Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,661 members, 7,809,502 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:38 AM

Saraki, Goubadia Worry Over January Polls - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Saraki, Goubadia Worry Over January Polls (512 Views)

Buhari’s Aides Worry About His Health - Saharareporters / Kogi Polls: Police Uncover Plan To Dress Thugs In Police Uniform / Governors Express Worry Over High Naira Exchange Rate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Saraki, Goubadia Worry Over January Polls by oladayo042: 10:55am On Aug 30, 2010
ELDER statesman and chieftain of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Dr. Abubakar Olusola Saraki, and former Chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), Dr. Abel Goubadia, at the weekend expressed doubt over the possibility of next year’s general elections taking place in January, as being planned by the commission, and its ability to conduct water-tight polls.

Saraki, who just returned to the country after a two-month sojourn abroad, said while addressing journalists in Ilorin, the Kwara State capital, that much still needed to be done by the electoral umpire before a credible election can take place.

According to him, INEC must come up with a credible voter register, a process that is yet to begin.

He said: “Prof. (Attahiru) Jega is a man of integrity, but I doubt if they are going to achieve that January date. Will they be able to do everything in four months? I don’t think it is feasible. To compile voter register, display voter register for claims and all that with the election all in four months, that will be very difficult.”

Asked whether the election should be postponed, he said: “No, I don’t know how four months will be adequate before you train the personnel and get the equipment ready. Have they procured the equipment? If they have not got the equipment ready, to place an order for them and manufacture take time and if you factor all this into it, it will be very difficult to achieve in four months. I think they should work it out again, but I doubt if four months will be enough.”

The INEC chairman has, on several occasions, warned that any further delay in the release of funds for the exercise may affect its conduct.

Even, the Action Congress of Nigerian (ACN) has advised that the election be postponed till April to enable INEC do a thorough job.

Guobadia took a critical look at the various plans being put in place by the commission ahead of the general elections and declared that the electoral body is walking on a tight rope.

Speaking in an exclusive interview with the Nigerian Compass in Abuja, Guobadia, who was the Chairman of INEC between 2000 and 2005, equally pointed out that too much registered political parties imposed a lot of difficulties on the commission during past elections.

There are no fewer than 60 registered political parties in the country presently.

The former INEC boss noted with regrets that most people do not usually consider the pressure on the commission in the conduct of its task.

According to him, “if we play it (2011 general elections) free and fair, there is no fear. But, INEC is on a tight rope. Already, we are in August, they (INEC) are going to compile the register of voters newly. Time is running out because planning for election is not just easy.

“The pressure on INEC is what people are not considering. But a lot will depend on the political establishment. I cannot predict but I think we have had enough experience in this country that in approach to the polls, we should learn to be quite moderate and considerate in our desires and wishes for those who we want to get elected.”

Asked to comment on the large number of registered political parties and the effect on next year’s polls, Guobadia said: “Personally, I think a large number of national political parties impose a lot of load on INEC.

“In 2003, that was the first time we had 30 political parties in the country, the ballot paper was long. That is one. The burden of providing for 30 political parties is something else.

“So, my advice will be, at least, at the national level, the condition should be made a little more stringent. There can be local political parties that are not for National Assembly elections, not for Presidential election.

“Local parties can be of two types, those that can contest state elections and those not qualified to contest State elections. As big as India is, their democracy has never relaxed since they gained independence, it has been on course.

“The national parties in India are not more than two or three, but there are numbers of small parties not heard of at national election, which border themselves at the local level. I think this is what we should be thinking about.”

Guobadia, who conducted the 2003 elections that returned former President Olusegun Obasanjo to office for the second term, however, stated that his happiest day as the Chairman of INEC was on My 29, 2003, when the nation successfully transited from one civilian regime to another in a very peaceful and orderly manner.

According to him, “everything to me in INEC was like any other day. I went to work, which is to achieve a certain goal and came back fulfilled. If am to talk of a particular day, the particular day will be the day former President Olusegun Obasanjo was sworn in on May 29, 2003 for a second term.

“I felt very happy personally that I supervised the election that enabled us to transit, for the first time, in a peaceful manner. I was personally present at Eagle Square that day and I felt a sense of pride seeing some dignitaries watching the proceedings.”

By Lateef Ibrahim, Abuja & Victor Oriola

http://www.compassnewspaper.com/NG/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=66559:saraki-goubadia-worry-over-january-polls-&catid=672:top-stories&Itemid=794

(1) (Reply)

Presidency Moves To Amend New Electoral Act / Court Sets Half Billion Bail For Akingbola / Northern Nigeria - Killings, violence come as election looms

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.