Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,639 members, 7,801,853 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 02:07 AM

Sharing Printer On A Lan - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Sharing Printer On A Lan (1079 Views)

How Do I Installe A Printer On A Laptop Without The Printer Cd? / How To Hack Wireless/lan Networks / Plz: Help Me Setup A Lan Of 10pcs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sharing Printer On A Lan by aadewale(m): 10:12pm On Apr 26, 2007
Hi All,

I have a printer and about 10 computers. The printer is directly connected to one of the computers and the computers are all connected to a switch on the LAN.

Can somebody please tell me how I can make the systems share the printer and see each other,

Some of the ststems have XP pro. whike some have Windows 2000.

Thanks for your expected response.
Re: Sharing Printer On A Lan by Ynot(m): 10:37pm On Apr 26, 2007
To share a printer on a LAN, do the following:

on the computer directly connected to the printer:
[list]
[li]Click Start -> Control Panel -> Printers And Other Hardware -> Printers And Faxes. [/li]
[li]Click the printer you wish to share. (You must've installed the printer driver here)[/li]
[li]Click Share This Printer in the Task Pane. [/li]
[li]In the printer's Properties dialog, click the Sharing tab. [/li]
[li]Click Share Name and OK. [/li]

[/list]

Once a printer has been shared you can access it from other computers on the network. To do so:
[list]
[li]Click Start -> Control Panel -> Printers And Other Hardware.  [/li]
[li]Click Add A Printer. [/li]
[li]In the Add New Printer wizard, when asked whether the printer is a local or network printer, select the latter. [/li]
[li]In the next screen, select the option to Browse For A Printer and click Next. [/li]
[li]Select the appropriate printer from the list and continue with the wizard. [/li]
[/list]

Don't forget to print a test page to verify your config.
Re: Sharing Printer On A Lan by buddie(m): 8:20pm On Apr 28, 2007
Contract it out,i would be willing to help at a token, what he said earlier sounds easy but you might end up mot seeing all the computers on your network, call me on 08034087776 wink
Re: Sharing Printer On A Lan by Maleeq(m): 2:23pm On Apr 29, 2007
Ynot's solution would SURELY work!
Re: Sharing Printer On A Lan by aadewale(m): 5:58pm On Apr 29, 2007
thanks ynot,

i actually followes thesteps u gave me. i was able to share the printer, but when igot to adding the printer on the other computers, i got stuck after browsing for the printer.

i use printer1 as the printer name. but each time i type it in the dialog box, it tells me that the name specified is wrong.

do i have to install a driver on the clients machine. Windows automatically detected the printer to which itwas attached, so i wont say i have a driver installed on the server.

what do u think i should do?

thanks
Re: Sharing Printer On A Lan by Maleeq(m): 8:33pm On Apr 29, 2007
@aadewale

No, you just don't put in the printer's name, you have to specify which system the printer is locally connected to.

Say the printer is connected to a system named "SYS1", follow these steps on the client systems

- Click Start -> Control Panel -> Printers And Other Hardware.
- Click Add A Printer.
- In the Add New Printer wizard, when asked whether the printer is a local or network printer, select the latter.
- In the next screen this time, select "Connect to this printer then click next.
- In the space for "printer", type in : \\SYS1\printer name, click on next
- You should then get a confirmation warning you that you are about to connect to a network printer.

Don't worry about installing the drivers on the client systems, performing the above steps would automatically install the necessary driver.
Re: Sharing Printer On A Lan by sbucareer(f): 8:56pm On Apr 29, 2007

Also remember that your network configured with a window WORKGROUP can ONLY see 10 computers. If you plan to run more than 10 computers you would need to configure them as a domain, hence you would need a server.

Follow Ynot advice you cannot go wrong. Good luck.

You also do not really need to share it if you do not want to follow Ynot good advice. If you are networked with a router then follow this

In the section of the configuration that has the psci7a.wellesley.edu, put the IP address of the printer. You must know the IP of your printer.

Note, this can only work if your printer is connected to your router through RJ-45

(1) (Reply)

Free Sun Solaris Software Dvd Kit / Acer Aspire 5100-5033 15.4" Wxga Laptop, Amd Turion 64 X2 Mobile Tech: 89k / Any Pc And Laptop Problems

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.