Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,943 members, 7,817,768 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:09 PM

My Phone Was Stolen And My Firstbank Account Was Debited Without My Pin ! - Crime (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / My Phone Was Stolen And My Firstbank Account Was Debited Without My Pin ! (39927 Views)

My Phone Was Stolen And Money Withdrawn From My Bank Account / Pepper In Vagina Saga: No Phone Was Missing, Police CP / "How N37k Was Debited From My Bank Account Through My Stolen Phone" (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Phone Was Stolen And My Firstbank Account Was Debited Without My Pin ! by olamide452(f): 9:40am On Feb 28, 2019
FantasticJ:

Oga, It's not the bank, It's the Op friend.
There must have been a saved PIN on his phone or SIM. There's no way funds will move without passwords.
Not necessarily, I had the same issue last year, my bag was snatched and it had my atm card and phone. The thiefs used the last four digit and my phone to transfer money out.

1 Like

Re: My Phone Was Stolen And My Firstbank Account Was Debited Without My Pin ! by Nobody: 9:44am On Feb 28, 2019
This is why it is always advisable to password your sim.

Clearly his sim was taken out of the passworded stolen phone into another phone to carry out the act, Had it been his sim was pin passworded, that would have been the dead end once they tried to gain access 3 times and failed.

3 Likes

Re: My Phone Was Stolen And My Firstbank Account Was Debited Without My Pin ! by Nobody: 9:48am On Feb 28, 2019
Enskynelson:
Did your friend save his account details in his SIM Card? How was it that it was that easy to just transfer his money to another account with just his SIM card maybe? Where are the bankers here pls.
its very possible when the sim is tied your BVN, it is directly link to all your bank accounts.

The only way to protect yourself from such con act is pin password your SIM not only your phone.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Phone Was Stolen And My Firstbank Account Was Debited Without My Pin ! by DP84: 9:49am On Feb 28, 2019
holuphisayor:

This isnt about first bank staff. The USSD channel is unsafe. Just disable it on your account.

Last time i checked, there is a backdoor to this USSD thing.
I don't use USSD channels. Not even on the popular GTB 737. If it isn't on the app, then I'd rather go to the bank.
Re: My Phone Was Stolen And My Firstbank Account Was Debited Without My Pin ! by Justbeingreal(m): 9:51am On Feb 28, 2019
angry

Which bank in Nigeria is security tight at least??

Putting money in the bank is now risky...
Re: My Phone Was Stolen And My Firstbank Account Was Debited Without My Pin ! by holuphisayor(m): 9:51am On Feb 28, 2019
aaronson:
This is why it is always advisable to password your sim.

Clearly his sim was taken out of the passworded stolen phone into another phone to carry out the act, Had it been his sim was pin passworded, that would have been the dead end once they tried to gain access 3 times and failed.
Most times what they do is to request for the bvn of the user.(this works on mtn..... Dont know about others)
Then they change the ussd pin of that user and boom... The money is gone.
Just request your bank deactivate ussd transaction to be safe.

1 Like

Re: My Phone Was Stolen And My Firstbank Account Was Debited Without My Pin ! by AngelicBeing: 9:52am On Feb 28, 2019
FreelanceRebel:
Request for official bank statement(stamped)
Go to court and file affidavit
Get a police report
Print all your evidence and petition EFCC, forwarded a copy of you petition to CBN indicating it as a forward letter, via email (they will respond in less than 2 hours)
Forward same hardcopy (printed) to your bank branch and headquarter via email

At the bottom of your letter indicate CC: and state all the receipts full address for example.

CC:
EFCC recipient
CBN recipient
Bank HQ address
Etc

If you did not get your money with 10 working days, am in my house come and beat me.

This is reason why we should all have a charge and bail lawyer to handle small case like this.

Pls am not a lawyer o, my job is web design and am hungry now, pls epp me give me your website job, blog design, WordPress, Drupal etc

Am passionate about not starving to death
Gbam wink
Re: My Phone Was Stolen And My Firstbank Account Was Debited Without My Pin ! by holuphisayor(m): 9:54am On Feb 28, 2019
dasrackhor:
Oga there is ooo, last December 100k was withdraw from my account after my phone was stolen.
The trick is they will change your transactions pin by first getting your bvn number via your registered bvn sim and then use it to change your transaction pin via the Ussd platform.
To even make the matter worst I reported the case to the bank(Gtbank in Ogba) they couldn't do anything, I collected statement of account and went straight to the police and after various extortion from the police(from Bank order to various charges and nothing to show for it) I just give up easily.
Nigeria is a messed up Country and please Sim lock for Sim if you don't want someone to transfer your funds after snatching your phone.
You all should stay safe and yes if anybody can still help in apprehending those criminals I wouldn't mind.
100% for the bvn fraud. Thats what they do.
Re: My Phone Was Stolen And My Firstbank Account Was Debited Without My Pin ! by Olulinks(m): 9:54am On Feb 28, 2019
FreelanceRebel:
Get a police report
Print all your evidence and petition EFCC, forwarded a copy of you petition to CBN indicating it as a forward letter, via email (they will respond in less than 2 hours)

At the bottom of your letter indicate CC: and state all the receipts full address for example.

CC:
EFCC recipient
CBN recipient
Bank HQ address
Etc

If you did not get your money with 10 working days, am in my house come and beat me.

This is reason why we should all have a charge and bail lawyer to handle small case like this.

Pls am not a lawyer o, my job is web design and am hungry now, pls epp me give me your website job, blog design, WordPress, Drupal etc

Although you ended your submission on a seemingly joking note and the advert of yourself and your hustle, but no one on NL has made any sense this year like you.

I should bookmark your response. Let me back you up a little more, if the complainant puts this your submission into action and does not see his money back he shouldn't greet me again.

2 Likes

Re: My Phone Was Stolen And My Firstbank Account Was Debited Without My Pin ! by Nobody: 9:56am On Feb 28, 2019
holuphisayor:

Most times what they do is to request for the bvn of the user.(this works on mtn..... Dont know about others)
Then they change the ussd pin of that user and boom... The money is gone.
Just request your bank deactivate ussd transaction to be safe.
Not possible to change a sim pin without knowing the previous pin or puk number.

2 Likes

Re: My Phone Was Stolen And My Firstbank Account Was Debited Without My Pin ! by mfm04622: 9:58am On Feb 28, 2019
DP84:

Nah... Issue is quite complicated. I was indisposed at the time it all went down. Yes, I filled a form and traveled out of town shortly afterwards. It was transfer. There was no way it would have been via ATM because the card expired in July and I didn't get another because the account is barely used.

In all honesty, First Bank's staff are fraud. A friend called my attention to a similar case as mine just some weeks after my unfolded. Nothing was done still. The modus operandi of First Bank as regards to handling customer's funds is disturbing.

If it was transfer from your phone or inside the branch? If from your phone, there is nothing the bank can do. That is carelessness on you part. If from the branch, there is hope
Re: My Phone Was Stolen And My Firstbank Account Was Debited Without My Pin ! by Greenbullet(m): 10:00am On Feb 28, 2019
I suspect this is his profile , the account the money was transferred to is a Polaris bank account .

2 Likes

Re: My Phone Was Stolen And My Firstbank Account Was Debited Without My Pin ! by Nobody: 10:06am On Feb 28, 2019
Greenbullet:
Good day people , I want to report a case of theft and bad security , my friends phone was stolen in a bus ,take note, this phone was passworded , so he felt SAFE ! , ONLY TO RECEIVE THE SHOCK OF HIS LIFE, his FIRST BANK ACCOUNT HAD BEEN DEBITED , IN LESS THAN 9 HOURS , how could this be , a bank that parades itself as one of the best , be so easily breached ! , That means , the only thing protecting any customers account is their phone and not the bank ! , I was annoyed when he told me this , a certain HARRISON ONYEKACHI IS THE SUSPECT , we went to the bank for help and they told us they can't do anything but block the account , is this fair ? They have refused to help us , FIRST BANK has refused to help us track down the suspect , please moderators , help this reach the front page , many other individuals should know the level of protection that FIRST BANK provides them , I attached a screenshot and a PDF of the fraud .

WAS UR SIM CARD PASSWORDED TOO, if not , all the thief had to do was to remove ur sim & put it in another phone, empty ur bank account, Flash ur iPhone ( restore default), then sell it for extra cash

1 Like

Re: My Phone Was Stolen And My Firstbank Account Was Debited Without My Pin ! by Muscomide: 10:06am On Feb 28, 2019
I tell everyone who cares to listen that First Bank has got to be the worst bank in Nigeria, without a doubt. Very useless bank in all ramifications.

1 Like

Re: My Phone Was Stolen And My Firstbank Account Was Debited Without My Pin ! by thebestprice(m): 10:08am On Feb 28, 2019
Read this

silverbirdtv.com/security/41448/cyber-criminals-used-stolen-sim-cards-hack-bank-accounts/
Re: My Phone Was Stolen And My Firstbank Account Was Debited Without My Pin ! by holuphisayor(m): 10:09am On Feb 28, 2019
aaronson:
Not possible to change a sim pin without knowing the previous pin or puk number.
Ok, if that works then its fine.
Re: My Phone Was Stolen And My Firstbank Account Was Debited Without My Pin ! by thebestprice(m): 10:09am On Feb 28, 2019
Re: My Phone Was Stolen And My Firstbank Account Was Debited Without My Pin ! by DavidEsq(m): 10:10am On Feb 28, 2019
Greenbullet:
First bank has refused to help , they want this matter to die because they don't want to do anything about it , we went to their branch and they keep telling us there is nothing they can do !
Oga goan meet a lawyer jare
Re: My Phone Was Stolen And My Firstbank Account Was Debited Without My Pin ! by egojeny1(f): 10:17am On Feb 28, 2019
ejimatic:
. Sorry for what happened.When a phone is lost with a mobile bank app on it or is registered with online banking the next thing to do immediately is to go to a nearby bank whose app is on the phone or is used for an online banking and block the account immidiately.No alternative to this.The lazy Nigerians who are fraudsters can use your phone to break into your account. Banks usually don't want to reveal the identity of the the person who illegally withdrew the money unless there is a strong reason for this.1. It is a police case. 2 It is a case of armed robbery. 3 The case affects the bank itself 4. the money is withdrawn through ATM If it is a loss of phone like yours the onus lie on you to report it immediately to show that you have not deliberately compromised your account....It happened to me once and I blocked all my accounts immediately in the nearest branches. Finally if your money is withdrawn through USSD Bank may not be able to help on the identity ..It will be as if you were the person that withdrew it. Finally if you mount pressure on the bank and let the police be involved possibly you may get the identity of the Withdrawer....Please accept my sympathy... God will replenish you .
What if the phone is stolen @ night how can one get his/her acct blocked immediately?
Re: My Phone Was Stolen And My Firstbank Account Was Debited Without My Pin ! by adeoluphilips: 10:20am On Feb 28, 2019
Greenbullet:
Good day people , I want to report a case of theft and bad security , my friends phone was stolen in a bus ,take note, this phone was passworded , so he felt SAFE ! , ONLY TO RECEIVE THE SHOCK OF HIS LIFE, his FIRST BANK ACCOUNT HAD BEEN DEBITED , IN LESS THAN 9 HOURS , how could this be , a bank that parades itself as one of the best , be so easily breached ! , That means , the only thing protecting any customers account is their phone and not the bank ! , I was annoyed when he told me this , a certain HARRISON ONYEKACHI IS THE SUSPECT , we went to the bank for help and they told us they can't do anything but block the account , is this fair ? They have refused to help us , FIRST BANK has refused to help us track down the suspect , please moderators , help this reach the front page , many other individuals should know the level of protection that FIRST BANK provides them , I attached a screenshot and a PDF of the fraud .

This is not limited to the first bank...It happened to my wife as well...Her phone was stolen inside a commercial bus last year in the late evening on her way home from work. When she got home...I quickly took her ATM so as to go and transfer all the money to my own acxcount since the banks customer care didn't go. By the time i got there I they just deducted 1k from that acccount i was able to transfered the rest 83k BUT we forgot that her union bank would be affected as well...they successfully took 225k from the account in union bank. We approach the bank for report and what they can use to help us...till today they didn't do anything. We were asked to brink police report...we got it and submitted it in the bank and they promised to follow the case...they didn't do anything till today. Same at the police station...those one wants money before they do anything...we actually believed and gave them money to trace the issue but they didn't do anything...they were just playing us until we fed up. THIS IS NIGERIA for you...

1 Like

Re: My Phone Was Stolen And My Firstbank Account Was Debited Without My Pin ! by adeoluphilips: 10:21am On Feb 28, 2019
DP84:
It is high time First Bank did something about this! A hundred and Eight Thousand Naira (108,000) was withdrawn from my First Bank account in September. The account in question had an expired card and a new one had not been collected in its stead. When I complained at a branch closest to me, I was told it was impossible to withdraw without my consent.

First Bank staff are fraud!

This is not limited to the first bank...It happened to my wife as well...Her phone was stolen inside a commercial bus last year in the late evening on her way home from work. When she got home...I quickly took her ATM so as to go and transfer all the money to my own acxcount since the banks customer care didn't go. By the time i got there I they just deducted 1k from that acccount i was able to transfered the rest 83k BUT we forgot that her union bank would be affected as well...they successfully took 225k from the account in union bank. We approach the bank for report and what they can use to help us...till today they didn't do anything. We were asked to brink police report...we got it and submitted it in the bank and they promised to follow the case...they didn't do anything till today. Same at the police station...those one wants money before they do anything...we actually believed and gave them money to trace the issue but they didn't do anything...they were just playing us until we fed up. THIS IS NIGERIA for you...
Re: My Phone Was Stolen And My Firstbank Account Was Debited Without My Pin ! by egojeny1(f): 10:28am On Feb 28, 2019
adeoluphilips:

Haa! This is serious o!
Re: My Phone Was Stolen And My Firstbank Account Was Debited Without My Pin ! by Offpoint: 10:31am On Feb 28, 2019
FreelanceRebel:
Get a police report

CC:
EFCC recipient
CBN recipient
Bank HQ address
Etc

Boss all this one you list, before the guy do am finish e go don spend times 2 of the 18k dem withdraw

1 Like

Re: My Phone Was Stolen And My Firstbank Account Was Debited Without My Pin ! by Skeendip(m): 10:35am On Feb 28, 2019
chloride6:
Your friend was careless, not to have reported to the bank once the phone was stolen..#

To use the *894# ussd interface..

You need to know the mobile pin...

It is possible yout friends uses a simple PIN.]

In that case how is it FBN's fault...

Without knowledge of the pin, he couldnt have transferred funds through ussd.

Your friend might have saved his mobile pin on his sim card too, as some careless people do...

do you know, you dont need any verifcation to reset your pin?
Re: My Phone Was Stolen And My Firstbank Account Was Debited Without My Pin ! by einsteine(m): 10:46am On Feb 28, 2019
Stop blaming the bank.

There is no way someone can move money from an account using USSD or Mobile app without knowing your pin. Chances are your friend stored his pin on the sim. Secondly, banks cannot help retrieve money without a legal order. What if you actually made the transfer and now you are lying in order to get the money back? They can't be sure so you need to get a legal order from the court in order to get the money back and the beneficiary account blocked.

2 Likes

Re: My Phone Was Stolen And My Firstbank Account Was Debited Without My Pin ! by einsteine(m): 10:47am On Feb 28, 2019
Skeendip:

do you know, you dont need any verifcation to reset your pin?

You need to know the ATM details to reset the pin. That's enough verification.
Re: My Phone Was Stolen And My Firstbank Account Was Debited Without My Pin ! by Memberclub(m): 10:55am On Feb 28, 2019
Someone close to your friend SOLD the money. How?
He has access to the victims ATM card and sim card. That's all you need to steal from someone's account using first bank.
Re: My Phone Was Stolen And My Firstbank Account Was Debited Without My Pin ! by Skeendip(m): 11:04am On Feb 28, 2019
einsteine:

You need to know the ATM details to reset the pin. That's enough verification.

not on fb
Re: My Phone Was Stolen And My Firstbank Account Was Debited Without My Pin ! by jeron1(m): 11:07am On Feb 28, 2019
DP84:
It is high time First Bank did something about this! A hundred and Eight Thousand Naira (108,000) was withdrawn from my First Bank account in September. The account in question had an expired card and a new one had not been collected in its stead. When I complained at a branch closest to me, I was told it was impossible to withdraw without my consent.

And what sis u do about it?
Re: My Phone Was Stolen And My Firstbank Account Was Debited Without My Pin ! by jolyment: 11:12am On Feb 28, 2019
Oswardee:

Passworded phone or not, you can’t carry out a USSD transfer off a firstbank account with out a 5 digit pin. Maybe the phone was stolen by his friend or an insider who knows his pin. There is absolutely nothing your bank can do in this case because you compromised your pin. Report the matter to the police and with the help of your bank they can track the fraudster through the beneficiary of the transfer.

The bank can do a lot of things. The bank will have the records of how and where the funds went to. First bank helped my friend in a similar case when I was in school.
Re: My Phone Was Stolen And My Firstbank Account Was Debited Without My Pin ! by jolyment: 11:16am On Feb 28, 2019
DP84:

They have the records of where the money went to. Ask them and if they can't help you, report them to Consumer Protection Council.

1 Like

Re: My Phone Was Stolen And My Firstbank Account Was Debited Without My Pin ! by Tellemall: 11:20am On Feb 28, 2019
FreelanceRebel:
Get a police report

CC:
EFCC recipient
CBN recipient
Bank HQ address
Etc

Which email of the CBN?

Is there another one not on their website that will actually respond to one without saying that the contact is forbidden?

Contacting the CBN is overrated.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Armed Robber Lynched To Death In Aba (Viewers' Discretion) / Lady Calls Out Her Husband For Beating Her Because Of His Sidechic (Photos) / Uchenna Nwanneneme Dies In Ethiopian Prison

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.