Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,426 members, 7,812,256 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:48 AM

Governorship Re-run: Tension Mounts As Court Decides Adamawa, Bauchi Fate Today - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Governorship Re-run: Tension Mounts As Court Decides Adamawa, Bauchi Fate Today (10976 Views)

May 29: Anxiety As Supreme Court Decides Tinubu-Shettima’s Fate / Police Speak As Supreme Court Decides Adeleke, Oyetola’s Fate Tomorrow / Ambode Picks Governorship Re-Election Form (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Governorship Re-run: Tension Mounts As Court Decides Adamawa, Bauchi Fate Today by richidinho(m): 7:31am On Mar 21, 2019
There is tension ahead of Saturday’s governorship re-run in Adamawa state following the order of a Yola High Court restraining the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) from conducting the polls.

The same scenario is playing out in Bauchi, where the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) and the state governor, Barr Mohammed Abdullahi Abubakar, have gone to an Abuja High Court to stop the collation and announcement of results of the election conducted in Tafawa Balewa local government area of the state over issues of electoral malpractices.

In the case of Adamawa, a Yola High Court presided over by Justice Abdulazeez Waziri, last week restrained INEC from going ahead with the re-run.

This followed a suit filed by the governorship candidate of the Movement for Restoration and Defence of Democracy (MRDD), Rev Eric Dollars over the omission of his party logo in the March 9, 2019 governorship election.

The electoral umpire had initially dismissed the court order and vowed to go ahead with the election as planned before it reversed its decision to honour the court judgement.

The governorship re-run is supposed to hold in 44 polling units across 13 local government areas of the state but the court halted INEC from the exercise.

Addressing journalists Wednesday at INEC office in Yola, the state Resident Electoral Commissioner, Barr Kashim Geidam, said the commission had been served with a court order restraining it from going ahead with the re-run. He explained that, as a law abiding institution, the Commission was ready to comply with the court order, which fixed today (Thursday) for hearing of the substantive suit filed by MRDD candidate in the exercise.

According to him, the issue of whether the re-run would hold this Saturday as scheduled will depend on the outcome of today’s hearing.

He said INEC would be fully represented in court by a senior advocate of Nigeria (SAN) among its other legal team.

He said the necessary materials for the re-run election have been kept in the custody of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), stating that should the court uphold INEC’s time-table for the election, security and logistics arrangements had been put in place for the exercise.

Geidam, however, said the court order does not affect the House of Assembly election in Nasarawo/Binyeri constituency of Mayo Belwa local government, which was postponed due to the death of the APC candidate; as well as that of Uba/Gaya constituency in Hong local government, which was declared inconclusive in the last exercise.

Meanwhile, a Federal High Court in Abuja Wednesday adjourned the hearing of the substantive suit filed by the All Progressives Congress (APC) and the governor of Bauchi state, Muhammed Abubakar, to March 21.

Although an appeal had been made by the counsel to the APC, Ahmed Raji, that he needed time to reply the preliminary objection and a counter affidavit served it by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC).

The judge, Inyang Ekwo, had granted an interim injunction restraining INEC from resuming, concluding and announcing the governorship election result in the state, pending the determination of all issues raised by the plaintiffs in their originating summons.

The plaintiffs in the suit are challenging the decision of INEC to resume collation of results of an election that was earlier declared inconclusive.

Similar news Anambra State govt vows to seal fuel stations operating cooking gas
Meanwhile, the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) has appeared in court seeking to be joined in the suit as an interested and affected party.

The PDP also petitioned the National Judicial Council over what it described as a violation of the Constitution and Electoral Act by Ekwo of the Federal High Court, Abuja.

In a statement issued by its National Publicity Secretary, Kola Ologbondiyan, Wednesday, the party accused the judge of sitting on a matter that ought to have been handled by an election petition tribunal, as created by the provisions of the law.

Earlier, Justice Ekwo had ordered INEC not to go ahead with its planned collation, conclusion and announcement of the results of the March 9 Bauchi state governorship elections.

The order was based on an ex–parte application filed by the All Progressives Congress (APC) and the incumbent governor.

The court held that the restraining order is to last till the determination of the suit brought before the court by the two parties.

https://www.blueprint.ng/govship-re-run-tension-mounts-as-court-decides-adamawa-bauchi-fate/

1 Like

Re: Governorship Re-run: Tension Mounts As Court Decides Adamawa, Bauchi Fate Today by Wizygreat12: 7:32am On Mar 21, 2019
"Men Are Very Kind And Women
Are Very Selfish..
Proof
Most Women Dont Like To Help
Unknown Men
But
All Men Are Ready Anytime To Help
Unknown Women...!"

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Governorship Re-run: Tension Mounts As Court Decides Adamawa, Bauchi Fate Today by richidinho(m): 7:36am On Mar 21, 2019
lalasticlala
Re: Governorship Re-run: Tension Mounts As Court Decides Adamawa, Bauchi Fate Today by slivertongue: 7:41am On Mar 21, 2019
the judiciary is going beyond her brief. dey are doing everything to give APC victory when the people has rejected them

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Governorship Re-run: Tension Mounts As Court Decides Adamawa, Bauchi Fate Today by aolawale025: 8:00am On Mar 21, 2019
The law is very clear. Electoral act section 87
In fact inconclusive elections may be unconstitutional

4 Likes

Re: Governorship Re-run: Tension Mounts As Court Decides Adamawa, Bauchi Fate Today by sammyj: 9:26am On Mar 21, 2019
The judiciary must ensure justice is properly served whether for APC or PDP for the sake of our democracy!!

3 Likes

Re: Governorship Re-run: Tension Mounts As Court Decides Adamawa, Bauchi Fate Today by Yinxies(f): 9:26am On Mar 21, 2019
Stand out in boldness with your Business! Get our Starter Pack for N7,000 only; including Logo, letterhead and business card designs. zero eight zero six six four five two zero six seven
Re: Governorship Re-run: Tension Mounts As Court Decides Adamawa, Bauchi Fate Today by Opinedecandid(m): 9:27am On Mar 21, 2019
Court, be warned.
You are not greater than the people.
As a wise man once said,
"The power out the people is greater than the people in power"

2 Likes

Re: Governorship Re-run: Tension Mounts As Court Decides Adamawa, Bauchi Fate Today by Mopolchi: 9:27am On Mar 21, 2019
There is nothing like inconclusive election in the law of Nigeria angry
Re: Governorship Re-run: Tension Mounts As Court Decides Adamawa, Bauchi Fate Today by teebaxy(m): 9:29am On Mar 21, 2019
Tension only in d camp of wicked party aka Apc
Re: Governorship Re-run: Tension Mounts As Court Decides Adamawa, Bauchi Fate Today by BubuZombi: 9:31am On Mar 21, 2019
In as much as I don't like inconclusive, that doesn't stop me from liking the fact that its PDP that is suffering from incredibility....

Since 1999 to 2011, PDP has not won any Credible Elections in this country... They are reaping what they sow...
Re: Governorship Re-run: Tension Mounts As Court Decides Adamawa, Bauchi Fate Today by Foodforthought: 9:31am On Mar 21, 2019
Mahmood Inconclusive Yakubu. Yeye people
Re: Governorship Re-run: Tension Mounts As Court Decides Adamawa, Bauchi Fate Today by fikiman7000(m): 9:31am On Mar 21, 2019
My take is that the judiciary should stop hindering inec from performing their duty,as why will a court tell inec that they should not conduct election seff,its like telling the legislature not to make laws and inec on its part should be fair to all parties abi why will they remove the logo of a party if they even fair in the first place?
Re: Governorship Re-run: Tension Mounts As Court Decides Adamawa, Bauchi Fate Today by jlinkd78(m): 9:32am On Mar 21, 2019
H
Re: Governorship Re-run: Tension Mounts As Court Decides Adamawa, Bauchi Fate Today by Hotzone(m): 9:34am On Mar 21, 2019
Manhood yakubu has even turned Nigeria into a state inconclusiveness
Re: Governorship Re-run: Tension Mounts As Court Decides Adamawa, Bauchi Fate Today by haconjy(m): 9:36am On Mar 21, 2019
Why tension? We know who will win... PDP
Re: Governorship Re-run: Tension Mounts As Court Decides Adamawa, Bauchi Fate Today by bugggg: 9:38am On Mar 21, 2019
I hope they do it right... according to Charles Maurice de Talleyrand "A court these days is an assembly of noble and distinguished beggars."
Re: Governorship Re-run: Tension Mounts As Court Decides Adamawa, Bauchi Fate Today by Onyinye15(f): 9:49am On Mar 21, 2019
Can I make a wish??

Its my birthday Nairalanders
Re: Governorship Re-run: Tension Mounts As Court Decides Adamawa, Bauchi Fate Today by emmaak2(m): 9:53am On Mar 21, 2019
Even if Satan should stand an election against Jesus, people will still head the campaign team. Reasons may vary, ranging from;
* wanting to have a name and gaining popularity.
*so that if Satan wins or loses, they won't be beaten or stressed too much again in the furnace (cartel or cafa favour)
* wanting power to change hand, not even considering the credibility status of the contenders.
* just so that it will pain Jesus.
*just to prove a point and their political power and strength.
Don't be surprise, people think differently and you shouldn't expect everyone to head the same path.
The above listed factors are what we see in the contemporary politics and it shouldn't shock you.
FEAR HUMANS....
Re: Governorship Re-run: Tension Mounts As Court Decides Adamawa, Bauchi Fate Today by LANDLORD72: 10:02am On Mar 21, 2019
Apc government full of inconclusive in other to rig elections just like what they did in osun state.
Re: Governorship Re-run: Tension Mounts As Court Decides Adamawa, Bauchi Fate Today by OGHENAOGIE(m): 10:04am On Mar 21, 2019
BubuZombi:
In as much as I don't like inconclusive, that doesn't stop me from liking the fact that its PDP that is suffering from incredibility....

Since 1999 to 2011, PDP has not won any Credible Elections in this country... They are reaping what they sow...
you are sick upstairs....pdp has not credible how did de win oyo and now leadin In adamawa bauchi etc...take a nap so ur brain can reset itself

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Governorship Re-run: Tension Mounts As Court Decides Adamawa, Bauchi Fate Today by dukie25: 10:09am On Mar 21, 2019
APC is playing with fire.
Re: Governorship Re-run: Tension Mounts As Court Decides Adamawa, Bauchi Fate Today by BubuZombi: 10:55am On Mar 21, 2019
OGHENAOGIE:
you are sick upstairs....pdp has not credible how did de win oyo and now leadin In adamawa bauchi etc...take a nap so ur brain can reset itself

You just woke up from sleep and jump into my issue without brushing your gutter (mouth). Read my comment words by words again n understand what I wrote before opening your Stinky mouth On my mention

1 Like

Re: Governorship Re-run: Tension Mounts As Court Decides Adamawa, Bauchi Fate Today by MobilityExpress: 10:58am On Mar 21, 2019
With all these legal political battles, many lawyers and judges will buy houses in Banana Island and Garki grin. I wish I were an electoral lawyer right now grin
Re: Governorship Re-run: Tension Mounts As Court Decides Adamawa, Bauchi Fate Today by OGHENAOGIE(m): 11:44am On Mar 21, 2019
BubuZombi:

You just woke up from sleep and jump into my issue without brushing your gutter (mouth). Read my comment words by words again n understand what I wrote before opening your Stinky mouth On my mention
I can see u are becoming schizophrenic...nonsense and ingredients
Re: Governorship Re-run: Tension Mounts As Court Decides Adamawa, Bauchi Fate Today by BubuZombi: 12:43pm On Mar 21, 2019
OGHENAOGIE:
I can see u are becoming schizophrenic...nonsense and ingredients

...that is why you stink

(1) (Reply)

Tunji Bello: Support Tinubu In His Progressive Drive / Crowd Hails President Buhari & Tinubu As They Enter Bauchi Rally Venue (Video) / N22.7trn Ways And Means: Crisis Brews In Reps Over $15m Executive Largesse

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.