Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,238 members, 7,818,799 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:14 AM

Why I Didn't Commit Suicide- UNIBEN Graduating Student - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Why I Didn't Commit Suicide- UNIBEN Graduating Student (440 Views)

Ubi Franklin: I Wanted To Commit Suicide On April 2017 After My Photoshoot / Blessing Okoro: I Will Commit Suicide, I Rather Die Than Face This Shame / BBNaija Winner Vs Best Graduating Student With 1st Class From UNN (PHOTO) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Why I Didn't Commit Suicide- UNIBEN Graduating Student by CampusPressNG: 5:00pm On Mar 16, 2019
A survivor of depression and suicide contemplation, Emmanuel Oluwasayomi Ahmadu, popularly known as Mr Voiceover, who is an international award winning graduating student of University of Benin, has charged those passing through difficult situation to remain calm and forget suicide thoughts, stressing that suicide can never be a solution to current predicament.
Emmanuel, whose inspiring story on how he wrote O'Level examinations 17 times went viral on the internet, stated that every problem has solutions and suicidal thought is not the best approach in tackling seemingly difficult situation, revealed this while having a chat with our correspondence on the need to tackle the upsurge of depression and suicide in Nigeria through mental health awareness.
“No matter how much pain you’re experiencing right now, you’re not alone. Some of the finest, most admired, needed, and talented people have been where you are now. Many of us have thought about taking our own lives when we’ve felt overwhelmed by depression and devoid of all hope. But the pain of depression can be treated and hope can be renewed. No matter what your situation, there are people who need you, places where you can make a difference, and experiences that can remind you that life is worth living. It takes real courage to face death and step back from the brink. You can use that courage to face life, to learn coping skills for overcoming depression, and for finding the strength to keep going.
“Remember, your emotions are not fixed, they are constantly changing. How you feel today may not be the same as how you felt yesterday or how you’ll feel tomorrow or next week. Your absence would create grief and anguish in the lives of friends and loved ones. There are many things you can still accomplish in your life. There are sights, sounds, and experiences in life that have the ability to delight and lift you, and that you would miss. Your ability to experience pleasurable emotions is equal to your ability to experience distressing emotions.”
While reacting to question on how to tackle depression and suicidal thoughts, he said the first step in coping with depression is share disturbing thoughts and open up to persons who can share in our burden. According to him, “It may be a family member, friend, therapist, member of the clergy, teacher, family doctor, coach, or an experienced counselor at the end of a helpline. Find someone you trust and let them know how bad things are. Don’t let fear, shame, or embarrassment prevent you from seeking help. And if the first person you reach out to doesn’t seem to understand, try someone else. Just talking about how you got to this point in your life can release a lot of the pressure that’s building up and help you find a way to cope.”
He further revealed his plans and that of his Non-Governmental Organization, Mr Voiceover Mentorship Initiative to organize Community Mental Health Awareness And Sensitization Programme in the six geo-political zones of Nigeria in order to share his inspiring stories and motivate depressed youth, while urging government, well-meaning Nigerians and organizations to support his vision on reducing the rate of suicide in Nigeria, by 50 percent.

Re: Why I Didn't Commit Suicide- UNIBEN Graduating Student by harkandey(m): 5:21pm On Mar 16, 2019
ye that's correct, suicide is not the solution to any problem.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Simi Officially Bans Yahoo Boys From Buying And Listening To Her Music / Ex BBN Housemate Ifu Ennada Launches ‘5 Million A Day’ Initiative / Rick Ross Hopped On The Remix To Yemi Alade's "Oh My Gosh"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.