Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,216 members, 7,836,051 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 07:53 PM

5 Best Kept Secrets Your Mechanic Doesn’t Want You To Know - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / 5 Best Kept Secrets Your Mechanic Doesn’t Want You To Know (39978 Views)

Your Mechanic Is Cooking A Lie To Tell You / Ask your Mechanic ! ! ! Thread / How Much Does Your Mechanic Charge You ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 5 Best Kept Secrets Your Mechanic Doesn’t Want You To Know by LONGPREEK(m): 7:01pm On Feb 26, 2019
JoanHicks:
This won't reduce the upper cut Kano gave Atiku

Ganduje is wicked
very serious upper cut o

1 Like

Re: 5 Best Kept Secrets Your Mechanic Doesn’t Want You To Know by Fixitgood(m): 7:02pm On Feb 26, 2019
Nigerian artisans and technicians are devil incarnates.

Your mechanic will know that you're broke and struggling, but will still drag that last 5k in your account.

1 Like

Re: 5 Best Kept Secrets Your Mechanic Doesn’t Want You To Know by kolakolex: 7:05pm On Feb 26, 2019
In as much as u may want to check mate the activities of your mechanic, I will advice you thread with caution

3 Likes

Re: 5 Best Kept Secrets Your Mechanic Doesn’t Want You To Know by izymayakie080: 7:12pm On Feb 26, 2019
Don't worry usef, less Dan 500 naira cud solve ur problem...Look for d aboki dat sells decorating stickers, let dem cut transparent sticker round d edge of d leaking sunroof...n u are done.

1 Like

Re: 5 Best Kept Secrets Your Mechanic Doesn’t Want You To Know by izymayakie080: 7:14pm On Feb 26, 2019
phase1:
How do I fix a leaky sunroof on my own?
Don't worry usef, less Dan 500 naira cud solve ur problem...Look for d aboki dat sells decorating stickers, let dem cut transparent sticker round d edge of d leaking sunroof...n u are done.

2 Likes

Re: 5 Best Kept Secrets Your Mechanic Doesn’t Want You To Know by scottyoloye(m): 7:19pm On Feb 26, 2019
ceejay675:
Nice thread... Am currently having challenges with my Toyota camry 2005. I awlays refill the water reservoir everyday. I mean the coolant reservoir. The mechanic said I should change the radiator to double cell which I have done but the problem still persist.. I have even changed water pump still the same problem.. I don't know what else to do.. The car does not over heat just that am afraid it will over heat if I stop putting water in that reservoir. Please I need ideas on how to solve this... I'm in awka
Does the water in the radiator tank reduce too? If no, just try watching the the water level in the coolant reservoir for two or three days, if the vehicle temperature doesn't rise the stop giving yourself headache.....u might just need the appropriate coolant not water

4 Likes

Re: 5 Best Kept Secrets Your Mechanic Doesn’t Want You To Know by babsyonline: 7:24pm On Feb 26, 2019
It true talk, ejo pdp ekpele

1 Like

Re: 5 Best Kept Secrets Your Mechanic Doesn’t Want You To Know by tlops(m): 7:25pm On Feb 26, 2019
phase1:
How do I fix a leaky sunroof on my own?
Call carpenter.

2 Likes

Re: 5 Best Kept Secrets Your Mechanic Doesn’t Want You To Know by babsyonline: 7:26pm On Feb 26, 2019
It true talk, ejo pdp ekbele

1 Like

Re: 5 Best Kept Secrets Your Mechanic Doesn’t Want You To Know by Timagex(m): 7:26pm On Feb 26, 2019
islandmoon:

I tell mechanics boys what to do, I understand my car so well that I can listen to her talk , her name is Marc and there is no language she speaks that I do not understand, she's my first wife but my wife dethroned her.
. What is the name of your car sir? cool

2 Likes

Re: 5 Best Kept Secrets Your Mechanic Doesn’t Want You To Know by jonaifame22(m): 7:34pm On Feb 26, 2019
samuel19222:
Hvccnc
7up
Re: 5 Best Kept Secrets Your Mechanic Doesn’t Want You To Know by Timagex(m): 7:38pm On Feb 26, 2019
gypsey:
I don't know much About cars, I take my AMG benz SUV 2016 Every time to the repair shop. Even for a minor problem, i believe they reap me off All the time.

But i wouldn't want to Damage the car further by DIYing It. So i pay. To even change Plugs.
. Hmmmmmm... You got nice taste for cars... grin cool
Re: 5 Best Kept Secrets Your Mechanic Doesn’t Want You To Know by mayor2013: 7:39pm On Feb 26, 2019
ceejay675:
Nice thread... Am currently having challenges with my Toyota camry 2005. I awlays refill the water reservoir everyday. I mean the coolant reservoir. The mechanic said I should change the radiator to double cell which I have done but the problem still persist.. I have even changed water pump still the same problem.. I don't know what else to do.. The car does not over heat just that am afraid it will over heat if I stop putting water in that reservoir. Please I need ideas on how to solve this... I'm in awka

There's a leak around your cooling system. Carry out a coolant pressure test and that should reveal the leak
Re: 5 Best Kept Secrets Your Mechanic Doesn’t Want You To Know by phase1: 7:51pm On Feb 26, 2019
ogawisdom:

Sunroof is so useless in a car, wonder why people buy car with that feature when he will be using AC all the time.

Sunroof is a turn off

I bought another car and put the car with the sunroof for sale. Almost every sunroof car I see around has leakage issues.

I will never buy a car that has...

1) one set of doors
2) sunroof.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Best Kept Secrets Your Mechanic Doesn’t Want You To Know by UnchainedLyrics: 8:36pm On Feb 26, 2019
AutoReportNG:
What's your take?

See more here

https://www.autoreportng.com/2019/02/5-best-kept-secrets-your-mechanic.html

Actually I disagree to a certain extent

The reason you have a mechanic is that you cannot fix your car by yourself except you are a mechanic.

For as long as you rely on your mechanic, he will always be 1up on you.

Now here is how I see it. You can either act like a smarty pant and piss him off. In which case he will ask you to go source the parts yourself. Now you may know where to source the parts cheaper but the question is, the part you buy, is it the right part? Is it even a viable part? How do you identified a reworked part over a genuine fresh factory couple spare? You dont. These are all secrets of the trade.

Think about it. We all have our trades. And we will have secrets we use to our advantage. Its just the same. A mechanic worth his onions will state a part price for you regardless of whether he knows you can source it cheaper or not. I know a mechanic who will quote as much as 3 times the part price for you. If you argue with him he simply backs off and tells you to go source it yourself. He will even tell you where to go and buy it. He will give you the old part for added effect so you can supposedly use to find a match. He knows that you will indeed find the spare there. He also knows that you are ignorant of things like the part number and co. SO he knows that almost always you will source the wrong part. Since you were such a smarty pant, he will keep mum. he simply fixes the part you bought........and off you go feeling smug. But of course you and I know what happens next.

A better approach is to be interested in your vehicle. Whenever I take my car to the technician, I take it on days I am less busy. I stay with him from start to finish. Mechanics appreciate people who are keenly interested in the job and in their cars. That way you bond with your mechanic and become close friends.

Its his job. He makes a living off it. What do you expect?

6 Likes

Re: 5 Best Kept Secrets Your Mechanic Doesn’t Want You To Know by Nobody: 8:46pm On Feb 26, 2019
Timagex:
. Hmmmmmm... You got nice taste for cars... grin cool
Yes! thanks! but it's very Expensive to Run..i am thinking of getting Rid of it and getting an Economically cheap to Run car.
Re: 5 Best Kept Secrets Your Mechanic Doesn’t Want You To Know by Iranoladun(f): 8:59pm On Feb 26, 2019
ceejay675:

If your radiator is not leaking and the hoses and pipes are intact just change your radiator cover to a new one and observe for some days

1 Like

Re: 5 Best Kept Secrets Your Mechanic Doesn’t Want You To Know by islandmoon: 9:04pm On Feb 26, 2019
ogawisdom:

Same here most times, I am the one to diagnose my car issue and only to tell mechanic change this or that. It pays to be knowledgeable about your car and pay attention to it

yeah, it has saved me so much from their wrong diagnosis, once you start telling long story, I will tell I'm coming and crosscheck what you tell me online with my own knowledge, I used to have a car that require minimum of 75amp battery, but was driving it with 45amp battery it came with not knowing it battery was switched by the dealers before I got it, when it started doing hard start in the morning I told mechanic and they said they need to change the fuel pump, gave them money, removed factory fitted fuel pump and put China made , the problem persists until I ask on benz forum that suggested the battery was small, I got 100amps battery and Boom!! problem solved , I had to force the Jelili to return the old fuel pump back.
wasted money to buy fuel pump I did not need,
ever since then, I don't trust those kabiru

they will tell you to change your shock absorber when you only need to change the buchen rubber.

1 Like

Re: 5 Best Kept Secrets Your Mechanic Doesn’t Want You To Know by obinnanelson4(m): 9:10pm On Feb 26, 2019
ceejay675:
yeah it happened to my Civic of resent. After checking for leakage and found non, we flushed the radiator yet no improvement. had to change the top gasket and the problem ended.
Re: 5 Best Kept Secrets Your Mechanic Doesn’t Want You To Know by Hahjascho(m): 9:22pm On Feb 26, 2019
Nice one @Op .....almost experienced the issue of brake pads while using Dad's car

So common here in Lagos!
Re: 5 Best Kept Secrets Your Mechanic Doesn’t Want You To Know by Timagex(m): 9:40pm On Feb 26, 2019
gypsey:
Yes! thanks! but it's very Expensive to Run..i am thinking of getting Rid of it and getting an Economically cheap to Run car.
ahaaaann.....I'm tapping into the Benz already. Dont sell it o embarassed the car fit you na grin cheesy smiley
Re: 5 Best Kept Secrets Your Mechanic Doesn’t Want You To Know by queenfav(f): 9:53pm On Feb 26, 2019
I can't do any. God save me. Thank God for the durability of Toyota.
Re: 5 Best Kept Secrets Your Mechanic Doesn’t Want You To Know by adetem(m): 9:53pm On Feb 26, 2019
Lol that upper cut bad gan, pls send that ur profile picture to my mail
JoanHicks:
This won't reduce the upper cut Kano gave Atiku

Ganduje is wicked
Re: 5 Best Kept Secrets Your Mechanic Doesn’t Want You To Know by 3kay945(m): 9:56pm On Feb 26, 2019
haladadon:

if you're not a mechanic the spare parts seller won't sell parts cheap for you. you're just wasting time and money.

if you follow the mechanic to buy parts the parts seller will still cheat you and the mechanic has a cut in that money too.

just let him do his job. if it's easier for you then do it yourself.

Quite disagree with you on buying your parts. It depends on where you go to buy and how you negotiate. Simply how smart you are cos some other factors too are involved.
Re: 5 Best Kept Secrets Your Mechanic Doesn’t Want You To Know by 3kay945(m): 10:00pm On Feb 26, 2019
ogawisdom:

Na for people way no get sense like u, I know all that and trust me I always make the right choice and at the best price. I won't tell u all the tricks involved here so continue with your style. I compare prices using online research n it always pays off

Teach me small bro. Don't mind that
Re: 5 Best Kept Secrets Your Mechanic Doesn’t Want You To Know by gosmoney(m): 10:09pm On Feb 26, 2019
On get the parts urself some mechanic can be so wicked that they will fix it wrongly cos u didnt allow they to buy it themselves undecided
Re: 5 Best Kept Secrets Your Mechanic Doesn’t Want You To Know by IghoCentric(m): 10:14pm On Feb 26, 2019
ceejay675:

There is a leak... the coolant should circulate and quantity should retain... changing ur radiator was a waste of ur money. The water u refill everyday is going somewhere.. look for a puddle of water under ur parked car in the morning... if u cant find that puddle.. then check the exhaust if its steaming pure white smoke even when hot it could be a head gasket leak... but before doing an expensive head gasket job have ur mechanic check the usual suspects... eg. Hoses and their clips... hoses should be firm too, soft hoses sjould be changed... use those gas screw clips... chevk water pump, use sealant if needed.. check under the dashboard for wet patchs... though rare the heater core there can leak too.... for the fact u ve to top coolant that often its a leak problem... find the leak.

1 Like

Re: 5 Best Kept Secrets Your Mechanic Doesn’t Want You To Know by Nobody: 10:17pm On Feb 26, 2019
Timagex:
ahaaaann.....I'm tapping into the Benz already. Dont sell it o embarassed the car fit you na grin cheesy smiley
Okay, i will try to keep it. grin grin
Re: 5 Best Kept Secrets Your Mechanic Doesn’t Want You To Know by Mayflowa(m): 10:35pm On Feb 26, 2019
ogawisdom:

Sunroof is so useless in a car, wonder why people buy car with that feature when he will be using AC all the time.

Sunroof is a turn off

Car is not only made for Nigeria. Nigerians don't even know car heaters are as important as AC. In the western world, heater is the most important feature in a car if you don't wanna die. Likewise, sunroof is important is a lukewarm weather where you want to get some natural air. That is why convertible cars are desirable there

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

What Is The Difference Between SOHC And DOHC Engines And Which Is Better? / Bugatti Veyron Reveals Shocking Replacement Costs For Its Spare Parts / 8 Funny Steps Some Nigerians Still Use To Lock Their Cars

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.