Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,833 members, 7,820,915 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:35 AM

The Fate Of Public Transportation In Nigeria - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / The Fate Of Public Transportation In Nigeria (13036 Views)

Ogun State To Provide Electric Okada For Public Transportation. / Luxembourg Makes Public Transportation Free, Becomes First Country (Pics) / Luxembourg Becomes The First Country To Make All Public Transportation Free (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Fate Of Public Transportation In Nigeria by Nobody: 3:44pm On Mar 03, 2019
So, it's obvious that virtually everything in Nigeria is left in the hands of private individuals. I understand the fact that private individuals can run business better because most public/govt project is always marred by many things since they don't spend forever there buh limited time and their successor might end up cancelling previous projects and all.

Public transportation literally doesn't exist in Nigeria and the ones that tend to be trying are not well organised. In this case please know that thisthread is only concerned with road transport

I'm from SW and i'm only used to SW so i'd be using states from SW for examples.

Below is a picture of inside one of the Ajumose Bus (Oyo state public transport system) and i don't even know if it extends to other cities and town in Oyo buh it's a thing in Ib city...

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Fate Of Public Transportation In Nigeria by Nobody: 3:45pm On Mar 03, 2019
This public bus are in every way secure and more convinient than all the private owned taxis and buses. You can never be scared of driver kidnapping you for rituals or any other evil reason, the sitting is more convinient than inside buses and this buses are more safer accident wise. The drivers and supervisors are registered, well cautioned and can loose their job if they work with recklessness.

Buh in the other hand, not well organised. There are no major park for the buses in Ib like it is in Lagos, they don't have personal route, and they use ticketers who actually still also behave like agberos at the end, they shout and call people like the agberos. Though this ticketers are not govt staffs buh stakeholders. And also, the bus is free for every school student, so many times these ticketers always want to over sell and they sometimes sell more than sits available, those extras will stand, though the bus has standing space buh once a while many of them sell more than the standing space too. And then there is no limitation to the amount of school student that can rush in though not untill when the entire seats are all occupied. They are only allowed to take the standing positions buh they mostly overcrowd.

Below is a picture of some people trying to use the bus and are on queue prolly buying tickets.

4 Likes

Re: The Fate Of Public Transportation In Nigeria by Nobody: 3:48pm On Mar 03, 2019
Peterfixed14:
VIP Games Available Today
you for kuku no wait make i create the thread now. Mumu oshi.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Fate Of Public Transportation In Nigeria by Nobody: 4:06pm On Mar 03, 2019
Buh all in all, despite all the situations and all, there are lots of things you can be sure of which are. You don't have to be scared of the unknown like maybe you've entered a one chance bus or a kidnappers bus. The bus will never overspeed, the inside is condusive and when sitting down, you are sitting in comfort.

Just imagine every states and cities in Nigeria operating a public bus. There will be decrease in alot of evil activities and i believe lives of citizens will be protected to some extent transportation wise.

I hope and pray we get there..

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Fate Of Public Transportation In Nigeria by Nobody: 4:11pm On Mar 03, 2019
Uncle seun, lalasticlala mynd44 come and carry this thing to frontpage i take God beg you. Many of our government officials might eventually see this and give it a try in their state.

And lest i forget, even though the Ajumose Bus is govt own, the govt don't control the tickets. The tickest are controlled by private investors, employ ticketers that sell for them usin any car giving or registered to them for a particular day. So it's a good idea. The govt is making money, protecting lives and developing state and also private individuals are making money creating employment also.

I hope other state emulate.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Fate Of Public Transportation In Nigeria by queengift(f): 5:35pm On Mar 03, 2019
The problem with Nigeria is maintenance culture, don't be surprised that few years time you might not see those buses again, once a new government takes over in Nigeria, instead of maintaining old projects and adding more value to their states, they prefer to abandon the existing one and start something new.
I pray Oyo government will maintain this, it is a good one

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Fate Of Public Transportation In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:20pm On Mar 03, 2019
queengift:
The problem with Nigeria is maintenance culture, don't be surprised that few years time you might not see those buses again, once a new government takes over in Nigeria, instead of maintaining old projects and adding more value to their states, they prefer to abandon the existing one and start something new.
I pray Oyo government will maintain this, it is a good one
you are absolutely right. Buh maybe if they can transfer ownership to private companies and not allowing competition at the long run might help. Just like Nitel and Nigeria air was planned to run. It will be run by stakeholders.

Like the Ajumose bus, the stakeholders run about 60% of it while the government handle the rest. And i believe they can transfer everything to stakeholders while govt regulates and monitor.

The problem is govt being serious about it and starting it. If they are truely serious, they can make things happen believe me.

1 Like

Re: The Fate Of Public Transportation In Nigeria by Kendumazy(m): 7:51pm On Mar 03, 2019
Brt in Lagos is now a mess. No difference from Brt and molue anymore.

Got a Samsung s6 edge plus screen available for. Need it? Call/whatsapp 09090287555

1 Like

Re: The Fate Of Public Transportation In Nigeria by davibid: 7:51pm On Mar 03, 2019
F
Re: The Fate Of Public Transportation In Nigeria by obembet(f): 7:54pm On Mar 03, 2019
IntrovertedK:

Shot am

3 Likes

Re: The Fate Of Public Transportation In Nigeria by AfonjaConehead: 7:54pm On Mar 03, 2019
IntrovertedK:
Uncle seun, lalasticlala mynd44 come and carry this thing to frontpage i take God beg you. Many of our government officials might eventually see this and give it a try in their state.

And lest i forget, even though the Ajumose Bus is govt own, the govt don't control the tickets. The tickest are controlled by private investors, employ ticketers that sell for them usin any car giving or registered to them for a particular day. So it's a good idea. The govt is making money, protecting lives and developing state and also private individuals are making money creating employment also.

Please can one invest in ticket sales?
Re: The Fate Of Public Transportation In Nigeria by Pavore9: 7:58pm On Mar 03, 2019
Always has been mismanaged.
Re: The Fate Of Public Transportation In Nigeria by Enigmaticprof(m): 8:01pm On Mar 03, 2019
IntrovertedK:

You failed to mention the poor maintenance policy of the buses, I'm a witness to one being parked for weeks on a road after developing a fault. Don't be surprised after the tenure of ajimobi, this buses would surely disappear one after the other due to non maintenance culture.
Re: The Fate Of Public Transportation In Nigeria by sundayerhun(m): 8:04pm On Mar 03, 2019
Edo State has public transportation system with a network of intra-city buses for Benin City, Ekpoma and Auchi.

The buses are commonly called Comrade Bus. In Benin, it runs virtually every route in the city. Passengers are expected to have their Bus Card which they can recharge anytime.

The new buses are very neat and comfortable. The old ones are a bit scrappy though.

Presently, the government is building an ultramodern park for the buses at the City Centre.

A lot of people rely on these buses for commuting daily.

5 Likes

Re: The Fate Of Public Transportation In Nigeria by greenprince(m): 8:08pm On Mar 03, 2019
IntrovertedK:
you are absolutely right. Buh maybe if they can transfer ownership to private companies and not allowing competition at the long run might help. Just like Nitel and Nigeria air was planned to run. It will be run by stakeholders.

Like the Ajumose bus, the stakeholders run about 60% of it while the government handle the rest. And i believe they can transfer everything to stakeholders while govt regulates and monitor.

The problem is govt being serious about it and starting it. If they are truely serious, they can make things happen believe me.

Bro, in every country in the world I've been to, a privatecompany runs things. Governments have no time employing drivers, accountants, mechanics or all that trash. They tar the roads or fix rails, maybe buy the buses, hand over to a private company, sign an agreement, monitor and decide where prices will be pegged and how much revenue is expected.
Some even let market factors determine pricing if more than one company is involved. Nigeria just makes the simplest things look hard.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Fate Of Public Transportation In Nigeria by emeijeh(m): 8:09pm On Mar 03, 2019
IntrovertedK:
No mind the idiot.
They have taken over nairaland like zombies in movies
Re: The Fate Of Public Transportation In Nigeria by emeijeh(m): 8:11pm On Mar 03, 2019
judegive12:
See below

See below kee u there

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Fate Of Public Transportation In Nigeria by adekalumichael: 8:12pm On Mar 03, 2019
Commendable but we deserve more than this.
Re: The Fate Of Public Transportation In Nigeria by opalu: 8:12pm On Mar 03, 2019
Ok
Re: The Fate Of Public Transportation In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:13pm On Mar 03, 2019
Hmm
Re: The Fate Of Public Transportation In Nigeria by LazyGold(m): 8:13pm On Mar 03, 2019
Good
Re: The Fate Of Public Transportation In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:15pm On Mar 03, 2019
AfonjaConehead:

Please can one invest in ticket sales?
yes you can. You'd have to visit their head office around nihort at Eleyele.
Re: The Fate Of Public Transportation In Nigeria by Olodo24: 8:16pm On Mar 03, 2019
The luxurious busee running along Aba road in PH are becoming same price with the private buses
Re: The Fate Of Public Transportation In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:22pm On Mar 03, 2019
greenprince:

Bro, in every country in the world I've been to, a privatecompany runs things. Governments have no time employing drivers, accountants, mechanics or all that trash. They tar the roads or fix rails, maybe buy the buses, hand over to a private company, sign an agreement, monitor and decide where prices will be pegged and how much revenue is expected.
Some even let market factors determine pricing if more than one company is involved. Nigeria just makes the simplest things look hard.
you are right though, it's better off with a private individual buh don't forget BRT. It's all determination and there are provinces in Canda that run public transport maybe they only oversee, regulate and all i don't know buh it is believe to be own by provincial govt. Haven't been to Canada though buh you know we are all canadian as a Nigerian, if you know.

And yes, just like Oyo state is running hers presently, they can transfer the ownership totally to a private company and they would just monitor. Presently, the parastatal in charge of the bus prints the tickets while private individuals purchase the ticket and handle the sales, they appoint buses for each ticketter every day, different bus and different driver, supervisors. So it will be easy to transfer it all to a private company buh the state purchasing buses and making way for it is the major thing.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Lagos City Marathon 2018: LASTMA Announces Traffic Diversion / LASTMA To Track Traffic Violators With Mobile Device / NNPC Says Airlines Can’t Pay For Aviation Fuel

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.