Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,756 members, 7,820,623 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:26 PM

Should I Quit The Job. Please Help I Am Lost? - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Should I Quit The Job. Please Help I Am Lost? (11922 Views)

I Quit My Lagos Hotel Manager Job, Relocated To Abuja For Green Pasture -Emenalo / Juju Scare: Should I Quit My Job? / Should I Quit My Job Or Not? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should I Quit The Job. Please Help I Am Lost? by misano(m): 1:49pm On Mar 09, 2019
prettysassygirl:

this is an informal forum,its not expected that one should come here and begin to blow grammar, I just stated an observation ,I didn't condemn the op,yet some Nigerian judges landed to crucify me.

Glad you know NL to be an informal forum and Queen's English is of no importance here - so why correct him like he as committed a big offence? In writing such a long post, the OP will have to proofread a couple of times to make all corrections. But obviously, there is no time for that. He needs just your advice on what to do next & not grammatical correction.

4 Likes

Re: Should I Quit The Job. Please Help I Am Lost? by EYIBLESSN(m): 1:50pm On Mar 09, 2019
Onlinefarmstore:

Sorry to say what tribe are you? Trust Igbo's you are in place that has potentials yet you turn a blind eye! You serve there self. Are you this dumb? Pardon me. See you see Lagos and north where you can buy food stuff and go and sell yet you are looking for job. I dropped out of Unilag to start my company with only 13k after selling my laptop. Guy shine your eye. You can start managing the company and start exporting rice. Sorry bro your friend around you are to be blamed. Wise up!!!! Mtwwww

It is not like that. If I am serious in the first instance, I wouldn't have travelled back to the place again.

There is a manager therein who is responsible for the day to day work reporting to the CEO. There are established customers buying the produce already.

Seriously. I have told him that he should creates channels for easy marketing. but he said he cannot meet up with demands already.
Re: Should I Quit The Job. Please Help I Am Lost? by prettysassygirl(f): 1:52pm On Mar 09, 2019
Daviddson:
And you think you're in the right position to say this? You began all your sentences with lower cases, you used 'u' instead of 'you', 'i' instead of 'I', wrote 'its' instead of 'It's', etc. And two places you should have used full stops, you used comma. So think again. In fact, his own command of English is 10,000 times better than yours, aside very small number of errors he made.
Teacher ,did I ask u?
Re: Should I Quit The Job. Please Help I Am Lost? by EYIBLESSN(m): 1:53pm On Mar 09, 2019
pawesome:
see as you busy demanding like a girl.. I taught it was a girl self.. Bros, he has the connect and the influence... You need to tap into that and stop the complaining.. You are a guy, act like one.. Be sharp and use the opportunity not talking about the salary but look at it in a much larger scale..

I am a thinker. I have identified channels but things are not they way you are viewing it. That I left to take the job you would agrees with ME that I am a serious mind.
Re: Should I Quit The Job. Please Help I Am Lost? by prettysassygirl(f): 1:53pm On Mar 09, 2019
misano:

Glad you know NL to be an informal forum and Queen's English is of no importance here - so why correct him like he as committed a big offence? In writing such a long post, the OP will have to proofread a couple of times to make all corrections. But obviously, there is no time for that. He needs just your advice on what to do next & not grammatical correction.
oya u have talk enough,face your front
Re: Should I Quit The Job. Please Help I Am Lost? by pawesome(m): 1:55pm On Mar 09, 2019
EYIBLESSN:

I am a thinker. I have identified channels but things are not they way you are viewing it. That I left to take the job you would agrees with ME that I am a serious mind.
shift his job to one side.. Make a side hustle from the job.. He seem to listen to you alot why not make use of that advantage and hustle something bigger from him
Re: Should I Quit The Job. Please Help I Am Lost? by prettysassygirl(f): 1:57pm On Mar 09, 2019
MrMcJay:

I'll rather enrol you in a school where they train dogs so that you'll learn to respect humans.

You lack home and educational training.
anyone would do,am open to learning, send the money. Hope u would enroll yourself too as I can see that u are no better than me and u need the training just as much as I do .
Re: Should I Quit The Job. Please Help I Am Lost? by EYIBLESSN(m): 1:58pm On Mar 09, 2019
angelusbrut:

As a Qc trainee, what have you learnt so far? experience is key, learn fast, start applying for jobs if u have built confidence enough to defend yourself in crucial interview sections, u mentioned that u gat nobody to help u, it's life for u, never mind, u will soon become a helper to many, d journey to success is not easy, since u have experience in food processing industry, shift your application attention to that area.
Remember to inform the man that brought you into that job before you leave, good relationship is very key in life

Well, I have learnt many things and still learning. Just as I have been applying for jobs. There are few things I cannot mention here that I am encountering on daily basis.
Re: Should I Quit The Job. Please Help I Am Lost? by greatnaija01: 2:02pm On Mar 09, 2019
6k actually and my goods arrived in a 10 days and got sold in 3 days. with a profit of 20k,

i imported again and made another 65k profit.
I learned from whatsapp seminars advertised here on NL and also NL threads by BLACKPANTHAR guy.

iTearHerToto:
And u started with less than 10k Hmmm
Re: Should I Quit The Job. Please Help I Am Lost? by misano(m): 2:03pm On Mar 09, 2019
prettysassygirl:
oya u have talk enough,face your front

You are bad in English. Are you a school dropout?

1 Like

Re: Should I Quit The Job. Please Help I Am Lost? by Nobody: 2:09pm On Mar 09, 2019
EYIBLESSN:
Dear Friends,
Good Evening,

Please I need your candid advice on this very important matter. Please don't mind my Turenchi because I am a learner.

I am lost and don't know of what to do..

I was posted to serve in one of the North Central States. It was one of the lost difficult period for me since inception. One of the few things I enjoyed was the fact that I met new and important people...

Whenever I meet new people I would tell them I needs job. Immediately after my POP last October 17BS1, I left angrily due to the reality of things at that time and vowed not to be back in that state.

I have no parents and things were though with no one to help. Whosoever I seek help from would promise without fulfilment.

On the 8th of November last year, I had a message from someone I had informed of job opportunities whenever the opportunity beckons. During this period. I got a job too in a microfinance bank in Lagos as loan agent but I was afraid to take up such job.

The key reasons why I travelled back to the said state was, the person who called ME until his retirement this month was a state coordinator of one Federal Government agency.

Meanwhile, there was a time during the service year where he said that most corps member are not serious. That in 2016 two "Kopas" came to him for job and they left without coming back when he told them he got jobs for them with the same agency.

So, I came but it turned out to be a processing plants where local rice is been processed. I left Lagos on 12 November before I could see the person I was introduced to was about month..

I was bad and disappointed during this period. but when I eventually met him. He said I would be in charge of QC, Hygiene and Safety. Myself and the manager are the only skilled worker of about 20 staff strength..

Though, I've never had any working experience apart from subject and classroom teacher I did before Uni and before NYSC. I met the man who recommended ME and I told him to put ME through how to negotiate.

He said I should not mentioned big money as long as I don't have the experience on how to negotiate. I met the CEO, He told me that they are just putting things in place to expand the business.

He said, he would pay 25K. I told him with my exposure, experiences and what I will be bringing into the company. I told him it would not work out. He later agreed to pay 30+ with accommodation and things to make me a bit comfortable.

When I told the man that recommended ME he was bad and said it is ridiculous.. He put some words on my head.

I accepted the offer, he paid my first salary. I was bit happy that at least is better than begging and gallivanting without anything to eat. I believe starting small should not be jeopardized.

When I came I was staying with a friend I met in camp, we were in the same platoon we served in the same local government close to the state capital and we were together in the same group. I was spending three hundred naira daily to work and fro.

That was when my problems began. hence, my friend and will be coming to Ibadan on the 16th of December last year. When he left I moved to a cousin's place in Kopas lodge where I spend two hundred naira daily. This time I am as becoming pained.

I called the man and explained to fulfill his promises or else I make my journey home. He said I should start looking for where to stay. The least I got was 80K which he agreed to pay. but I told him I won't take it from him..

I explained to him that I am not comfortable with my salary that in a no distant time that I will demand salary increase. He asked my age I told him 26. He said I too like money and that I am still young.

But he is in money. I must let you know. He gave ME the money 8OK. but I went for 60K apartment. before I could say anything he has left for UK without informing ME.

This period my first pay is gone after I paid my tithes. I assisted my friend with cooking finances before he left. I kept the 20K as my first saving. I never knew he travelled until 23rd December then I was already confused.

Before the end of December the 20K was already gone. his lines were not going through. Until 5th Jan when I messaged him on WhatsApp and he replied and pay me my December pay on the 7th.

I reminded him that I have not gotten bed and cooking utensils. He said he will do that when he return from UK. He said next week. This period I was already happy that I would move into new apartment and started enjoying small small..

I went to the market bought carpet and hanger also paid my tithe. Two weeks turned a month before I could see him again. He sent money for the bed alone and my salary....

To cut the story short, though he is into businesses he is also a big man in the politics of his state. very busy but lively and liberal. H e engages me anytime he comes around. This makes me admires him the more. Though we've not been doing anything serious since January in the factory..

Something happened yesterday which I considered insulting.

For the first time, He sent my salary through his manager. Which I don't like apart from that he deducted 15K from my salary. Not only ME but to other factory workers. Those earning 10k collected 5K. One of them told me that that is what they will pay for this month.

I was bad and called him why such happened. but failed to give ME a reason. I went to his WhatsApp showed my anger and he said nothing..

Help ME out. Should I quite the job? because it is ridiculous to me...

C’mon you need to take your time and learn the curve. Admire don’t insult him and tell him if his interested you working for him wholeheartedly.

Expect you are not motivated in the field.

I have experienced such you will learn from it. It takes courage to stand on ur feet Men need an helper
Re: Should I Quit The Job. Please Help I Am Lost? by EYIBLESSN(m): 2:11pm On Mar 09, 2019
yuppy101:

C’mon you need to take your time and learn the curve. Admire don’t insult him and tell him if his interested you working for him wholeheartedly.

Expect you are not motivated in the field.

I have experienced such you will learn from it. It takes courage to stand on ur feet Men need an helper

Thanks.
Re: Should I Quit The Job. Please Help I Am Lost? by anthonyuncle(m): 2:12pm On Mar 09, 2019
laivwire:
I thought `I saw Katsina somewhere in there. Good, Bad and ugly.

Good: You have a job that although pays very little gives you some free time. You're building experience, You also have a good rapport with the CEO and can make demands.

Bad: Poor salary scale, no structure and no foreseeable upward mobility.

Ugly: You also didn't negotiate well from the start. Clearly stating and collecting all appropriate dues upfront will have saved you a lot of cat and mouse race with the MD. Its a lesson you'll do good to learn for the future but you're caught in the trap on this one and lastly, a stark reality is that getting a good private sector job in these northern states is a pipedream. Except you get a government job, brother you're on your own. It pays to get a job from Lagos, PH, Abuja and you're then posted to the northern states with a good package.

Now to the next step> What career path do you really want to follow? You should be at least 22 years old so you have that a bit figured out by now. You intend to build a career in QC or rice processing or agric or whatever. If so you can chill with him and look to help upgrade to manager or perhaps open another branch for him before you eventually open your own...or maybe he has connect to give you a government job in the near future wink

Option 2: Cut your losses and move to a more commercial area (city) to hustle and improve your odds.

Otherwise, sad to say, you will rot under the hot northern sun and very soon be no different from dusty Almajiris with bad english asking begging for crumbs from friends.

u said my mind
Re: Should I Quit The Job. Please Help I Am Lost? by abdeiz(m): 2:15pm On Mar 09, 2019
greatnaija01:
YES, go search for a better job whenever he is not around before your rent expires.
Consider doing business too. like mini-importation you can start with less than 10k and make 50k monthly.

its well with you bro

Brother can you help me out, I'm interested in going into mini importation
Re: Should I Quit The Job. Please Help I Am Lost? by Nobody: 2:23pm On Mar 09, 2019
prettysassygirl:

my dear use another line, don't be a nitwit
your own writing ain't better.
Re: Should I Quit The Job. Please Help I Am Lost? by greatnaija01: 2:24pm On Mar 09, 2019
yes o. the product was 600 naira and I bought 8 then used the rest to pay delivery so it arrives in one week but it took 10 days to get it in my Location because I was not in Lagos at the time.
Then Sold it for 3500 each... under 3 days. so I got 27k+ removing my capital I HAD 20K profit.

hope its clear... and pls forget about asking me the product I imported....

iTearHerToto:
you order for 6k with no delivery fees or that was for everything?
Re: Should I Quit The Job. Please Help I Am Lost? by greatnaija01: 3:03pm On Mar 09, 2019
i already explain na.... i follow a guy on nairaland BLACKPANTHAR and he taught us everything... on whatsapp.

I DO NOT TEACH OR MENTOR.... i was just giving counsel to OP.

I already explained how I came about the business. scroll up

iTearHerToto:
How did you cum about that business? And I hope those products you deal with are marketable anywhere around Lagos
Re: Should I Quit The Job. Please Help I Am Lost? by IAMBlesssed(f): 3:21pm On Mar 09, 2019
prettysassygirl:
op are u sure u are a graduate?? your use of words doesn't depict u as a graduate. its a pity the kind of Nigeria we are in,our educational standards are too poor, i can remember one graduate my mother employed in her school that doesn't even know how to recite multiplication table 2.

Shut up! Iti mpataka.. You are so incorrigible. OP's English is far better than yours..

2 Likes

Re: Should I Quit The Job. Please Help I Am Lost? by mechanics(m): 4:27pm On Mar 09, 2019
Bros relax, you should talk to him and let him tell you the reason he deducted 15K from your salary, if no tangible explanation you leave, it's frustrating for one to be receiving a small pay and worst till deducting from the pay, if he has fulfilled the promises he made to you and you like the job, you can stay if not leave.
Re: Should I Quit The Job. Please Help I Am Lost? by rickyboss333: 4:28pm On Mar 09, 2019
misano:

Moreover, he apologized from the unset for his errors. Don't know why people behave so childish.

OP, I really do understand what you're going through. I was once in your shoes, though not exactly. One thing I can assure you is that you will surely pass this phase and smile one day. For the meantime, as long as your not happy with what your doing as a job, no matter how much you're paid, you will never be comfortable especially when your paid peanuts. For me, as long as the salary isn't worth it and you don't seem to gain much experience wise, I'll advice you move out from there and go back to Lagos where there are better job opportunities, since you have a place to stay in Lagos.
Restructure your CV, explore it with the little experience you have gained in that work place of yours and start dropping them where needed. You could also be doing any business of your ability just like you have been advised in this forum while searching. Just remember that life after service is not easy, that is is the real life.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Quit The Job. Please Help I Am Lost? by mindtricks: 4:40pm On Mar 09, 2019
dingbang:
angry let me just keep quiet.
Abi. Like as if mummy Patience Jonathan looked and screamed at you saying: "will you keep quiet?" grin

1 Like

Re: Should I Quit The Job. Please Help I Am Lost? by ONY3KAH(m): 4:44pm On Mar 09, 2019
prettysassygirl:
op are u sure u are a graduate?? your use of words doesn't depict u as a graduate. its a pity the kind of Nigeria we are in,our educational standards are too poor, i can remember one graduate my mother employed in her school that doesn't even know how to recite multiplication table 2.
oga if you don't have any meaningful advice to give... why not get out of the thread... must you show yourself... there are great engineers and doctors that cant speak or write English correctly but that doesn't make them less professionals.. English is a lingua franca not our language

3 Likes

Re: Should I Quit The Job. Please Help I Am Lost? by Nobody: 4:46pm On Mar 09, 2019
EYIBLESSN:
Dear Friends,
Good Evening,

Please I need your candid advice on this very important matter. Please don't mind my Turenchi because I am a learner.

I was posted to serve in one of the North Central States. It was one of the lost difficult period for me since inception. One of the few things I enjoyed was the fact that I met new and important people...

Whenever I meet new people I would tell them I needs job. Immediately after my POP last October 17BS1, I left angrily due to the reality of things at that time and vowed not to be back in that state.

I have no parents and things were though with no one to help. Whosoever I seek help from would promise without fulfilment.

On the 8th of November last year, I had a message from someone I had informed of job opportunities whenever the opportunity beckons. During this period. I got a job too in a microfinance bank in Lagos as loan agent but I was afraid to take up such job.

The key reasons why I travelled back to the said state was, the person who called ME until his retirement this month was a state coordinator of one Federal Government agency.

Meanwhile, there was a time during the service year where he said that most corps member are not serious. That in 2016 two "Kopas" came to him for job and they left without coming back when he told them he got jobs for them with the same agency.

So, I came but it turned out to be a processing plants where local rice is been processed. I left Lagos on 12 November before I could see the person I was introduced to was about month..

I was bad and disappointed during this period. but when I eventually met him. He said I would be in charge of QC, Hygiene and Safety. Myself and the manager are the only skilled worker of about 20 staff strength..

Though, I've never had any working experience apart from subject and classroom teacher I did before Uni and before NYSC. I met the man who recommended ME and I told him to put ME through how to negotiate.

He said I should not mentioned big money as long as I don't have the experience on how to negotiate. I met the CEO, He told me that they are just putting things in place to expand the business.

He said, he would pay 25K. I told him with my exposure, experiences and what I will be bringing into the company. I told him it would not work out. He later agreed to pay 30+ with accommodation and things to make me a bit comfortable.

When I told the man that recommended ME he was bad and said it is ridiculous.. He put some words on my head.

I accepted the offer, he paid my first salary. I was bit happy that at least is better than begging and gallivanting without anything to eat. I believe starting small should not be jeopardized.

When I came I was staying with a friend I met in camp, we were in the same platoon we served in the same local government close to the state capital and we were together in the same group. I was spending three hundred naira daily to work and fro.

That was when my problems began. hence, my friend and will be coming to Ibadan on the 16th of December last year. When he left I moved to a cousin's place in Kopas lodge where I spend two hundred naira daily. This time I am as becoming pained.

I called the man and explained to fulfill his promises or else I make my journey home. He said I should start looking for where to stay. The least I got was 80K which he agreed to pay. but I told him I won't take it from him..

I explained to him that I am not comfortable with my salary that in a no distant time that I will demand salary increase. He asked my age I told him 26. He said I too like money and that I am still young.

But he is in money. I must let you know. He gave ME the money 8OK. but I went for 60K apartment. before I could say anything he has left for UK without informing ME.

This period my first pay is gone after I paid my tithes. I assisted my friend with cooking finances before he left. I kept the 20K as my first saving. I never knew he travelled until 23rd December then I was already confused.

Before the end of December the 20K was already gone. his lines were not going through. Until 5th Jan when I messaged him on WhatsApp and he replied and pay me my December pay on the 7th.

I reminded him that I have not gotten bed and cooking utensils. He said he will do that when he return from UK. He said next week. This period I was already happy that I would move into new apartment and started enjoying small small..

I went to the market bought carpet and hanger also paid my tithe. Two weeks turned a month before I could see him again. He sent money for the bed alone and my salary....

To cut the story short, though he is into businesses he is also a big man in the politics of his state. very busy but lively and liberal. H e engages me anytime he comes around. This makes me admires him the more. Though we've not been doing anything serious since January in the factory..

For the first time, He sent my salary through his manager. Which I don't like apart from that he deducted 15K from my salary. Not only ME but to other factory workers. Those earning 10k collected 5K. One of them told me that that is what they will pay for this month.

I was bad and called him why such happened. but failed to give ME a reason. I went to his WhatsApp showed my anger and he said nothing..

So he should be the one furnishing your house for you like he is your parents ?

Generally young people are impatient, and it takes time for them to learn.

Do you know if his business is running at a loss ?

Quit Quit Quit, as if someone kept another job for you.
Re: Should I Quit The Job. Please Help I Am Lost? by prettysassygirl(f): 5:34pm On Mar 09, 2019
IAMBlesssed:

Shut up! Iti mpataka.. You are so incorrigible. OP's English is far better than yours..
it's like u are high on some weed. I can see the signs grin
IAMBlesssed:

it's like u are high on some weed. I can see the signs
Re: Should I Quit The Job. Please Help I Am Lost? by Nobody: 6:35pm On Mar 09, 2019
iTearHerToto:
And u started with less than 10k Hmmm
Lol! Some Nigerians are comedians
Re: Should I Quit The Job. Please Help I Am Lost? by Nobody: 6:42pm On Mar 09, 2019
EYIBLESSN:

Then why are you complaining? 30k is small but you are working in a rice processing plant. There must be something you can do there legitimately to supplement your salary. Thousands of graduates are collecting below 30k monthly salary here in Abuja and are still surviving and paying their rents.
Re: Should I Quit The Job. Please Help I Am Lost? by Nobody: 6:46pm On Mar 09, 2019
greatnaija01:
6k actually and my goods arrived in a 10 days and got sold in 3 days. with a profit of 20k,

i imported again and made another 65k profit.
I learned from whatsapp seminars advertised here on NL and also NL threads by BLACKPANTHAR guy.

Keep looking for who to scam of their little money with your nonsense serminar and daydreaming profits
Re: Should I Quit The Job. Please Help I Am Lost? by figure007(m): 6:46pm On Mar 09, 2019
prettysassygirl:
mr man English has nothing to do with your success.... That's the problem we have in this country.... Loads of employers of labours can't speak fluently and moreover what he wrote is okay, he seeks your opinion but you are here condeming him imagine All this I too sabi self. You wey sabi English am sure you are the chairman of cbn shey?
Re: Should I Quit The Job. Please Help I Am Lost? by kindness44: 7:20pm On Mar 09, 2019
EYIBLESSN:
Dear Friends,
Good Evening,

if 10 percent salary did not satisfied u how can 90 percent do?? stop paying tithes and start moving forward in this ur trying time, our pastors are all ready rich, besides God doesn't want ur money. as 4 d job b contented with that till God help u.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Suggestions: What Would Be The Minimum Hourly Pay Rate For The Nigerian Workers? / Should I Sack My Staff For Stealing #500:00? / First Bank Staff In Port Harcourt Reacts To Mass Sack Allegation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 119
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.