Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,194 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:19 AM

See What Happens When An Airplane Runs Out Of Fuel Mid-Air (Photos) - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / See What Happens When An Airplane Runs Out Of Fuel Mid-Air (Photos) (68844 Views)

U.S $80m F-35 Fighter Jet Vanishes From Air (Photos) / Airplane Runs Into Ditch During Takeoff In Lagos / Meet Nwando Phina Okpaleke The Airpeace Pilot Who Landed An Airplane In Anambra (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: See What Happens When An Airplane Runs Out Of Fuel Mid-Air (Photos) by Nobody: 8:59am On Mar 22, 2019
abumeinben:

Of course I can relate. Ship floats on warra.... Mayday mayday planes can be made to float too.

there are amphibious planes. What you suggested is not entirely impossible, fixing a plane with parachute.
Sience has stages. I'm sure most plane makers already have the design but it may need lots of process before it can be approved and when the time is right, they will
Re: See What Happens When An Airplane Runs Out Of Fuel Mid-Air (Photos) by AbdulHakeem44(m): 9:04am On Mar 22, 2019
MrBrownJay1:

its very simple: full tank will mean the plane being heavier thus needing more fuel to carry the plane from point A to B (since it would be heavier).... so instead they use just the fuel they need (with just extra for bad weather etc).
Are you really sure of this your answer. I think the reason aircrafts are not loaded with full tank with fuel is because of landing problem which the aviation technology is gradually overcoming. When a plane is filled with fuel and the plane is on a short distance journey, the plane will still be above the minimum landing weight, that is the weight is bigger for the plane to land on, therefore the plane has to waste fuel or land it above it's landing weight which may cause damage to the plan. Also for safety issues, should any little crash occurs, too much fuel in plane may result to inferno.

1 Like

Re: See What Happens When An Airplane Runs Out Of Fuel Mid-Air (Photos) by AbdulHakeem44(m): 9:12am On Mar 22, 2019
TheMainMan:
I saw this episode on national geographic last year... it was a miraculous landing

the place they landed was once a runway where the pilot was trained but was later converted for sport racing

the front tire that busted actually helped created the necessary friction needed for the plane to stop because it would have been another story entirely if the tire didn't coz it was moving at a very high speed and would have crashed into something

what i don't understand was why the pilot was blamed despite the way he successfully manoeuvre a plane with both engines lost to land. undecided undecided undecided

kudos to the two pilot especially the captain

He might be the cause of such misfortune, pilots make mistakes at times.
Re: See What Happens When An Airplane Runs Out Of Fuel Mid-Air (Photos) by mechanics(m): 9:16am On Mar 22, 2019
Interesting.
Re: See What Happens When An Airplane Runs Out Of Fuel Mid-Air (Photos) by Sluvist(m): 9:16am On Mar 22, 2019
Thank God say i no send.
Re: See What Happens When An Airplane Runs Out Of Fuel Mid-Air (Photos) by omojesu202(m): 9:17am On Mar 22, 2019
shugabasbn:
Tor, make the plane no try am when I dey inside over pacific or Atlantic ocean. Abeg

if e try am, Wetin go happen? even people that are close to you will move on n start fukking after 1 week.
Re: See What Happens When An Airplane Runs Out Of Fuel Mid-Air (Photos) by Nobody: 9:29am On Mar 22, 2019
uuzba:

Buy Data now, go on Youtube and search for
Car Accident ....
The number of Developed countries "Recorded Dashcam" accidents that you will see....
Re: See What Happens When An Airplane Runs Out Of Fuel Mid-Air (Photos) by Neoteny(m): 9:48am On Mar 22, 2019
martineverest:
these people are making me scared of entering planes

Don't be scared, planes remain the safest mode of transportation.

Because accidents rarely happen, when they do it becomes big news.

Use Flightradar24 to see the the thousands upon thousands of aircraft in the air, and they all takeoff and land successfully.

Aircraft engines are extremely reliable, the airline business is the most regulated, and the crew are among the most trained and experienced, and the the technology and principles of flight are well developed.

1 Like

Re: See What Happens When An Airplane Runs Out Of Fuel Mid-Air (Photos) by martineverest(m): 9:52am On Mar 22, 2019
Neoteny:

Don't be scared, planes remain the safest mode of transportation.

Because accidents rarely happen, when they do it becomes big news.

Use Flightradar24 to see the the thousands upon thousands of aircraft in the air, and they all takeoff and land successfully.

Aircraft engines are extremely reliable, the airline business is the most regulated, and the crew are among the most trained and experienced, and the the technology and principles of flight are well developed.
thanks

1 Like

Re: See What Happens When An Airplane Runs Out Of Fuel Mid-Air (Photos) by SeeMeForLAPTOP: 9:52am On Mar 22, 2019
iSlayer2:

Not if they're light years ahead of you.
you did not get the sarcasm
Re: See What Happens When An Airplane Runs Out Of Fuel Mid-Air (Photos) by Praisesongz: 9:53am On Mar 22, 2019
superlanny:
I understand boys like you, you must have had it tough during your childhood, cause only an slowpoke, with a very low IQ can be behind that keyboard. I wish you well tho.
shut up idiot you no get sense u still Dey brag
Re: See What Happens When An Airplane Runs Out Of Fuel Mid-Air (Photos) by Nobody: 10:05am On Mar 22, 2019
decatalyst:
Ah! Will I fly in a plane?

I cannor gamble my life on these half trained pilots and miss measurements of fuel biko

So, u don't want 2 ever leave d shore of Naija - or what 're u saying?
Re: See What Happens When An Airplane Runs Out Of Fuel Mid-Air (Photos) by mrkings84(m): 10:19am On Mar 22, 2019
In spite of whatever, I still prefer air travel to road.
Re: See What Happens When An Airplane Runs Out Of Fuel Mid-Air (Photos) by toplinetrtrend: 10:37am On Mar 22, 2019
decatalyst:
Ah! Will I fly in a plane?

I cannor gamble my life on these half trained pilots and miss measurements of fuel biko

it happened in the 1980s
Re: See What Happens When An Airplane Runs Out Of Fuel Mid-Air (Photos) by Psoul(m): 10:52am On Mar 22, 2019
And they did exactly what they should have done — except they got the labels wrong. Instead of figuring out how many liters the plane needed to hit the required payload of 22,300 kg, the crew calculated how many liters were needed to hit 22,300 pounds.

Instead of 22,300 kg (27,770 L) of fuel, they had 22,300 pounds (12,598 L) on board — 10,100 kg, about half the amount required to reach their destination.

These are bunch of careless and non-proactive people. So if I am traveling and I knw that 20litre of fuel will take me from my originating point to exactly my terminating point, I will just go to fuel station and buy just that same 20ltrs of fuel even when I have enough money and knowing full well that there won't be any other fuel station along my way?

Won't I think of if there will be traffic hold up or if something happens and I use alternative but longer route.

Mr. Poster, forget stories. If fuel finishes in an Airplane mid air and at a very high altitude, the plane will come down crashing. QED
Re: See What Happens When An Airplane Runs Out Of Fuel Mid-Air (Photos) by Nobody: 1:36pm On Mar 22, 2019
SeeMeForLAPTOP:
you did not get the sarcasm

I spotted failed sarcasm then decided it wasn't sarcasm you intended. It takes real wits. Do better.
Re: See What Happens When An Airplane Runs Out Of Fuel Mid-Air (Photos) by showafrica(m): 2:03pm On Mar 22, 2019
BuhariIsBURIED:
So how do they measure the quantity of fuel that would be enough for a journey say from Nigeria to Canada

It's simple topic in physics under projectiles. It has to do with mass, distance and gravity.
Re: See What Happens When An Airplane Runs Out Of Fuel Mid-Air (Photos) by abumeinben(m): 2:53pm On Mar 22, 2019
candlewax:

there are amphibious planes. What you suggested is not entirely impossible, fixing a plane with parachute.
Sience has stages. I'm sure most plane makers already have the design but it may need lots of process before it can be approved and when the time is right, they will

With all these incidents of late��️, I'm pretty sure consultants are working on it.
Re: See What Happens When An Airplane Runs Out Of Fuel Mid-Air (Photos) by Johnsainty(m): 7:57pm On Mar 22, 2019
Airplane is a no no!.... grin Ppl wey dey enter am get mind. I can't put my life in hands of a man. Its no way safe... any Bleep up na die. Humans should work on a safer mode of air transportation...Planes just look like toy...Its actually a toy.
Re: See What Happens When An Airplane Runs Out Of Fuel Mid-Air (Photos) by Konquest: 3:10am On Mar 23, 2019
fidalgo19:
Guess you will be wondering what happens to an airplane if fuel supply get depleted during flight way above the sky.
Airplanes don't just fall out of the sky if fuel supply finishes which causes the engine to shutdown. Airplanes can glide few miles with no engine powered on. If the airplane is high at altitude, Oxygen mask will drop off the cabin so people can breathe easily till the airplane descends a little.
When an airplane runs out of fuel the engines stop. The engines provide all the electric energy and hydraulic pressure needed for a flight, so the airplane just shutdown.

There are incidents which took place due to insufficient supply of fuel in an airplane.

Boeing 767 -233 of Air Canada also known as Gimli Glider pictured above successfully glided to emergency landing on a decommissioned runway in Gimli, Canada that had been converted to drag racing strip after losing it's whole fuel middle of the flight, the photo was taken July 23, 1983.

This was caused by a unit conversion error, Most of the world uses the metric system i.e. metres, liters etc. While a few countries e.g Liberia, Myanmar uses the imperial system of measurement i.e. gallons, pounds etc.

Canada was one of the latter countries until 1970 when the nation began to change over. Metrication (as it was called) took some time fifteen years and maybe even more. One of the industries to change over late in the process was the airline industry, which given the expense and longevity of the equipment makes sense. On July 23, 1983, Air Canada Flight 143 was one of the earlier flights using the new metric units.

Unfortunately, Air Canada was undergoing a second change at the same time — smaller flight crews. Typically, there were three core members of the crew — the pilot, the co-pilot, and a flight engineer. Flight 143, through, didn’t have a flight engineer; the pre-flight fueling protocol therefore fell to the pilots. That protocol required them to convert volume (liters) into mass (kilograms or pounds, depending on the system you use) in order to figure out how much fuel you need to add to your plane. And they did exactly what they should have done — except they got the labels wrong. Instead of figuring out how many liters the plane needed to hit the required payload of 22,300 kg, the crew calculated how many liters were needed to hit 22,300 pounds.

Instead of 22,300 kg (27,770 L) of fuel, they had 22,300 pounds (12,598 L) on board — 10,100 kg, about half the amount required to reach their destination.

Luckily, the pilot and co-pilot were better at the flying part than the math part of the job. The pilot already have ten years of glider training under his belt, and his co-pilot had trained at Gimli during his days with the Canadian Air Force — and therefore knew the surroundings quite well. Together, the pair were able to land the 767 — gliding the last 60 miles (100 km) — touching down just an hour or so before nightfall. The plane — the Gimli Glider, as it’d henceforth be known — suffered some damage to its nose and blew out some tires, as seen above, but the passengers were pretty much okay. Ten people suffered minor injuries but, miraculously, there were no fatalities.

The Aviation Safety Board of Canada reported that Air Canada management was responsible for "corporate and equipment deficiencies". Their report praised the flight and cabin crews for their "professionalism and skill". It noted that Air Canada "neglected to assign clearly and specifically the responsibility for calculating the fuel load in an abnormal situation."It further found that the airline had failed to reallocate the task of checking fuel load (which had been the responsibility of the flight engineer on older aircraft flown with a crew of three.) The safety board also said that Air Canada needed to keep more spare parts, including replacements for the defective fuel quantity indicator, in its maintenance inventory as well as provide better, more thorough training on the metric system to its pilots and fuelling personnel.

After almost 25 years of service, C-GAUN flew its last revenue flight on January 1, 2008. On January 24, 2008, the Gimli Glider took its final voyage, AC7067, from Montreal Trudeau to Tucson International Airport before flying to its retirement in the Mojave Desert in California

In April 2013, the Gimli Glider was offered for sale at auction, by a company called Collectable Cars, with an estimated price of CA$2.75–3 million. However, bidding only reached CA$425,000 and the lot was unsold.

According to a website dedicated to saving the aircraft, the Gimli Glider was scrapped in early 2014. Parts of the metal fuselage were made into luggage tags and are offered for sale by a California company, Moto Art.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gimli_Glider

Nice post... A battle between man and the flying machine! grin
Re: See What Happens When An Airplane Runs Out Of Fuel Mid-Air (Photos) by OyinbowithaTan(m): 4:41am On Mar 23, 2019
The Gimli Glider pilots probably did the best in flight engineering to land a plane with no fuel in the history of modern aviation.
Really amazing.
Re: See What Happens When An Airplane Runs Out Of Fuel Mid-Air (Photos) by tck2000(m): 8:26pm On Sep 08, 2019
abumeinben:
Edo Hairways always.

Where that pishor sef?

On a serious note, like someone wrote in one other thread, planes should have an emergency parachute that spend it in airport under distress. And this parachute should be capable of manual operation from the cockpit.
Yeah
Re: See What Happens When An Airplane Runs Out Of Fuel Mid-Air (Photos) by Kayharry(m): 12:35am On Nov 19, 2020
Re: See What Happens When An Airplane Runs Out Of Fuel Mid-Air (Photos) by SeeMeForLAPTOP: 3:09pm On Jan 25
IamProdigy:
smiley
Your business needs an identity!
Get one
nice one

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ibeno Beach, Akwa-ibom: Longest Sand Beach In West Africa! (pix inside) / Truck Moving Damaged Osinbajo's Helicopter Spoilt In Kogi (photos) / Onitsha Bridge On Christmas Day: Slowdog Shocked At What He Saw: Pics & Video

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.