Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,285 members, 7,818,959 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:59 AM

Bless God? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Bless God? (268 Views)

What Does "We Bless God Mean"? / She's been delivered!!! Bless God / Is The Sentence, We/i Bless God. Correct? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bless God? by Restroom: 11:09pm On Feb 24, 2019
Often when you listen to some people greetings, you may hear the expression,

BLESS GOD.

What do you think, is the use of such expression proper?
Before I go into discussion of this practice, I want to draw your attention to the dictionary meaning of the word, bless:

According to Merriam Webster dictionary

Definition of bless

1religion : to hallow or consecrate by religious rite or wordasked the priest to bless their marriage Bless this home.

2religion : to hallow with the sign of the cross He blessed himself before liftoff.

3: to invoke divine care for -bless your heart—used in the phrase bless you to wish good health especially to one who has just sneezed

4a: PRAISE, GLORIFYbless his holy name

b: to speak well of : APPROVE

5: to confer prosperity or happiness upon-- God has blessed us with four children.

6archaic : PROTECT, PRESERVE-Bless me from marrying a usurer!— Shakespeare

7: ENDOW, FAVOR-blessed with athletic ability

From 4a, above, Bless means praise or glorify.

From that angle, the use of Bless God appears right. That may only be acceptable if the person saying Bless God have this in mind: praise God or Glorify God.

Now, if someone tells you, 'Bless You', do you think he or she is saying to you: I glorify you or I praise you?

Certainly, he or she is not praising you but rather saying a greeting to you.

So, when someone says Bless God , is he or she saying a greeting or saying praises to God?

The context matters.

If it is a greeting to God, saying Bless God is inappropriate

But if it is said as an expression of praise, which means glorify God or praise God, I think it is not objectionable.

As for me, I think saying praise God or thank God is a far better and clearer way to let your meaning clearer.

Each time I hear people say we bless God, I always try to look at the context so that I can understand what the person means.

I don't say Bless God, because not everybody may understand what Bless may mean. If by saying Bless God, someone somewhere begins to think I want to confer blessing on God, or thinks I can literally bless God, I would rather not say it. That's a wrong impression to give.

If you have been saying Bless God before, it is good to weigh your statement carefully, because someone might think you can actually Bless God.

Saying thank God or Praise God is more clearer and direct.

What do you think?
Re: Bless God? by Taniaa(f): 11:14pm On Feb 24, 2019
Hmm
Re: Bless God? by Aphroditee(f): 11:24pm On Feb 24, 2019
I need God's blessing, I'v been trying to pay my school rent for the year all to no avail
Re: Bless God? by Restroom: 11:27pm On Feb 24, 2019
Aphroditee:
I need God's blessing, I'v been trying to pay my school rent for the year all to no avail
Work hard and pray. It will happen if you do not give up.
Re: Bless God? by StrawberryGloss(f): 12:17am On Feb 25, 2019
Restroom:
Often when you listen to some people greetings, you may hear the expression,

BLESS GOD.

What do you think, is the use of such expression proper?
Before I go into discussion of this practice, I want to draw your attention to the dictionary meaning of the word, bless:

According to Merriam Webster dictionary

Definition of bless

1religion : to hallow or consecrate by religious rite or wordasked the priest to bless their marriage Bless this home.

2religion : to hallow with the sign of the cross He blessed himself before liftoff.

3: to invoke divine care for -bless your heart—used in the phrase bless you to wish good health especially to one who has just sneezed

4a: PRAISE, GLORIFYbless his holy name

b: to speak well of : APPROVE

5: to confer prosperity or happiness upon-- God has blessed us with four children.

6archaic : PROTECT, PRESERVE-Bless me from marrying a usurer!— Shakespeare

7: ENDOW, FAVOR-blessed with athletic ability

From 4a, above, Bless means praise or glorify.

From that angle, the use of Bless God appears right. That may only be acceptable if the person saying Bless God have this in mind: praise God or Glorify God.

Now, if someone tells you, 'Bless You', do you think he or she is saying to you: I glorify you or I praise you?

Certainly, he or she is not praising you but rather saying a greeting to you.

So, when someone says Bless God , is he or she saying a greeting or saying praises to God?

The context matters.

If it is a greeting to God, saying Bless God is inappropriate

But if it is said as an expression of praise, which means glorify God or praise God, I think it is not objectionable.

As for me, I think saying praise God or thank God is a far better and clearer way to let your meaning clearer.

Each time I hear people say we bless God, I always try to look at the context so that I can understand what the person means.

I don't say Bless God, because not everybody may understand what Bless may mean. If by saying Bless God, someone somewhere begins to think I want to confer blessing on God, or thinks I can literally bless God, I would rather not say it. That's a wrong impression to give.

If you have been saying Bless God before, it is good to weigh your statement carefully, because someone might think you can actually Bless God.

Saying thank God or Praise God is more clearer and direct.

What do you think?

Re: Bless God? by Aphroditee(f): 12:22am On Feb 25, 2019
[quote author=Restroom post=76090010]
Work hard and pray. It will happen if you do not give up.
[/quote

thanks. i'm doing that or I've been doing that rather.

(1) (Reply)

A Revelation From Our Lord Jesus Christ. / Satan Made Me Do It / What Are Some Examples Of Blasphemy Against The Holy Spirit?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.