Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,745 members, 7,824,145 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:33 AM

Panic In Bi-courtney Over Planned Takeover Of MMA2 On May 7 - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Panic In Bi-courtney Over Planned Takeover Of MMA2 On May 7 (29729 Views)

Nigeria May Experience Blackout As Bandits Threaten Takeover Of Shiroro Station / Panic In Otuabula 2, Bayelsa As Crude Oil Mysteriously Erupts From The Ground / Tinubu Unhappy Over Governors Takeover Of APC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Panic In Bi-courtney Over Planned Takeover Of MMA2 On May 7 by grandstar(m): 11:44pm On Mar 03, 2019
dulux07:
Some of you should learn to read, so you don't sound dumbb with your comments, there was an agreement 12years ago, it has nothing to do with politics nor present administration. angry

I think government should extend it. 12 years is too short and Bi Courtney has managed the airport well (At least too me). Normally, such agreements ate 20years or more. I'm shocked it's just for 12 years.

1 Like

Re: Panic In Bi-courtney Over Planned Takeover Of MMA2 On May 7 by grandstar(m): 11:50pm On Mar 03, 2019
enm:

But if the agreement really stipulate 12 years, i think that's a bad investment decision for bi- Courtney because i don't see them earning their money back with profit. Well an agreement is agreement but to not discourage people from investing in the country the federal government should come out in the open about this with document backing them.

I remember in the past how babalakin was running up and down for fund to execute the lagos ibadan express road and how he investors even banks were asking for government guarantee to secure their fund in the project incase of change in government or over night overturn of government policy and also obasanjo statement when ask why he refuses to provide guarantee.

So the government need to play safe here as investors are watching

It would be financially suicidal for any Nigerian bank to fund it with lending rates in double digits. Such a project can only thrive with single digits lending rates.
Re: Panic In Bi-courtney Over Planned Takeover Of MMA2 On May 7 by yinka10: 11:57pm On Mar 03, 2019
grandstar:

I think government should extend it. 12 years is too short and Bi Courtney has managed the airport well (At least too me). Normally, such agreements ate 20years or more. I'm shocked it's just for 12 years.

Are you saying if you have an agreement with developer to develop your house , you will extend the year when the year is over or due, remember we want good road, rail lines ,electricity, water etc, funds have to be generated somehow to fianace all these
Re: Panic In Bi-courtney Over Planned Takeover Of MMA2 On May 7 by grandstar(m): 12:08am On Mar 04, 2019
yinka10:

Are you saying if you have an agreement with developer to develop your house , you will extend the year when the year is over or due, remember we want good road, rail lines ,electricity, water etc, funds have to be generated somehow to fianace all these

12 years is too short and that's why I feel an extension won't be bad. It will paint PMB as pro-business at a time the country desperately needs infrastructure financing.

By taking over the airport, it may make potential investors jittery as it may paint the government as either inexperienced with PPP or completely insensitive to investors plight. Please

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Panic In Bi-courtney Over Planned Takeover Of MMA2 On May 7 by yinka10: 12:31am On Mar 04, 2019
Re: Panic In Bi-courtney Over Planned Takeover Of MMA2 On May 7 by Shaprara: 12:31am On Mar 04, 2019
yinka10:
Tussle between the management of Bi-Courtney Aviation Services Limited (BASL), operators of the Murtala Muhammed Airport Two (MMA2), Lagos and the Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria (FAAN) may resume soon with the planned takeover of the terminal by FAAN.

A source close to the Ministry of Transport, Aviation Unit, told SaharaReporters over the weekend that the ministry had given the management of FAAN the approval to take over the terminal on the expiration of the 12 years consensual agreement between BASL and the agency.

It was learnt that the 12 years would elapse on May 7, 2019, which was the exact date the terminal commenced operations with flight service by the rested Chanchangi Airlines from the terminal.

Our correspondent gathered that the planned takeover of the terminal is also causing some instability among the staff of BASL, who are already looking elsewhere for alternative jobs in case the threat by the government comes to fruition.

It was, however, learnt that Wale Babalakin, the Chairman of BASL, is also making frantic efforts through some of his contacts in the presidency to frustrate the takeover of the terminal on the due date, claiming that the concession agreement between the two was for 36 years, but FAAN is adamant to take possession of the terminal as spelt out in the agreement by May 7.

Our correspondent learnt that while Femi Fani-Kayode, the former Minister of Aviation, proposed a 36-year tenure to former President Olusegun Obasanjo, the latter refused to approve it and referred Fani-Kayode to the Bureau for Public Enterprises (BPE) through his comment on the proposal.

It was gathered that the only document that mentioned 36 years was a ‘Letter of Offer’ signed by a director in FAAN, when Fani-Kayode was still a minister in the sector, but was turned down by Obasanjo

Sources:
http://saharareporters.com/2019/03/03/panic-bi-courtney-over-planned-takeover-mma2-may-7

Government shouldn’t be in control at all.

1 Like

Re: Panic In Bi-courtney Over Planned Takeover Of MMA2 On May 7 by yinka10: 12:34am On Mar 04, 2019
grandstar:

12 years is too short and that's why I feel an extension won't be bad. It will paint PMB as pro-business at a time the country desperately needs infrastructure financing.

By taking over the airport, it may make potential investors jittery as it may paint the government as either inexperienced with PPP or completely insensitive to investors plight. Please

You have a point in term of investors, but agreements is agreement, good investor should have understand at first that 12year is short and that the term of contract is not favorable so they don't agree on it or the investor renegotiate the contract and find a mid ground not wait until last min
God bless Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Panic In Bi-courtney Over Planned Takeover Of MMA2 On May 7 by DeLaRue: 12:40am On Mar 04, 2019
smeag0l:
Concession will be given back to FAAN, sir. This will help employ more Nigerians as a lot of Nigerians lost their jobs when Atiku sold it to Babalakin-his ally

Those working there now are not Nigerians?

A typical Nigerian with access to lot of money is a financial danger unto himself.

You give him a 20 page agreement...he barks, what's this?? You expect me to read all this? Yet, this is a contract involving a huge amount of money. In the end, he reads through with a condescending frown, paying scant attention to the terms. He grabs his pen and signs. No comments. No questions.

Most just want to sign believing they'll sort any issues out in the future.

And then they soon realise the future is not far at all.

I came across one guy recently that is facing about N400m hit on a contract that is so bad I doubt he read it before signing it. Faced with the new reality, he told me '...and I trusted that woman so much, little did I know she was a devil. I will show her.'

Unfortunately he can't show her jack. There's no easy way out for him. The woman will be N400m richer soon. The only alternative is a lengthy court battle that'll cost him more than the N400m.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Panic In Bi-courtney Over Planned Takeover Of MMA2 On May 7 by Nobody: 12:46am On Mar 04, 2019
chudez0147:
Some of you guys causing trouble online are not even Nigerian ..Some might not be Nigerian, or other tribe entirely... You guys are agents of Darkness/Anti-Christ/Trouble Makers..
You guys just love Blood.. You just love seeing innocent people Cry/Die..
Weting una dey even gain? Please! I know we still have some good people out there.. We can live together in peace.. Let's not let these evil people cause trouble for us.
Am an Igbo guy, I was born and raised in Lagos before I left Nigeria.. the Yorubas are wonderful people...
Please! Let's Understand our differences and live together.....Thank You!!
your comment!

Re: Panic In Bi-courtney Over Planned Takeover Of MMA2 On May 7 by goslowgoslow(m): 12:54am On Mar 04, 2019
Chidonsky:
Highly irresponsible government.
Which government?
Re: Panic In Bi-courtney Over Planned Takeover Of MMA2 On May 7 by enm(m): 1:35am On Mar 04, 2019
grandstar:

It would be financially suicidal for any Nigerian bank to fund it with lending rates in double digits. Such a project can only thrive with single digits lending rates.

Yes one of the factor by the bank that's why they too join in asking for federal government guarantee and obasanjo was not ready to, according him though a public infrastructure the project is a private venture and as such government has no business in it as they the operator will operate it for sometime before handing it over to government after they might have recoup their investment. ( note: the statement of obasanjo above is my own version of his ).

In fact this news was allover at that time.
Re: Panic In Bi-courtney Over Planned Takeover Of MMA2 On May 7 by enm(m): 1:42am On Mar 04, 2019
DeLaRue:

Those working there now are not Nigerians?

A typical Nigerian with access to lot of money is a financial danger unto himself.

You give him a 20 page agreement...he barks, what's this?? You expect me to read all this? Yet, this is a contract involving a huge amount of money. In the end, he reads through with a condescending frown, paying scant attention to the terms. He grabs his pen and signs. No comments. No questions.

Most just want to sign believing they'll sort any issues out in the future.

And then they soon realise the future is not far at all.

I came across one guy recently that is facing about N400m hit on a contract that is so bad I doubt he read it before signing it. Faced with the new reality, he told me '...and I trusted that woman so much, little did I know she was a devil. I will show her.'

Unfortunately he can't show her jack. There's no easy way out for him. The woman will be N400m richer soon. The only alternative is a lengthy court battle that'll cost him more than the N400m.

Well this is big lesson to all.

1 Like

Re: Panic In Bi-courtney Over Planned Takeover Of MMA2 On May 7 by Daboomb: 2:03am On Mar 04, 2019
Hotfreezer:
Fani Kayode was the Minster of aviation under OBJ when this contract was signed. Under Obasanjo and Atiku as vice, those thieves sold everything to themselves and their cronies.

This Wale Babalakin's father was a friend to OBJ. That's how he got this MM2 concession and Lagos Ibadan expressway concession. He did nothing on that road till it was taken away from him and fixing started late during GEJ's tenure.

The airport should be taken from Bi-Courtney and any staff found there should be flogged koboko. Unemployed Nigerians would be employed to take their places.

These are the reasons Obasanjo, Fani Kayode and Co didn't want Buhari back and I'm happy my Sai Baba is back to deal with all these idiots.

The Intels contract would not be renewed and Atiku can now face his polytechnic businesses in Adamawa squarely. The oil licenses of these Generals won't be renewed but would be given to the good people of the ND. Let them cry blood.

Knowing all these, Igbos still went about voting for THIEVES?
It appears criminals and Igbos are like 5 & 6.

BTW: The only places you will hear that name BABALAKIN, is where public property is being looted.
Same goes with the Federal Secretariat in Ikoyi,

1 Like

Re: Panic In Bi-courtney Over Planned Takeover Of MMA2 On May 7 by Daboomb: 2:11am On Mar 04, 2019
yinka10:

Thank you for asking him this simple question, which encapsulates what is going on...but he did not answer it because he knows it is the "end of matter".

Babalakin was not forced to sign the agreement.
He underpaid for the concession, after the usual bribery to Atiku, just like all the concessions we have in this country
he has raked in money for the past twelve years and the agreement is going to lapse in May.
All these crap about "Buhari sensitivity, scare investors, 12 years is too short, bla, bla, bla is just hogwash and scare tactics.
I suspect the baggar has an interest in BML and that is why he is sounding like they taken away his plate of food.

1 Like

Re: Panic In Bi-courtney Over Planned Takeover Of MMA2 On May 7 by Nobody: 2:12am On Mar 04, 2019
of course,, everything is propaganda. These people are worse than our fore-fathers that sold antiques.
Re: Panic In Bi-courtney Over Planned Takeover Of MMA2 On May 7 by Daboomb: 2:14am On Mar 04, 2019
Hotfreezer:

Babalakin would end up in jail if not careful. He was once tried by the Efcc. Also involved in money laundering for Ibori.

That family name Babalakin, just like the Sarakis, is synonymous with all forms of criminality and embezzlement of public assets
About time the search light is properly beamed on their transactions, phone records, tax compliance, e.t.c
I can smell that name in jail very soon

2 Likes

Re: Panic In Bi-courtney Over Planned Takeover Of MMA2 On May 7 by BOOZELEE: 2:30am On Mar 04, 2019
Yemi7up:
God bless you. We should respect each other and allow the Yoruba's decide who leads them.
That guy is Yoruba
Re: Panic In Bi-courtney Over Planned Takeover Of MMA2 On May 7 by Hotfreezer: 3:34am On Mar 04, 2019
Daboomb:

Knowing all these, Igbos still went about voting for THIEVES?
It appears criminals and Igbos are like 5 & 6.

BTW: The only places you will hear that name BABALAKIN, is where public property is being looted.
Same goes with the Federal Secretariat in Ikoyi,

So, those idiots bought Ikoyi Secretariat?

Babalakin is an errand boy for thieves.
Re: Panic In Bi-courtney Over Planned Takeover Of MMA2 On May 7 by emeksdonalds(m): 5:54am On Mar 04, 2019
Note that the airport in question is the very best airport in Nigeria, it’s services is even better than that of the international terminal.. If FAAN takes over that terminal, trust me, you would see it in a sorry state...The federal govt thru FAAN does not manage airports well... Bi Courtney have done a great job far in making the terminal look good for pax
Hotfreezer:
Fani Kayode was the Minster of aviation under OBJ when this contract was signed. Under Obasanjo and Atiku as vice, those thieves sold everything to themselves and their cronies.

This Wale Babalakin's father was a friend to OBJ. That's how he got this MM2 concession and Lagos Ibadan expressway concession. He did nothing on that road till it was taken away from him and fixing started late during GEJ's tenure.

The airport should be taken from Bi-Courtney and any staff found there should be flogged koboko. Unemployed Nigerians would be employed to take their places.

These are the reasons Obasanjo, Fani Kayode and Co didn't want Buhari back and I'm happy my Sai Baba is back to deal with all these idiots.

The Intels contract would not be renewed and Atiku can now face his polytechnic businesses in Adamawa squarely. The oil licenses of these Generals won't be renewed but would be given to the good people of the ND. Let them cry blood.

3 Likes

Re: Panic In Bi-courtney Over Planned Takeover Of MMA2 On May 7 by felifeli: 6:14am On Mar 04, 2019
Hotfreezer:

I am sure you have never even stepped inside airport before. Bad belle Poverty United FC fans.

2 Likes

Re: Panic In Bi-courtney Over Planned Takeover Of MMA2 On May 7 by Kamso2015(m): 6:31am On Mar 04, 2019
Who are the rightful people to be employed.BASL has been a role model to the aviation sector. What has FAAN done in the past in terms of improving there airports? In terms of employment in FAAN is man no man. How do we encourage privatisation?

2 Likes

Re: Panic In Bi-courtney Over Planned Takeover Of MMA2 On May 7 by Kamso2015(m): 6:35am On Mar 04, 2019
If other privatisation didn't work, Babalakin-MMA2 worked.Do you know that FAAN recruited more than twice in this regime without advert? Don't be decided.

2 Likes

Re: Panic In Bi-courtney Over Planned Takeover Of MMA2 On May 7 by verifiablefacts: 6:41am On Mar 04, 2019
kingkakaone:
FFK on the beat. Let him come and defend himself for the confusion between 12 and 36 years.

and you think FFK will say something sensible?
Re: Panic In Bi-courtney Over Planned Takeover Of MMA2 On May 7 by bendike: 7:22am On Mar 04, 2019
Hotfreezer:

Govment has no business running airports. Do you think that airport would have been built and maintained to such standards over the years if no for the babalakin concession?
The government managed airport do they function well? The dirty toilets, leaking roofs etc.
As per intels, what do you think the will happen when npa takes over intels facilities? Have you been to any npa office to see the rot?
SMH. Let buhari scatter all privatized concessions and place civil servants in charge of them and watch what will happen.
As they say if " if it's is not broken. Do not fix it".
Nigerdock is a good example. Google Nigerdock.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Panic In Bi-courtney Over Planned Takeover Of MMA2 On May 7 by SEGLIZ: 7:53am On Mar 04, 2019
Hotfreezer:

they never new this was what they want to vote for. this was how they got Nigeria working and this was/is how they want to get it working again.
Re: Panic In Bi-courtney Over Planned Takeover Of MMA2 On May 7 by SEGLIZ: 7:55am On Mar 04, 2019
bendike:

Govment has no business running airports. Do you think that airport would have been built and maintained to such standards over the years if no for the babalakin concession?
The government managed airport do they function well? The dirty toilets, leaking roofs etc.
As per intels, what do you think the will happen when npa takes over intels facilities? Have you been to any npa office to see the rot?
SMH. Let buhari scatter all privatized concessions and place civil servants in charge of them and watch what will happen.
As they say if " if it's is not broken. Do not fix it".
Nigerdock is a good example. Google Nigerdock.

our government is still the one maintaining our airports at least of recent we saw news and pics.
Re: Panic In Bi-courtney Over Planned Takeover Of MMA2 On May 7 by bendike: 8:09am On Mar 04, 2019
SEGLIZ:

our government is still the one maintaining our airports at least of recent we saw news and pics.
To acquire new airports financed and built by the Chinese is not the problem.
Maintaining the facilities and providing excellence services is the issue.
Have you traveled through MMIA and seen any improvements?

1 Like

Re: Panic In Bi-courtney Over Planned Takeover Of MMA2 On May 7 by meccuno: 9:05am On Mar 04, 2019
Yemi7up:
God bless you. We should respect each other and allow the Yoruba's decide who leads them. In as much we are one Nigerian, we still have our root and I believe Yoruba's in Igbo land we respect that too
why not advocate a complete dissolution of this country so the Yorubas can have the SW all to them selves......at least there wont be any need for the "Host" to be disrespected.
Re: Panic In Bi-courtney Over Planned Takeover Of MMA2 On May 7 by SEGLIZ: 9:48am On Mar 04, 2019
bendike:

To acquire new airports financed and built by the Chinese is not the problem.
Maintaining the facilities and providing excellence services is the issue.
Have you traveled through MMIA and seen any improvements?

virtually everything sold by government where before being sold. none of them is functioning, look around none, none at all.
Re: Panic In Bi-courtney Over Planned Takeover Of MMA2 On May 7 by Nobody: 9:59am On Mar 04, 2019
don4real18:

Do you deliver to Lagos and how much does it cost?

Yes we deliver to Lagos, the pictures you saw were sent to lagos and is 380 per kg
Re: Panic In Bi-courtney Over Planned Takeover Of MMA2 On May 7 by omohayek: 10:10am On Mar 04, 2019
SEGLIZ:

virtually everything sold by government where before being sold. none of them is functioning, look around none, none at all.
You mean like the telecoms network that allows you to post this in the first place? You clearly have no idea how things were in the NITEL days, when getting a single phone line installed took years and lots of bribery, only to then have to deal with constant service interruptions.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Sidi Ali Mohammed: ‘Boko Haram Fighters Are Usually Paid $3,000 Daily’ / Before You Shred Your Nigerian Passport By Dotun Adekanmbi / Senate Finally Passes VAPP Bill

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.