aug 27, 2010
Re: Do Nairalanders And, By Extension, Nigerians Embrace Anti-intellectualism? by sweeti14(f): 1:12pm On Aug 27, 2010
chaircover:

@Vpersie

The answer could be the same reason why tabloid newspapers have the highest circulation figures year in year out

The Sun Newspaper sells more copies than any other newspaper in the UK.

In response to the marrying a 15 year old thread, you would have less responses say if you started a thread with the same information but the girl was 25 instead of 15.

This is because most people generally speaking know the difference between right and wrong & many have 15 year old sisters/relatives and were able to identify with the story.

You wont get a lot of responses on for example the thread about a woman who threw a cat in the bin because not a lot of people here keep pet cats and so are not really bothered one way or the other by the story.
GBAM! sums it all up!
Re: Do Nairalanders And, By Extension, Nigerians Embrace Anti-intellectualism? by mamagee3(f): 7:35pm On Aug 27, 2010
VPersie:

@dani-luv and mama-gee

Your responses just proved the crux of my position. Read slowly and carefully and you will get it.

[size=5pt]Or maybe I just have a problem with writing in a way peeps can understand[/size]
Re: Do Nairalanders And, By Extension, Nigerians Embrace Anti-intellectualism? by VPersie: 9:05pm On Aug 27, 2010
@Mama-gee

What don't you understand, my dear?

@ others

So people see NL as a from of recreation and are intellectually-inclined in real life? But then we need creative and critical thinking to solve real problems. How do we achieve this by being anti-intellectual?
Re: Do Nairalanders And, By Extension, Nigerians Embrace Anti-intellectualism? by Nobody: 10:47pm On Aug 27, 2010
Re: Do Nairalanders And, By Extension, Nigerians Embrace Anti-intellectualism? by VPersie: 8:07pm On Aug 28, 2010
Lol grin grin grin grin

I was just saying rubbish there. I don't even remember what I was trying to say.
Re: Do Nairalanders And, By Extension, Nigerians Embrace Anti-intellectualism? by Nobody: 9:23pm On Aug 28, 2010
Re: Do Nairalanders And, By Extension, Nigerians Embrace Anti-intellectualism? by VPersie: 9:49pm On Aug 28, 2010
Abi oo. I go dey take am easy in the future.
grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Do Nairalanders And, By Extension, Nigerians Embrace Anti-intellectualism? by googles: 1:49pm On Aug 29, 2010
oh so you are this smart

Thank God for lil' mercies. . . I've always thot you were suffering from one kind of disorder

and one other thing, if you learn to stop taking NL too seriously you will find the answers to your questions

you think most members are here to solve your problems or flex their intellectualism on a faceless forum, filled with highly opinionated users ?

'nuff said lipsrsealed
Re: Do Nairalanders And, By Extension, Nigerians Embrace Anti-intellectualism? by VPersie: 7:59pm On Aug 29, 2010
^^^^^

Haba aunty, I no get disorder ooh. I dey Kampe. grin grin grin

And I am beginnnig to learn to take NL less seriously. Thanks for the advice.

(1) (Reply)

Which Is The Best Between Nigeria And Ghana? What Is You Take? / 190 Get A Life, Read your Book, U R A Man / Help! Ibadan Under Serious Flood

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.