Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,663 members, 7,823,879 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 05:11 PM

What Is The Craziest Fact About Pablo Escobar? - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / What Is The Craziest Fact About Pablo Escobar? (1947 Views)

Pablo Escobar's Nephew Finds £14million Cash In A Wall In One Of His Houses / Colombia Tears Down Drug Lord Pablo Escobar's Eight-storey Apartment. / 12 Things You Probably Don't Know About Pablo Escobar (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The Craziest Fact About Pablo Escobar? by CalciumB3: 11:49pm On Feb 23, 2019
A few facts about the most notorious drug kingpin ever, Pablo Escobar.

When Escobar born in 1949 in Antioquia, Colombia .His mother was a School Teacher and his father was a Farmer. When he was still in school he used to steal and sell tombstones to smugglers. He was a car thief for a brief period of time and performed a kidnapping once. After dabbling in the small crime industry, Escobar got serious about it and entered the cocaine trade in the early 1970s.

On the streets of Medellin, Pablo started his criminal career in his teens. Pablo was ambitious from the beginning, and he used to tell his friends that he would be a millionaire by the time he was 22.

During a trip to Ecuador for a shipment of cocaine paste, Escobar got caught and arrested. He tried to bribe the judge but failed. He did manage to bribe the arresting officers, leading to all charges being dropped.

Escobar’s signature approach was called “plata o plomo”, meaning “silver or lead”which meant, accept money; or face bullets. Whoever couldn’t be bribed was killed. An estimated 200 judges, dozens of journalists, three Colombian presidential candidates, an attorney general, a justice minister and more than 1,000 cops refused to take the silver, so they had to suffer the lead.

By the 1980s, Escobar controlled 80% of the cocaine traffic going into the US. The cartel moved 70 to 80 tons of cocaine into the country per month. At the height of his reign Pablo Escobar was making around $420 million each week.

His yearly earnings peaked at an estimated $30 billion a year. That including the $1-2 billion in losses a month.

About 10% of Escobar’s earnings were lost to spoilage. It is likely that rats consumed a large bulk of the bills.

Escobar spent roughly $2,500 a month on rubber bands for his cash.

From 1987 until 1993, Escobar made the Forbes’ list of international billionaires. In 1989, he ranked as the seventh-richest man in the world.

Escobar has so much money he bought a 7.7-square-mile estate and had a go-kart track on it, a private airport, and an actual zoo. It had giraffes, lions, elephants and hippos. Yes, lions. It is said that this place hosted drug fueled parties where Colombia’s most powerful and most beautiful people gathered.

Despite his horrific business dealings, Escobar was celebrated by the poor people of Colombia. He was known to give money to churches, hospitals, establish food programs and built parks and soccer stadiums.He even earned the nickname ‘Robin Hood’ by the poor, even after he was labeled a drug kingpin.Other popular nicknames included ‘Don Pablo’ and ‘El Patron’.

In 1982, Escobar got himself elected to Colombia’s Congress. Two years later, Minister of Justice Rodrigo Lara Bonilla had him removed from the Congress. Escobar had him killed.

However, it didn’t stop there. In 1989, he attempted to kill presidential candidate Cesar Gaviria Trujillo, but couldn’t get close enough to target him, so he had the airliner Trujillo was a passenger on bombed. It killed 110 people, but not Trujillo.

Escobar finally surrendered to Colombian authorities in 1991. He made a deal that sent him to “La Catedral”, a prison he helped design. In typical Escobar fashion, the prison had a soccer field, jacuzzi, bar, and even a waterfall. He continued to run his operations from his detention center, nicknamed “Club Medellin”, which was easy since he chose his own guards.

When the authorities tried to move him to a real prison, Escobar escaped from La Catedral and went into hiding with his family. One night, when they hid in a cave, he burned $2 million cash to keep his daughter warm.

It was known that Pablo’s greatest fear was extradition. He said he’d rather “be in a grave in Colombia than a cell in the United States.” The fear was so great, he attempted to change Colombia’s law of extradition by paying the country’s entire debt – an estimated $10 billion. A plan that ultimately failed.

He continued his criminal activities from within ‘La Catedral’ and hence the authorities planned to shift him to another cell. Pablo however discovered the plan and made an unhurried escape.

Escobar stayed in the lion’s den while the authorities were after him. In 1993, a special Colombian task force called in Search Bloc three different Special Operations units of the National Police of Colombia hunted Escobar down. They found him right there in Medellin, living in a middle class home.

Thousands of mourners crowded a muddy hilltop cemetery to bury Pablo Escobar. A ruthless cocaine baron to the outside world was a folk hero to many poorer residents of Medellin's tough hillside shantytowns.

Pablo Emilio Escobar Gaviria.

Born: December 1, 1949
Died : December 2, 1993
Re: What Is The Craziest Fact About Pablo Escobar? by Hdayo1(m): 11:52pm On Feb 23, 2019
Ok
Re: What Is The Craziest Fact About Pablo Escobar? by Gracespecial101(m): 12:26am On Feb 24, 2019
Wow Nice piece for a Criminal

1 Like

Re: What Is The Craziest Fact About Pablo Escobar? by CreepyBlackpool: 2:28am On Feb 24, 2019
I want to be like Pablo Escobar when I grow up smiley

1 Like

Re: What Is The Craziest Fact About Pablo Escobar? by jerflakes(m): 8:33am On Feb 24, 2019
CreepyBlackpool:
I want to be like Pablo Escobar when I grow up smiley

Mah niga

5 Likes

Re: What Is The Craziest Fact About Pablo Escobar? by rayadientes(m): 1:01pm On Apr 26, 2019
Thank god, travel to Colombia is much safer now than 50 year back, I always use this airline https://viajareacolombia.com/
Re: What Is The Craziest Fact About Pablo Escobar? by Nobody: 4:01pm On Apr 26, 2019
He did not even get to Enjoy his Money, all he did is Play cat and mouse with the cops, if i were him, i would quit the Business after i become pick and go legit but him all he wanted to do was Make more and more and more Money, howmuch is enough?
Re: What Is The Craziest Fact About Pablo Escobar? by john077: 1:50pm On Apr 02, 2020
Hi !
Thanks for all this informations, I learnt a lot ! smiley
Re: What Is The Craziest Fact About Pablo Escobar? by Edu07725: 1:03pm On Apr 03, 2020
Great post, thanks a lot !

(1) (Reply)

Describe your Journey into Confraternity / "I've Sold Only 10 Human Heads" Elderly Woman In Ogun Says / Man Forced To "marry" Goat!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.