Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,639 members, 7,823,814 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 03:52 PM

How Much It Cost To Build An App Like Uber Or Spotify - Programming (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / How Much It Cost To Build An App Like Uber Or Spotify (9180 Views)

How Much Would You Charge To Create A Ride Sharing Application Like Uber / Web Development: How Much Will It Cost To Learn? / How To Build An On-demand Platform Like Uber Or Airbnb (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Much It Cost To Build An App Like Uber Or Spotify by micodon(m): 9:22am On Mar 15, 2019
resosdigital:

When I told you to read about php7 you felt i was insulting you.

Check out reactphp and amphp

Tip: Php7 + lumen + nginx + reactphp + amphp can more than efficiently handle any i/o or concurrency project.

See, when I tell you I am a php developer, I don't mean the mysqli function kinda guy. I mean the crazy nerdy deep stuff kinda guy.

And I would like you to tell me the problems I would encounter using php so I can brief you how php7 solves it.

Thanks

Reactphp and ratchet are hacks Sir.
Re: How Much It Cost To Build An App Like Uber Or Spotify by resosdigital(m): 9:26am On Mar 15, 2019
micodon:

No they are not.

They are php7 packages you install using composer dependency manager.

You should give them a try.

1 Like

Re: How Much It Cost To Build An App Like Uber Or Spotify by resosdigital(m): 9:29am On Mar 15, 2019
If you called reactphp a hack would you also call nodejs a hack.

Note nodejs is not a language but a set of tools and modules built on top of javascript specifically googles v8 engine with c to handle non blocking io issues.

Reactphp was built exactly this way but with php

1 Like

Re: How Much It Cost To Build An App Like Uber Or Spotify by resosdigital(m): 9:42am On Mar 15, 2019
micodon:

Also note that golang does not support websockets out of the box, you will need to pull in the gorilla websocket package to use websockets in your project.

Hmmmm!!
Re: How Much It Cost To Build An App Like Uber Or Spotify by seunthomas: 3:12pm On Mar 15, 2019
A lot of people come and call ridiculous prices and give clients false hopes.

If you are serious about building any app either streaming or taxi hailing, you need to have a budget above 500k for the barest minimum.

And please dont expect such an app to have many features.

A total clone of uber with all the features it has will cost you nothing less than 10 million Naira.

If you want to start small and grow over time, then you should budget like 1.5 million.

If you just want to have a minimum viable product you can be thinking of 500k and above. Dont expect that an app of 500k will be able to compete with something that 10 million and above was spent on.

Beyond the app and the backend there are a lot of other things that makes a service like uber and spotify work as expected. An please you cant build the core of a realtime system with php, it will scale but with a lot of difficulty and the system will be broken most times.

Golang is a good option.

Java, Python also work well.

4 Likes

Re: How Much It Cost To Build An App Like Uber Or Spotify by makavele: 4:02pm On Mar 15, 2019
^^ Great points. Though python & scaling should never be mentioned in the same line lol

1 Like

Re: How Much It Cost To Build An App Like Uber Or Spotify by bet9ja(m): 8:39pm On Mar 15, 2019
resosdigital:

Thanks for your detailed analysis on my life.
I am so sorry if i sounded rude. You need to wake up from your slumber. I charge more than 200k for eCommerce which normally take me less than 3 days (including custom requirements) to build. Now do the maths and see why developers will be angry at your figures for a big project as Uber App. If i take 1.5M for the project, I will surely propose an agreement to own 10% share in the project.

2 Likes

Re: How Much It Cost To Build An App Like Uber Or Spotify by abula112(m): 8:42pm On Mar 15, 2019
seunthomas:
A lot of people come and call ridiculous prices and give clients false hopes.

If you are serious about building any app either streaming or taxi hailing, you need to have a budget above 500k for the barest minimum.

And please dont expect such an app to have many features.

A total clone of uber with all the features it has will cost you nothing less than 10 million Naira.

If you want to start small and grow over time, then you should budget like 1.5 million.

If you just want to have a minimum viable product you can be thinking of 500k and above. Dont expect that an app of 500k will be able to compete with something that 10 million and above was spent on.

Beyond the app and the backend there are a lot of other things that makes a service like uber and spotify work as expected. An please you cant build the core of a realtime system with php, it will scale but with a lot of difficulty and the system will be broken most times.

Golang is a good option.

Java, Python also work well.
The best realtime is firestore or firebase

2 Likes

Re: How Much It Cost To Build An App Like Uber Or Spotify by seunthomas: 9:18am On Mar 16, 2019
abula112:

The best realtime is to build your own. You dont depend on 3rd party services. At scale you cant be using a service like firebase because it would be too expensive.

4 Likes

Re: How Much It Cost To Build An App Like Uber Or Spotify by micodon(m): 10:35am On Mar 16, 2019
resosdigital:

Also note that golang does not support websockets out of the box, you will need to pull in the gorilla websocket package to use websockets in your project.

Hmmmm!!

Do you know what a library is? Ratchet is a library, AND a hack. You really need to learn 1 compiled language. Obviously you have knowledge of just the LAMP stack
Re: How Much It Cost To Build An App Like Uber Or Spotify by micodon(m): 10:38am On Mar 16, 2019
abula112:

Exactly, I don't understand how someone, in this age, would use PHP to build an uber-like backend and still defend the choice. Even the Phalcon-PHP framework would struggle
Re: How Much It Cost To Build An App Like Uber Or Spotify by micodon(m): 10:40am On Mar 16, 2019
resosdigital:

No they are not.

They are php7 packages you install using composer dependency manager.

You should give them a try.

Smh. Stuff I used before migrating to Node. In your experience, you don't know what a hack is? Gosh!!
Re: How Much It Cost To Build An App Like Uber Or Spotify by Olalekank(m): 10:59am On Mar 16, 2019
Baba asked for price and who is willing but now we have started argument as to which language is the best to handle which. Typical Nigerian programmers, we just shouldn't argue but learn, learn and try to see things from the other person's perspective and make our own personal research.

3 Likes

Re: How Much It Cost To Build An App Like Uber Or Spotify by resosdigital(m): 11:32am On Mar 16, 2019
micodon:

Do you know what a library is? Ratchet is a library, AND a hack. You really need to learn 1 compiled language. Obviously you have knowledge of just the LAMP stack

I am really sorry but my busy schedule wont permit me to afford you with you a response any more because frankly I don't see the point.

Still waiting for the problems php7 would pose though and oh php7 has moved beyond "lamp".

And you are also sfree to keep making baseless and wrong assumptions about me.

Thanks

3 Likes

Re: How Much It Cost To Build An App Like Uber Or Spotify by resosdigital(m): 11:34am On Mar 16, 2019
Olalekank:
Baba asked for price and who is willing but now we have started argument as to which language is the best to handle which. Typical Nigerian programmers, we just shouldn't argue but learn, learn and try to see things from the other person's perspective and make our own personal research.
Last last, na you get sense pas.

Like I said earlier one chooses go another python another java and another nodejs.

Truth be if you give 20 good programmers a problem, you would most likely get 20 different solutions.

Doesnt make one right and others wrong.

Because any experienced programmer knows that programming is way beyond syntax and even language or tools but programming is all about thinking and solving the problems you encounter.

4 Likes

Re: How Much It Cost To Build An App Like Uber Or Spotify by abula112(m): 11:57am On Mar 16, 2019
seunthomas:

The best realtime is to build your own. You dont depend on 3rd party services. At scale you cant be using a service like firebase because it would be too expensive.
firebase is more expensive and not as powerful as firestore, firestore pricing is relatively low. After using free quota for the day, which is high 50k data read, u re charged $0.06 per 100k data read after. if one manages read , write , delete operations well, even with a million of data stored, u cant spent $50 in a month(for a large project u profit from), saving you database management cost, api management cost, development cost, and same time achieve the best real time and offline sync feature.. google firebase is not going anywhr soon.. depending on a low risk 3rd party is not a big deal, u cant rely on doing everything on ur own when someone provides a better way. Just like saying building your own framework, or building ur own sms integration, dat is so inefficient, management costly, security expensive and other issues
Re: How Much It Cost To Build An App Like Uber Or Spotify by asalimpo(m): 12:52pm On Mar 16, 2019
resosdigital:

Last last, na you get sense pas.

Like I said earlier one chooses go another python another java and another nodejs.

Truth be if you give 20 good programmers a problem, you would most likely get 20 different solutions.

Doesnt make one right and others wrong.

Because any experienced programmer knows that programming is way beyond syntax and even language or tools but programming is all about thinking and solving the problems you encounter.
20 programmers will also complete d task in different time ranges. The fastest may not b d best and vice versa.

1 Like

Re: How Much It Cost To Build An App Like Uber Or Spotify by Googleads4: 4:49pm On Mar 16, 2019
resosdigital:

Thanks.

So how much do you think I should be charging for jobs of these size in the future.

Oga,

Resos

I understand you perfectly ,

This jobs are time consuming this days

Besides ,you may need a different technology to complete the task than you know

For an app like the op stated

500 should be the starting point

That's just about 1500

By standard an intermediate coder won't do this less than 2500 dollars

BTW

I done try your number tired now wet I don catch you for here

I go pm you now(name cheap server seems to be stopping using their server mail features

Therefore both admin and students stopped getting confirmations

Aside this there is another

I want to finish the front end before coming to you

Was prittty happy see you here sha,

Re: How Much It Cost To Build An App Like Uber Or Spotify by paranorman(m): 8:55pm On Mar 16, 2019
resosdigital:

I am really sorry but my busy schedule wont permit me to afford you with you a response any more because frankly I don't see the point.

Still waiting for the problems php7 would pose though and oh php7 has moved beyond "lamp".

And you are also sfree to keep making baseless and wrong assumptions about me.

Thanks
How advanced as PHP come?
Re: How Much It Cost To Build An App Like Uber Or Spotify by davinchecodes(m): 7:34pm On Mar 18, 2019
resosdigital:
Before developing any kind of app or software you would first need a plan as in essence what you are building is a new business.

So, I would assume you have that part covered and just want consultations on the development part of it.

The first step in building a kind of enterprise app like uber or spotify is UI and UX design.

This is important as your app will be used by thousands of people, your Ui design needs to be clean and easy to use.

Focus also needs to be given to the UX design as the success of the app will be largely depended on its usage the user experience needs to world class in order to encourage users to keep coming back.

It is recommend that UI and UX work be done by a good designer in Adobe XD or similar UI design software.

After the designs must have been completed and approved, the next step involves transforming the designs to usable frontend components. This involves exporting the design assets and coding up the frontend part of the app.

This will he done in whatever framework you decide to use to build your app. (I recommend and use ionic).

After the frontend components are completed and you basically have a kinda usable prototype of the app, then comes the backend development.

There are lots of options available to choose from with the rise if MBAAS in recent time but I would recommend you build out your backend yourself.

The backend development involves implementing all the business logic of the app and also building all necessary APIs to be used.

I recommend and use laravel and lumen for all backend services and hosting on a cloud server.(digital ocean is recommended).

After the backend is developed and everything wired together, your app should be ready for launch.

Also note that within the first 3 months, lots of changes might be needed as you begin getting feedback from your users and discovering what works, what features they like and want etc.

Development time could stretch from between 40days to 90days though more detailed development schedule would be developed when a detail project requirements is presented.

As a UI, UX and full stack web and mobile developer I can handle this project for you and would charge 200k for the completed design and development.

If you want a more detailed proposal and project requirements and specifications document, you can reach me on WhatsApp- https:///2349054832238.

Thanks

Hello, are you on telegram?
Re: How Much It Cost To Build An App Like Uber Or Spotify by resosdigital(m): 7:44pm On Mar 18, 2019
davinchecodes:

Hello, are you on telegram?

Yes.

https:///resosdigital
Re: How Much It Cost To Build An App Like Uber Or Spotify by kiddie(m): 4:20am On Mar 23, 2019
resosdigital:

Hmmmm!!
it does "golang . org/x/net/websocket"
Re: How Much It Cost To Build An App Like Uber Or Spotify by micodon(m): 11:54am On Mar 23, 2019
kiddie:

I just didn't want to bring it up. Let him bask in the euphoria of his PHP
Re: How Much It Cost To Build An App Like Uber Or Spotify by resosdigital(m): 12:15pm On Mar 23, 2019
kiddie:

yes it does with very limited features and even the documentation itself recommends the gorilla package I mentioned earlier

Re: How Much It Cost To Build An App Like Uber Or Spotify by micodon(m): 5:17pm On Mar 23, 2019
resosdigital:
yes it does with very limited features and even the documentation itself recommends the gorilla package I mentioned earlier

So?
Re: How Much It Cost To Build An App Like Uber Or Spotify by Lmaomen1(m): 12:30pm On Mar 20, 2020
It is difficult to name the exact cost of such applications. There are many nuances that need to be taken into account. Although earlier I think such an application would have been very expensive. Currently, writing such applications has become much easier due to the low-code platform. She reduces the amount of code by 80%. This greatly simplifies working with code and makes it easier to write it. This may also be suitable for those who are developing a mobile app and are tired of having a large amount of code. The functionality is actually much more and I think everyone can find help for themselves there

1 Like

Re: How Much It Cost To Build An App Like Uber Or Spotify by MeetWagon: 9:03pm On Mar 20, 2020
Lmaomen1:
It is difficult to name the exact cost of such applications. There are many nuances that need to be taken into account. Although earlier I think such an application would have been very expensive. Currently, writing such applications has become much easier due to the low-code platform. She reduces the amount of code by 80%. This greatly simplifies working with code and makes it easier to write it. This may also be suitable for those who are developing a mobile app and are tired of having a large amount of code. The functionality is actually much more and I think everyone can find help for themselves there
Have you tried building an app with low code app development platforma?
Re: How Much It Cost To Build An App Like Uber Or Spotify by MezieFresh: 9:45am On Mar 21, 2020
resosdigital:

As a UI, UX and full stack web and mobile developer I can handle this project for you and would charge 200k for the completed design and development.

If you want a more detailed proposal and project requirements and specifications document, you can reach me on WhatsApp- https:///2349054832238.

Thanks

Nice comment..

1.How long have your been doing the 4 skills you mentioned?

2. Which of the 4 is your strongest points.

3. I feel 200k is quiet small... Probably because you are handling everything, and might skip some processes to make the work faster. Because, if you have 3 person's taking each role.. It should be well above this I believe..

Lastly, For someone who wants to start Mobile App development (android and iOS) what language do you recommend..

I heard flutter is the in thing now.

Thanks.
Re: How Much It Cost To Build An App Like Uber Or Spotify by zion32(m): 12:00am On Mar 22, 2020
Damn, build an Uber like app for 200k? That is impossible. Yes I said it. It is either you don't know what you are talking about or you just want to scam the client. If you know what is going on under the hood you wouldn't even think about it plus a single developer can't build Uber like app in reasonable time. It takes a massive team of developers with varying specialization to accomplish. Uber is not app app you will be doing select * from taxi where status is = available.

3 Likes

Re: How Much It Cost To Build An App Like Uber Or Spotify by vectochizu: 4:19am On Apr 15, 2020
200k for an app similar too uber lol. U would still end up paying another programmer to fix d copy & past errors of d guy charging 200k
Re: How Much It Cost To Build An App Like Uber Or Spotify by Yupng: 4:33pm On Apr 18, 2020
200k for uber like app, including UI/UX design? That is around 500 USD?

Is either you are not a developer or a junior dev. Like seriously?

OP if you give this project to this person, you will certainly regret it. Even that money won't get you a clean professional UI/UX design.

The Spotify/uber app in nigerian standard, wont cost you less than a 1 million naira and that is if you employ the service of an average software engineer.

Do you know the complexity of such app and the time frame it will take to complete.
*ui/ux
*database setup and configuration
*backend service
*frontend - web
*mobile app - Android and ios

Unless you want a poorly design and bug filled app (like most nigeria developed app in the playstore)

resosdigital:
Before developing any kind of app or software you would first need a plan as in essence what you are building is a new business.

So, I would assume you have that part covered and just want consultations on the development part of it.

The first step in building a kind of enterprise app like uber or spotify is UI and UX design.

This is important as your app will be used by thousands of people, your Ui design needs to be clean and easy to use.

Focus also needs to be given to the UX design as the success of the app will be largely depended on its usage the user experience needs to world class in order to encourage users to keep coming back.

It is recommend that UI and UX work be done by a good designer in Adobe XD or similar UI design software.

After the designs must have been completed and approved, the next step involves transforming the designs to usable frontend components. This involves exporting the design assets and coding up the frontend part of the app.

This will he done in whatever framework you decide to use to build your app. (I recommend and use ionic).

After the frontend components are completed and you basically have a kinda usable prototype of the app, then comes the backend development.

There are lots of options available to choose from with the rise if MBAAS in recent time but I would recommend you build out your backend yourself.

The backend development involves implementing all the business logic of the app and also building all necessary APIs to be used.

I recommend and use laravel and lumen for all backend services and hosting on a cloud server.(digital ocean is recommended).

After the backend is developed and everything wired together, your app should be ready for launch.

Also note that within the first 3 months, lots of changes might be needed as you begin getting feedback from your users and discovering what works, what features they like and want etc.

Development time could stretch from between 40days to 90days though more detailed development schedule would be developed when a detail project requirements is presented.

Thanks

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

An Introduction To Programming Using C / Lets Learn C / How Do You Get A CEH / Pentesting Job In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.