Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,874 members, 7,810,330 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 07:11 AM

Cooking Should Be Both Husband And Wife Responsibility - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Cooking Should Be Both Husband And Wife Responsibility (9772 Views)

Can She Assumed A Wife Responsibility When Engaged? / NHS Doctor(Nigerian) And Wife ‘Owned Man As Slave For 24 Years’ / Angry Wife Exposes Chat Messages Between Her Husband And Other Women!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Cooking Should Be Both Husband And Wife Responsibility by fyneboi(m): 9:16pm On Aug 29, 2010
What if the girl you intend to marry or fiance does not know to cook or doesn't like to cook.

Will that discourage you from marrying her.

In this day in age, should cooking be a woman's responsibilty only.
Re: Cooking Should Be Both Husband And Wife Responsibility by double08(m): 9:28pm On Aug 29, 2010
am lucky my girl friend knows how to cook
God forbid I marry a girl that cannot cook
Re: Cooking Should Be Both Husband And Wife Responsibility by Nobody: 2:44am On Aug 30, 2010
if you take cooking as a major requirement for marriage then i guess you wouldnt marry such a gal as you mentionned BUT if you expect your wifey to work probably as long as you then you would understand that she shouldnt end up in the kitchen as an "after work" priority.

btw: since most people have maids in 9ja, isnt it irrelevant anyway as the maid will be the one cooking not wifey?

as for me, its irrelevant because A) if she doesnt know how to cook, i will teach her and B) if she doesnt like to cook, she will die of starvation and therefore will be force to cook anyway.
Re: Cooking Should Be Both Husband And Wife Responsibility by InkedNerd(f): 2:58am On Aug 30, 2010
Doesn't matter. Both husband and wife can split kitchen duty. There's no rule that says that because I'm a woman I must cook, nor is there a rule that says that a man must cook. I have an uncle that cooks for his wife and I have an teacher from high school who cooks every evening before his wife gets home from work. As husband and wife, you are a team and you should work as such, whether its in the kitchen or outside of the kitchen.
Re: Cooking Should Be Both Husband And Wife Responsibility by femy2010(m): 3:07am On Aug 30, 2010
Cooking is never a criteria 4 marriage but for me it is part of the features a lady should have.
As oyinish as we all tend to be or act,a time would come when d inability to cook would be a problem.
Re: Cooking Should Be Both Husband And Wife Responsibility by Nobody: 3:28am On Aug 30, 2010
Inked_Nerd:

Doesn't matter. Both husband and wife can split kitchen duty. There's no rule that says that because I'm a woman I must cook, nor is there a rule that says that a man must cook. I have an uncle that cooks for his wife and I have an teacher from high school who cooks every evening before his wife gets home from work. As husband and wife, you are a team and you should work as such, whether its in the kitchen or outside of the kitchen.

this is the amazing thing. . . . . . . . .  some husbands would rather go hungry and wait for wifey to come back home and cook for them rather than get off their behind and go cook some shiit.

femy2010:

Cooking is never a criteria 4 marriage but for me it is part of the features a lady should have.
As oyinish as we all tend to be or act,a time would come when d inability to cook would be a problem.

i will aways say that cooking is one of the thing that anyone can learn if they put their minds to it, therefore, even if your wife didnt know how to cook at first, she will definitely learn as you guys get along.

here is a tricky question:
1) if you were a dad at home, would you still expect wifey to cook for you?!
2) if you both are late working professionals,would you still expect her to cook for you every night?
Re: Cooking Should Be Both Husband And Wife Responsibility by InkedNerd(f): 3:33am On Aug 30, 2010
MRbrownJAY:

this is the amazing thing. . . . . . . . . some husbands would rather go hungry and wait for wifey to come back home and cook for them rather than get off their behind and go cook some shiit.

Yupp, that uncle of mine cooked Thanksgiving dinner one time while his wife sleep the whole day. And the teacher, he used to make me sandwiches when I'd visit. Both the wives of those men can and do cook, its just that the men usually do it.
Re: Cooking Should Be Both Husband And Wife Responsibility by Travelista(f): 3:40am On Aug 30, 2010
embarassed embarassed

I can't cook Nigerian food. (Don't judge me, I'm learning!) embarassed embarassed Luckily, I'm marrying someone that is a good cook, very patient when it comes to teaching me recipes and isn't against us sharing cooking duties.
Re: Cooking Should Be Both Husband And Wife Responsibility by bgees(m): 3:46am On Aug 30, 2010
I think a wife should know how to cook but not that she should always do the cooking .
Re: Cooking Should Be Both Husband And Wife Responsibility by aaidel(m): 4:03am On Aug 30, 2010
hmm well i think it depends on the understanding you have before marriage as for me i dont think its a big deal cooking if she doesnt cook i will afterall its my responsibility to feed hern and not vice versa i pity all the mummies men above complaining about not marrying someone that cant cook your wife will have you by stomach and use it as a way to punish you anytime you misbehave
Re: Cooking Should Be Both Husband And Wife Responsibility by bgees(m): 4:25am On Aug 30, 2010
It is universally agreed that a wife should at least know how to cook. Whether western , arab ,oriental or african, all cultures agree on that.  so , for  a woman to have no idea on how to cook , there must be something wrong with her upbringing.

I am a good cook , so it will be one big decision to marry a woman who can't.
Re: Cooking Should Be Both Husband And Wife Responsibility by Nobody: 6:06am On Aug 30, 2010
I would have love 2 help my future wife or wivies as d case may be in d cookin duty bt as they says "marriage changes people"
Re: Cooking Should Be Both Husband And Wife Responsibility by JesusloveU: 8:41am On Aug 30, 2010
Cooking is the work of the wife.But husband can help sometimes ,but it's not mandatory.Moreover,i can cook well and i pray not to have a woman that doesn't know how to cook.
Re: Cooking Should Be Both Husband And Wife Responsibility by Nobody: 10:33am On Aug 30, 2010
Unfortunately, my guy will not cook cos he does not know hw to do that.He can only prepare concotion rice (rice mixed with pepper, salt,magi and gheisha) and he can fry plantain.He cant even slice tomato and fresh pepper let alone know hw to prepare stew or go to the market.
So i dont hv choice but to do the cooking myself cos i wont allow house maid to cook for my man.
Congratulations and bravo to guys u can cook very well here, ur women are so fortunate.
Re: Cooking Should Be Both Husband And Wife Responsibility by femy2010(m): 10:58am On Aug 30, 2010
Cooking is the responsibility of the wife but the Husband can help a time.
Same as taking care of the need of the family is the responsibility of the husband but the wife can help .
Re: Cooking Should Be Both Husband And Wife Responsibility by mabaker(f): 11:35am On Aug 30, 2010
i think husband should be able to cook too.
what if the wife is sick or not in town?
i do not want to eat rubbish just because am sick and my husband cant cook
Re: Cooking Should Be Both Husband And Wife Responsibility by 1104(f): 11:51am On Aug 30, 2010
Cooking is the responsibility of the females

but the males can only assist to either spice up the affair or when the woman is readily un-available!

just my 2cents, mrs.190
Re: Cooking Should Be Both Husband And Wife Responsibility by Tosinville(m): 11:55am On Aug 30, 2010
Eh! my ppl wil ask me where in hell did i bring a girl dat cant cook into my life then there's something wrong wit her upbring who need to go back to her family members to teach her how to cook for 3yrs or more-------------well it isn't mandatory ur girl shld always be d cook in d house cos there times u need to assist her in d kitchen too but we al know its ladies responsibilities tho!. . . . . . . . . . Dis is 1 of d reason y some 9ja guys no dey gbadun foreign girls b dis to be their wife dem no fit cook ur food. Shey! pizza, cookies, black eyed peas etc na food abi crapz mshew!, abeg arrange 1 naija girl (excludin those 1s dat live almost their life abroad) as a wife jare make she help u arrange pounded-yam includin egusi soup wit bush meat make u chop am make u dey see ur naija wife dey hapi al d time unlike those 1s wey u go dey branch fast food 4 dem in d evening wen u dey come from work.
Re: Cooking Should Be Both Husband And Wife Responsibility by SAGoddess: 1:26pm On Aug 30, 2010
Cooking is for both partners to do. . . . . . . .would never get along with a man that waits for the woman to return home, infact I like my man to cook for me just as much as I cook for him.

I was personally taught by a man how to cook a couple of years ago, a very patient one at that, started off cleaning the veggies and doing the cutting and dicing, then stirring pots cheesy in no time, I could cook up a storm. Cooking is something that can be learnt!
Re: Cooking Should Be Both Husband And Wife Responsibility by queeneve: 1:42pm On Aug 30, 2010
Many of you men WERE SINGLE before you got married, and I am pretty sure you did not live with MUMMY until you got married unless you got married straight after SECONDARY SCHOOL, now, how did you EAT?

Now, if you assume the woman must LEARN HOW TO COOK, then the women must assume that you can PROVIDE, PROTEST, AND PERFORM, see the thing about ASSUME, is that you making AN AZZ OUT OF YOU AND ME,

Cooking is NOT a requirement for marriage and maybe that why MANY OF YOU ARE STILL LOOKING FOR LOVE,
Re: Cooking Should Be Both Husband And Wife Responsibility by saintchux(m): 4:31pm On Aug 30, 2010
I will not advice any man to marry a woman that do not know how to cook. Am an African man, it is the responsibility of my wife to cook for the family and not me, though I can cook.

Good food is what a man and his family needs. It is not negotiable for a woman. A woman must know how to cook and cook well. Men that their wives know how to cook good food rush home for dinner. If you wife know how to cook, you hardly eat outside.

Any woman that want a stable home should go and learn how to cook, not just cook, but good food, it will do you good.

If your husband eats outside because you don't know how to cook,you will loose him to another woman. Better run to school of catering.

THIS IS BITTER TRUTH.
Re: Cooking Should Be Both Husband And Wife Responsibility by Nobody: 7:41pm On Aug 30, 2010
Cooking should be a joint responsibility.

My wife is a great cook, so am I. My wife cooks most of the time, though there are times I've told her to hold off cooking the evening meal, and I then cook myself when I return home from work. She has our baby daughter to look after, which is a full-time job itself.

It's not that she can't juggle both cooking and child-minding, it's just my way of showing her how much I love and appreciate her. This is just my take on things, other people may find things work differently for them, and cooking is the sole responsibility of the wife.
Re: Cooking Should Be Both Husband And Wife Responsibility by mutter(f): 11:32pm On Aug 30, 2010
Looking after a baby has now became a full time job smiley
Abeg go and buy your wife a wrapper if she does not already have one.

Whatever happened to the adage
"the way to a mans heart is through the stomach"
must have been a total idiot or a very wise man.
It is the womans duty to cook for the husband and kids.
However a kind and considerate man helps out.
That does not make it his duty.
Re: Cooking Should Be Both Husband And Wife Responsibility by Nobody: 12:25am On Aug 31, 2010
Mutter, as I stated, whatever works for a given couple. There are no right or wrong ways here. Looking after a baby is a full-time job, unless of course we're referring to you, who's been there, done it all, so of course, you wrote the child-rearing manual.

Our way works well for us.
Re: Cooking Should Be Both Husband And Wife Responsibility by Nobody: 2:22am On Aug 31, 2010
@siena

Honey, Do whatever works for u and ur wife and pay no mind to anybody,my hubby cooks for me @ times and it doesnt make him less a man, infact he makes mouth that he is a better cook than me,lol but honestly the guy cooks gd if u taste dat guys egusi soup, dayummmmm,lol

A man cooking for his wife and even kids when he is got to the chance to is no crime, it might be away of appreciating his family
Re: Cooking Should Be Both Husband And Wife Responsibility by SAGoddess: 7:43am On Aug 31, 2010
Looking after a child is definitely a full time job, even more demanding than an office job so do your thing Siena and help out, your wife appreciates it.

As for the super woman, more power to you!
Re: Cooking Should Be Both Husband And Wife Responsibility by mutter(f): 10:15am On Aug 31, 2010
If looking after a baby is a full time job then there is no capacity for a second child.
Anyway if it is the first baby, then everything is new and needs getting used to.
I was just trying to suggest that she can strap the baby on her back and that turns the full time job into a part time job.
I do not have to be a better mother just because I have more kids. A mother with one child may be a better mother than one with ten.
I did not say a man should not cook for a wife, but it is not his duty.
My husband cooks very often too and some things he cooks better than I do.
Goddess-Amen
If na bad prayer return to sender kiss
Re: Cooking Should Be Both Husband And Wife Responsibility by SAGoddess: 10:30am On Aug 31, 2010
You got serious issues, you need to check yourself. . . . . . . .what bad prayer are you talking about?
Re: Cooking Should Be Both Husband And Wife Responsibility by JesusloveU: 10:40am On Aug 31, 2010
Any man who marry a wife that does not know how to cook is in hell.For me it's the duty of the wife to cook not the husband,but the husband can help sometimes that's if the husband knows how to cook.I can cook very well,but i can't marry a wife that doesn't know how to cook.Any woman that does not know how to cook has a bad character and she doesn't have a good trainning from her parents home.
Re: Cooking Should Be Both Husband And Wife Responsibility by Shinatu: 11:10am On Aug 31, 2010
queeneve:

Many of you men WERE SINGLE before you got married, and I am pretty sure you did not live with MUMMY until you got married unless you got married straight after SECONDARY SCHOOL, now, how did you EAT?

Now, if you assume the woman must LEARN HOW TO COOK, then the women must assume that you can PROVIDE, PROTEST, AND PERFORM, see the thing about ASSUME, is that you making AN AZZ OUT OF YOU AND ME,

Cooking is NOT a requirement for marriage and maybe that why MANY OF YOU ARE STILL LOOKING FOR LOVE,

Do not mind them, the same people who say the woman must cook are the same who will tell the woman to be ready to partner the man in providing for the family. Talk of double standard, at the end of the day, the woman ends up a super woman, cooks,cleans the house, carries pregnancies,nuture baby,take care of children, works to support the husband financially and if the husband does not have a job she is ecpected to fully take over that also. Na wa o!
Re: Cooking Should Be Both Husband And Wife Responsibility by Nobody: 8:06pm On Aug 31, 2010
mutter:

If looking after a baby is a full time job then there is no capacity for a second child.

Mutter, you're a very strange woman. You will never concede that your views are not entirely universally acceptable. The same goes for your views in the MIL thread.

Super woman indeed! You should write a manual on "Better Parenting." I wonder what lead to your son's break-up with his wife? With a MIL like yourself, your DIL probably couldn't wait to get away from you. MIL from hell indeed.
Re: Cooking Should Be Both Husband And Wife Responsibility by mutter(f): 9:16pm On Aug 31, 2010
Siena how can the views of one man be acceptable by all?
I still have very good relationship with my DIL.

(1) (2) (Reply)

.. / Knowing Your Ovulation Day...... Safe And Fertile Period / An Arranged Marriage: Is It Right?

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.