Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,457 members, 7,816,071 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:22 AM

The Armed Forces, Tacos, Pencom And The Rumbling Threat - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Armed Forces, Tacos, Pencom And The Rumbling Threat (2493 Views)

Buhari To Kickstart Punishment Of The Armed Forces For Violating Human Rights / President Jonathan At The Armed Forces Remembrance Day Today (Photos) / Jonathan Doesnt Want To Be Refered To As Commander-in-chief Of The Armed Forces (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Armed Forces, Tacos, Pencom And The Rumbling Threat by jamace(m): 2:15pm On Aug 26, 2010
WHEN Prince Adetokumbo Kayode, Minister of Defence, assumed office several months ago and undertook a familiarisation visit to the Defence Headquarters in Abuja, the media asked him what he and his Minister of State, Alhaji Murtala Shehu Yar’Adua intended to do about a very frightening issue but which is being neglected by government, which is the review of the terms and conditions of service (TACOS) of officers and soldiers of the Nigerian armed forces.

The reason for this question which was also asked his predecessor, Major General Godwin Abbe (rtd), and for which no satisfactory answer was given, is the underlying crisis that is threatening to blow out sooner or latter following underground grumblings and disillusionment among a sizeable majority of the military over what is perceived as ‘slave wages’ being paid to highly trained professionals who first and foremost, are to die for the nation if the need arises.

One decided to write on this issue in view of the consequences the continued neglect or silence over this burning issue is likely to generate if steps are not taken to immediately address the impending volcano.

There have been bitter complaints over salary, allowances, be it furniture, medical, hazards allowances, etc.

Read full story here:
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2010/08/26/the-armed-forces-tacos-pencom-and-the-rumbling-threat/
Re: The Armed Forces, Tacos, Pencom And The Rumbling Threat by jamace(m): 2:18pm On Aug 26, 2010
Government needs to listen and do something now. The armed forces remains the stabilizer of the existence of this country.
Re: The Armed Forces, Tacos, Pencom And The Rumbling Threat by Beaf: 2:29pm On Aug 26, 2010
jamace:

Government needs to listen and do something now. The armed forces remains the stabilizer of the existence of this country.

If that is true, then the country lacks any basis to exist. The only way to give every Nigerian a true sense of belonging and a state - citizen contract, is the establishment of true federalism. Govt systems and policies should keep the country stable, instead.

The army, like most of Nigeria might need better renumaration, because they deserve it, not because they stabilize the existence of the country (thats almost like saying they keep us all jailed in an unpromising marriage).
Re: The Armed Forces, Tacos, Pencom And The Rumbling Threat by Nobody: 3:01pm On Aug 26, 2010
Beaf:

If that is true, then the country lacks any basis to exist. The only way to give every Nigerian a true sense of belonging and a state - citizen contract, is the establishment of true federalism. Govt systems and policies should keep the country stable, instead.

The army, like most of Nigeria might need better renumaration, because they deserve it, not because they stabilize the existence of the country (thats almost like saying they keep us all jailed in an unpromising marriage).

The armed forces do stabilize the existence of the country, aside from the possibilities of coup d'etat, the soldiers are Nigeria's 1st line of defence in cases of civil unrest (Jos, Boko-Haram, Niger Delta etc) or national disaster, God forbid.

We don't really have a police force in this country, what we have is a criminal organisation of murderous bandits in uniform. The military (read Ibrahim Badamosi Babangida) ensured a complete emasculation of the NPF in order to consolidate their hold on power.

Looking the current state of the Nigerian Union from the right angles one would clearly see that IBB contributed more than any single individual to the ruination of this country. And he still wants to come back to Aso Rock.
Re: The Armed Forces, Tacos, Pencom And The Rumbling Threat by jamace(m): 2:27pm On Aug 27, 2010
I Hope the military will not attempt to go on strike if their demands are not met.
Re: The Armed Forces, Tacos, Pencom And The Rumbling Threat by EzeUche(m): 2:32pm On Aug 27, 2010
jamace:

I Hope the military will not attempt to go on strike if their demands are not met.

WE all know what the military will do if their demands are not met and it is not a strike.
Re: The Armed Forces, Tacos, Pencom And The Rumbling Threat by netotse(m): 2:37pm On Aug 27, 2010
@jamace
what are their demands? the article you pasted above doesn't make sense. . .are the military saying they want to go back to the days of veterans taking over the streets in the name of unpaid pension? prior to PENCOM there was a lot of fraud going on at the military pensions board it's possible the anti-PENCOM people are those that stand to benefit from leaving things the way they were back then

the chairman of PENCOM said(and i tend to agree) if there are any issues they should be solved administratively instead of going through policy reversals the way hookers go through prophylactics.
Re: The Armed Forces, Tacos, Pencom And The Rumbling Threat by jamace(m): 5:24pm On Aug 27, 2010
@jamace
what are their demands? the article you pasted above doesn't make sense. . .are the military saying they want to go back to the days of veterans taking over the streets in the name of unpaid pension? prior to PENCOM there was a lot of fraud going on at the military pensions board it's possible the anti-PENCOM people are those that stand to benefit from leaving things the way they were back then

the chairman of PENCOM said(and i tend to agree) if there are any issues they should be solved administratively instead of going through policy reversals the way hookers go through prophylactics

Apart from this article, I was privileged to have listened to the public debate organised by the house committee on pensions on NTA. I recall many things cited by the military why they want to withdraw from the scheme, such as:

1. That all over the world the military does not participate in contributory pension scheme.
2. That they are facing a lot of hardship presently because the money paid to them by the PFAs was too meagre to enable them start life after service.
3. That they worked for the nation for so many years only to have their money handed over to PFAs to do biz while they remain stranded with nothing to establish themselves.
4. That there is an existing legislation which established the military pensions board and so far the military pensions board has not been scrapped, it should continue to carter for them.
4. That there is a legislation that stipulates that whenever there was increment in the salaries of those in service, the retired ones too should benefit. But with PENCOM, such increment is not applicable.
5. That their colleagues who are not in the new pension scheme collected gratuity far greater than what the PFAs are paying now as LUMP SUM.
6. That the monthly pension of colleagues of same rank not under PENCOM is about 4 times what those under PENCOM collect per month. I could recall a retired officer (Colonel, I think) complaining bitterly that after serving 35 years, he was being paid about N30,000 per month while his colleague in the old scheme collected about N120,000 per month.

They were many other reasons which I can not recall at the moment.

I personally will suggest that the govt look into their case and resolve it as soon as possible.
Re: The Armed Forces, Tacos, Pencom And The Rumbling Threat by Nobody: 6:01pm On Aug 27, 2010
The old scheme is unsustainable, if they insist on it then they have to trade off regular payments for increased amounts. Finis.
Re: The Armed Forces, Tacos, Pencom And The Rumbling Threat by jamace(m): 2:06pm On Aug 28, 2010
The old scheme is unsustainable, if they insist on it then they have to trade off regular payments for increased amounts. Finis.

Whatever it is, I think the retired and even serving military personnel are not happy with the new scheme with the anttendant hardship faced by the retired ones. AS you suggested, maybe paying off should be adopted if the govt feels it cannot sustain the old scheme.

It is in the interest of the govt to take action now and shouldn't wait until the retirees have exhausted their patience, because by then it will not do the govt any good.
Re: The Armed Forces, Tacos, Pencom And The Rumbling Threat by Nobody: 5:50pm On Aug 30, 2010
jamace:

Whatever it is, I think the retired and even serving military personnel are not happy with the new scheme with the anttendant hardship faced by the retired ones. AS you suggested, maybe paying off should be adopted if the govt feels it cannot sustain the old scheme.

It is in the interest of the govt to take action now and shouldn't wait until the retirees have exhausted their patience, because by then it will not do the govt any good.

They are not better than the millions of other pensioners suffering under both the old & new schemes. Govt should be thinking to change the orientation of the military, reduce the percentage of lifetime soldiers in the force. Let soldiers serve renewable contracts of five or seven years each, and let them acquire marketable skills (aside from soldiering) while on the force.

That way, they retire from the force while they're still useful to themselves and the society, not when they are old and spent, having to go cap in hand for pension payments that are not forthcoming.
Re: The Armed Forces, Tacos, Pencom And The Rumbling Threat by jamace(m): 8:07pm On Aug 30, 2010
They are not better than the millions of other pensioners suffering under both the old & new schemes. [/b] Govt should be thinking to change the orientation of the military, reduce the percentage of lifetime soldiers in the force. Let soldiers serve renewable contracts of five or seven years each, and let them acquire marketable skills (aside from soldiering) while on the force.

That way, they retire from the force while they're still useful to themselves and the society, not when they are old and spent, having to go cap in hand for pension payments that are not forthcoming.

I have not read or heard where the military stated that they are better than other pensioners in the write-up. (Please note that I'm not the author of the write-up.) The military is only talking for itself and I believe every segment/outfit has the right to do so. After all, many sectors have been going on strike to press home their demands but I have not seen or heard the military go on strike for whatever reason. So, I think the author is only expressing concern about the adverse effect of the scheme on the military, which is he believes is brewing ill-feelings and is suggesting that the govt look passionately at their plight and do something.

What do you mean by let them acquire marketable skills? Are you saying military personnel have no qualifications necessary for civil employability? If that is what you mean, I am sorry, you are wrong. Let me just hint you that the military is not all about "guns and shooting" only.
If you want to know the military better, make enquiries or befriend one . And for your information, many retired personnel want to be self-employed and not go into another employment job after service, and without the money, they can not set-up their biznesses. This is the crux of the matter.

My brother, the labourer deserves his wage. Whether military personnel retire young or "spent" is irrelevant here. They have served the nation, so they should be paid their wages in full measure. I believe, this is what the military is asking for.
Re: The Armed Forces, Tacos, Pencom And The Rumbling Threat by hercules07: 12:46am On Aug 31, 2010
May I know what service you are talking about? I believe the military should be a professional institution where peeps can get free qualitative higher education while serving the nation for a few years in combat situations, those who wish to make it a career can do so and should fall within the pension system that is being run, as things improve, they get more remunerations.
The military we have is not professional, rather they are pepper souping and suyaing, apologies to the guy from Edo.
Re: The Armed Forces, Tacos, Pencom And The Rumbling Threat by jamace(m): 3:27pm On Aug 31, 2010
May I know what service you are talking about? I believe the military should be a professional institution where peeps can get free qualitative higher education while serving the nation for a few years in combat situations, those who wish to make it a career can do so and should fall within the pension system that is being run, as things improve, they get more remunerations.
The military we have is not professional, rather they are pepper souping and suyaing, apologies to the guy from Edo.

Are you now saying that they are being grossly underpaid as punishment for being unprofessional, pepper souping and suyaing?
Re: The Armed Forces, Tacos, Pencom And The Rumbling Threat by Nobody: 4:16pm On Aug 31, 2010
jamace:

Are you now saying that they are being grossly underpaid as punishment for being unprofessional, pepper souping and suyaing?

You can't expect competitive pay for little or no value added.
Re: The Armed Forces, Tacos, Pencom And The Rumbling Threat by jamace(m): 4:33pm On Aug 31, 2010
You can't expect competitive pay for little or no value added.

Why not suggest that the military be disbanded because they are valueless? Or don't you think the military can also be privatised because they don't add value to the existence of Nigeria? cheesy
Re: The Armed Forces, Tacos, Pencom And The Rumbling Threat by Nobody: 4:46pm On Aug 31, 2010
The average Nigerian soldier is underemployed, we all know what they do with their time grin

We need them on standby in cases of national emergency though so we cannot afford to disband them just yet grin But the armed services need to be overhauled & professionalized.

Government cannot afford to pay them mind-boggling sums as pension after they must have spent an entire lifetime drinking, womanizing and beating up civilians. Thank God they no longer have access to the national treasury.
Re: The Armed Forces, Tacos, Pencom And The Rumbling Threat by jamace(m): 5:04pm On Sep 01, 2010
^^^ Are civil employees in Nigeria not underemployed? We are on strike most of the time, agitating for one thing or the other. grin
Our politicians also are grossly underemployed, to worsen issues, our politicians loot whatever is kept under their care.

Drinking and womanizing are acts for most men.
Wait o. were you not the one I saw guldering and perpper- souping with one okpeke by your side at the joint over the weekend? grin Em, em, abeg take am easy o. Use the money to pay the military so that they will not beat us one day o. I hope you see how kidnapping is rampant, don't let some disgruntled ones join the act o because you could be the first victim grin grin
Re: The Armed Forces, Tacos, Pencom And The Rumbling Threat by jamace(m): 11:09am On Dec 22, 2011
I heard the military have left PENCOM. Somebody to confirm please.

Truely, PENCOM is not the best option for the Nigerian worker/retiree.

(1) (Reply)

Is This A School Or An Animal Farm? / Like Farouk, Like Femi Gbajabiamila,new Mr.integrity's Fraudulent Past Is Xposed / SW-residents Join SS In Asking 4 More Years For GEJ

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.