Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,536 members, 7,819,918 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:39 AM

Open Source - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Open Source (778 Views)

My New C# Open Source App Prevents Laptop Background Data Consumption On Windows / [C++ Open Source] Relax! ( File Management Tool) / Creating An Open-source Java Web Service (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Open Source by netghost: 12:06am On Sep 01, 2010
whats up with nigerian developers and the open source world, its like we have personally vowed not to be part of it, or atleast a great number of us,
let come together and share tools and learning materials

what do u all think
Re: Open Source by joefazee(m): 12:04pm On Sep 10, 2010
Nigeria government is a closed source government and i think thats what`s happening in the I.T industry, we get something for free and we want to sell it.  the only reason why nigeria refused to grow is greed. until God change the heart of men, this country shall remain in darkness due to greed and envy.

I have been giving out free programming materials and even at last i don`t have the resource to distribute it anymore. But if you need anything, just let me know
Re: Open Source by Nobody: 12:45pm On Sep 10, 2010
Foreign people who given out open source script, applications and technologies know it will come back to them, I mean the financial end!

Take PHP for example, from a Open Source thing now, they have ways they get their money.

Or maybe also script writers abroad, they get coys that want their hand and are ready to pay and also buy the script they wrote free, with modification and enhancement in security and efficiency!

Now the statement that many of us don't contribute is wrong. One person i know that contributes well and even i have come across his scripts in Foreign sites is DHTML of Nairaland,

Many applications he writes are given out!

The good part is that, some of my pals who know him testifies that he is financially OK, so it is profiting him.

Speaking for myself, contributing free has payed off a lot, Many of my clients come from Nairaland and also other sites!

I give my contribution when they are needed!
Re: Open Source by netghost: 11:53am On Sep 11, 2010
joefazee:

i think thats what`s happening in the I.T industry, we get something for free and we want to sell it.

guess am also guilty of that

i have
PHP stage1 and 2
Python
C 2008#
ASP.net
Ajax/asp.net
Flash Cs3
photoshop CS3
fireworks cs 3
visual studio 2008
vb.net 2005
MSsqlserver 2005
Dreamweaver cs3

a thousaund ebooks

pick one and i will give it to u for free, dont be greedy, u decide how we meet

l
Re: Open Source by lojik(m): 2:06am On Sep 17, 2010
When it comes to open source, u guys need to speak for yourselves alone and stop generalizing.

I have contributed to open source significantly on my site and on some repositories. If u think Nigerians dont do opensource, then u are yet to meet with seasoned Nigerian programmers (Gurus) because i know a couple of coders that do open source from here.

Note: Its not until u develop your own script that u have contributed to open source, you can contribute to another person's script. The version 2 of one of my open source scripts was developed by someone i didn't even know the name of his country and he informed me of the improvement and sent it to me.
Find it here: http://www.lekeojikutu.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=72:jincluder-a-php-file-inclusion-module-for-joomla-cms&catid=38:downloadables&Itemid=83

You can contribute to open-source in so many ways, don't wait till you write one big program and make it free.

(1) (Reply)

Programming / A Newbie That Wants Certification In 4months; "oracle" Or "java" / Download And Upload Your Programmed App Or Modded App

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.