Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,512 members, 7,819,853 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:23 AM

Gov Ortom, Mark, Akume Hold Meeting With Benue REC - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Gov Ortom, Mark, Akume Hold Meeting With Benue REC (635 Views)

Buhari Meets With Benue Governor-elect, Rev. Fr. Hyacinth Alia (photos) / Ortom Commends Remi Tinubu For Identifying With Benue’s Flood Victims / Wammako, Akpabio, Akume, Others Leave For China With President Buhari [photos] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Gov Ortom, Mark, Akume Hold Meeting With Benue REC by owoicho13(m): 1:32pm On Feb 25, 2019
The Governor of Benue State, Mr Samuel Ortom; a former Senate President, David Mark, and the senator representing Benue North West, (popularly known as Zone B), Mr George Akume, on Sunday, held a closed-door meeting with the state Resident Electoral Officer, Dr. Nentawe Goshwe.

Collation and announcement of result were ongoing at the collation hall when the three politicians came to the state Independent National Electoral Commission headquarters. They, however, did not interfere with the exercise.

Ortom and Mark arrived in the venue together at 6pm and headed to Goshwe’s office. Akume later joined them.

Speaking with journalists in Makurdi, after the 30-minutes meeting, Ortom alleged that some soldiers went to Gboko collation centre and took away the election materials and also whisked away the returning officer heading for Makurdi, the INEC state headquarters.

He stated that they were apprehensive and came to see the REC over the matter, adding that he assured them that all would be well.

He said, ““Otherwise the senator representing Zone B had boasted that he will ensure that the result was overturned after losing six local government out of seven LGs and we all have the result sheets in the wards and polling units. It was just at the LG level that the army intercepted. We have said before that we want true, transparent election.’’

The governor said it was illogical that Akume would call for the cancellation of the results from Guma council area where he (Ortom) voted.

He said, “How can the senator call for the cancellation of the election? There was no rigging. This is not the first time, since 1992, I have been winning election in my LG because I have always stood for the people I represent. They have always supported me any time I come. There is no basis whatsoever. The card reader was there, the process is there, the rules of the game are there. He should be calling for the cancellation of the result in his own ward. I have also petitioned that there are issues with certain wards, they chased away our agents and drove them away.”

Ortom also raised the alarm that he was unaware of the whereabouts of the state Peoples Democratic Party agent, Dr Cletus Tyoka, allegedly arrested by the police on Saturday.

Speaking with journalists after meeting with the REC, Akume said he had a normal consultation with Goshwe. He said he had no hand in the removal of the electoral materials, accusing Ortom of spreading falsehood.

Akume also apologised to the people of Benue State for helping Ortom to become their governor.

Source: https://www.benuepress.com/2019/02/gov-ortom-mark-akume-hold-meeting-with-benue-rec/

Re: Gov Ortom, Mark, Akume Hold Meeting With Benue REC by owoicho13(m): 1:33pm On Feb 25, 2019
Re: Gov Ortom, Mark, Akume Hold Meeting With Benue REC by Davidgr8(m): 2:01pm On Feb 25, 2019
political retirement Akume a disgrace to Tiv land

1 Like

Re: Gov Ortom, Mark, Akume Hold Meeting With Benue REC by JusticeSeeker: 2:24pm On Feb 25, 2019
This is how we don't cherish our own. Akume is 1million times better than the inept sitting thiefing Ortom who goes about with propaganda everywhere including dancing on the Graves of the dead for political gain.

(1) (Reply)

Debunked: London Buses Ads On Bukola Saraki Are Fake / Army Declares Sambisa Forest Global Tourist Centre - The Guardian / FCT Min, Others Frustrated Installation Of World Biggest Billboard In Abuja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.