Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,852 members, 7,810,280 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:54 AM

Does Fasting Help You Lose Weight? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Does Fasting Help You Lose Weight? (10014 Views)

Imarah 'Dr Tomi’s Haven': Lack Of Regular Sex Can Make You Lose Your Job / Standing More Often Can Help You Lose Belly Fat And Improve Overall Health / How Keto Nigerian Diet Can Help You Lose Weight (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does Fasting Help You Lose Weight? by drklas01(m): 10:25am On Mar 01, 2019
Fasting results in weight loss is a commonly held belief. You probably heard it or thought it to yourself “instead of diet, or exercise just fast and you will be fine”.
Well, while this might work in some instances, it might be detrimental to your health in other instances.

Firstly, You should understand your body’s metabolism before you embark on your fasting journey.
Secondly, You need to ask yourself what caused the extra weight gain? Is it as a result of your bad eating habits or bad lifestyle habits? If this is true, then your approach should be to correct these habits first.

In some people due to their metabolism and lifestyle choices, fasting simply won’t work. And it might be detrimental to their health.
So here you are trying to be fit and healthy and instead of doing the right thing, you’re simply hurting yourself.

In addition to hurting yourself, some people have certain conditions that aren’t compatible with fasting.
e.g. people with or that are prone to diabetes and ulcers should limit fasting and consult their doctors before fasting in order not to aggravate their health conditions further.

Besides, it might be difficult and punishing to tell an overweight or obese person to fast. Why? This is because of the hormone “Leptin” which increases the urge for food in the overweight and obese. The level of leptin is high in this group of people and sensitivity to this hormone is decreased. Usually, leptin should reduce the level of hunger and cause satiety but since sensitivity to it is decreased, the level of hunger and in-satiety increases.

How the Body Loses Weight When You Fast
The body has several ways of providing energy to keep it functioning. If one way stops working, then it relies on other ways. After eating food, the blood glucose level rises and this stimulates the release of insulin. Insulin helps push glucose into cells and store them as glycogen in the liver and muscles. When glycogen stores are filled up, excess glucose is converted to fats and they are stored in adipose tissues. This is how weight is gained.

A while after eating, the level of insulin goes down while that of glucagon and epinephrine goes up. The glycogen stores are broken down and glucose is released in the blood. Amino acids gotten from proteins are also released from skeletal muscles and fatty acids from adipose tissues.

In the case of Fasting, the levels of glucagon and epinephrine become very high. At this stage, glycogen stores are depleted and the break down of fats from adipose tissue occurs. This will result in weight loss.

While this might be good you think since fat break down will result in weight loss but it’s a little more complicated than that. When the fats are broken down for energy, a substance known as acetyl-CoA is released in excess and is used for ketone synthesis.

Increased ketone levels in the blood aren’t good. It can lead to ketoacidosis which as several negative effects on the body.

It is associated with symptoms such as; polyuria, dehydration, thirst, CNS depression, coma and may eventually lead to death. It has a characteristic strong ketone breath smell.

The Negative Effects of Fasting
1. Indulgence in Bad Eating Habit
There is a biological push to want to overeat after fasting. It’s a sort of compensatory mechanism your body crave for and a lot of people fall for this. This results in unwanted calories that cancel the effect of fasting and maybe dangerous since bad eating habits are addictive. So there is a likelihood you stick with these bad habits even when you aren’t fasting.

2. It’s easy to give up on
This weight loss technique is just too easy to quit compared to other techniques. It takes time to adapt to it. This is simply because the hunger hormone “ghrelin” is secreted when the stomach is empty and secretion stops when the stomach is stretched or after eating. This makes you more hungry when fasting as compared to when you aren’t.

3. Electrolyte imbalances
This might affect people with high blood pressure and heart diseases. Fasting results in an imbalance of homeostasis and important electrolytes that keep the body’s vital organs such as the heart and brain functioning properly. If you are in this category, You should consult your doctor before embarking on your fasting journey

4. The inability of the body to function properly
The body needs food to provide it with the energy it requires to function. When the body doesn’t get the appropriate energy it needs, you won’t have enough energy to carry out our normal daily activities resulting in unproductivity. Apart from that if the body doesn’t get the nutrients, it needs to function, it starts to malfunction e.g. Low immune response, slow healing etc.

5. Ketoacidosis
High ketone bodies which result from high fat breakdown will occur as a result of prolonged fasting. It is characterized by a distinct ketone smell, dehydration, thirst, dizziness, headache and may lead to coma and eventually death.

The Right Approach to Fasting
Fasting has benefits if it’s done right, suitable for you and your body metabolism. If it works for you, then at least you want to get it right.

The best technique for fasting is known as intermittent fasting. This is when you have your normal calorie intake for most days of the week and limit calorie intake during certain days of the week or during specific hours of the day.

This has been proven to work by a number of studies.

In research published in JAMA Internal Medicine, 100 overweight people were given one of three eating plans; restricting daily calorie intake by the same amount every day (similar to a traditional diet plan), fasting on alternate days, and continuing with normal eating habits. At the end of the 12-month study, both diet groups had lost weight compared with the normal eaters. However, the people on the fasting plan didn’t fare any better than those restricting daily calorie intake.

This proves that intermittent fasting works but not any better than dieting i.e. cutting caloric intake.

Alternatives to Fasting
There are several more efficient ways to lose weight apart from fasting.

1. Have a suitable diet plan for you: From the study above, fasting doesn’t work any better than dieting. Dieting might be preferred since the negative effects are reduced. Read how to make a diet plan here.

2. Exercise: If you are serious about losing weight, then you want to do some exercise. Your fitness is a combination of diet and exercise. You can simply start with fitness basics and you can advance from there. Make your own workout plan, choose which exercises are suitable for you. You can go to the gym or do at-home exercises.

3. Drink water more often: Water is vital for your health. Not only that, water helps you lose weight by reducing hunger. You want to drink water as often as possible. It’s recommended to take 8 cups of water per day.

4. Eat Fruits more often: Fruits are high in fibre, water, nutrients, vitamins and minerals, which are beneficial to health and weight loss. The fibre content of fruits helps digestion, fills up the stomach, reduces hunger, thereby reducing weight loss. It is recommended to eat two cups of fruit per day.

Conclusion
So as you can see, fasting isn’t the perfect solution to weight loss. If done well, in the case of intermittent fasting, it can be beneficial to health. If not, it can be detrimental to health.

Dieting is a better alternative to fasting because you get approximately the same result with less negative risk effect.

It is also important to note that we respond differently to fasting. Some people can tolerate fasting better than others while some can’t tolerate it at all. It’s best to understand your metabolism before deciding to fast or not.

Lastly, fasting is not advised or you should consult your doctor before fasting if you have certain conditions such as stomach ulcers, diabetes, high blood pressure and heart diseases.

https://abcstrength.com/does-fasting-help-you-lose-weight/

3 Likes

Re: Does Fasting Help You Lose Weight? by donbachi(m): 10:30am On Mar 01, 2019
You can't...because the holy spirit feeds you with the best balance diet any nutritionist or dietician can offer....so imagine been fed by holy spirit.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does Fasting Help You Lose Weight? by stillseth: 11:01am On Mar 01, 2019
The rich break fast with nutritious meals, and they are still fresh while fasting....The poor break fast with anything wey dem see...Now ask yourself again...wetin dey make person use fasting loose weight? Na poverty....if you wan loose weight..watch your diet or hit the gym.

6 Likes

Re: Does Fasting Help You Lose Weight? by manlikeboss: 11:01am On Mar 01, 2019
sad sad
Re: Does Fasting Help You Lose Weight? by Achorise: 11:03am On Mar 01, 2019
Does fighting helps you to lose weight?
No!
Exercise does.
Re: Does Fasting Help You Lose Weight? by airminem(f): 11:05am On Mar 01, 2019
Eventually you loose weight after or during fasting, you cant say its not a result of the fasting, that its a result of you not eating enough.

Re: Does Fasting Help You Lose Weight? by asawanathegreat(m): 11:06am On Mar 01, 2019
Ask Buhari
Re: Does Fasting Help You Lose Weight? by jnrbayano(m): 11:06am On Mar 01, 2019
Controlled food intake makes you not to add weight. Exercises makes you to loose weight

Not adding weight and loosing weight are not the same

2 Likes

Re: Does Fasting Help You Lose Weight? by tsharp(m): 11:06am On Mar 01, 2019
Achorise:
Does fighting helps you to lose weight?
No!
Exercise does.

Exercise keeps you fit. If you don't watch you eat if you like exercise for a year nonstop you will continue to be fat.

Fasting?...Sure bet to lose weight.

1 Like

Re: Does Fasting Help You Lose Weight? by Osyxcel(m): 11:06am On Mar 01, 2019
Let me book space before all these "see below" full here angry

Fasting helps you lose weight. When you deny your body food, first, you reduce your calories intake, then your body begins to covert the sugar (first) and fat (next) stored up into energy so your body system can continue to function.

However, fasting must be done with caution and must be suitable for your body system.
Re: Does Fasting Help You Lose Weight? by helinues: 11:07am On Mar 01, 2019
I dont like fasting instead I love slowing
Re: Does Fasting Help You Lose Weight? by senatepresido: 11:08am On Mar 01, 2019
I'm here today to report those spamming almost every thread with Bet9ja fixed game and MTN subscription and I will do that to the best of my ability...

12 Likes

Re: Does Fasting Help You Lose Weight? by chrisbaxtian(m): 11:09am On Mar 01, 2019
donbachi:
You can't...because the holy spirit feeds you with the best balance diet any nutritionist or dietician can offer....so imagine been fed by holy spirit.

fed by the holy spirit?! if the diet of the holy spirit is as good as you claim, why haven't you stopped eating physical food? over spiritualizing issues that have to do with everyday life is one of the many things that bugs me about modern day Pentecostalism.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does Fasting Help You Lose Weight? by slawomir: 11:09am On Mar 01, 2019
Okay
Re: Does Fasting Help You Lose Weight? by Burgerlomo: 11:10am On Mar 01, 2019
Can fasting help someone like Mr Ibu lose belly fat? grin
Re: Does Fasting Help You Lose Weight? by mattonnairaland: 11:11am On Mar 01, 2019
Yes, it does.
Re: Does Fasting Help You Lose Weight? by rachaelNO: 11:13am On Mar 01, 2019
WORK TO ACHIEVE AND MAINTAIN YOUR HEALTH GOALS !!!
You do not have to be sick; our work is as much preventive as it is cure.
We support you to achieve your health goals (as varied as they may be), through lifestyle and behavior changes.
Anything from losing weight, to gaining energy, to improving nutrition and controlling your blood pressure. We are knowledgeable wellness experts , we mentor, inspire, guide and motivate you to make positive health choices.
Office address 106 zik’s, Avenue at St Faith Cathedral Awka
For more information call: 08149712051.
Email: nneka@proyouservices.com
smiley
Re: Does Fasting Help You Lose Weight? by Josnac(m): 11:13am On Mar 01, 2019
senatepresido:
I'm here today to report those spamming almost every thread with Bet9ja fixed game and MTN subscription and I will do that to the best of my ability...

We're on the same train, those Clowns are making NL look like a joke.

2 Likes

Re: Does Fasting Help You Lose Weight? by foxobopo: 11:15am On Mar 01, 2019
like seriously, starvation is different from fasting sha...
Re: Does Fasting Help You Lose Weight? by senatepresido: 11:15am On Mar 01, 2019
Josnac:

We're on the same train, those Clowns are making NL look like a joke.

well-done brother... I for one, I hate scam... our European counterparts no longer trust the few faithful blacks

1 Like

Re: Does Fasting Help You Lose Weight? by Apus: 11:20am On Mar 01, 2019
I liked Intermittent fasting espicially the 8-12 hours window. It helped my digestive system and also helped me get the best from the food i eat. I picked very healthy foods to eat which was even way cheaper and convenient than eating junks. It almost became my lifestyle but for those around me who thought i was inflicting pain on myself.

2 Likes

Re: Does Fasting Help You Lose Weight? by Baroba(m): 11:20am On Mar 01, 2019
Dietary ketones is different from diabetic ketoacidosis, this has already been proven by medical science.. I wonder where OP got that from..Please do well to read Dr Jason Fung's The Obesity Code..

Intermittent fasting and a ketogenic diet is not only good for weight loss, it's also excellent for overall well being..

(1) (2) (Reply)

Diet For Renal Patient / Please Where Can I Get Rosemary Leaves And Raw Shea Butter Here In Nigeria? / 10 Worst Foods For Prostate Health

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.