Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,478 members, 7,819,741 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:04 PM

Lagos My State; Who Owns Lagos? History 101:point Of Information - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos My State; Who Owns Lagos? History 101:point Of Information (1544 Views)

₦5 Billion Palliative To Each State, Who Is Deceiving Who? / Niger: Boko Haram Has Taken Over Parts Of My State - Governor Sani Bello (Video) / "Na Them Dey Rush Buhari": List Of Heads Of State Who Visited Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos My State; Who Owns Lagos? History 101:point Of Information by aremuforlife(m): 10:35am On Mar 03, 2019
LAGOS MY STATE; WHO OWNS LAGOS? HISTORY 101:POINT OF INFORMATION

"By 1872 Lagos was a cosmopolitan trading center with a population of over 60,000 people. Colonial Lagos developed into a busy, cosmopolitan port, with an architecture that blended Victorian and Brazilian styles.The Brazilian element was imparted by skilled builders and masons who had returned from Brazil The black elite was composed of English-speaking "Saros" from Sierra Leone and other emancipated slaves who had been repatriated from Brazil and Cuba.
By 1872 the population of the colony was over 60,000, of whom less than 100 were of European origin.

In 1876 imports were valued at £476,813 and exports at £619,260. Telephone links with Britain were established by 1886, and electric street lighting in 1898.
In August 1896, Charles Joseph George and G.W. Neville,both merchants and both unofficial members of the Legislative Council, presented a petition urging construction of the railway terminus on Lagos Island rather than at Ido, and also asking for the railway to be extended to Abeokuta. Lagos history is rich in Yoruba tradition,trade and commerce, infrastructural development and cosmopolitanism." -EXTRACTED

With the little facts above, I would like to educate some illiterates making stupid assumption from blind sentiments that they developed Lagos.

Lagosians had telephone presence in 1886, Itu and Calabar got connected to Telephone in 1923, while between 1946 and 1952, a three-channel line carrier system was commissioned between Lagos and Ibadan and was later extended to Osogbo, Kaduna, Kano, Benin, and Enugu.

Communication technology is a major signifier of civilizations and if Lagosians were already making telephone calls more than 70 years before Igbo citizens, where then did you get the warped idea that you came to develop Lagos?

By 1856 Cable and Wireless Company of the UK had commissioned a submarine cable link between Lagos and London and in 1851 a post office was established in Lagos; all these before the emergence of Nigeria as an amalgamated country. If I may ask again, where did the stupid idea that Igbo developed Lagos come from? Or that Lagos was developed with Nigeria's money when Lagos was not even part of Nigeria until 1914.

I always feel embarrassed anytime I read and hear even so-called educated people from the East making these stupid assertions.

The first Yoruba lawyer Christopher Alexander Sapara Williams was called to the English Bar in 1879 whilst the first Igbo lawyer, Sir Louis Mbanefo, was called to the English bar in 1937.

Again the first Yoruba medical practitioner, Dr. Nathaniel King, graduated in 1875 from the University of Edinburgh whilst the first Igbo medical practitioner, Dr. Akannu Ibiam, graduated from another Scottish University in 1935. Again I ask, where did the ignorant hypothesis of the backward Yoruba race who needed development by the superior Igbo race come from?

For the sake of our generation and posterity, we need to teach factual history and not just cook up some cock and bull ego-centric concoctions as facts. The attitude of recycling long tales steeped in empty arrogance should be discarded before you miseducate your kids with fictions.

Awolowo will continue to be the Yoruba hero not because of blind followership but because he gave his people the system of free education, free healthcare and he introduced Television to the Yoruba; making Yorubaland the first region to have a TV station in Africa, all done with revenues from Cocoa. It is crass ignorance and naked buffonery to claim Lagos was built with Nigeria's money. In addition, where did the foolish idea that the Igbo brought civilization to Lagos and Yoruba-land come from?

The aim of this post is not to deride any tribe but to correct the dangerous misinformation trending among some Igbo youths and common in their narratives that Lagos is a no-man's land and that their fathers built and developed Lagos.

Ancestors of Igbo people came to Yoruba-land like all other settlers and we appreciate their contributions. But the stupid claim that Igbo built and developed Lagos is a gross display of stupidity because Lagos was already developed before Igbo ancestors came here from their villages and towns.

The first storey building in Nigeria was built in Marina, Badagry in 1845, long before some of hinterland people gave up the idea of conical mud houses with thatched roofs which some boastfully called 'ancient mansions.' How can you now claim your grand-sires developed Lagos? Please if you are one of those spreading the fiction, I expect you to desist from self-delusion and collective amnesia forthwith.

The first Igbo alphabet-character set and Igbo primer (Isoama-Ibo) was published by Bishop Samuel Ajayi Crowther (a Yoruba man from Osogun) in 1857. How can you now claim superiority over the Yoruba race and even carelessly affirm that your forebears should be thanked for bringing enlightenment to Yoruba Land?

While I do not see all these achievements as a sign of Yoruba superiority over the Igbo or any other tribe, for I do not believe in racial superiority; I will not also tolerate any attempt by bigots who stoke ethnic hatred through incitement and arrogant claims of superiority over others.

Gbam! Lagos 101
���

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos My State; Who Owns Lagos? History 101:point Of Information by successmatters(m): 10:36am On Mar 03, 2019
Lagos belongs to all Nigerians,

The Bini of Edo state founded Lagos as a slave camp
The colonial powers built Lagos as administrative crown colony
The money flowing from Niger Delta was used to build infrastructure and ports in Lagos
The whole country has a stake and say in Lagos.

Anybody who doesn't like what I said can go take a nose dive in the lagoon grin

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lagos My State; Who Owns Lagos? History 101:point Of Information by GR8ST(m): 10:40am On Mar 03, 2019
Hmm.
Re: Lagos My State; Who Owns Lagos? History 101:point Of Information by lexyking(m): 10:40am On Mar 03, 2019
Please tell them o

1 Like

Re: Lagos My State; Who Owns Lagos? History 101:point Of Information by successmatters(m): 10:43am On Mar 03, 2019
I still ask, if yorubas say they developed Lagos, what stops them from developing Oshogbo, okitipupa and ado ekiti? grin

Go ahead, develop other yoruba states not the one we used Niger delta money to build the ports?

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Lagos My State; Who Owns Lagos? History 101:point Of Information by thatigboman: 10:53am On Mar 03, 2019
See this op, started from the development of lagos by white man and igbos, he deviated to tribalistic ranting.
Lagos is no man's land forever and ever.

1 Like

Re: Lagos My State; Who Owns Lagos? History 101:point Of Information by thatigboman: 10:55am On Mar 03, 2019
successmatters:
I still ask, if yorubas say they developed Lagos, what stops them from developing Oshogbo, okitipupa and ado ekiti? grin

Go ahead, develop other yoruba states not the one we used Niger delta money to build the ports?
and even d refugee camp called ibadan, where their great grandfathers and mothers ran to when fulani herdsmen chased them away from ilorin and dahomey women nearly exterminated them in abeokuta.
Re: Lagos My State; Who Owns Lagos? History 101:point Of Information by oyebanji44: 11:09am On Mar 03, 2019
Absolutely correct ; the ibos are strangers and settlers just like the Fulani..There is no need for the Ibo people to claim what belongs to the Yorubas.go and develop your region .simple

3 Likes

Re: Lagos My State; Who Owns Lagos? History 101:point Of Information by Nobody: 11:10am On Mar 03, 2019
Another Igbo topic on lagos.... dI'd you see any other tribe aspiring for Governorship except the yorubas?

The idea is to get you thinking the Igbos are claiming Lagos thereby pushing block vote to the APC despite non disclosure of its financial books since 1999 and trucks of bullion vans in residential homes of its leaders.

Gbadamosi of ADC is a Yoruba man
Agbaje of PDP is a yoruba man
Sanwo olu is a yoruba man..

Make the right choice.

1 Like

Re: Lagos My State; Who Owns Lagos? History 101:point Of Information by jcdthejuicyboy: 12:11pm On Mar 03, 2019
successmatters:

The money flowing from Niger Delta was used to build infrastructure and ports in Lagos
The whole country has a stake and say in Lagos.

Anybody who doesn't like what I said can go take a nose dive in the lagoon grin

leave the idiot...oh i pray for referendum...
Re: Lagos My State; Who Owns Lagos? History 101:point Of Information by valentineuwakwe(m): 12:33pm On Mar 03, 2019
take am easy...no one is fighting you here. ..but why is your text full of 'stupid'....atleast show some respect to the igbo tribe....and least you forget, we will all die one day and pray we were never born a Nigerian....imagine what will happen wen two biggest southern tribes clash? why can't the FULANI or Hausa do same? Or kanuri and Hausa clash?
abeg just calm down....no matter the flare tempers, there is still room for greatness..we go settle..this is naija
Re: Lagos My State; Who Owns Lagos? History 101:point Of Information by naijaguy1234(m): 12:42pm On Mar 03, 2019
Make Una come hear word, Omo ale jati jati.

The first Yoruba lawyer Christopher Alexander Sapara Williams was called to the English Bar in 1879 whilst the first Igbo lawyer, Sir Louis Mbanefo, was called to the English bar in 1937.

The first Yoruba medical practitioner, Dr. Nathaniel King, graduated in 1875 from the University of Edinburgh whilst the first Igbo medical practitioner, Dr. Akannu Ibiam, graduated from another Scottish University in 1935.
Awolowo will continue to be the Yoruba hero not because of blind followership but because he gave his people the system of free education, free healthcare and he introduced Television to the Yoruba; making Yorubaland the first region to have a TV station in Africa, all done with revenues from Cocoa. It is crass ignorance and Unclad buffonery to claim Lagos was built with Nigeria's money. In addition, where did the foolish idea that the Igbo brought civilization to Lagos and Yoruba-land come from?

4 Likes

Re: Lagos My State; Who Owns Lagos? History 101:point Of Information by RevenGeMission: 1:17pm On Mar 03, 2019
70 years ahead grin grin grin grin grin grin

Yoruba is wise

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos My State; Who Owns Lagos? History 101:point Of Information by Cantonese: 1:21pm On Mar 03, 2019
aremuforlife:
LAGOS MY STATE; WHO OWNS LAGOS? HISTORY 101:POINT OF INFORMATION

"By 1872 Lagos was a cosmopolitan trading center with a population of over 60,000 people. Colonial Lagos developed into a busy, cosmopolitan port, with an architecture that blended Victorian and Brazilian styles.The Brazilian element was imparted by skilled builders and masons who had returned from Brazil The black elite was composed of English-speaking "Saros" from Sierra Leone and other emancipated slaves who had been repatriated from Brazil and Cuba.
By 1872 the population of the colony was over 60,000, of whom less than 100 were of European origin.

In 1876 imports were valued at £476,813 and exports at £619,260. Telephone links with Britain were established by 1886, and electric street lighting in 1898.
In August 1896, Charles Joseph George and G.W. Neville,both merchants and both unofficial members of the Legislative Council, presented a petition urging construction of the railway terminus on Lagos Island rather than at Ido, and also asking for the railway to be extended to Abeokuta. Lagos history is rich in Yoruba tradition,trade and commerce, infrastructural development and cosmopolitanism." -EXTRACTED

With the little facts above, I would like to educate some illiterates making stupid assumption from blind sentiments that they developed Lagos.

Lagosians had telephone presence in 1886, Itu and Calabar got connected to Telephone in 1923, while between 1946 and 1952, a three-channel line carrier system was commissioned between Lagos and Ibadan and was later extended to Osogbo, Kaduna, Kano, Benin, and Enugu.

Communication technology is a major signifier of civilizations and if Lagosians were already making telephone calls more than 70 years before Igbo citizens, where then did you get the warped idea that you came to develop Lagos?

By 1856 Cable and Wireless Company of the UK had commissioned a submarine cable link between Lagos and London and in 1851 a post office was established in Lagos; all these before the emergence of Nigeria as an amalgamated country. If I may ask again, where did the stupid idea that Igbo developed Lagos come from? Or that Lagos was developed with Nigeria's money when Lagos was not even part of Nigeria until 1914.

I always feel embarrassed anytime I read and hear even so-called educated people from the East making these stupid assertions.

Again the first Yoruba medical practitioner, Dr. Nathaniel King, graduated in 1875 from the University of Edinburgh whilst the first Igbo medical practitioner, Dr. Akannu Ibiam, graduated from another Scottish University in 1935. Again I ask, where did the ignorant hypothesis of the backward Yoruba race who needed development by the superior Igbo race come from?

For the sake of our generation and posterity, we need to teach factual history and not just cook up some cock and bull ego-centric concoctions as facts. The attitude of recycling long tales steeped in empty arrogance should be discarded before you miseducate your kids with fictions.

Awolowo will continue to be the Yoruba hero not because of blind followership but because he gave his people the system of free education, free healthcare and he introduced Television to the Yoruba; making Yorubaland the first region to have a TV station in Africa, all done with revenues from Cocoa. It is crass ignorance and naked buffonery to claim Lagos was built with Nigeria's money. In addition, where did the foolish idea that the Igbo brought civilization to Lagos and Yoruba-land come from?

The aim of this post is not to deride any tribe but to correct the dangerous misinformation trending among some Igbo youths and common in their narratives that Lagos is a no-man's land and that their fathers built and developed Lagos.

Ancestors of Igbo people came to Yoruba-land like all other settlers and we appreciate their contributions. But the stupid claim that Igbo built and developed Lagos is a gross display of stupidity because Lagos was already developed before Igbo ancestors came here from their villages and towns.

The first storey building in Nigeria was built in Marina, Badagry in 1845, long before some of hinterland people gave up the idea of conical mud houses with thatched roofs which some boastfully called 'ancient mansions.' How can you now claim your grand-sires developed Lagos? Please if you are one of those spreading the fiction, I expect you to desist from self-delusion and collective amnesia forthwith.

The first Igbo alphabet-character set and Igbo primer (Isoama-Ibo) was published by Bishop Samuel Ajayi Crowther (a Yoruba man from Osogun) in 1857. How can you now claim superiority over the Yoruba race and even carelessly affirm that your forebears should be thanked for bringing enlightenment to Yoruba Land?

While I do not see all these achievements as a sign of Yoruba superiority over the Igbo or any other tribe, for I do not believe in racial superiority; I will not also tolerate any attempt by bigots who stoke ethnic hatred through incitement and arrogant claims of superiority over others.

Gbam! Lagos 101
���

Copy and paste.
What a waste of time and internet data!
You have not done any research and you have not given us any historical information about Lagos. My friend if you want to talk about the history of Lagos, please start from the story of the Benin claim under Oba Orhogbua in the 16th century when Lagos was regarded as a war camp by the Binis. Tell us how the throne of Lagos came about and how the Lagos chiefs came to dress like the Binis. Tell us about the Aworis and their role. An educated person seeks proper information and feeds people with proper information.
Tell people about the diplomatic and economic relationship between the then people of Lagos after the 16th century and other city states that became Nigeria.
Until you have done that please I advice you do not venture into things you no nothing about.
You can visit the palace of the Oba of Lagos and get first hand information. You may also ask any good history teacher who knows the history of Lagos. That is if you care. If you cannot find any please feel free to call me and I will narrate the history of Lagos to you.

Lastly I advice us all to be very careful about one fire called tribalism that is threatening to destroy this country. You can all see why the issue of restructuring must be addressed frontally. If we cannot continue as a nation, then we must part on peaceful grounds. The politicians everyday use the youths as veritable tools for crisis and destabilisation, yet they call the same youths lazy. It is the youths who will go to war. In the unlikely event of war the politicians already have passports, visas and cash. They will run away. We need to treat ourselves with utmost respect irrespective of tribe or religion.

1 Like

Re: Lagos My State; Who Owns Lagos? History 101:point Of Information by mekaboy(m): 1:54pm On Mar 03, 2019
With all these, Adenuga, otedola etc all became rich through Niger delta oil. They did not make money from cocoa. So how come it was Niger delta oil that made the yoruba billionaires and not Lagos?

1 Like

Re: Lagos My State; Who Owns Lagos? History 101:point Of Information by mekaboy(m): 1:55pm On Mar 03, 2019
Omololu001:
All this Yoruba's are just wasting their time with all this stupid talks.

The yeebos understand one thing, which is brutal force.
I can't wait for the day this battle will happen, I will gladly participate in killing yeebos in ikorodu grin

You can start it today if you are not a coward.

4 Likes

Re: Lagos My State; Who Owns Lagos? History 101:point Of Information by aljharem(m): 1:55pm On Mar 03, 2019
Omololu001:

I can't wait for the day this battle will happen, I will gladly participate in killing yeebos in ikorodu grin

God bless you my brother. This is why I am no longer commenting. Waiting patiently till Saturday

1 Like

Re: Lagos My State; Who Owns Lagos? History 101:point Of Information by aljharem(m): 1:56pm On Mar 03, 2019
mekaboy:

You can start it today if you are not a coward.

I will also be a coward on saturday. Please come and vote for your Igbo brother tongue

1 Like

Re: Lagos My State; Who Owns Lagos? History 101:point Of Information by mekaboy(m): 2:11pm On Mar 03, 2019
Omololu001:
what or who is stopping you from starting it? I pity the Yoruba's in the South east and I will advise them to leave the useless region.

When this start, we're gonna be ruthless and show no mercy, I hope it will be so in all the South western state.
We have millions of yeebos in the south west... Their bloods must flow

The fulani dragged olu falae on the ground and he paid ransom to save his life, what did u do?

Use the same cocoa money u claim u used to develop Lagos to develop other yoruba states. Or did your cocoa money finish in Lagos.

1 Like

Re: Lagos My State; Who Owns Lagos? History 101:point Of Information by Volksfuhrer(m): 2:37pm On Mar 03, 2019
successmatters:

The money flowing from Niger Delta was used to build infrastructure and ports in Lagos ...

Benin colonized Lagos, just as the British; but Lagos was not bereft of its indigenous population when these colonizers got here! Neither Benin nor the British founded Lagos!

Yea, "... colonial powers built Lagos as administrative crown colony;" ditto Calabar...yet Calabar isn't no man's land!

Yea, "...money flowing from Niger Delta was used to build infrastructure and ports in Lagos;" same money was also used to build infrastructure and ports in other cities and states...yet these cities and states ain't no man's land!

Lobatan!

3 Likes

Re: Lagos My State; Who Owns Lagos? History 101:point Of Information by Omololu001: 2:47pm On Mar 03, 2019
mekaboy:

The fulani dragged olu falae on the ground and he paid ransom to save his life, what did u do?

Use the same cocoa money u claim u used to develop Lagos to develop other yoruba states. Or did your cocoa money finish in Lagos.
Nnamdi KANU was locked in jail, yeebos were dealt with by the Nigerian army, what did you do?

Fulani herdsmen have killed yeebos in enugu and ebonyi, what did you do!

1 Like

Re: Lagos My State; Who Owns Lagos? History 101:point Of Information by GeeOh(f): 2:55pm On Mar 03, 2019
I won't blame the Ibo's for laying claims to Lagos,but I blame the omo onile for selling plots of land to them. Even the core Yoruba's know that Lagos belongs to the Aworis and egun.i will advice u as an igbo person not to try all this claims in the domain of the egun pple let it just end on social media,a word is Enuf for d wise
Re: Lagos My State; Who Owns Lagos? History 101:point Of Information by mekaboy(m): 2:58pm On Mar 03, 2019
GeeOh:
I won't blame the Ibo's for laying claims to Lagos,but I blame the omo onile for selling plots of land to them. Even the core Yoruba's know that Lagos belongs to the Aworis and egun.i will advice u as an igbo person not to try all this claims in the domain of the egun pple let it just end on social media,a word is Enuf for d wise

You want hunger finish them, will dey eat the land?

1 Like

Re: Lagos My State; Who Owns Lagos? History 101:point Of Information by Amberon11: 3:09pm On Mar 03, 2019
Do you know that Britain colonised America? Today are they mates in any reasonable indices? Stop crying here. Facts and documents show that Niger Delta money has always been used to develop other parts of Nigeria including Lagos.
naijaguy1234:

The first Yoruba medical practitioner, Dr. Nathaniel King, graduated in 1875 from the University of Edinburgh whilst the first Igbo medical practitioner, Dr. Akannu Ibiam, graduated from another Scottish University in 1935.
Awolowo will continue to be the Yoruba hero not because of blind followership but because he gave his people the system of free education, free healthcare and he introduced Television to the Yoruba; making Yorubaland the first region to have a TV station in Africa, all done with revenues from Cocoa. It is crass ignorance and Unclad buffonery to claim Lagos was built with Nigeria's money. In addition, where did the foolish idea that the Igbo brought civilization to Lagos and Yoruba-land come from?
Re: Lagos My State; Who Owns Lagos? History 101:point Of Information by Amberon11: 3:12pm On Mar 03, 2019
Myndd44 Lalasticlala can you ban this idiot for life.
Omololu001:

Re: Lagos My State; Who Owns Lagos? History 101:point Of Information by Amberon11: 3:16pm On Mar 03, 2019
Seun congrats for having the most hateful and divisive forum on the planet. Myndd44 Lalasticlala can you ban this mad man now?
Omololu001:
what or who is stopping you from starting it? I pity the Yoruba's in the South east and I will advise them to leave the useless region.

When this start, we're gonna be ruthless and show no mercy, I hope it will be so in all the South western state.
We have millions of yeebos in the south west... Their bloods must flow
Re: Lagos My State; Who Owns Lagos? History 101:point Of Information by Amberon11: 3:18pm On Mar 03, 2019
Fulanis didn't kill yorubas in ekiti and the rest of SW? Lmao
Omololu001:
Nnamdi KANU was locked in jail, yeebos were dealt with by the Nigerian army, what did you do?

Fulani herdsmen have killed yeebos in enugu and ebonyi, what did you do!
Re: Lagos My State; Who Owns Lagos? History 101:point Of Information by ticon4life(m): 3:47pm On Mar 03, 2019
Kk
Re: Lagos My State; Who Owns Lagos? History 101:point Of Information by BlackfireX: 4:08pm On Mar 03, 2019
naijaguy1234:

When you call somebody omo ale what does it mean?
But before you answer is your mother the second wife in your supposed father's house?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Imo Student Kills Female Classmate For Rejecting Advances / How Fulani Converted Ruga Settlements In My Community Into An Emirate – Ex-obas / MURIC Urges Buhari To Ban Bbnaija, Describes It As Satanic

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.