Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,722 members, 7,809,737 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:08 PM

Colombia Tears Down Drug Lord Pablo Escobar's Eight-storey Apartment. - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Colombia Tears Down Drug Lord Pablo Escobar's Eight-storey Apartment. (7990 Views)

Drug Lord Tossed Into Sea With Anchor For Stealing Gang's 450lb Cocaine (photos) / Otoniel: Colombia Captures Most Wanted Drug Lord With 22 Helicopters / Pablo Escobar's Nephew Finds £14million Cash In A Wall In One Of His Houses (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Colombia Tears Down Drug Lord Pablo Escobar's Eight-storey Apartment. by MyVILLAGEpeople(m): 1:48pm On Mar 26, 2019
Colombia tears down drugs kingpin Pablo Escobar's infamous eight-storey apartment because it was becoming a 'sick attraction'

The home of the late infamous Pablo Escobar has been destroyed in a controlled implosion after it became a tourist attraction in Colombia

The Colombian fortress of infamous drug trafficker, Pablo Escobar, has been destroyed in a controlled implosion after it became a tourist destination.

The 'Monaco' apartments, where Escobar lived in the 1980s, were a 'symbol of evil', Medellin Mayor Federico Gutierrez said.

A crowd of 1,600 people including some families of Escobar victims, watched as a loud detonation was heard and the eight storeys of white concrete crumbled to the ground in three seconds, leaving behind a cloud of smoke that lingered for several minutes.

In its place will be a memorial to the victims of Escobar's reign of terror that ended when he was killed by police in 1993. 

Medellin Mayor Federico Gutierrez said the building had become a 'symbol of evil' and had become a destination for tourists on 'narco-tours' which take visitors around sites related to the history of drug trafficking

Gutierrez said that the eight-storey building had become a destination for tourists on 'narco-tours', which take visitors around sites related to the history of drug trafficking.

Critics say the tours glorify the drug violence of the 1980s, when thousands of Colombians were murdered. 

While some elements of society criticised the move, claiming it was erasing history, authorities insisted they were just transforming the narrative to focus on the victims rather than the perpetrator.

The demolition of the ostentatious building, which had once drawn crowds of curious sightseers, 'signifies the defeat of the culture of illegality,' said Colombia President Ivan Duque.

'It signifies that history won't be written from the perpetrator's perspective.'

Colombia will now erect a memorial to the victims of Escobar's reign of terror that ended when he was killed by police in 1993

The city plans to build a park and memorial museum to replace the abandoned building.

President Ivan Duque said: 'This means that history will not be written in service to the victimizers, but in recognition of the victims'.

The 'Monaco' survived a car bomb attack during the 1987 height of fighting between the Medellin and Cali drug cartels, and played host to Escobar's storied vintage car collection.

It was expropriated by Colombia in 1990 and for a time served as extra office space for the attorney general's office. 

Pablo Emilio Escobar Gaviria was a Colombian drug trafficker.

During his time at the helm of the Medellin Cartel he controlled over 80 per cent of the cocaine shipped to the US. 

This earned him the rank of one of Forbes Magazine’s ten wealthiest people in the world. 

Escobar entered the cocaine trade in the early 1970s, collaborating with other criminals to form the Medellin Cartel.

Despite his role as a drug lord Escobar earned popularity by sponsoring charity projects and soccer clubs.

However terror campaigns run by Escobar resulted in the murder of thousands turned the public against him.  

By the mid-1980s, Pablo Escobar had an estimated net worth of $30 billion and cash was so prevalent that Escobar purchased a Learjet for the sole purpose of flying his money.  

More than 15 tons of cocaine were reportedly smuggled each day, netting the Cartel as much as $420 million a week.

Colombian law enforcement finally caught up to Pablo Escobar on December 2, 1993 in a middle-class neighborhood in Medellin. 

A firefight ensued and, as Escobar tried to escape across a series of rooftops, he and his bodyguard were shot and killed. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6736847/Colombia-tears-Pablo-Escobars-infamous-apartment-sick-attraction.html?utm_source=&utm_medium=twitter

cc lala
cc mydn44

Re: Colombia Tears Down Drug Lord Pablo Escobar's Eight-storey Apartment. by Spark01(m): 2:17pm On Mar 26, 2019
Na wa oh

2 Likes

Re: Colombia Tears Down Drug Lord Pablo Escobar's Eight-storey Apartment. by MrBrownJay1(m): 2:36pm On Mar 26, 2019
the majority of people in Medellin hate Pablo Escobar, the only people who glorify him are criminal and gringos who have no clue about the true history of the menace that man was.

true story: i met a Japanese dude a few weeks ago who told me that the only reason he came here in Medellin was simply because he loved the serie NARCOS, lol!

9 Likes

Re: Colombia Tears Down Drug Lord Pablo Escobar's Eight-storey Apartment. by MyVILLAGEpeople(m): 2:44pm On Mar 26, 2019
MrBrownJay1:
the majority of people in Medellin hate Pablo Escobar, the only people who glorify him are criminal and gringos who have no clue about the true history of the menace that man was.

true story: i met a Japanese dude a few weeks ago who told me that the only reason he came here in Medellin was simply because he loved the serie NARCOS, lol!

Pablo Escobar was a Robin Hood in his days. The poor people of Medellin love him so much. That was why about 30,000 people showed up for his burial in Medellin.

15 Likes

Re: Colombia Tears Down Drug Lord Pablo Escobar's Eight-storey Apartment. by Martin0(m): 2:45pm On Mar 26, 2019
MrBrownJay1:

hold on,wait u dey Columbia?

7 Likes

Re: Colombia Tears Down Drug Lord Pablo Escobar's Eight-storey Apartment. by fw71497: 3:01pm On Mar 26, 2019
Hi

Do you need an operator of diesel engine generators of up to 150KVA for full time employment in lagos, I can perform task as full servicing, early fault detection, and minor repairs as bleeding and clearing of filter blockage in the tank and injection system to ensure efficient running. Call me on 08082404039.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Colombia Tears Down Drug Lord Pablo Escobar's Eight-storey Apartment. by MrBrownJay1(m): 3:01pm On Mar 26, 2019
MyVILLAGEpeople:

Pablo Escobar was a Robin Hood in his days. The poor people of Medellin love him so much. That was why about 30,000 people showed up for his burial in Medellin.

ARRANT NONSENSE!!!!
yes he helped many poor people in Medellin, and at the same time he killed and brought death to the city. stop believing all the rubbish you see on TV. the man was a CRIMINAL/DEMON, who killed anyone who was in his path (or against him). what you wrote would be as crazy as saying that i would be a saint if i killed 100s of people to enrich myself, then turn around and give peanuts to some poor people to be famous with them.

the reality is that a demon is a DEMON, no matter how he tries to better himself by bribing the community!

Martin0:
hold on,wait u dey Columbia?

si señor, i live right next to that Monaco building who was torn down!
BTW its colOmbia, not ColUmbia

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Colombia Tears Down Drug Lord Pablo Escobar's Eight-storey Apartment. by Nobody: 3:24pm On Mar 26, 2019
So Escobar earned $420m in a week for years??... WHAAATTT

2 Likes

Re: Colombia Tears Down Drug Lord Pablo Escobar's Eight-storey Apartment. by Nobody: 3:26pm On Mar 26, 2019
Pablo in hell fire right now::

1 Like

Re: Colombia Tears Down Drug Lord Pablo Escobar's Eight-storey Apartment. by MyVILLAGEpeople(m): 3:26pm On Mar 26, 2019
grin
R2bees:
grin
R2bees:

This was the same man that burnt 2 million US Dollars to keep his daughter warm while they were in the forest, during one of the manhunts by the Columbian government. you can google it or check it out on YouTube. That guy was freaking rich bro..

6 Likes

Re: Colombia Tears Down Drug Lord Pablo Escobar's Eight-storey Apartment. by Martin0(m): 3:39pm On Mar 26, 2019
MrBrownJay1:

ARRANT NONSENSE!!!!
yes he helped many poor people in Medellin, and at the same time he killed and brought death to the city. stop believing all the rubbish you see on TV. the man was a CRIMINAL/DEMON, who killed anyone who was in his path (or against him). what you wrote would be as crazy as saying that i would be a saint if i killed 100s of people to enrich myself, then turn around and give peanuts to some poor people to be famous with them.

the reality is that a demon is a DEMON, no matter how he tries to better himself by bribing the community!

hmm waow! you live in that place!omo I've been wondering what actually made you to go liv in that city(country)
Re: Colombia Tears Down Drug Lord Pablo Escobar's Eight-storey Apartment. by MrBrownJay1(m): 3:57pm On Mar 26, 2019
Martin0:
hmm waow! you live in that place!omo I've been wondering what actually made you to go liv in that city(country)

the important question IS....why not?
i love South America and after living extensively in both Argentina and Brazil in the past, i knew i was gonna come back to live here eventually. Europe is just too cold, too bland, too expensive for NO value, too white (lol) for me. Also, Colombia's economy is down right now so cheaper to live/biz here, Medellin has fantastic spring weather all year long (Cartagena is too hot and too "touristy" for my liking), the nightlife is great, and lets not forget, women are second to none. if Venezuela wasnt as fukced up as it is right now, i would have gone there instead. Medellin is like Miami, without the beach and expensive price. PERFECT FOR ME!

to give you an idea, for the price that i paid in Copenhagen for a place to live, i get a place 3 times as big, in the best neighborhood in town.

9 Likes

Re: Colombia Tears Down Drug Lord Pablo Escobar's Eight-storey Apartment. by MrBrownJay1(m): 4:29pm On Mar 26, 2019
MyVILLAGEpeople:
grin grin

This was the same man that burnt 2 million US Dollars to keep his daughter warm while they were in the forest, during one of the manhunts by the Columbian government. you can google it or check it out on YouTube. That guy was freaking rich bro..

bro, could you also believe that this man who was once considered the richest man on earth (and also the biggest criminal) never set foot outside South America, let alone Miami (even though he had a mansion there), LA, NY, Paris etc. the minute he started making money, the man was a prisoner in his own country, he couldnt leave the state of Antioquia, let alone enjoy his money in peace. the best he could do was exactly what he did in Medellin....aka buy the biggest mansions here and bring exotic animals and toys to enjoy here, pay the best biatches and surround himself with bodyguards and killas. this man had all the money in the world yet was NOT free.

17 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Colombia Tears Down Drug Lord Pablo Escobar's Eight-storey Apartment. by MrBrownJay1(m): 4:30pm On Mar 26, 2019
yep
Re: Colombia Tears Down Drug Lord Pablo Escobar's Eight-storey Apartment. by Dreyl(m): 4:51pm On Mar 26, 2019
I love the NARCOS series

1 Like

Re: Colombia Tears Down Drug Lord Pablo Escobar's Eight-storey Apartment. by michlins(m): 6:43pm On Mar 26, 2019
Worst type of journalism ever. Literally was repeating every paragraph
Re: Colombia Tears Down Drug Lord Pablo Escobar's Eight-storey Apartment. by Martin0(m): 6:53pm On Mar 26, 2019
MrBrownJay1:

the important question IS....why not?
i love South America and after living extensively in both Argentina and Brazil in the past, i knew i was gonna come back to live here eventually. Europe is just too cold, too bland, too expensive for NO value, too white (lol) for me. Also, Colombia's economy is down right now so cheaper to live/biz here, Medellin has fantastic spring weather all year long (Cartagena is too hot and too "touristy" for my liking), the nightlife is great, and lets not forget, women are second to none. if Venezuela wasnt as fukced up as it is right now, i would have gone there instead. Medellin is like Miami, without the beach and expensive price. PERFECT FOR ME!

to give you an idea, for the price that i paid in Copenhagen for a place to live, i get a place 3 times as big, in the best neighborhood in town.

hmmmmm!
Re: Colombia Tears Down Drug Lord Pablo Escobar's Eight-storey Apartment. by chloride6: 7:49pm On Mar 26, 2019
MrBrownJay1:

ARRANT NONSENSE!!!!

Nigerians dey live for Columbia?
Re: Colombia Tears Down Drug Lord Pablo Escobar's Eight-storey Apartment. by Koko1119: 8:27pm On Mar 26, 2019
Dis man shld av invl america in is buz he shld av b alive.
Re: Colombia Tears Down Drug Lord Pablo Escobar's Eight-storey Apartment. by tstx(m): 9:42pm On Mar 26, 2019
Pablo Escobar... Aka the heartless killer
Re: Colombia Tears Down Drug Lord Pablo Escobar's Eight-storey Apartment. by IjebuWarrior: 10:02pm On Mar 26, 2019
chloride6:

Foolish question! Where we developers no fit go deh-veh-lope? grin

Re: Colombia Tears Down Drug Lord Pablo Escobar's Eight-storey Apartment. by biosilicon: 10:04pm On Mar 26, 2019
Another proof that money does not solve all problems. People who believe that money solves all problems are poor people.

1 Like

Re: Colombia Tears Down Drug Lord Pablo Escobar's Eight-storey Apartment. by lilmarley: 3:14am On Mar 27, 2019
my greatest fear is pronouncing "HUAWEI" in public cry cry
Re: Colombia Tears Down Drug Lord Pablo Escobar's Eight-storey Apartment. by godwinony(m): 4:31am On Mar 27, 2019
chloride6:

E get country wey Nigerians no dey?
Re: Colombia Tears Down Drug Lord Pablo Escobar's Eight-storey Apartment. by Nobody: 8:17am On Mar 27, 2019
MrBrownJay1:

bro, could you also believe that this man who was once considered the richest man on earth (and also the biggest criminal) never set foot outside South America, let alone Miami (even though he had a mansion there), LA, NY, Paris etc. the minute he started making money, the man was a prisoner in his own country, he couldnt leave the state of Antioquia, let alone enjoy his money in peace. the best he could do was exactly what he did in Medellin....aka buy the biggest mansions here and bring exotic animals and toys to enjoy here, pay the best biatches and surround himself with bodyguards and killas. this man had all the money in the world yet was NOT free.

In terms of tourism, where in Colombia would you recommend? What’s property prices like there in Medellin....renting for a month.
Re: Colombia Tears Down Drug Lord Pablo Escobar's Eight-storey Apartment. by MyVILLAGEpeople(m): 9:03am On Mar 27, 2019
MrBrownJay1:

wooow
Really??
But he used to travel to Miami during his early drug days though.
Re: Colombia Tears Down Drug Lord Pablo Escobar's Eight-storey Apartment. by MyVILLAGEpeople(m): 9:03am On Mar 27, 2019
grin
lilmarley:
grin
lilmarley:
Re: Colombia Tears Down Drug Lord Pablo Escobar's Eight-storey Apartment. by otipoju(m): 9:19am On Mar 27, 2019
MrBrownJay1:

ARRANT NONSENSE!!!!

What is the best time of the year to come visiting and what places can one visit.
Re: Colombia Tears Down Drug Lord Pablo Escobar's Eight-storey Apartment. by ruggedtimi(m): 1:44pm On Mar 27, 2019
Narcos
Re: Colombia Tears Down Drug Lord Pablo Escobar's Eight-storey Apartment. by MrBrownJay1(m): 6:56pm On Mar 27, 2019
MyVILLAGEpeople:
wooow
Really??
But he used to travel to Miami during his early drug days though.

if he did, that was WAY before he became the cocaine kingpin he was, by the time he was notoriously famous, he couldnt set foot outside the state of Antioquia. he had a mansion in Miami but they say he never set foot in it.

otipoju:

What is the best time of the year to come visiting and what places can one visit.

now we are right in the rainy season so the days starts with fantastic sunshine and around late afternoon, a quick rain....there are 2 rainy seasons per year in Medellin, NOW and around October, each lasts about a 45days to 2months.

the reality is that you can visit all year long but outside the above times is IMHO best.

as for tourism, if it is your 1st time then i suggest you visit Cartagena, Santa Marta, Bogota, Cali and Medellin.... but if you have good time on your hand then by all means also visit ciudad perdida, Jardins, Parque Tayrona, Salento, Palomino...and even discover the island of San Andres

gbosaa:

In terms of tourism, where in Colombia would you recommend? What’s property prices like there in Medellin....renting for a month.

property prices are pretty cheap, you can easily rent a fully furnished apartment in the best area of the city (Banana island/VI scale) for about 500/600USD... if you go to other cool areas like Laureles/Estadio (Lekki type), you will find the same fully furnished apartment for 350/400USD. now, these areas are very gringo friendly, meaning thats the place most tourist feel safe to live in (aka middle class/upscale areas), but you can also go to many other areas in the city (SuruLere type) where you would be just as safe and find these same apartments, unfurnished, for 200/300USD. now if you REALLY dont want to spend money to live, then go to any comunas (local favelas) and there you can find apartments for 150USD or less, but then you may here gunshots at night and there may be curfews imposed by the local "area boys" lol!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Colombia Tears Down Drug Lord Pablo Escobar's Eight-storey Apartment. by Nobody: 8:08pm On Mar 27, 2019
MrBrownJay1:

if he did, that was WAY before he became the cocaine kingpin he was, by the time he was notoriously famous, he couldnt set foot outside the state of Antioquia. he had a mansion in Miami but they say he never set foot in it.

now we are right in the rainy season so the days starts with fantastic sunshine and around late afternoon, a quick rain....there are 2 rainy seasons per year in Medellin, NOW and around October, each lasts about a 45days to 2months.

the reality is that you can visit all year long but outside the above times is IMHO best.

as for tourism, if it is your 1st time then i suggest you visit Cartagena, Santa Marta, Bogota, Cali and Medellin.... but if you have good time on your hand then by all means also visit ciudad perdida, Jardins, Parque Tayrona, Salento, Palomino...and even discover the island of San Andres

property prices are pretty cheap, you can easily rent a fully furnished apartment in the best area of the city (Banana island/VI scale) for about 500/600USD... if you go to other cool areas like Laureles/Estadio (Lekki type), you will find the same fully furnished apartment for 350/400USD. now, these areas are very gringo friendly, meaning thats the place most tourist feel safe to live in (aka middle class/upscale areas), but you can also go to many other areas in the city (SuruLere type) where you would be just as safe and find these same apartments, unfurnished, for 200/300USD. now if you REALLY dont want to spend money to live, then go to any comunas (local favelas) and there you can find apartments for 150USD or less, but then you may here gunshots at night and there may be curfews imposed by the local "area boys" lol!

Thanks. grin I doubt any security conscious tourist would wanna rent property in such area.
Re: Colombia Tears Down Drug Lord Pablo Escobar's Eight-storey Apartment. by MrBrownJay1(m): 10:09pm On Mar 27, 2019
gbosaa:
Thanks. grin I doubt any security conscious tourist would wanna rent property in such area.

not necessarily... Colombia is NOT more dangerous than any big city of the world... back in the days YEAH it was the kidnapping capital of the world, but nowadays it aint any longer, and pretty safe (Caracas is now the most dangerous city in South America, Sao Paulo is 2nd). dont believe the hype, the city is full of digital nomads coming here for the cheap and fantastic way of life. its all about how you act, and like they say here:"no dar papayas" (aka dont be a dikchead/dumbaaass). In Brazil, i lived many years in favelas and loved every minute of it! my 1st 6 months in Rio i lived in Copacabana and never had a conversation with my Brazilian neighbors.... just hello and bye, because rich Brazilian dont usually mix up with strangers (especially black ones) and apart for Brazilian people on the club scene, beach etc, i knew nothing about the Brazilian lifestyle.... and then the 1st day i moved to the favela, within an hr, my landlord invited me to his house for a bbq with his family and he introduced me to everyone in the area... and that was the 1st time i actually felt part of the community. here in Colombia it is different because everyone is freely talking to you, wherever you are in the city (best area or not), and whoever you are.

5 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Police Dismiss 2 Officers Over Assault In Delta / Lifeless Body Of A Beautiful Lady Dumped By The Roadside In Lagos (pic) / Gunmen Kidnap Three Worshippers During Church Vigil In Ogun

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.