Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,356 members, 7,836,458 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 08:11 AM

Jonathan In Combat Mood, Takes On ‘mischief-makers’ - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan In Combat Mood, Takes On ‘mischief-makers’ (936 Views)

In Sign Of Major Crack Within Ruling Party, Tinubu Takes On Buhari’s Minister / DSS Say Falae’s Abductors Not Herdsmen, Calls Yoruba Leaders Mischief Makers / Sylva To Oshiomhole, “you Are A Liar And Mischief Maker” (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jonathan In Combat Mood, Takes On ‘mischief-makers’ by PapaBrowne(m): 3:04am On Aug 31, 2010
[size=15pt]Jonathan in combat mood, takes on ‘mischief-makers’[/size]

PRESIDENT Goodluck Ebele Jonathan yesterday went on the offensive against newspapers’ reports and some perceived opponents believed to be working against his political interest.

Although the President is yet to declare his interest in the 2011 presidential race, his bodily language yesterday suggested that he may well be disposed to taking a shot at the Presidency.

Jonathan’s anger may have been provoked by reports in a national newspaper, which he described yesterday as misleading and designed to ridicule him and the office he holds.

The President accused the newspaper as embarking on consistent and persistent campaign of calumny against him.

In a statement yesterday in Abuja, the Special Adviser to the President on Media and Publicity, Ima Niboro, said the medium erred “when it served up a tissue of lies today (yesterday) on his boss recent meeting with former military President, Gen. Ibrahim Babangida.

Niboro added that “this comes after an outrightly false claim served up on Sunday, to the effect that the President complained to some northern groups that visited him that some South-South governors were out to sabotage him. The newspaper refused to correct this false report even after it was firmly reminded that it failed to double-check its information, and that the story is completely untrue.

“Twenty-four hours later, the newspaper is at it again. This time, it is another lie that the President tried to talk Babangida out of his ambition to return to office.

“Anyone who has even a passing acquaintance with the President knows he is not one who dissuades people from pursuing their personal ambitions. This is even more so when there is no purpose to be served by it, since the long-suffering mass of the Nigerian people would decide who governs them in a free and fair contest,” he said.

The President restated his commitment to conducting free and fair elections next year, noting that “since June 12, 1993, Nigerians have in successive elections become wiser. The next presidential elections, no matter who the candidates are, would sound a resonant Never Again! Never again shall the will of the Nigerian people be quashed underfoot by the vaunting ambitions of a few.

“This is what the President has promised Nigerians, and he is fully committed to delivering on this pledge. It is, therefore, unfortunate that any self-respecting newspaper could lend its pages to reporting a series of lies against the person and the institution of the Presidency. These tales are unverified and sourced from openly interested parties. They are lies, pure and simple.”

Niboro added that the fact is Jonathan has been meeting different leaders on various occasions and platforms, with some informing him of their intention to run for the Presidency.

The presidential aide added that he has also met with others as a matter of courtesy being a sitting president, and committed to ensuring that the next presidential election is hitch-free.

According to Niboro, Jonathan has met former Vice President Atiku Abubakar, Babangida,  Gen. Muhammadu Buhari, and they will meet him again soon.

He further said that the President has met with former Head of State, Gen. Yakubu Gowon, two-time president, Chief Olusegun Obasanjo, Second Republic President, Alhaji Shehu Shagari; former Vice President, Alex Ekwueme, and former Head of State, Gen. Abdulsalami Abubakar. He will meet with even more leaders and political actors as the race to 2011 heats up, Niboro declared.

“It is extremely uncharitable for anyone to spin these meetings in such negative light, and attempt to force the President into retreat from these well thought-out engagements with political leaders of all hue and disposition in the interest of the country.

“We think it is time to put an end to this long line of false stories and verify what is served to the general public.”

And as the controversy over the presidential ambition of Jonathan continues, the Chairman of the Senate Committee on Appropriation, Iyiola Omisore, has clarified that last Saturday’s endorsement of the Nigerian leader by the South-West leadership of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) was not against the zoning arrangement of the party.

Omisore, who is a gubernatorial aspirant of the party in Osun State, said despite the endorsement, the eventual party presidential standard-bearer will emerge at the party’s primaries to be conducted at a later date.

He spoke as the guest of the Nigeria Union of Journalists (NUJ), Ibadan, Oyo State.

Also yesterday, Babangida repeated that he would emerge as the president as Nigeria’s President next year “if the election will be conducted in a free and fair atmosphere.”

His National Coordinator for the 2011 election, AbdulYekeem Ibn Umar, said Babangida was not disturbed by the PDP presidential primaries which will hold soon.

Umar spoke with journalists at the Murtala Mohammed Airport II,(MMA2), Lagos. According to him, Babangida has proved to the aspirants to beat in the election following his achievements as military president.

http://thengnews.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=21658:jonathan-in-combat-mood-takes-on-mischief-makers&catid=1:national&Itemid=559

Re: Jonathan In Combat Mood, Takes On ‘mischief-makers’ by koruji(m): 3:28am On Aug 31, 2010
Yep.

Since IBB made the recent N10 million media purchase our news hounds have busied themselves fabricating stuff about GEJ to pay back.

At least President GEJ is finding out who his enemies are hiding behind.

Unfortunately, the remedy really is to force the National Assembly to pass the Freedom of Information (FOI) Act. If reporters are allowed to constantly shadow the president, at their own expense of course, it would be difficult for a paper to place him where he was not. As long as our government refuses to operate in the open, they should expect this kind of rubbish to be visited on them - it is a 2-way street.

How about no more "Newspaper" allowance paid by the government or anybody - then they would have to earn their keep instead of mostly printing rubbish.

The Nation or PUNCH would read "GEJ in Minna to beg IBB" in the morning, while truthful papers would clearly show him "dancing" in Aso Rock at the said time of the non-existent meeting. A couple of those glaring lies people would know how much to pay for these papers.

Quiz: How do you know when a story in a Nigerian Newspaper is really, really true?
Re: Jonathan In Combat Mood, Takes On ‘mischief-makers’ by PapaBrowne(m): 3:32am On Aug 31, 2010
It was about time!! I knew all these crappy reports were false. Was it Punch?? I think it was The Nation Newspapers that carried the false reports.They (Nation Newspaper) are serving Tinubu's plans and Tinubu is supporting Babangida's plans cheesy. The man is shameless. He is always working agaisnt good men like Fashola and Jonathan
Re: Jonathan In Combat Mood, Takes On ‘mischief-makers’ by Eziachi: 3:50am On Aug 31, 2010
This Ima Niboro guy, is he not one of those unseen hands desperate to scuttle Jonathan's way to the throne when YarAdua was playng hide and seek in Saudi Arabia?
And now he speaks for him?
I think Jonathan is another Thomas Aguiyi Ironsi waiting to happen. Only time will tell.
Re: Jonathan In Combat Mood, Takes On ‘mischief-makers’ by EzeUche(m): 4:18am On Aug 31, 2010
Eziachi,

I respect you a lot but never compare Ironsi with Jonathan!
Re: Jonathan In Combat Mood, Takes On ‘mischief-makers’ by koruji(m): 4:27am On Aug 31, 2010
@PapaBrowne
Thanks for the correction - it was The Nation. I thought it to be PUNCH because they have also being printing stories that seem fabricated lately.

May be it is the political silly season - a BHO would put it. Will edit my comments accordingly.

PapaBrowne:

It was about time!! I knew all these crappy reports were false. Was it Punch?? I think it was The Nation Newspapers that carried the false reports.They (Nation Newspaper) are serving Tinubu's plans and Tinubu is supporting Babangida's plans cheesy. The man is shameless. He is always working agaisnt good men like Fashola and Jonathan
Re: Jonathan In Combat Mood, Takes On ‘mischief-makers’ by Eziachi: 5:05am On Aug 31, 2010
EzeUche:

Eziachi,

I respect you a lot but never compare Ironsi with Jonathan!

Sorry my brother, it is just that the same naivity guage Ironsi used in his understanding of Nigeria is also written all over Jonathan's face. Surrounded himself with the usual ogworo chewing murderers, who will be first to put the knife in when the time comes.
How can Jonathan surround himself with the like of Niboro, Abba Aji, Yayale and even Aliyu Gusua is still chief security adviser and at the same time attending all the meetings where how Jonathan can be cut into pieces is the topic of discussions?
Does that make any sense to you?

That was the sort of things IRONSI did with those that turn around and murdered him in cold blood. I am not comparing their personal qualities as Ironsi is miles apart from our baba Suwe look alike, Mr JONATHAN.
Re: Jonathan In Combat Mood, Takes On ‘mischief-makers’ by Nobody: 6:13am On Aug 31, 2010
When it comes to spin, someone should tell Ima Niboro that he is still in juniour class. The President needs world class and 21st century Spin Doctors.

Denying that Jonathan did not try to talk IBB out of running does not explain the President's decision to travel all the way up to Minna to meet IBB nor does it deny the fact that the President met IBB at ll.

Ima Niboro still dey learn spin. Him level never reach at all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ima did not have to respond to thi news. Ever heard of the phrase "if you are in a whole stop digging".
Re: Jonathan In Combat Mood, Takes On ‘mischief-makers’ by PapaBrowne(m): 11:14am On Aug 31, 2010
^^^^^^
I agree with you on the Ima Niboro part. The guy is just not the best Media Assistant. Jonathan needs an attack dog in the mould of Femi Fani Kayode.

Seriously though, there was nothing wrong in the President's decision to travel to Minna. In fact, for those with the ability to read between the lines, the visit only took place because Jonathan has victory in his hands and really wouldn't want to embarass IBB at the polls.
Re: Jonathan In Combat Mood, Takes On ‘mischief-makers’ by Agibecky: 11:25am On Aug 31, 2010
Lest we forget that on September 11, 2006, Mr. Osita Nwajah, the EFCC spokesman made a public declaration that a whopping sum of $13.5 million Dollars (US) was seized from Mrs. Patience Jonathan, the wife of then Governor of Bayelsa State, Mr. Goodluck Jonathan.

“Abia is number one (of corrupt state) not because it is number one alphabetically, but because we have one of the biggest established cases of stealing, money laundering, diversion of fund against Governor Kalu. The governor used his mother, daughter, wife and brother to divert N35billion to build his business empire including Slok Airlines, Slok Pharmaceuticals and newspaper house…Governor Bola Ahmed Tinubu corruption is of international dimension.There is s also a petition against the Governor of Bayelsa’s wife. She was involved in laundering the sum of one hundred and four million into foreign account. She is also being investigated.”
~ Mallam Nuhu Ribadu, during the plenary section of the Senate of the Federal Republic of Nigeria which held on September 27, 2006.

The case is suit number FHC/ABJ/M/340/06 filed on August 21, 2007 at the Federal High Court, Abuja.

FACTS DON'T LIE.
Re: Jonathan In Combat Mood, Takes On ‘mischief-makers’ by Nobody: 5:31pm On Aug 31, 2010
PapaBrowne:

^^^^^^
I agree with you on the Ima Niboro part. The guy is just not the best Media Assistant. Jonathan needs an attack dog in the mould of Femi Fani Kayode.

Seriously though, there was nothing wrong in the President's decision to travel to Minna. In fact, for those with the ability to read between the lines, the visit only took place because Jonathan has victory in his hands and really wouldn't want to embarass IBB at the polls.

Jonathan has victory on his hand? Well may be true if you are suggesting that it is possible that he will write any electoral result for himself no matter what obtains at the polls may be you are right.

But if you are suggesting that the numbers stack up in his favour and he has a clear path to legitimate electoral victory, I will say that is not necessarily the case.
Re: Jonathan In Combat Mood, Takes On ‘mischief-makers’ by Beaf: 6:02pm On Aug 31, 2010
Agibecky:

Lest we forget that on September 11, 2006, Mr. Osita Nwajah, the EFCC spokesman made a public declaration that a whopping sum of $13.5 million Dollars (US) was seized from Mrs. Patience Jonathan, the wife of then Governor of Bayelsa State, Mr. Goodluck Jonathan.

“Abia is number one (of corrupt state) not because it is number one alphabetically, but because we have one of the biggest established cases of stealing, money laundering, diversion of fund against Governor Kalu. The governor used his mother, daughter, wife and brother to divert N35billion to build his business empire including Slok Airlines, Slok Pharmaceuticals and newspaper house…Governor Bola Ahmed Tinubu corruption is of international dimension.There is s also a petition against the Governor of Bayelsa’s wife. She was involved in laundering the sum of one hundred and four million into foreign account. She is also being investigated.”
~ Mallam Nuhu Ribadu, during the plenary section of the Senate of the Federal Republic of Nigeria which held on September 27, 2006.

The case is suit number FHC/ABJ/M/340/06 filed on August 21, 2007 at the Federal High Court, Abuja.

FACTS DON'T LIE.

. . .But you are lying. How much did you pocket to spread this crap? Dude, you are commiting a serious crime!
I bet you have never seen these words;

If she had been found culpable, we are certain that Nuhu Ribadu would have charged her to court because she has no immunity.

We want to state categorically that Mrs. Jonathan has no link whatsoever with the seized N104million and has no knowledge of any $13.5 million dollars. In fact there was never an incident of $13.5million dollars.

We challenge Sahara Reporters to contact Mr. Nuhu Ribadu or Mrs. Farida Waziri to get the facts of the matter.

We state without any iota of equivocation that Mrs. Jonathan has no case against her.  She never had any case to answer. All the controversy was a storm in a tea cup stirred up by political mudslingers in her husband’s home state Bayelsa in the quest for the governorship seat.

Charlie, find out about the words above and meditate.
Next!
Re: Jonathan In Combat Mood, Takes On ‘mischief-makers’ by egift(m): 6:54pm On Aug 31, 2010
Come ooo! Mr Poster you said The President is in a "Combat Mood" and this is all we get? Even storm will come and pass and I will not know. cool

GEJ dey fall my hand! Maybe we are expecting too much. Anyway, he should stop competing with Yar'Adua of blessed memory in Go-Slow.
Re: Jonathan In Combat Mood, Takes On ‘mischief-makers’ by PapaBrowne(m): 5:48am On Sep 01, 2010
mikeansy:

Jonathan has victory on his hand? Well may be true if you are suggesting that it is possible that he will write any electoral result for himself no matter what obtains at the polls may be you are right.

But if you are suggesting that the numbers stack up in his favour [/b]and he has a clear path to legitimate electoral victory, [b]I will say that is not necessarily the case.

So of all the candidates mentioned as potential contestants, can you mention anyone who has the slimmest chance of clinching victory??
I like a whole lot other candidates more than I like Jonathan. Duke is actually my best candidate. El rufai is next on the list. But I've got to be realistic. They are not going to be president in 2011 except something really awkward happens before then.
All the other politicians are not even making an attempt to win the hearts and minds of people. When last was The Donald in the mediaAnd that is one reason I've come to respect IBB. Despite his unpopularity, he is bold enough to atleast try to win people over. However, Karma would never ever allow him(IBB) back into Aso Rock.

(1) (Reply)

The Politics Of Saraki And The Identity Crisis Of Northern Yoruba In Nigeria / Prez Jonathans Group Coordinator Declares For Atiku!: / Governor- Sgf, Fct Minister Are Closet Acn Members!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.