Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,718 members, 7,816,963 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:22 PM

The Making Of Our Earthen Fish Pond ( Pics, Videos) - Agriculture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / The Making Of Our Earthen Fish Pond ( Pics, Videos) (7281 Views)

Rent A Fish Farm On The Island, Lagos(earthen Ponds) / We Construct Earthen Ponds (best HABITAT) For Fishes CALL 08065781696 / Tarpaulin Fish Pond Price List - Cost Of Different Sizes Of Mobile Fish Ponds (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Making Of Our Earthen Fish Pond ( Pics, Videos) by gottliebglobal(m): 11:56am On Feb 28, 2019
okoroemeka:
I saw a system of preventing fishes to escape the pond in event of excessive flood water,a strong net was draped around the sides of the pond and reinforced and pegged strongly into the earth to a height of 2-3 feet,so even if the pond is covered with water no fishes will escape,and also the farmer has interesting stories to tell about fish eating birds picking fishes from the pond, monitor lizard eating fishes and the most bizzare is that he abandoned one pond because a crocodile is living inside,he has killed two crocodiles already,it's a fish farm owned by the Catholic Church it's big,one pond measures one plot of land and they have 17 ponds,I will try get pics tomorrow.
We will have the ponds netted as well. I believe they didn't delime the pond that's why predators found their way in there. You delime and cover the enter pond with the net. Wait for one week before introducing the juveniles and it would be good.
Re: The Making Of Our Earthen Fish Pond ( Pics, Videos) by adisabarber(m): 12:11pm On Feb 28, 2019
okoroemeka:
I saw a system of preventing fishes to escape the pond in event of excessive flood water,a strong net was draped around the sides of the pond and reinforced and pegged strongly into the earth to a height of 2-3 feet,so even if the pond is covered with water no fishes will escape,and also the farmer has interesting stories to tell about fish eating birds picking fishes from the pond, monitor lizard eating fishes and the most bizzare is that he abandoned one pond because a crocodile is living inside,he has killed two crocodiles already,it's a fish farm owned by the Catholic Church it's big,one pond measures one plot of land and they have 17 ponds,I will try get pics tomorrow.

shocked shocked shocked shocked
This one is serious o. Maybe he should get some local people to help him hunt it but the problem is there is the possibility that there are more than one there.
Re: The Making Of Our Earthen Fish Pond ( Pics, Videos) by gottliebglobal(m): 4:22pm On Feb 28, 2019
This is a case of getting more than you bargained for. grin grin grin
Re: The Making Of Our Earthen Fish Pond ( Pics, Videos) by okoroemeka(m): 1:41pm On Mar 01, 2019
I went to the Catholic Church fish pond near river agho in orumba south LGA,anambra state to supply garden egg seedlings and us simply inquisitive when the priest showed me the skin of an alligator he shot last week,he said the place is infested with crocodiles and alligators that I simply have to see with my eyes

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Making Of Our Earthen Fish Pond ( Pics, Videos) by okoroemeka(m): 1:45pm On Mar 01, 2019
They feed 25,000 fishes in one pond by building a 2000 capacity broiler pen above the ponds and feed the birds with extra protein feed,the fish eat the birds dropping s.

1 Like

Re: The Making Of Our Earthen Fish Pond ( Pics, Videos) by okoroemeka(m): 1:47pm On Mar 01, 2019
Area prone to heavy flooding are protected with strong nets

Re: The Making Of Our Earthen Fish Pond ( Pics, Videos) by okoroemeka(m): 1:52pm On Mar 01, 2019
This are the earthern pond pics,it's 100×50 feet in measurements and they have 17 of it,out of which 5 that are nearest to the river has been abandoned to crocodiles,you have to see this project site to appreciate the scale and dedication of the staff,it's incredible.

1 Like

Re: The Making Of Our Earthen Fish Pond ( Pics, Videos) by okoroemeka(m): 1:57pm On Mar 01, 2019
More pics

1 Like

Re: The Making Of Our Earthen Fish Pond ( Pics, Videos) by okoroemeka(m): 2:06pm On Mar 01, 2019
I really have to convince the workers that it's a good idea to take pics of the abandoned ponds that has been taken over by vicious reptiles that lunge out and attack anything moving by the side without provocation,years of conflict with humanity has made the reptiles to adapt to a new levels of predatory ambush attack,we have to stay far away to take this pics, don't try this at home !!!!

1 Like

Re: The Making Of Our Earthen Fish Pond ( Pics, Videos) by okoroemeka(m): 2:18pm On Mar 01, 2019
adisabarber:

shocked shocked shocked shocked
This one is serious o. Maybe he should get some local people to help him hunt it but the problem is there is the possibility that there are more than one there.
the problem is even worse than I thought,the fish farm had to use strong wire gauze fence to block off all the earth ponds to prevent reptiles from going into the fish ponds at night from the abandoned ponds, hunting and killing then is out of questions,the size ,speed,style of attack, cunning of the creature makes it impossible to approach without lossing a limb or two, moreover conventional shotguns are useless against the tough skin,the ones they kill got entangled in the wire gauze, making it easy to kill.according to the workers and marks seen by me on the mud easily 10-15 feet size creatures are living in and around the area and the no is estimated at 7-12 animals
Re: The Making Of Our Earthen Fish Pond ( Pics, Videos) by gottliebglobal(m): 2:28pm On Mar 02, 2019
shocked shocked shocked
I am totally speechless. I believe if they did regular checks on the ponds they could have noticed the baby crocs on time. Sorting after 30 days, pumping the water out and liming the ponds.
They should just turn the crocs infested ponds into a zoo. grin

1 Like

Re: The Making Of Our Earthen Fish Pond ( Pics, Videos) by gottliebglobal(m): 3:18pm On Mar 02, 2019
Our pond 1 is now completed and we are in the process of fertilizing it now.

Re: The Making Of Our Earthen Fish Pond ( Pics, Videos) by Tochex101(m): 8:12pm On Mar 02, 2019
okoroemeka:
the problem is even worse than I thought,the fish farm had to use strong wire gauze fence to block off all the earth ponds to prevent reptiles from going into the fish ponds at night from the abandoned ponds, hunting and killing then is out of questions,the size ,speed,style of attack, cunning of the creature makes it impossible to approach without lossing a limb or two, moreover conventional shotguns are useless against the tough skin,the ones they kill got entangled in the wire gauze, making it easy to kill.according to the workers and marks seen by me on the mud easily 10-15 feet size creatures are living in and around the area and the no is estimated at 7-12 animals

Since they are locked off the fertile ponds, how have they been adapting..... I'm curious,cos to grow 15ft long means they are feeding properly but how
Re: The Making Of Our Earthen Fish Pond ( Pics, Videos) by jigga90: 10:14pm On Mar 02, 2019
gottliebglobal:
Our pond 1 is now completed and we are in the process of fertilizing it now.
please what are the processes involved in fertilizing ?
Re: The Making Of Our Earthen Fish Pond ( Pics, Videos) by gottliebglobal(m): 4:11pm On Mar 03, 2019
Its adding nitrogen to the water. The cheapest way to do that is adding chicken droppings. Sorry, I couldn't answer until now. Have a happy Sunday
Re: The Making Of Our Earthen Fish Pond ( Pics, Videos) by gottliebglobal(m): 4:23pm On Mar 03, 2019
The digging of the 2nd pond is in progress. We hit water already @ 2 feet grin This is gonna be interesting.

Re: The Making Of Our Earthen Fish Pond ( Pics, Videos) by fayahsoul: 4:43pm On Mar 03, 2019
okoroemeka:
They feed 25,000 fishes in one pond by building a 2000 capacity broiler pen above the ponds and feed the birds with extra protein feed,the fish eat the birds dropping s.
hmmm...the stench over there must be traumatizing
Re: The Making Of Our Earthen Fish Pond ( Pics, Videos) by gottliebglobal(m): 4:55pm On Mar 03, 2019
fayahsoul:

It the stench translates into money......I'll take it. grin
Re: The Making Of Our Earthen Fish Pond ( Pics, Videos) by okoroemeka(m): 7:47pm On Mar 03, 2019
fayahsoul:

no smell,the fish eats the chicken poo
Re: The Making Of Our Earthen Fish Pond ( Pics, Videos) by okoroemeka(m): 7:49pm On Mar 03, 2019
Tochex101:

Since they are locked off the fertile ponds, how have they been adapting..... I'm curious,cos to grow 15ft long means they are feeding properly but how
they still have access to the river, moreover I am not waiting to find out,the easiest way to commit suicide is to approach the ponds,you will be taken.
Re: The Making Of Our Earthen Fish Pond ( Pics, Videos) by smartoskie(m): 11:06am On Mar 05, 2019
gottliebglobal:
Its adding nitrogen to the water. The cheapest way to do that is adding chicken droppings. Sorry, I couldn't answer until now. Have a happy Sunday

Please what determines the quantity of chicken droppings to use in the pond and what is the process of applying it like?
Re: The Making Of Our Earthen Fish Pond ( Pics, Videos) by gottliebglobal(m): 2:45pm On Mar 07, 2019
smartoskie:

Please what determines the quantity of chicken droppings to use in the pond and what is the process of applying it like?
The size of the pond determines that. I applied mind to the pond while still in bags. Some people mix it with water, sieve it out and apply directly.
Re: The Making Of Our Earthen Fish Pond ( Pics, Videos) by gottliebglobal(m): 2:47pm On Mar 07, 2019
We netted our first pond today while still fertilizing. The water has already changed color and the pH is optimal.
We are now waiting to lime and stock next week. Stay tuned.

Re: The Making Of Our Earthen Fish Pond ( Pics, Videos) by DEBJOCH1(m): 3:12pm On Mar 07, 2019
My pound.
Re: The Making Of Our Earthen Fish Pond ( Pics, Videos) by gottliebglobal(m): 4:49pm On Mar 07, 2019
DEBJOCH1:
My pound.
Yes, Sir
Re: The Making Of Our Earthen Fish Pond ( Pics, Videos) by Baroba(m): 6:33pm On Mar 07, 2019
Interesting thread, quite enjoyable to read this, never knew with still had good number of crocs in South East Nigeria..
Re: The Making Of Our Earthen Fish Pond ( Pics, Videos) by gottliebglobal(m): 8:19pm On Mar 07, 2019
Thank you for stopping by. Come back for updates on the progress of this venture.
Re: The Making Of Our Earthen Fish Pond ( Pics, Videos) by adisabarber(m): 8:18am On Mar 08, 2019
gottliebglobal:
We netted our first pond today while still fertilizing. The water has already changed color and the pH is optimal.
We are now waiting to lime and stock next week. Stay tuned.

Is there no danger in not lining the walls completely with sand bags?
Re: The Making Of Our Earthen Fish Pond ( Pics, Videos) by ogbongenet: 9:21am On Mar 08, 2019
Bought some chemical at federal ministry of Agriculture today... At very cheap price compared to what they sell at market, the difference between the price is up to 800# per bottle. What I use to buy 1700 was sold to me for 1043#.it is available across the nation,check your locality. Chemicals available are Herbicide, fungicide, insecticide etc.
If you can't get it in your area I can be of help.08060115253
Re: The Making Of Our Earthen Fish Pond ( Pics, Videos) by gottliebglobal(m): 6:31pm On Mar 09, 2019
How much is Force Toxin?
Re: The Making Of Our Earthen Fish Pond ( Pics, Videos) by champeeon(m): 7:59pm On Mar 09, 2019
I've been following your post since you begin sharing them. I must commend you for the great work you are doing. Kudos to you.
From my experience you don't really need to lime a pond after fertilizing it. The work of liming is to reduce the acidity of a pond and normalize it's pH. Lime is also added to pond that do not respond to fertilization. Adding lime at the same time as fertilizer can make the phosphorus and nitrogen in the fertilizer bot available. (anyone should correct me if I'm wrong.)
I wish you success as you progress. Cheers!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Borno Flags Off Cbn's Anchor Borrowers Programme (photos) / Pls I Need To Sell My Maize (fresh) / My Snail Farm with minimum Cost and Labour. See Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.