Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,754 members, 7,809,892 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:44 PM

Significance Of Women’s Day – Why Is Women’s Day Relevant? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Significance Of Women’s Day – Why Is Women’s Day Relevant? (4383 Views)

International Women's Day: 10 most influential women in Nigeria 2022 / Wife Ties Up Her Husband In Calabar, Attempts To Suffocate Him On Women’s Day / World Mother Tongue Day! Why Nigerians Are Not Interested (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Significance Of Women’s Day – Why Is Women’s Day Relevant? by ivoryfile: 6:42am On Mar 08, 2019
SIGNIFICANCE OF WOMEN’S DAY

Women’s Day is celebrated throughout the globe on 8th March every year. Celebrating Women’s Day is an opportunity to appreciate the remarkable contribution of women to our society. Read on to find more about the International Women’s Day celebration.

‘Woman‘ – is a word that conjures up a lot of images in our minds and brings out varied emotions as selfless love, nurturing and caring attitude. Who is a woman? The dictionary meaning of a woman is adult female human but this definition cannot do justice to the role of woman. A woman is much more than these words. Read on to find more about the significance of Women’s Day celebration.

Understanding a Woman.

“A woman is a full circle. Within her is the power to create, nurture and transform.” Understanding a woman is a mystery and it needs lots of perseverance and knowledge. A woman is the epitome of love, sacrifice, care and ability to nurture life.

The quality of a woman can be understood with these thoughts “If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant’s life, she will choose to save the infant’s life without even considering there are men at the base.” Such is the power of a woman.

The ability to nurture life makes woman the most powerful and strongest being. She can play different roles with ease be it that of a dutiful wife, obedient daughter, caring mother or adoring sister.

Women Down the Ages VS Women Now

Women down the ages were not given their due respects yet they went on without complaints. Women since time immemorial had powers to bring a change. Women fought with all odds to emerge as a winner. History is replete with examples of courageous women like Lakshmibai, Indira Gandhi, Hellen Keller and so on.

Women now are more empowered and aware of their rights and the society has accepted their stand. The society is changing and paving way for the growth of the women. The changes can be seen in the fields of education, healthcare, equality and job opportunity. The new decade has seen a marked change in attitude towards women at large. Women have made strides in every field like politics, space exploration.

Relevance of Women’s Day Celebration

The International Women’s Day is celebrated on 8th March all over the world. This is not just another day but it is a day to appreciate and give respect to all the women who are the essence of our lives. This day is a day to honour the life, grit and determination of women. These words of Charles Malik, former President of United Nations General Assembly aptly sum up the role of women “The fastest way to change society is to mobilise women of the world.” Legislations are made so that women get equal opportunities.

Need for Women’s Day Celebration

This day is the need for the hour as it is a time for introspection. This day has been recognised by United Nations General Assembly as a means of recognizing the contribution of women to the society. There is now increased participation of women in different areas such as policy making. Women have showed that if not superior; they are equal to men in all fields and taking tough decisions.

Women’s Day Celebrations

Many countries have declared 8th March as official holiday and some countries have declared it as holiday for women. Men show love and respect to the women in their lives on this day. Thousands of events are held all over the world on Women’s Day. It is a day to inspire women and promote the cause of social equality.

In India women’s organizations, NGO’s take part in women’s Day celebration by staging plays, organising seminars, giving awards to women achievers.

SOURCE: https://www.ivoryfile.com/significance-of-womens-day/

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Significance Of Women’s Day – Why Is Women’s Day Relevant? by Nobody: 12:11pm On Mar 08, 2019
O bu onye ga kpo mama? Nwa.

Ndi Umu Nwanyi unu so kwa.

3 Likes

Re: Significance Of Women’s Day – Why Is Women’s Day Relevant? by redblackmark: 12:11pm On Mar 08, 2019
Cf
Re: Significance Of Women’s Day – Why Is Women’s Day Relevant? by Rejoice006(f): 12:13pm On Mar 08, 2019
We own the world

4 Likes

Re: Significance Of Women’s Day – Why Is Women’s Day Relevant? by meobizy(f): 12:13pm On Mar 08, 2019
Let's see if releasing Captain Marvel on International Women's Day will boost its Box Office sales.
That's the only thing I care about.
Re: Significance Of Women’s Day – Why Is Women’s Day Relevant? by BlueAir: 12:13pm On Mar 08, 2019
Noted. Happy international women's day to my favorite nairaland crush MissRaine69 cheesy
Re: Significance Of Women’s Day – Why Is Women’s Day Relevant? by BlueAir: 12:14pm On Mar 08, 2019
Rejoice006:
We own the world
hubris grin watch ur step, dear.

Happy women's day
Re: Significance Of Women’s Day – Why Is Women’s Day Relevant? by Pavore9: 12:17pm On Mar 08, 2019
To all women who have defied all odds to become an inspiration to humanity, you are heroines.

10 Likes

Re: Significance Of Women’s Day – Why Is Women’s Day Relevant? by yorex2011: 12:18pm On Mar 08, 2019
Happy International Women's day to all the great women out there

1 Like

Re: Significance Of Women’s Day – Why Is Women’s Day Relevant? by faithfull18(f): 12:18pm On Mar 08, 2019
Women- the essence of life.

1 Like

Re: Significance Of Women’s Day – Why Is Women’s Day Relevant? by Nobody: 12:21pm On Mar 08, 2019
I bet most People do NOT know Real History.
The 13th Ooni of ife was a Woman. Cleopatra was a woman. The queen of Sehba was a Woman. All these people except the 13th ooni lived in the B.C (s) In Human History, Women have always been given the respect and opportunity to rule and master. Problem is , they always make decisions that would cost lasting history. When Abraham gave heed to his wife, d result was Ishmael and the world is still suffering for it Today (thru Islam). Dont twist facts, I havent seen us Celebrate Men's day or father's day but we celebrate Women's day like its fvcking golden. Am not a woman hater but i think we are Gender Biased when we twist facts to favour one gender @d detriment of the other

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Significance Of Women’s Day – Why Is Women’s Day Relevant? by Lovelyn451(f): 12:22pm On Mar 08, 2019
Happy women's day to all women

1 Like

Re: Significance Of Women’s Day – Why Is Women’s Day Relevant? by Unlimited22: 12:24pm On Mar 08, 2019
I hope when it's November 19, we'll celebrate men's day with this fervor.
Re: Significance Of Women’s Day – Why Is Women’s Day Relevant? by Charlesmore(m): 12:28pm On Mar 08, 2019
Rejoice006:
We own the world
send me yur number let me wish you undecided
Re: Significance Of Women’s Day – Why Is Women’s Day Relevant? by Timisamd(m): 12:32pm On Mar 08, 2019
Budex40:
The 13th Ooni of ife was a Woman. Cleopatra was a woman. The queen of Sehba was a Woman. All these people except the 13th ooni lived in the B.C (s) In Human History, Women have always been given the respect and opportunity to rule and master. Problem is , they always make decisions that would cost lasting history. When Abraham gave heed to his wife, d result was Ishmael and the world is still suffering for it Today (thru Islam). Dont twist facts, I havent seen us Celebrate Men's day or father's day but we celebrate Women's day like its fvcking golden. Am not a woman hater but i think we are Gender Biased when we twist facts to favour one gender @d detriment of the other

Sorry sir ...but is it not in the bible that women are not allow to step the altar, women are not counted in biblical historical context... Bible only mentioned men in it...
And didn't paul also said that if women should seek anything concerning decerning they should go to their husbands ..?

I hope feminists will react to this
grin grin
Re: Significance Of Women’s Day – Why Is Women’s Day Relevant? by Timisamd(m): 12:33pm On Mar 08, 2019
Charlesmore:
send me yur number let me wish you undecided

On the hunting mode
grin
Re: Significance Of Women’s Day – Why Is Women’s Day Relevant? by Nobody: 12:33pm On Mar 08, 2019
The empowered onces now behave men like. That y many of them are single and bitter
Re: Significance Of Women’s Day – Why Is Women’s Day Relevant? by Nobody: 12:35pm On Mar 08, 2019
Budex40:
so which of abrahams offspring migrated to congo

1 Like

Re: Significance Of Women’s Day – Why Is Women’s Day Relevant? by permit(m): 12:38pm On Mar 08, 2019
Rejoice006:
We own the world
only for today grin grin so after today no more grin grin

Re: Significance Of Women’s Day – Why Is Women’s Day Relevant? by Outreachms: 12:44pm On Mar 08, 2019
They are important, very important.....HAPPY WOMEN'S DAY TO OUR MOTHERS, SISTERS, WIFES' DAUGHTERS AND ...Complet the rest

Re: Significance Of Women’s Day – Why Is Women’s Day Relevant? by Zzyy(m): 12:47pm On Mar 08, 2019
Oh pls miss me with dat B.S grin
Re: Significance Of Women’s Day – Why Is Women’s Day Relevant? by Zzyy(m): 12:49pm On Mar 08, 2019
Happy women's day to all oloshos out there shocked shocked
Re: Significance Of Women’s Day – Why Is Women’s Day Relevant? by Nobody: 12:50pm On Mar 08, 2019
Timisamd:

Sorry sir ...but is it not in the bible that women are not allow to step the altar, women are not counted in biblical historical context... Bible only mentioned men in it...
And didn't paul also said that if women should seek anything concerning decerning they should go to their husbands ..?

grin grin

Thats why I always say...."get ur facts right".
Hope u know that Deborah was a Judge in Israel....infact she was the fourth Judge in Israel before Samson (judges 4:6-7), Hope you know that the queen of Sheba was mentioned in the Bible,
The Book of ruth was dedicated to a Woman,
The Songs of Solomon was written for a Woman,
Infact, the Bible bears record of 2 Mary(s) . It would interest you to know that Women were allowed to have inheritance in Israel.(avail yourself access to the Jewish Torah). Hope you've heared of Catherine the great , Mariam theresa of Austria, Hatshepsut of Egypt, Dowaga Cixi of China and all the Queens of England to mention a few.........

Get your facts right. The Bible made mention of soo many women......dont forget Queen Jezebel of Samaria, Queen Vashti etc. The Roman Catholic Church even hold mary with high esteem more than Jesus Christ. They pray to Mary to help them interceed with Jesus.
Women have always held promient positions in History. There has been nothing like female oppression. The concept of Patriarchy is a Feminist idea.

Gets your facts Right.

3 Likes

Re: Significance Of Women’s Day – Why Is Women’s Day Relevant? by Nobody: 12:53pm On Mar 08, 2019
Timisamd:

grin grin

Kindly quote the Biblical Passages sir
Re: Significance Of Women’s Day – Why Is Women’s Day Relevant? by apelike1: 12:57pm On Mar 08, 2019
Timisamd:

grin grin
Ruth, Deborah, serah, etc undecided

Shut up your mouth
Re: Significance Of Women’s Day – Why Is Women’s Day Relevant? by Timisamd(m): 1:09pm On Mar 08, 2019
Budex40:

Thats why I always say...."get ur facts right".
Hope u know that Deborah was a Judge in Israel....infact she was the fourth Judge in Israel before Samson (judges 4:6-7), Hope you know that the queen of Sheba was mentioned in the Bible,
The Book of ruth was dedicated to a Woman,
The Songs of Solomon was written for a Woman,
Infact, the Bible bears record of 2 Mary(s) . It would interest you to know that Women were allowed to have inheritance in Israel.(avail yourself access to the Jewish Torah). Hope you've heared of Catherine the great , Mariam theresa of Austria, Hatshepsut of Egypt, Dowaga Cixi of China and all the Queens of England to mention a few.........

Get your facts right. The Bible made mention of soo many women......dont forget Queen Jezebel of Samaria, Queen Vashti etc. The Roman Catholic Church even hold mary with high esteem more than Jesus Christ. They pray to Mary to help them interceed with Jesus.
Women have always held promient positions in History. There has been nothing like female oppression. The concept of Patriarchy is a Feminist idea.

Gets your facts Right.

Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience as also saith the law.

And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church.

What? came the word of God out from you? or came it unto you only?

If any man think himself to be a prophet, or spiritual, let him acknowledge that the things that I write unto you are the commandments of the Lord.

But if any man be ignorant, let him be ignorant.

1 Corinthians 14:34-38

Sorry sir ...
Also say to this, because this is at the time AD
The fact is that women are not regarded in past relative to today simple as abc

2 Likes

Re: Significance Of Women’s Day – Why Is Women’s Day Relevant? by Timisamd(m): 1:13pm On Mar 08, 2019
apelike1:
Ruth, Deborah, serah, etc undecided

Shut up your mouth
The bible even said if a man be ignorant, let him be...and still rule over his woman ..
grin

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Hungry Has Been Beating Us / How Many Times Is "Love Making" Recommended In Marriage / My Marriage Is Rosy BUT.......

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.