Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,824 members, 7,817,400 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:34 AM

Kenya Shows Nigeria How To Conduct Census. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Kenya Shows Nigeria How To Conduct Census. (2312 Views)

APC To Conduct Fresh Primary In Kogi / Tribunal Cancels The Election Of Nyesome Wike, INEC To Conduct Fresh Election / APC, Security Agents Scheme To Conduct Rivers Election Under Buhari's Govt– Wike (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Kenya Shows Nigeria How To Conduct Census. by Onlytruth(m): 12:47am On Sep 01, 2010
The head of Kenya's census has defended the release of national census figures that include tribal affiliations.

The decision has been criticised by some as stoking ethnic divisions.

In early 2008, more than 1,000 Kenyans were killed and 300,000 made homeless in post-election ethnic violence.

But the census director general said it was better to have indisputable numbers on Kenya's ethnic make-up, rather than politically motivated claims from the groups themselves.

The Kenya National Bureau of Statistics' census figures show that the East African nation's population has increased by more than a third in the past 10 years to 39 million.

'Nothing political'

The BBC's Peter Greste in the capital, Nairobi, says no single political issue is as divisive in Kenya as ethnicity.
Continue reading the main story
Ethnicity: Kenya's top five groups

* Kikuyu: 6.6m
    * Luhya: 5.3m
    * Kalenjin: 4.9m
    * Luo: 4m
    * Kamba: 3.8m

Source: Kenya National Bureau of Statistics

Over the decades politicians have stoked tribal conflict as a way of winning support in elections.

It underpinned corruption and nepotism, often with catastrophic consequences, our correspondent says.

At the launch of the census report, Planning Minister Wycliffe Oparanya admitted there had been controversy over what figures to release.

"There was a lot of debate on whether to include ethnicity in the census, but we have decided to be transparent," Kenya's East African Standard newspaper quotes him as saying.

The Kikuyu, Luhya, Kalenjin, Luo and Kamba were listed as the most populous ethnic groups.
Continue reading the main story
Technology figures

* Households with a computer: 3.6%
    * Households with a mobile phone: 63.2%

Source: Kenya National Bureau of Statistics

Census Director General Anthony Kilele said there was nothing political in the statistics themselves, but rather in the way people used them.

The chairman of the National Cohesion and Integration Commission (NCIC), set up to ease ethnic tensions after the post-election violence in 2007 and 2008, said there was a danger some groups would use the results to obtain more resources.

"That's one of the things that the National Cohesion and Integration Commission is supposed to keep an eye on," Mzalendo Kibunjia told the BBC's Focus on Africa programme.

"You say because you are a dominant tribe then you are also dominant in terms of resource allocation. That is what is wrong," he said.

Other census figures showed that more than 67% of Kenyans live in rural areas, 63% of households have a mobile phone and 30% of the population has access to piped water.

Mr Oparanya added the high population growth would have an adverse affect on spending, so an aggressive family planning programme would now be launched.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-11143914
Re: Kenya Shows Nigeria How To Conduct Census. by Onlytruth(m): 12:48am On Sep 01, 2010
Where is Kenyaman? lol. cool
Re: Kenya Shows Nigeria How To Conduct Census. by Onlytruth(m): 12:51am On Sep 01, 2010
This is an African country DETERMINED to take the bull by the horn and tackle some of the most contentious issues facing the country.
In Nigeria,we sweep everything under the carpet. sad
Re: Kenya Shows Nigeria How To Conduct Census. by Onlytruth(m): 12:55am On Sep 01, 2010
It took [url=https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-500126.0.html this discourse]this discourse [/url]on nairaland for me to know for the first time, that there are aboriginal Igbo speaking people in Bonny and Opobo.

I also learned that about 80% of the militants in the Niger delta are Igbo.

So, for how long would Nigeria keep hiding tribal figures?
Re: Kenya Shows Nigeria How To Conduct Census. by asha80(m): 1:06am On Sep 01, 2010
Onlytruth:

It took [b][url=https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-500126.0.html this discourse]this discourse [/url][/b]on nairaland for me to know for the first time, that there are aboriginal Igbo speaking people in Bonny and Opobo.

I also learned that about 80% of the militants in the Niger delta are Igbo.

So, for how long would Nigeria keep hiding tribal figures?

How do you do the bolded?I mean a post a link in that manner?

As for 80percent of militants being igbo nna i doubt that.
Re: Kenya Shows Nigeria How To Conduct Census. by Onlytruth(m): 1:16am On Sep 01, 2010
asha 80:

How do you do the bolded?I mean a post a link in that manner?

As for 80percent of militants being igbo nna i doubt that.

Okay here's how:

Part A (the thread you want to link)

(1)Go to address bar and highlight the link
(2) Right click to copy the link

PART B (the one you are posting)

(3) Return to your document
(4) Highlight the words you want to link
(5) Click the "insert hyperlink" (the one next to insert flash)
(6) Make sure that the link is behind the highlighted words
(7) Post thread (concluded).

You can correct errors easily if you fail by modifying the posted link.

I hope this helps.

As for the percentage of militants who are Igbo, someone posted a news report based on police report on that thread I linked earlier. They are not my words. I'll find it and repost it  here.
I was shocked too.  undecided
Re: Kenya Shows Nigeria How To Conduct Census. by asha80(m): 1:24am On Sep 01, 2010
Re: Kenya Shows Nigeria How To Conduct Census. by ChinenyeN(m): 1:38am On Sep 01, 2010
Asha, it should look something like this. . .
example
Re: Kenya Shows Nigeria How To Conduct Census. by asha80(m): 1:42am On Sep 01, 2010
^^^ Mehn the dey give me headache  embarassed
Re: Kenya Shows Nigeria How To Conduct Census. by ChinenyeN(m): 1:56am On Sep 01, 2010
Notin spoil, nnaa. In short, just follow these steps. . .

1. Type whatever text you want.
In this life, we deal with nonsense like this

2. Highlight the portion you want to hyperlink.
**don't know the code for highlighting, so I just bolded it**

3. Then you insert hyperlink (code for hyperlink)
In this life, we deal with nonsense like [*url]this[/url]
**in the actual hyperlink, do not add the asterisk symbol, ( * )

4. Then put an equal sign and copy your the actual link url to the hyperlink code.
In this life, we deal with nonsense like [*url=
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRQCFtUS2is]this[/url]
**again, do not add the asterisk symbol, ( * )

5. Post, and you should get a result like this.

Basically, your hyperlink should always have a "url=link" in the first brackets "[]"
Re: Kenya Shows Nigeria How To Conduct Census. by asha80(m): 2:08am On Sep 01, 2010
na wa for this

yay  grin thanx man

By the way the girl talking in your you tube link na ur sis cheesy
Re: Kenya Shows Nigeria How To Conduct Census. by ChinenyeN(m): 2:23am On Sep 01, 2010
asha 80:

na wa for this

yay  grin thanx man

By the way the girl talking in your you tube link na your sis    cheesy
no wahala, nnaa. My sis? eh-ehn. My sista no de jitu nji mkpa ahu. grin and she no fit do accent like the girl in that video.

(1) (Reply)

Daylight Robber Caught, Beaten, Till He Bleeds In Delta State (PHOTOS) / Actor Clems Onyeka Killed By Stray Bullet In Asaba This Afternoon / APC Chairman & PDP Chairman Cuddles In Public (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.