Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,113 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:12 AM

The Pandering To Anti-intellectualism On Nairaland (part 1; Misogyny) - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / The Pandering To Anti-intellectualism On Nairaland (part 1; Misogyny) (7161 Views)

Abi Assembly Set To Anti-open Grazing Law / Strength Of The Heart (part 1) - New Nollywood Nigerian Movies / Politics Of Intellectualism (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Go Down)

The Pandering To Anti-intellectualism On Nairaland (part 1; Misogyny) by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 9:43pm On Aug 11, 2015
An Open Letter To Seun and The Nairaland Admin On The Responsibility Towards Women

Before I state my opinions regarding the topic of this thread, I would like to play out a hypothetical situation for everyone to imagine-

Seun Osewa and Chimamanda Adichie are invited to London to receive awards for their works in Nigeria. Before the award night, they are both scheduled for an interview with a female British journalist in London. During the interview, Seun is asked by the journalist "would you say that you're a role model to women in Africa considering the misogynistic threads you promote on your front page?" To which Seun answers "I don't support misogyny and I am not responsible for what people post on Nairaland!" But the journalist counters "you are indeed responsible....in fact, you are in collusion with misogynistic Nairalanders when you push their misogynistic threads to the front page for more coverage. For example, you have sexist threads that claim that men are more intelligent than women or threads that claim that women who change their profile pictures a lot are pro.stitutes." Adichie then joins in "Yes, this is why I avoid Nairaland, despite the fact that there are many talented writers there."

The point from the above scenario should be clear. What I am trying to say is that many silly and misogynistic threads grace the front page at an alarming rate. Nigerian feminists must be depressed every time they come across such threads on the front page of Nairaland.

Before I go any further, I must point out that Nairaland moderators and supermoderators are trying their best. They excel when it comes to promoting political news, celeb news and crime news. They also excel when it comes to catching and getting rid of frauds on Nairaland. I was glad when a popular fraudulent auto-dealer was shamed and banned from Nairaland.

However, one must agree that they fail when it comes to women's rights and respect. Nigeria is already a country that is still struggling with women's rights and now we have Nairaland to add to the problem. It seems that the Nairaland admin do not understand that

-Women are equal to men
-A woman has every right to wear what she wants to wear without being called a "call girl"
-A woman's worth is not decided by her virginity
-A female victim's "sexy" clothes is not to blame for her being molested
-Not all ladies are interested in money or guys with big company jobs

With great power comes great responsibility. As a Nigerian of a younger generation, I already feel bitter towards the older generation for letting us down with corrupt and careless leadership but unfortunately, I find that my younger generation is getting rotten as well. We keep saying that we want change and that we want those in power to use their power responsibly but we can't do it in our personal lives or jobs. Nairaland admins have the power of the media- they can feed messages to millions of Nigerians. Why then feed negative and ignorant messages rather than educative ones?

To be clear, it is not that nairaland admin do not put educative threads on the front page. The problem is that they put ridiculously sexist trash as well on the front page.

It is even more saddening that Nairaland has female moderators among its admin and so, I wonder if it is testament to the internalized misogyny that comes from growing up in a deeply conservative country.

To be constructive, I simply wish that the Nairaland admin or moderators actually ask these questions when they come across threads that contain negative lists about women-

1) Does this thread create a negative stereotype about women and does the op (author) recognize it?
2) Does this thread apply to more than 20% of women?
3) Does this thread contain logic or ridiculously sexist arguments?

I will end my rant here. Here is some supporting evidence (in the form of front page threads) for my claims of misogyny on Nairaland-

https://www.nairaland.com/2131152/how-know-boyfriend-rich-one (Yes, because all women want rich guys and we can tell the future undecided)
https://www.nairaland.com/2513385/cant-escape-divorce-marry-these (A woman fetching water and doing hardwork will divorce you undecided)
https://www.nairaland.com/2422361/10-things-ladies-put-blame (Virginity nonsense undecided)

19 Likes 7 Shares

Re: The Pandering To Anti-intellectualism On Nairaland (part 1; Misogyny) by figoperch: 9:44pm On Aug 11, 2015
I dey
Re: The Pandering To Anti-intellectualism On Nairaland (part 1; Misogyny) by jaymejate: 9:58pm On Aug 11, 2015
If this doesn't make the front page, then i must sue the moderators. I remember this post
https://www.nairaland.com/2513385/cant-escape-divorce-marry-these (A woman fetching water and doing hardwork will divorce you)
After reading i took it as a joke tho. But then, some would be confused on the type of woman to marry. And ladies would not like this, like nothing they do is Ok.

This is a real article.
Re: The Pandering To Anti-intellectualism On Nairaland (part 1; Misogyny) by Nobody: 9:59pm On Aug 11, 2015
Prove you're not a feminist, and we shall open the gates of dialogue.
Re: The Pandering To Anti-intellectualism On Nairaland (part 1; Misogyny) by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 10:31pm On Aug 11, 2015
RickRichards:

Why should I do that?

Just say what you want to say.

1 Like

Re: The Pandering To Anti-intellectualism On Nairaland (part 1; Misogyny) by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 10:33pm On Aug 11, 2015
jaymejate:
If this doesn't make the front page, then i must sue the moderators. I remember this post
https://www.nairaland.com/2513385/cant-escape-divorce-marry-these (A woman fetching water and doing hardwork will divorce you)
After reading i took it as a joke tho. But then, some would be confused on the type of woman to marry. And ladies would not like this, like nothing they do is Ok.

This is a real article.

That thread was a disappointment.
Re: The Pandering To Anti-intellectualism On Nairaland (part 1; Misogyny) by Nobody: 3:16am On Aug 12, 2015
Unfortunately, given the recently released WAEC results, that trend is set to continue.
The younger generation is being brought with horribly sexist values and they see nothing wrong with it. Nairaland can only do its best, just as the rest of us who are more enlightened can only hope our efforts om here spark a real protest offline. But we can only hope..

Nice write up btw. Hope u make fp.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Pandering To Anti-intellectualism On Nairaland (part 1; Misogyny) by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 7:31am On Aug 12, 2015
musKeeto:
Unfortunately, given the recently released WAEC results, that trend is set to continue.
The younger generation is being brought with horribly sexist values and they see nothing wrong with it. Nairaland can only do its best, just as the rest of us who are more enlightened can only hope our efforts om here spark a real protest offline. But we can only hope..

Nice write up btw. Hope u make fp.

Nigeria is a very hard place that is rife with many social problems that include a lack security, r.ape, corruption, illiteracy, tribalism and ignorance. We don't need Nairaland to join in with the tribalism and ignorance.

Nairaland has already shown that it can rise above the Nigerian problem with its zero tolerance policy towards tribalism and scammers. The issue here is that Nairaland can also rise above the sexist and patriarchal attitudes that plague the Nigerian society.

What I am asking for is not magic. All I'm saying is that sexist threads should not be promoted. Women are an underclass in Nigeria and it would be better if the threads that are promoted are those that show the trials and triumphs of womanhood....not ones that demonize women.

I hope my message gets across though.

4 Likes

Re: The Pandering To Anti-intellectualism On Nairaland (part 1; Misogyny) by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 1:12pm On Aug 12, 2015
RickRichards:
undecided
Re: The Pandering To Anti-intellectualism On Nairaland (part 1; Misogyny) by cao(f): 2:22pm On Aug 12, 2015
I see AllNaijaBlogger is on a no BS campaign. As a mod, I do try to keep my dealings as transparent as possible. As you already know, I've zero tolerance for misogynistic comments, which I'm usually on the receiving end & I can clapback like the best of 'em with a missive worthy of a political manifesto.

Anywho as an ordinary mod, the best I can do when it comes to FP articles is only to suggest them, then cross my fingers and hope it gets picked. I've already aired my feelings about the FP at least once, so I won't do it again on this thread. There's a thread I once submitted (https://www.nairaland.com/2002195/why-females-hate-video-games) for FP. I reluctantly put it up because I knew we would eventually get generalised (some bordering on misogynistic & homophobic) comments when it would make FP. Of course, those comments happened once it made FP.

The Romance section is highly toxic, since it appears to be where most of the scorned children reside. Lord knows, I actively avoid that area, whenever I do venture there - I just say "nope" after I've read the FP post and leave. I've wasted enough time over there trying to give a civilised discussion. By the time you've made 2 valid points, you will miraculously turn into a sensitive female dog, who apparently is very into gardening & gold digging, whose garden apparently needs to be ploughed. There are times I honestly wonder if some NLers are actually adults or aliens pretending to be adults through bad TV shows antics...

AllNaijaBlogger:

undecided
Welcome to the brave new world where someone will eventually ask you for proof...When did feminism become a bad word? Why is it considered an insult to be seen as a feminist? It's like when someone once called me an African as an insult. Yes, I know it's about female rights, but it simply means equality for both sexes. Now, if you're really looking for a silly cause, see MRA's protest against Mad Max: Fury Road. Now, that's some funny shtako right there.

At the end of the day, these questionable threads will always make FP, because they'll always attract attention...regardless of the quality of the attention.

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Pandering To Anti-intellectualism On Nairaland (part 1; Misogyny) by Nobody: 3:52pm On Aug 12, 2015
AllNaijaBlogger smiley
Re: The Pandering To Anti-intellectualism On Nairaland (part 1; Misogyny) by Nobody: 3:58pm On Aug 12, 2015
AllNaijaBlogger:

An Open Letter To Seun and The Nairaland Admin On The
Responsibility Towards Women
Before I state my opinions regarding the topic of this
thread.

NL Admin is primarily interested in topics that generate TRAFFIC. Whatever that topic may be is secondary. Pls note this.

AllNaijaBlogger:

What I am trying to say is that many silly and misogynistic threads grace the front page at an alarming rate. Nigerian feminists must be depressed every time they come across such threads on the front page of Nairaland.

When such threads are created, have you ever wondered why the Smods push them to the FP? Pls check my first statement. The admin seek for traffic, simples!
The shame is some girls/women/ladies would read such crap and believe them. You even read some of the girls coming to stylishly exonerate themselves from whatever bunkum the thread is about. I think the reader needs to learn how to sieve information gotten from a public social forum, making use of the necessary and mentally discarding the unnecessary.

AllNaijaBlogger:

However, one must agree that they fail when it comes to women's rights and respect. Nigeria is already a country that is still struggling with women's rights and now we have Nairaland to add to the problem. It seems that the
Nairaland admin do not understand that
-Women are equal to men
-A woman has every right to wear what she wants to
wear without being called a "call girl"
-A woman's worth is not decided by her virginity
-A female victim's "sexy" clothes is not to blame for her
being molested
-Not all ladies are interested in money or guys with big
company jobs.

Some men do NOT know what to do with women except to use, misuse, abuse, denigrate, insult, and disrespect them. They grew up not having regards for women so NL is a very fertile ground for them to plant their seeds of shame. You see threads upon threads created by boys who think of nothing else but women, girls, f*ck, $ex, dates, girls, women, girls ...girls. They can't just stop, they can't help themselves. All they think about is girls/women. All they do is search for girls to date/sleep with and once they meet their type of girl in the real and have their usual bile-inducing experience; they jump to NL to create a thread. Thread creation is free and NL Admin will give them audience. So, they actually won't stop any time soon.

AllNaijaBlogger:

With great power comes great responsibility. As a Nigerian
of a younger generation, I already feel bitter towards the older generation for letting us down with corrupt and careless leadership but unfortunately, I find that my younger generation is getting rotten as well. We keep saying that we want change and that we want those in power to use their power responsibly but we can't do it in
our personal lives or jobs. Nairaland admin have the power of the media- they can feed messages to millions of Nigerians. Why then feed negative and ignorant messages rather than educative ones?
To be clear, it is not that nairaland admin do not put educative threads on the front page. The problem is that they put ridiculously sexist trash as well on the front page. It is even more saddening that Nairaland has female moderators among its admin and so, I wonder if it is testament to the internalized misogyny that comes from growing up in a deeply conservative country.
To be constructive, I simply wish that the Nairaland admin or moderators actually ask these questions when they come across threads that contain negative lists about women-
1) Does this thread create a negative stereotype about
women and does the op (author) recognize it?
2) Does this thread apply to more than 20% of women?
3) Does this thread contain logic or ridiculously sexist
arguments?

NL Admin already know that people all over the world visit NL so whatever they chose to put on their FP will determine the kind of people that will take NL serious eventually. It may be about traffic and all, but how will people from over the world view Nigeria when people would support rapists and blame the victim on FP topics, one tribe would curse out another forgetting that to the rest of the world, we are all the same. Nigerians, that's what they call us- not Igbo or Hausa or Yoruba. People just type whatever they want, making mockery of themselves and the country at large.
They say it's all for fun but we all know that with the kind of degrading threads about women making FP, those reading from afar may see them as the gospel truth hence, view Nigerian women as what the crappy threads make them out to be.

Finally, you must have noticed that majority of these threads you talk about are being created by the same set of people, all from the same section. If Romance is no longer working in Nigeria, then people should leave romance alone and face Business cheesy

It is not compulsory to date, it is not even necessary to get married. If Nigerian women are not good enough for you, Togo is visa free tongue

Good thing is Allnaijablogger is a man and men like him are still very much around. I remember how I commented on one of such very crappy threads, and the Almighty Men of NL came calling for my head.
But I will keep writing and commenting to state my opinion, REAL MEN don't have time for nonsense and everyday whining/insulting. They work hard to be successful, they respect themselves, they respect women.
That's all.

cc
Oreos

13 Likes 6 Shares

Re: The Pandering To Anti-intellectualism On Nairaland (part 1; Misogyny) by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 4:00pm On Aug 12, 2015
cao:
I see AllNaijaBlogger is on a no BS campaign. As a mod, I do try to keep my dealings as transparent as possible. As you already know, I've zero tolerance for misogynistic comments, which I'm usually on the receiving end & I can clapback like the best of 'em with a missive worthy of a political manifesto.

Anywho as an ordinary mod, the best I can do when it comes to FP articles is only to suggest them, then cross my fingers and hope it gets picked. I've already aired my feelings about the FP at least once, so I won't do it again on this thread. There's a thread I once submitted (https://www.nairaland.com/2002195/why-females-hate-video-games) for FP. I reluctantly put it up because I knew we would eventually get generalised (some bordering on misogynistic & homophobic) comments when it would make FP. Of course, those comments happened once it made FP.

The Romance section is highly toxic, since it appears to be where most of the scorned children reside. Lord knows, I actively avoid that area, whenever I do venture there - I just say "nope" after I've read the FP post and leave. I've wasted enough time over there trying to give a civilised discussion. By the time you've made 2 valid points, you will miraculously turn into a sensitive female dog, who apparently is very into gardening & gold digging, whose garden apparently needs to be ploughed. There are times I honestly wonder if some NLers are actually adults or aliens pretending to be adults through bad TV shows antics...

Welcome to the brave new world where someone will eventually ask you for proof...When did feminism become a bad word? Why is it considered an insult to be seen as a feminist? It's like when someone once called me an African as an insult. Yes, I know it's about female rights, but it simply means equality for both sexes. Now, if you're really looking for a silly cause, see MRA's protest against Mad Max: Fury Road. Now, that's some funny shtako right there.

At the end of the day, these questionable threads will always make FP, because they'll always attract attention...regardless of the quality of the attention.

I will address your last statement. The irony is that feminist threads actually bring a lot of traffic....even as much as the misogynistic ones.

I am active on the religion section. Some of the longest threads there are those that actually challenge the status quo and require a lot of logical arguments. Take for instance my thread on robots and religion in the future https://www.nairaland.com/2496196/what-it-mean-religion-when .

My above thread made 7 pages without front page access. Some of their sexist romance threads don't even get past 5 pages.

But back to the point on sexism, the average Nigerian (both man and woman) are sexist. It is only those that are broadly educated (not just literate) that can see the necessity of treating women equally. Nairaland can increase the number of educated people on this issue if it tried.

The nairaland admin can do better. Seriously, is it so hard to limit sexist, low-IQ threads from reaching the front page?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Pandering To Anti-intellectualism On Nairaland (part 1; Misogyny) by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 4:02pm On Aug 12, 2015
standd:
AllNaijaBlogger smiley

grin grin grin
Re: The Pandering To Anti-intellectualism On Nairaland (part 1; Misogyny) by khalhokage(m): 4:09pm On Aug 12, 2015
If only..... As much as I like Nairaland I've been slowly getting sick of it's continuous BS.

These days i prefer to skip the front-page and just view my boards of interest, because one glance at the garbage on front-page makes me sad.

1 Like

Re: The Pandering To Anti-intellectualism On Nairaland (part 1; Misogyny) by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 4:10pm On Aug 12, 2015
standd:

NL Admin is primarily interested in topics that generate TRAFFIC. Whatever that topic may be is secondary. Pls note this.

When such threads are created, have you ever wondered why the Smods push them to the FP? Pls check my first statement. The admin seek for traffic, simples!
The shame is some girls/women/ladies would read such crap and believe them. You even read some of the girls coming to stylishly exonerate themselves from whatever bunkum the thread is about. I think the reader needs to learn how to sieve information gotten from a public social forum, making use of the necessary and mentally discarding the unnecessary.

The irony here is that feminist threads also drive a lot of traffic. On such threads, the feminists argue for women's rights, the anti-feminsts argue that women are weaker, and then, religious people like me quote scriptures to support wherever we stand.

This does not only stop at feminism. A lot of topics/sections get ignored on the front page despite their potential for huge traffic.

There was the case of a transgender woman abusing God and it made front page. The thread brought in a lot of traffic. As a christian, the thread was shocking but it brought about a discussion on transgenders, atheists and God. I would like to see more philosphical threads make the front page.

If you notice, I support the politics and celebrity news that hit front page because they bring in a lot of traffic. But the romance is not always guaranteed traffic.

Even from a business point of view, the sexist romance threads do not make sense.

Another irony- a foolish sexist (misandrist) thread just made the front page now- some silly alcoholic girl trying to paint all men as ra.pists-
https://www.nairaland.com/2520057/trick-use-catching-potential-rapist

Instead of threads like the above one, why not put forward threads that sensibly discuss how to reduce or avoid ra.pe?
Re: The Pandering To Anti-intellectualism On Nairaland (part 1; Misogyny) by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 4:11pm On Aug 12, 2015
khalhokage:
If only..... As much as I like Nairaland I've been slowly getting sick of it's continuous BS.

These days i prefer to skip the front-page and just view my boards of interest, because one glance at the garbage on front-page makes me sad.

You are not alone
Re: The Pandering To Anti-intellectualism On Nairaland (part 1; Misogyny) by Nobody: 4:11pm On Aug 12, 2015
AllNaijaBlogger:

grin grin grin

I hope you already know that any man/woman who support/respect or attempt to fight for women on this forum will end up being labelled a feminist cheesy You may even be insulted and labelled an hypocrite for speaking up, so get ready.
Maybe the people who create these threads do not know or understand that 'Birds of a feather flock together' and that they are what they attract. Whining endlessly about women on a public forum shows how their everyday life is.

If you make FP, I will buy you a Range Rover undecided

Okay, a Range Rover made in Aba cheesy

1 Like

Re: The Pandering To Anti-intellectualism On Nairaland (part 1; Misogyny) by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 4:16pm On Aug 12, 2015
standd:

I hope you already know that any man/woman who support/respect or attempt to fight for women on this forum will end up being labelled a feminist cheesy You may even be insulted and labelled an hypocrite for speaking up, so get ready.
Maybe the people who create these threads do not know or understand that 'Birds of a feather flock together' and that they are what they attract. Whining endlessly about women on a public forum shows how their everyday life is.

If you make FP, I will buy you a Range Rover undecided

Okay, a Range Rover made in Aba cheesy

To be honest, I like the idea of feminism and did a research on it. Of course, there are silly feminists most of the feminists I have read about are actually inspiring women.

Let the haters come and bash me. The fact is that most happily married men don't go around trashing women on the internet. If you are in aa s
Re: The Pandering To Anti-intellectualism On Nairaland (part 1; Misogyny) by Nobody: 4:16pm On Aug 12, 2015
AllNaijaBlogger:

The irony here is that feminist threads also drive a lot of traffic. On such threads, the feminists argue for women's rights, the anti-feminsts argue that women are weaker, and then, religious people like me quote scriptures to support wherever we stand.

This does not only stop at feminism. A lot of topics/sections get ignored on the front page despite their potential for huge traffic.

There was the case of a transgender woman abusing God and it made front page. The thread brought in a lot of traffic. As a christian, the thread was shocking but it brought about a discussion on transgenders, atheists and God. I would like to see more philosphical threads make the front page.

If you notice, I support the politics and celebrity news that hit front page because they bring in a lot of traffic. But the romance is not always guaranteed traffic.

Even from a business point of view, the sexist romance threads do not make sense.

Another irony- a foolish sexist (misandrist) thread just made the front page now- some silly alcoholic girl trying to paint all men as ra.pists-
https://www.nairaland.com/2520057/trick-use-catching-potential-rapist

Instead of threads like the above one, why not put forward threads that sensibly discuss how to reduce or avoid ra.pe?

You are right...Maybe my thread about Nigerian Men being HYPOCRITES would hit FP soon cheesygrin

But seriously, it is the prerogative of NL Admin to do as they deem fit as concerns topics that make FP. It is business and nothing personal. I just pity those who do not know how to mentally sieve and discard trash, but read and take in everything as the gospel truth.

1 Like

Re: The Pandering To Anti-intellectualism On Nairaland (part 1; Misogyny) by Nobody: 4:21pm On Aug 12, 2015
AllNaijaBlogger:

To be honest, I like the idea of feminism and did a research on it. Of course, there are silly feminists most of the feminists I have read about are actually inspiring women.

Let the haters come and bash me. The fact is that most happily married men don't go around trashing women on the internet.

I have not fully studied nor grasp the concept of feminism. All I am after is that every human be accorded the freedom to life and speech, and all the basic things of life.
Men, Women and Children should be accorded respect as befits them, that's all I'm after.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Pandering To Anti-intellectualism On Nairaland (part 1; Misogyny) by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 4:23pm On Aug 12, 2015
standd:

You are right...Maybe my thread about Nigerian Men being HYPOCRITES would hit FP soon cheesygrin

But seriously, it is the prerogative of NL Admin to do as they deem fit as concerns topics that make FP. It is business and nothing personal. I just pity those who do not know how to mentally sieve and discard trash, but read and take in everything as the gospel truth.

It is personal.

You can imagine Nihili.st being a supermod- his front page topics could drive lots of nairalanders to suicide!

Your business is an extension of you. If a Yoruba king builds a hotel, they will serve eba and egusi as dish. If a nairaland admin is sexist, sexist threads will make the front page. It is not just a business decision. It is an ignorant business decision caused by personal bias.

grin

That your thread.....it is borderline misogynistic. You didnt give us guys a chance grin
Re: The Pandering To Anti-intellectualism On Nairaland (part 1; Misogyny) by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 4:31pm On Aug 12, 2015
standd:

I have not fully studied nor grasp the concept of feminism. All I am after is that every human be accorded the freedom to life and speech, and all the basic things of life.
Men, Women and Children should be accorded respect as befits them, that's all I'm after.

huh? I thought you were a hardcore feminist. or was it your haters that branded you one?
Re: The Pandering To Anti-intellectualism On Nairaland (part 1; Misogyny) by cao(f): 4:31pm On Aug 12, 2015
AllNaijaBlogger:

I will address your last statement. The irony is that feminist threads actually bring a lot of traffic....even as much as the misogynistic ones.

I am active on the religion section. Some of the longest threads there are those that actually challenge the status quo and require a lot of logical arguments. Take for instance my thread on robots and religion in the future https://www.nairaland.com/2496196/what-it-mean-religion-when .

My above thread made 7 pages without front page access. Some of their sexist romance threads don't even get past 5 pages.

But back to the point on sexism, the average Nigerian (both man and woman) are sexist. It is only those that are broadly educated (not just literate) that can see the necessity of treating women equally. Nairaland can increase the number of educated people on this issue if it tried.

The nairaland admin can do better. Seriously, is it so hard to limit sexist, low-IQ threads from reaching the front page?

Sometimes some threads simply make FP because a supermod posted the thread, meaning the thread will make FP seconds after the OP has posted it. Other times, it's simply the supermod was mentioned during the post, then said mod sees the the thread and decides that it's a good one and posts it. Hence why we've a thread that's been posted several hours earlier being ignored, but someone else posts the exact thread later and mentions a supermod's name and GBAM! they don hammer. I've now become a NL fiend, so I'm usually on it. When I'm at work, I honestly hide my iPad sometimes during my lunch break, just so that my colleagues will not see the FP.
Re: The Pandering To Anti-intellectualism On Nairaland (part 1; Misogyny) by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 4:35pm On Aug 12, 2015
cao:

Sometimes some threads simply make FP because a supermod posted the thread, meaning the thread will make FP seconds after the OP has posted it. Other times, it's simply the supermod was mentioned during the post, then said mod sees the the thread and decides that it's a good one and posts it. Hence why we've a thread that's been posted several hours earlier being ignored, but someone else posts the exact thread later and mentions a supermod's name and GBAM! they don hammer. I've now become a NL fiend, so I'm usually on it. When I'm at work, I honestly hide my iPad sometimes during my lunch break, just so that my colleagues will not see the FP.

I see. Funny enough, I tried mentioning the supermods (lalasticlala and ishilove) on some of my threads but they didnt make front pahe

But then, in some of the ones that did make it to the front page, I didnt mention the supermods!

I think I need to rethink my front page strategy.

Gosh. i wonder what foreigners- especially liberal Europeans think of nairaland and Nigerians.
Re: The Pandering To Anti-intellectualism On Nairaland (part 1; Misogyny) by Nobody: 4:43pm On Aug 12, 2015
AllNaijaBlogger:

huh? I thought you were a hardcore feminist. or was it your haters that branded you one?

I am not oh, not yet at least. I don't know who branded me one and it doesn't even matter. No one can gag others on a public forum, we agree, we disagree, we fight, we make up and at the end of it all, life goes on.

I may be passionate about some issues but I understand and recognise that my opinion may mean EVERYTHING to some and NOTHING to others.

It's no biggie, just that keyboard-warriors blow things out of proportions and mistake NL for Real life.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Pandering To Anti-intellectualism On Nairaland (part 1; Misogyny) by Nobody: 4:50pm On Aug 12, 2015
cao:

I made this stance a while back and the people who came to attack afterwards waited and waited for me to reply them.
I already know I will GLADLY buy a carton of gala to hawk on Third Mainland Bridge than waste valuable time arguing with heaps of e-people who resort to whining without ceasing every chance they get.

2 Likes

Re: The Pandering To Anti-intellectualism On Nairaland (part 1; Misogyny) by Nobody: 5:04pm On Aug 12, 2015
AllNaijaBlogger:

That your thread.....it is borderline misogynistic. You didnt give us guys a chance grin

I did that on purpose, I have seen threads calling ALL NIGERIAN WOMEN $luts and golddiggers for so long on this forum. I just wanted to let some of you see how very tasteless such generalization can be.

My best male friend told me that Nigerian men seem to have a hidden mental compartment, where they hide their mums and sisters before proceeding to bash ALL OTHER Nigerian women. It's just crazy cheesy

Of course I know that not all men are hypocrites but then, the thread is what it is.
The good thing about NL is that we bash and get bashed. I have also been called an hypocrite by people who have been called hypocrites on NL.
So, we are all hypocrites cheesy

About NL Admin, you seem to think that the kind of thread allowed to make FP mirrors their view of women. True?

2 Likes

Re: The Pandering To Anti-intellectualism On Nairaland (part 1; Misogyny) by Nobody: 5:08pm On Aug 12, 2015
cao:
I've now become a NL fiend, so I'm usually on it. When I'm at work, I honestly hide my iPad sometimes during my lunch break, just so that my colleagues will not see the FP.

cheesygrincheesycheesy Cheiiiiii
Re: The Pandering To Anti-intellectualism On Nairaland (part 1; Misogyny) by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 5:36pm On Aug 12, 2015
standd:

I did that on purpose, I have seen threads calling ALL NIGERIAN WOMEN $luts and golddiggers for so long on this forum. I just wanted to let some of you see how very tasteless such generalization can be.

My best male friend told me that Nigerian men seem to have a hidden mental compartment, where they hide their mums and sisters before proceeding to bash ALL OTHER Nigerian women. It's just crazy cheesy

Of course I know that not all men are hypocrites but then, the thread is what it is.
The good thing about NL is that we bash and get bashed. I have also been called an hypocrite by people who have been called hypocrites on NL.
So, we are all hypocrites cheesy

About NL Admin, you seem to think that the kind of thread allowed to make FP mirrors their view of women. True?

Yes. I remember a mod saying that there is a criteria for thread to make front page. They reject certain threads, so why not reject the sexist ones? Either they are ignorant or just too profit driven to care. Ironically, sensible threads are also profitable- its just that people do not do the work.

I am a blogger. I can be posting all kinds of nonsense to get traffic. In fact, on my blog, memes get the most traffic but I still do not focus on memes because I prefer writing something sensible. In the long run, the sensible articles pay because I get to gues post on international sites.

Any fool can post memes. Only intelligent writers can make proper analysis.

edited to add
Meme posts get shared easily on twitter and facebook but longer, sensible articles get more backlinks

grin
Re: The Pandering To Anti-intellectualism On Nairaland (part 1; Misogyny) by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 5:45pm On Aug 12, 2015
Nihilist grin
Re: The Pandering To Anti-intellectualism On Nairaland (part 1; Misogyny) by cao(f): 5:46pm On Aug 12, 2015
standd:

cheesygrincheesycheesy Cheiiiiii
Omo one day like joke like joke, I got my iPad out of my locker sat down on my usual chair, with my Pan Asian (stir fry from the canteen*), jejely unlocked my tablet, went to nairaland.com...saw the "see so-so and so in bumshorts, unclad, sexy, yada yada..." see the way my iPad just locked itself...the way I started looking left and right like I was trying to cross Falomo. Now, I just take my time and hiss frequently...or I just play Simpsons Tapped Out instead.

*you can take the mgbeke out of Nigeria...

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5)

The Full Meaning Of R.s.v.p / This Device Lets Women Urinate Standing Up Like Men (photo) / Going Kindle In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 118
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.