Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,766 members, 7,824,214 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 05:03 AM

A Hotel Or An Hotel, Which One Is Correct? - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / A Hotel Or An Hotel, Which One Is Correct? (42166 Views)

Offhand Or Offhead Which Is Correct / Which Of These Is Correct? / “I Am In The Bus” Or “I Am On The Bus”: Which Is Correct? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Hotel Or An Hotel, Which One Is Correct? by Ebusu01: 3:33pm On Mar 20, 2019
The guy above has said it all
Re: A Hotel Or An Hotel, Which One Is Correct? by nextstep(m): 4:30pm On Mar 20, 2019
collitexnaira:
A Hotel is correct
The word Hotel starts with a consonant letter H. That is why A Hotel is correct not An Hotel

So do the words Hour, Honour, Honest, Historic, etc. but it's incorrect to say "a hour" or "a honour", isn't it.

The rule on 'a' vs. 'an' depends on how the word is pronounced, not necessarily on how it's spelled, though the preference changes over the generations. I'd say about 80% of the English-speaking world pronounces Hotel with the "H", and about 20% leaves off the "H" and pronounce it like the French: otel.

Honest and Historic are other words where the "H" is not always pronounced, leading to phrases like "An honest person" or "An historic moment".

CaptainFM1:
How about "An house"? Sure, you got it now.

In this case, there's no ambiguity, because the H in House is (AFAIK) always pronounced, like Hair, Hand, Happy, unless the speaker's first language is Yoruba or they're from parts of Britain, where you hear things like "take my 'and and come to my 'ouse", or "'ere, 'oo's making all at noise at this 'our?", or "and 'e's gonna let my 'ouse for the monf?"
Re: A Hotel Or An Hotel, Which One Is Correct? by Nobody: 4:48pm On Mar 20, 2019
Chipink:

Daalu cheesy
chai! Ezigbo nwa,e ga di we bulu nwunye nnukwu ogalanya...ise! Daalu rinne

1 Like

Re: A Hotel Or An Hotel, Which One Is Correct? by FlintGuevara(m): 11:52am On Mar 22, 2019
ehissi:

Justice Olatoregun should go and collect learners permit from Justice Abang in that regard....... grin

Justice Abang keeps lawyers on their toe at all times. I have appeared before him in Asaba and his Court was quite sober the day I appeared before him. His reputation must have made Lawyers in court to come prepared. And he's now here in Abuja with us, he now presides over Justice Dimgba's former court.
Olatoregun is a sound judge, but man... you don't want to make a mistake in her court or say something that doesn't sit right with her. She will tear you to shreds and leave your day in smithereens.
Re: A Hotel Or An Hotel, Which One Is Correct? by FlintGuevara(m): 11:58am On Mar 22, 2019
fine4life:

I suppose you are a lawyer to know the Hon. Justice Olatoregun and I wish to say that it's not good to call names in the name of trying to create a joke, especially on a platform like Nairaland. Please be properly guided.

I'm still lost on the drive of your chastisement. I only stated a notorious fact. Is what I said a desecration of her Court? I look forward to your educating me on how my statement above amounted to a joke.
Re: A Hotel Or An Hotel, Which One Is Correct? by Ufedolove: 4:52pm On Mar 22, 2019
Komu1048:

I'm more interested in your name Ufedo meaning love in Igala. If you are Igala please reply...

Yes bro, I am Igala. I'm sorry for the late reply. Wasn't expecting this on the front page

1 Like

Re: A Hotel Or An Hotel, Which One Is Correct? by Ufedolove: 8:33am On Mar 23, 2019
Re: A Hotel Or An Hotel, Which One Is Correct? by Ufedolove: 8:35am On Mar 23, 2019
xpizzy:

In response to the bolded, I strongly disagree, in this part of the world, we have been taught about vowels and consonants instead of Vowel sounds or consonant sounds. This is why University carries "a" and not "an" despite starting with a vowel. This is because the "You" sounds in University is a consonant sound.

So the rule to "a" or "an" is applicable to sounds not necessarily the alphabet that starts the word. For Instance, you can say "An SMS" this is because SMS carries "ES" sound.

What you explained is explained immediately after the bolded texts. Thanks
Re: A Hotel Or An Hotel, Which One Is Correct? by Goddyj(m): 10:31am On Mar 24, 2019
Actually, what determines where you use 'A' and where use 'An' is not really the letter that starts the words(Noun).
It's the sound (oral pronunciation) of the words that matters.

For example, 'Honest' is pronounced as 'Onest', the 'H' being silent.
In that case, the word 'honest' begins with a vowel sound; therefore, you say 'An honest man', not 'A honest man'.

In the case of 'Hotel', it begins with 'H'-sound, which is a consonant sound. So, it's 'A hotel'.

So always look out for the 'oral' pronunciation of the words; that's what matters. Thanks
Re: A Hotel Or An Hotel, Which One Is Correct? by fine4life: 3:02pm On Mar 30, 2019
There's nothing suggesting chastisement in what I said Sir. Assuming but not conceding that what stated is a notorious fact, at least, as a minister in the temple of justice, certain things are best left unsaid sometimes, partly because of the audience and partly because of the context also.
FlintGuevara:

I'm still lost on the drive of your chastisement. I only stated a notorious fact. Is what I said a desecration of her Court? I look forward to your educating me on how my statement above amounted to a joke.
Re: A Hotel Or An Hotel, Which One Is Correct? by SamySamy123: 8:45am On Sep 20, 2021
Okay guys! I think you should check out the article below for a clearer and better understanding of those phrases.

Here is the answer: https://bscholarly.com/a-hotel-or-an-hotel-which-is-correct-answered/

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

JAMB: Between The Conservative North & The Chest-Beating South - Reno Omokri / Viral Question Unibadan Lecturer Asked His Students During Examinations / COVID-19 Lockdown: 500 Secondary School Students Pregnant In Benin

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.