Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,316 members, 7,815,583 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:49 PM

Do You Always Tell Foreign Nationals Positive Things About Nigeria? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Do You Always Tell Foreign Nationals Positive Things About Nigeria? (5429 Views)

Boko Haram: Always Tell Nigerians The Truth – Ezekwesili To Buhari / Nigeria Will Evacuate Nationals If South Africa Attacks Worsen – Minister / Positive Things About Africa You Won't Hear In The West - Bbc Reporter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do You Always Tell Foreign Nationals Positive Things About Nigeria? by VPersie: 2:45am On Aug 27, 2010
Some months ago, a colleague was asking me questions about Nigeria so she could become more familiar with Nigerian culture etc. I spoke extemporaneously and at length about Nigeria' potential, and failure of leadership. I also talked about how the poor education system was a good enough reason to leave Nigeria and how life is relatively short and brutish in Nigeria. On security, she asked me, "If I come to Nigeria, is it pretty likely that I will get robbed?" I thought for some time. My mind flashed back to the agberos on the streets of Ojuelegba, where I lived before I left Nigeria. I replied, "Yes. Very likely." In retrospect, I feel bad about my answer because I feel like I painted Nigeria in a poor light. Unfortunately, the pattern repeats itself very often. Anytime I speak to a foreigner about Nigeria, I always end up saying so many negative things that I feel like I am being unpatriotic or being a self-hater. I once met one white man after the USA-Ghana game at the world cup. He came to me to make small talk and started launching a barrage of criticisms about Nigeria and Africa in general. I found myself nodding in agreement to all his negative talk. This also made me feel like I was under mental-colonization or something.

Does anyone else have similar experiences?

How do you handle it?

How should I handle this in the future?
Re: Do You Always Tell Foreign Nationals Positive Things About Nigeria? by Travelista(f): 3:40am On Aug 27, 2010
*looks at OP's handle*

Hmmm. . .since you're so open with Nigeria's negative aspects regarding culture, security, et al, did you tell her that you're a pervert or are you uncomfortable sharing your [i]personal [/i]shortcomings with those you know in real life? I hope she knows that if she has a young daughter, she'd be wise to keep her away from you as you love them young and tender and will likely force yourself on her.

As for your question, I answer honestly. I speak well of Nigeria but I don't lie. I tell them electricity is so unstable, you need a generator and people carelessly dump trash everywhere but the country is like no other and an experience to cherish.

Nice question but you're still gross.
Re: Do You Always Tell Foreign Nationals Positive Things About Nigeria? by Beaf: 3:48am On Aug 27, 2010
VPersie:

Some months ago, a colleague was asking me questions about Nigeria so she could become more familiar with Nigerian culture etc. I spoke extemporaneously and at length about Nigeria' potential, and failure of leadership. I also talked about how the poor education system was a good enough reason to leave Nigeria and how life is relatively short and brutish in Nigeria. On security, she asked me, "If I come to Nigeria, is it pretty likely that I will get robbed?" I thought for some time. My mind flashed back to the agberos on the streets of Ojuelegba, where I lived before I left Nigeria. I replied, "Yes. Very likely." In retrospect, I feel bad about my answer because I feel like I painted Nigeria in a poor light. Unfortunately, the pattern repeats itself very often. Anytime I speak to a foreigner about Nigeria, I always end up saying so many negative things that I feel like I am being unpatriotic or being a self-hater. I once met one white man after the USA-Ghana game at the world cup. He came to me to make small talk and started launching a barrage of criticisms about Nigeria and Africa in general. [b]I found myself nodding in agreement to all his negative tal[/b]k. This also made me feel like I was under mental-colonization or something.

Does anyone else have similar experiences?

How do you handle it?

How should I handle this in the future?

With this sort of low self esteem, you might be better off lying down on Ikorodu road for molues to do their worst or better still, use the runway at Nnamdi Azikiwe airport. . . At least the plane might be going abroad.
Fool, you think there are no negatives in oyibo land? Someone came at you with a barrage, only because they noticed you were weak thats all.

. . ."Nodding in agreement!" i'm here crying.
Re: Do You Always Tell Foreign Nationals Positive Things About Nigeria? by Eziachi: 3:50am On Aug 27, 2010
You are not meant to tell anyone, good things about yourself but rather allow them to see all the good things about yourself and let tem make up their own mind based on that.
That is more endearing than telling lies. However, unfortunately, with Nigeria, there nothing for any observer to see in terms of positiveness.
By saying the truth, rather then lying in the name of patriotism, may have endear you and your country in the eyes of the questioner because most people do appreciate honesty rather than things they will later find out to be fantasies.
Re: Do You Always Tell Foreign Nationals Positive Things About Nigeria? by VPersie: 4:11am On Aug 27, 2010
@travelsita

Don't worry she does not have a daughter. So I am scheming on how to handle her personally. *Smacks his lips*

Oh I cannot wait to finally taste her fruit. Three of us could link up for a party and if things go well, I could marry you both, although you will both be over-age. But then we understand Nigerians and being over-age is like bread and butter.

@ Beaf

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=503511.msg6646415#msg6646415

The above thread was referring to peeps like you. Now cool down, put down the crack you are smoking, think carefully, and say something intelligent that we all know you are capable of saying. Please make us all proud by not insulting, so that we will not wish that the embryo that made you had gone for stem-cell research instead.
Re: Do You Always Tell Foreign Nationals Positive Things About Nigeria? by Travelista(f): 4:31am On Aug 27, 2010
VPersie:

@travelsita

Don't worry she does not have a daughter. So I am scheming on how to handle her personally. *Smacks his lips*

Oh I cannot wait to finally taste her fruit. Three of us could link up for a triple sin and if things go well, I could marry you both, although you will both be over-age. But then we understand Nigerians and being over-age is like bread and butter.

@ Beaf

The above thread was referring to peeps like you. Now cool down, put down the crack you are smoking, think carefully, and say something intelligent that we all know you are capable of saying. Please make us all proud by not insulting, so that we will not wish that the embryo that made you had gone for stem-cell research instead.

*smiles*

Does Baby Bride approve of your shenanigans or is she too busy jumping rope and playing with Barbies? Thanks for the offer but I'm taken; besides, you wouldn't get a second glance under current circumstances seeing as you're 1.) a pedo, 2.) barely employed and 3.) a desperate wannabe. I prefer men that are proud of themselves and their heritage, no matter how bad things may be, they still see the beauty in their homelands.
Re: Do You Always Tell Foreign Nationals Positive Things About Nigeria? by Beaf: 4:34am On Aug 27, 2010
VPersie:

@travelsita

Oh I cannot wait to finally taste her fruit. Three of us could link up for a triple sin and if things go well, I could marry you both, although you will both be over-age. But then we understand Nigerians and being over-age is like bread and butter.

@ Beaf

So you get maut! But when you see oyibo, your knees start knocking and you begin voluntarily confessing the depths of your foolishness. The embryo that made you is not even fit for stem cell research, it should have been treated with pesticides and binned for the good of mankind.
Re: Do You Always Tell Foreign Nationals Positive Things About Nigeria? by Nobody: 4:45am On Aug 27, 2010
How Can I Become Popular On Nairaland https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-476925.0.html

VPersie:

I know, but I will keep up the good fight, I will finish the race, I will achieve my destiny.

This is my calling. It has been written, and I must accomplish it.

This is my chance to answer that call. This is my moment. This is my time - to make everyone that ever visits NL notice me; to redefine popularity and promote the cause of self-aggrandizement; to reclaim The Dream and reaffirm that fundamental truth - that though you are many, I am the One; that while I breathe, I hope, and where I am met with cynicism, and doubt, and those who tell me that I cant, I will respond with that timeless creed that sums up the spirit of a man on a quest:

Yes I Can. Yes I Can Become The Most Popular Person on NL. Thank you, God bless you, and may God Bless NairaLand.

I guess this thread is your alternative abi
Re: Do You Always Tell Foreign Nationals Positive Things About Nigeria? by Beaf: 4:53am On Aug 27, 2010
^
What a funny thread. Now I now where the dufus is coming from! He's just another super insecure morafuka!

VPersie: As a follow-up to Jarus' thread on NL unsung heroes, I will ask for suggestions on what I can do to become popular on NairaLand. I need lots of attention.

Dude only has fruit and veg between his legs!

@VPersie
When you look in the mirror, don't you annoy yourself?
www.nairaland.com/attachments/180447_ROTFLMAO_gif3d0c775232c7f27cf80592785b9635b6
Re: Do You Always Tell Foreign Nationals Positive Things About Nigeria? by Nobody: 6:12am On Aug 27, 2010
don't mind them vperise, not everyone has bought into dora's rebranding bs - (trying to pass off sheet as cheese)

your friend would have seen it all for herself if she came to nigeria - right from the airport

the same people chastising you start crying foul when foreign news agencies report bad things going on in nigeria -

whining about how the western media is out to get us

you could have burnished it up though - the flip side is that nigeria is so poorly regulated that it is easy to get rich (especially if you're the unscrupulous type) , and if you're rich enough, you can GET AWAY WITH LITERALLY ANYTHING.

anyway, foreign nationals have access to tv - they don't really need you to lie to them.

1 Like

Re: Do You Always Tell Foreign Nationals Positive Things About Nigeria? by bkbabe97y(m): 6:38am On Aug 27, 2010
Travelista:

*looks at OP's handle*

Hmmm. . .since you're so open with Nigeria's negative aspects regarding culture, security, et al, did you tell her that you're a pervert or are you uncomfortable sharing your [i]personal [/i]shortcomings with those you know in real life? I hope she knows that if she has a young daughter, she'd be wise to keep her away from you as you love them young and tender and will likely force yourself on her.

As for your question, I answer honestly. I speak well of Nigeria but I don't lie. I tell them electricity is so unstable, you need a generator and people carelessly dump trash everywhere but the country is like no other and an experience to cherish.

Nice question but you're still gross.

Beaf:

With this sort of low self esteem, you might be better off lying down on Ikorodu road for molues to do their worst or better still, use the runway at Nnamdi Azikiwe airport. . . At least the plane might be going abroad.
Fool, you think there are no negatives in oyibo land? Someone came at you with a barrage, only because they noticed you were weak thats all.

. . ."Nodding in agreement!" i'm here crying.

Beaf:

So you get maut! But when you see oyibo, your knees start knocking and you begin voluntarily confessing the depths of your foolishness. The embryo that made you is not even fit for stem cell research, it should have been treated with pesticides and binned for the good of mankind.

Beaf:

Dude only has fruit and veg between his legs!

@VPersie
When you look in the mirror, don't you annoy yourself?
www.nairaland.com/attachments/180447_ROTFLMAO_gif3d0c775232c7f27cf80592785b9635b6

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA. LOLOLOLOLOL. HAHAHAHAHAHHA. ROFLMAO! HAHAHAHHA! I actually got tears streaming down my beautiful, se.xy, brown eyes. . . . lol. Oh, shiyyyt! I think I just woke my daughter up! fuxck u Travelista and Beaf! angry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4ohhyK-IVU&feature=related
Re: Do You Always Tell Foreign Nationals Positive Things About Nigeria? by OvieE: 1:15pm On Aug 27, 2010
oyb:

don't mind them vperise, not everyone has bought into dora's rebranding bs - (trying to pass off sheet as cheese)

your friend would have seen it all for herself if she came to nigeria - right from the airport

the same people chastising you start crying foul when foreign news agencies report bad things going on in nigeria -

whining about how the western media is out to get us

you could have burnished it up though - the flip side is that nigeria is so poorly regulated that it is easy to get rich (especially if you're the unscrupulous type) , and if you're rich enough, you can GET AWAY WITH LITERALLY ANYTHING.

anyway, foreign nationals have access to tv - they don't really need you to lie to them.

I support you on this.
Re: Do You Always Tell Foreign Nationals Positive Things About Nigeria? by Ikwikwikwi(m): 2:22pm On Aug 27, 2010
Chei, abeg una oyibo don too much. Make una no kill the small been to boi abeg. Dem say small pikin wey carry him papa up carelessly, him papa ngwongwo fit throw way scatter him eye.
Re: Do You Always Tell Foreign Nationals Positive Things About Nigeria? by Nobody: 2:30pm On Aug 27, 2010
Poster
there are two sides of every story. . .you tell the good and also tell the bad.no matter how bad nigeria could be,there are still some good aspect of it.so lying doesnt really makes any different.
Re: Do You Always Tell Foreign Nationals Positive Things About Nigeria? by Tcrack(m): 2:46pm On Aug 27, 2010
yes i do. including things that are far from true. EG 24 hours power supply. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Do You Always Tell Foreign Nationals Positive Things About Nigeria? by MetalGong4: 2:47pm On Aug 27, 2010
bk.babe97y:

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA. LOLOLOLOLOL. HAHAHAHAHAHHA. ROFLMAO! HAHAHAHHA! I actually got tears streaming down my beautiful, se.xy, brown eyes. . . . lol. Oh, shiyyyt! I think I just woke my daughter up! fuxck u Travelista and Beaf! angry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4ohhyK-IVU&feature=related

How do you take care of this bastar d child with your level of imbecility.
Re: Do You Always Tell Foreign Nationals Positive Things About Nigeria? by Ranoscky(m): 2:53pm On Aug 27, 2010
^^^^^^
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin I JUST CAN'T STOP LAFFIN! grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin  grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin METAL GONG, U HAVE KILLED ME WITH LAFF! grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin ;DU MEAN BK.BABE IS AN IM-BECILE ? grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin FEEL SO SORRY FOR AN IM-BECILE BABY cry cry cry
Re: Do You Always Tell Foreign Nationals Positive Things About Nigeria? by Ranoscky(m): 3:08pm On Aug 27, 2010
Every country on dis planet earth has good n bad places in it! I love Nigeria to d core dat d more dey spit shyt about nigeria, d more im lovin it more n more! whoever does not lyk it should go n drink RAW ACID!

FEELS GOOD TO BE A FLYGERIAN!!!
Re: Do You Always Tell Foreign Nationals Positive Things About Nigeria? by buzugee(m): 3:19pm On Aug 27, 2010
i dont talk to white men. PERIOD. unless we have some business together or we work together in which case i keep it STRICTLY professional. so issues like this can never arise for me. as per white women ? well the ones i am hiding my sausage in, i tell them positive things about nigeria. they end up loving nigerian food and thats all they eat now grin grin

van persie, please do not allow yourself to be used as doormat by oyinbos
Re: Do You Always Tell Foreign Nationals Positive Things About Nigeria? by kokoye(m): 3:20pm On Aug 27, 2010
@ poster,

Now you are becoming popular with this thread . . at least it made the almighty front page.

keep brewing threads like this and you'll be bigger than Seun in no time . .maybe even take over Nailaland without paying 25million naira  grin
Re: Do You Always Tell Foreign Nationals Positive Things About Nigeria? by buzugee(m): 3:28pm On Aug 27, 2010
Ranoscky:

Every country on dis planet earth has good n bad places in it! I love Nigeria to d core dat d more dey spit shyt about nigeria, d more im lovin it more n more! whoever does not lyk it should go n drink RAW ACID!

FEELS GOOD TO BE A FLYGERIAN!!!

FLYGERIAN grin grin i likes
Re: Do You Always Tell Foreign Nationals Positive Things About Nigeria? by Dirichi: 3:54pm On Aug 27, 2010
I love Naija, come rain,come shine. Everybody have a place to call home and Naija is my territory. At least i know naija pass oyinbos. I JUST LOVE NAIJERIA. grin grin cool
Re: Do You Always Tell Foreign Nationals Positive Things About Nigeria? by kabukabu(m): 4:20pm On Aug 27, 2010
There are two differnet types of foreigners you encounter overseas,the folks that watch National Geographic and wonder if Africans have anything but strife/famine/disease,and those who have been to either africa or other third world countries for vacation/school trips or some kind of peace corps/church activity. grin

Most well educated/travelled whites know more about the positives in most third world countries than your average whites who nave never been outside of the country.

Usually when conversing with the latter,I remind them that most likely its Nigerian gas thats in their car right now,as the US is the foremost importer of our Light sweet bonny crude.With well educated whites,they usually know much more,they reference Fela,Abacha,our educational and sports prowess.
Re: Do You Always Tell Foreign Nationals Positive Things About Nigeria? by tpiah: 4:30pm On Aug 27, 2010
most likely its Nigerian gas thats in their car right now

in fact, nigeria's bad image seems directly proportional to the amount of gas she produces.

just an observation.
Re: Do You Always Tell Foreign Nationals Positive Things About Nigeria? by buzugee(m): 4:34pm On Aug 27, 2010
tpiah:

in fact, nigeria's bad image seems directly proportional to the amount of gas she produces.

just an observation.

and the amount of gas she produces seems inversely proportional to the number of wealthy people in nigeria grin
Re: Do You Always Tell Foreign Nationals Positive Things About Nigeria? by egu(m): 5:23pm On Aug 27, 2010
Yes. last week, the impression my boss had of nigerian girls was unfair. And true to his imaginings,they fall over themselves and sometimes beg us to connect them. So,I told him that nigerian women are a very decent lot. When he tried to argue the point,I told him point blank that the girls he meets at the clubs in ph are for the highest bidder,and that there is no way a true brought up nigerian woman will behave the way they do. He got the point. The problems we have in nigeria are human and are found in every country. Nigeria is even better off than most of other countries.
Re: Do You Always Tell Foreign Nationals Positive Things About Nigeria? by george23: 5:38pm On Aug 27, 2010
One who isn't saying the nicest things about Nigeria to foreigners would be doing himself and Nigeria a disservice.
Re: Do You Always Tell Foreign Nationals Positive Things About Nigeria? by jokingmary(m): 7:55pm On Aug 27, 2010
george23:

One who isn't saying the nicest things about Nigeria to foreigners would be doing himself and Nigeria a disservice.
Oh really undecided
Re: Do You Always Tell Foreign Nationals Positive Things About Nigeria? by Boboribo: 8:26pm On Aug 27, 2010
I dont need to tell them anything positive or negative.  They know Nigeria more than you.
Re: Do You Always Tell Foreign Nationals Positive Things About Nigeria? by bkbabe97y(m): 8:28pm On Aug 27, 2010
Ranoscky:

^^^^^^
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin ;

Could u please get ur face from outta between my butt cheeks. . . Thanx in advance!
Re: Do You Always Tell Foreign Nationals Positive Things About Nigeria? by bkbabe97y(m): 8:30pm On Aug 27, 2010
MetalGong4:

How do you take care of this bastar d child with your level of imbecility.

Now, its [b]MENTAL[/b]gong4. . . . . ?! Keep going, eventually, [b]MENTAL[/b]gong15,908,057,987,441 wont look that far off no more! grin
Re: Do You Always Tell Foreign Nationals Positive Things About Nigeria? by LFJ: 8:50pm On Aug 27, 2010
Electricity - No
Health care system - No
Security - No
Road - No
Education - Zero
Economy Development - Zero
Good water system - Zero
Transportation system - Hun! Hun!
Governance - zero
Criminals in position of Authority - Yes
Corruption - Yes
Fake drug - Yes
Company closing down - Yes
Unemployment – yes
Poverty – yes
Child abuse – yes
Women abuse – yes
Sound Financial Institution - No

If all these are missing in the life of a country, I don’t know what else to proud about that country. Please, somebody should lecture me. Let us tell who is cared to know the truth. Denial the fact will not change anything.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

AWOLOWO'S CRIMES AGAINST IGBOS / Dino Melaye Officially Unveiled As Gold Circle Condom Ambassador(pics) / Buhari - Chess Strategy - Appoint T.bakare As EFCC Head - Keep Magu As Deputy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.