Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,224 members, 7,818,765 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:19 AM

Election: Soldiers Harass Journalists In Bauchi - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Election: Soldiers Harass Journalists In Bauchi (197 Views)

FG Condemns Israel's Attacks On Journalists In Gaza / JUNE 12: I Go Fire You – Police Officer Threatens To Shoot Journalists In Lagos / El-Zakzaky Donates Food Items To Journalists In Kaduna (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Election: Soldiers Harass Journalists In Bauchi by Kanixt(m): 11:47am On Feb 23, 2019
Election: Soldiers harass Journalists in Bauchi

It was nightmare for some journalists covering the Presidential and National Assembly election taking place today in Bauchi as armed soldiers along the Bauchi - Tafawa Balewa road harassed them in the course of carrying out their duties.

The nasty experience first started at Dass local government when a fierce looking officer, lieutenant Y Ahmed, stopped a correspondent chapel bus conveying journalists on election duty.

One of the journalists explained to him politely that they were journalists on election duty. This innocent introduction did not go well with the officer who barked 'park! park! as his subordinates joined the fray to querie the journalists.

"Are you more special than us? If you are on election duty so what? Park my friend. See my name. You want to see my name? Whoever you what to call, call,"

The reporters were taken aback by the sudden emotional outburst of the officer without any provocation.

What was amazing was that all the journalists were putting on the vests and p-caps givens by INEC to accredited journalists.

Since the officer kept ranting even subordinates brandished their guns, one of the journalists stated that if the Lieutenant would border to seek the identity of the people I'm the bus, he would discover that some are very senior and experienced journalists. This further infuriated became more livid, saying "because you are journalists you want us to come and bow down for you?, he retorted as he went about attending to some civilians inside J-4 bus that they had stopped.

It took the intervention of the Chairman of the Correspondent's Chapel, Mr Segun Awofadeji, who was leading the team, to calm the situation as after calmly explaining the mision as the Lieutenant became sober .

After few minutes of doing nothing, he eventually order the bus to proceed, but the damage is done as the journalists were unable to meet Speaker Yakubu Dogara cast his vote at his polling unit at the Gwaranga poling unit at 9: 45.

(1) (Reply)

Toward A New Force: African Poli Politics And People / Ekweremadu Retains Senatorial Seat For The Fifth Time / Akeredolu’s Second Year Anniversary

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.