Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,707 members, 7,809,687 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:10 PM

CBN Projects 3% GDP Growth In 2019 - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / CBN Projects 3% GDP Growth In 2019 (3183 Views)

Peter Obi: FG's GDP Growth Meaningless With Rising Poverty / Buhari Goofs On Reelection Date, GDP Growth Projection - The Cable / GDP Growth Rate Of West Africa, Nigeria Becomes Last On The List (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

CBN Projects 3% GDP Growth In 2019 by Onyemadonald(m): 6:12am On Mar 22, 2019
The Governor of Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), Mr. Godwin Emefiele, yesterday, projected that Nigeria’s Gross Domestic (GDP) growth will rise to 3% in 2019 as against 1.93% recorded in 2018.

Mr Emefiele, in a keynote address delivered at the BusinessDay Post-Election Economic Agenda conference in Lagos, also said the apex bank will maintain its tight monetary policy stance and stable exchange rate throughout the year. He stressed that the nation’s economic recovery has become self sustaining with the GDP expected to pick up in the first half of the current year.

According to him, The CBN expects inflation rate to rise to 12 percent and moderate downward thereafter owing to productivity gains in the agricultural and manufacturing sectors.
He, however, noted that the CBN would adjust the Monetary Policy Rate (MPC) in line with unfolding conditions and outlooks. Just as in the previous year, he said the apex bank would continue in its drive to ensure that the MPR rate is set to balance the objectives of price stability with output stabilization.

On the exchange rate policy, he said the CBN, in spite of expected pressures from the volatility in the crude oil markets, would maintain its stable exchange rate over the next year. “Gross stability is projected in the foreign exchange market, given increased oil production and contained import bill,” he noted.

The CBN governor expressed optimism that the country’s Balance of Payments (BoP) would remain positive in the short-term, Emefiele said that the current account balance could improve further if oil prices continued to recover. He assured that this would be “supported by improved non-oil performance as diversification efforts begin to yield results to reduce undue imports.”

SOURCE: https://www.trendingaccounting.com/2019/03/cbn-projects-3-gdp-growth-in-2019.html

Re: CBN Projects 3% GDP Growth In 2019 by nony43(m): 6:42am On Mar 22, 2019
We have been hearing this for the past four months
Re: CBN Projects 3% GDP Growth In 2019 by hisexcellency34: 6:44am On Mar 22, 2019
That dunce cap called Emefiele should go. Is Buhari under a spell?
Re: CBN Projects 3% GDP Growth In 2019 by 9jaRealist: 6:44am On Mar 22, 2019
FTC cool

Does this dude realize that he most likely has just a couple of months left in office?
Re: CBN Projects 3% GDP Growth In 2019 by jericco1(m): 6:47am On Mar 22, 2019
Optimism doesn't increase GDP. some of the economic strategy are no longer viable and are comatose

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN Projects 3% GDP Growth In 2019 by BigSarah(f): 6:47am On Mar 22, 2019
grin
Re: CBN Projects 3% GDP Growth In 2019 by contigiency(m): 6:48am On Mar 22, 2019
Very purposeful and consistent government, dealing and resolving the economic fundamentals that had for so long, held us back. At least one can understand our growth trajectory, unlike the vodoo and Eldorado economy being promised us by the other people from INEC server.

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: CBN Projects 3% GDP Growth In 2019 by naijapips04: 6:48am On Mar 22, 2019
hisexcellency34:
That dunce cap called Emefiele should go. Is Buhari under a spell?

dude they won't put a yoruba man there.
Re: CBN Projects 3% GDP Growth In 2019 by Ugosample(m): 6:51am On Mar 22, 2019
Which magic do you want to perform?
Re: CBN Projects 3% GDP Growth In 2019 by hisexcellency34: 6:53am On Mar 22, 2019
Are you mad? What's my own with Afonja becoming CBN Governor.

naijapips04:

dude they won't put a yoruba man there.

1 Like

Re: CBN Projects 3% GDP Growth In 2019 by labibro(m): 6:53am On Mar 22, 2019
I hope the projection will not just end as a keynote address.
Re: CBN Projects 3% GDP Growth In 2019 by Chinashopping84: 6:54am On Mar 22, 2019
Hope not only on paper.Government of trial and error.We pay your suppliers in china in RMB
Re: CBN Projects 3% GDP Growth In 2019 by contigiency(m): 6:56am On Mar 22, 2019
9jaRealist:
FTC cool

Does this dude realize that he most likely has just a couple of months left in office?

And so? So he should close CBN gates because he will soon leave office? Please CBN is not Emefiele and Emefiele is not CBN. Work continues from where he will stop.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: CBN Projects 3% GDP Growth In 2019 by lapazi(m): 6:57am On Mar 22, 2019
jericco1:
Optimism doesn't increase GDP. some of the economic strategy are no longer viable and are comatose

There are many different things that affect the GDP, such as interest rates, salaries, infrastructure investment, consumer confidense and even political instability. All of the factors can either be categorized as demand-side factors or supply-side factors.

Demand-side factors, such as interest rates can affect the spending power of customers. Lowering the interest rate decreases the rates on loans etc this leaves more spending money for families, where higher interest rates and tax can cut down on family expenditure. Consumer confidence directly affects how much people will spend or save. With the propose increase of minimum wage, it will affect GDP positively as inflation rate also decreases, people will likely to increase on their purchases and hence the damand factor comes to play.

Supply-side factors, such as the level of infrastructure development can affect how companies can supply their goods or services. Without good roads and communications, a company may not be able to be competitive.

At the center it is expected that with the continuation of the APC led govt, there will be political stability, this will invariably influence the growth of the economy.

Inother words, its a no-brainer. I will make a forcast of GDP at 2.50 at the end of 2019 at the list. When the rail projects are completed all over the country, this figure will rise gradually.

So oga stay positive, things are looking up!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN Projects 3% GDP Growth In 2019 by greatiyk4u(m): 7:01am On Mar 22, 2019
lapazi:

There are many different things that affect the GDP, such as interest rates, salaries, infrastructure investment, consumer confidense and even political instability. All of the factors can either be categorized as demand-side factors or supply-side factors.

Demand-side factors, such as interest rates can affect the spending power of customers. Lowering the interest rate decreases the rates on loans etc this leaves more spending money for families, where higher interest rates and tax can cut down on family expenditure. Consumer confidence directly affects how much people will spend or save. With the propose increase of minimum wage, it will affect GDP positively as inflation rate also decreases, people will likely to increase on their purchases and hence the damand factor comes to play.

Supply-side factors, such as the level of infrastructure development can affect how companies can supply their goods or services. Without good roads and communications, a company may not be able to be competitive.

At the center it is expected that with the continuation of the APC led govt, there will be political stability, this will invariably influence the growth of the economy.

Inother words, its a no-brainer. I will make a forcast of GDP at 2.50 at the end of 2019 at the list. When the rail projects are completed all over the country, this figure will rise gradually.

Thanks for this explicit explanation
Re: CBN Projects 3% GDP Growth In 2019 by Timekeeper: 7:02am On Mar 22, 2019
...contributed by Yoruba in the southwest.. If any South East talk, I go show una weeeehn

Imagine the whole South East igr no even reach ogun state. Yet they are developas

1 Like 1 Share

Re: CBN Projects 3% GDP Growth In 2019 by 9jaRealist: 7:12am On Mar 22, 2019
contigiency:
And so? So he should close CBN gates because he will soon leave office? Please CBN is not Emefiele and Emefiele is not CBN. Work continues from where he will stop.

The “so” is that he cannot be proclaiming the CBN’s monetary policy for the YEAR if he will be out of office in 2-3 months! SMH undecided
Re: CBN Projects 3% GDP Growth In 2019 by 9jaRealist: 7:14am On Mar 22, 2019
contigiency:

And the new CBN Gov might champion a drastically different monetary policy...
In fact, one of the reported contenders Bismarck Rewane regularly and repeatedly publicly campaigns for an expansionist policy.
Re: CBN Projects 3% GDP Growth In 2019 by StaffofOrayan(m): 7:16am On Mar 22, 2019
I totally disagree!
When you factor debt-to-GDP ratio which reflects the government's finances and the finances of the nation as a whole, one of three things HAS to happen
1. less government spending,
2. encouraging growth,
3. increasing tax
Now we know this government is incapable of real growth so expect less govt spending and increased taxation of an already overburdened populace
the only official that gets it is Dino Malaye (surprisingly I might add)
But like most 'palaces' you only hear the truth from the palace jesters

lapazi:

Re: CBN Projects 3% GDP Growth In 2019 by Truefaith: 7:16am On Mar 22, 2019
With a population growth in excess of 2% and inflation expected to rise beyond 12% in the year and close to a million graduates entering the unemployment market each year, a 3% growth rate is another name for depression.

Any growth rate less than 5% in Nigeria is economic suicide.

Is anyone in the Buhari Government listening at all?

1 Like

Re: CBN Projects 3% GDP Growth In 2019 by eventsmallchops: 7:20am On Mar 22, 2019
is it that there is no one who can engage me in productive activities in Nigeria? is it that honest hard working people who have no connection in government will remain homeless and hungry except one go into crime? I have a family to care for, jobless with no resources to establish little idea I have, I just need someone to engage me in whatever business you are doing, whatever you have to offer me will be appreciated , I'm depressed and I need something doing, location is not a problem because I'm willing to move anywhere, this is something that pains me so much, I just need one opportunity, I just need a chance to work and prove myself. please.

1 Like

Re: CBN Projects 3% GDP Growth In 2019 by Donchukz(m): 7:22am On Mar 22, 2019
lapazi:

Demand-side factors, such as interest rates can affect the spending power of customers. Lowering the interest rate decreases the
rates on loans etc this leaves more spending money for families, where higher interest rates and tax can cut down on family expenditure. Consumer confidence directly affects how much people will spend or save. With the propose increase of minimum wage, it will affect GDP positively as inflation rate also decreases, people will likely to increase on their purchases and hence the damand factor comes to play.

My rational colleague have said it all
Re: CBN Projects 3% GDP Growth In 2019 by PHIPEX(m): 7:22am On Mar 22, 2019
Shows how poor the economic policy has been, I can't even mention who is the Minister of Economy and any economic policy in the last 1yr. 3% growth projection is ridiculous for a country in need of growth and development.
Re: CBN Projects 3% GDP Growth In 2019 by Westsida: 7:25am On Mar 22, 2019
[s]
Timekeeper:
...contributed by Yoruba in the southwest.. If any South East talk, I go show una weeeehn

Imagine the whole South East igr no even reach ogun state. Yet they are developas
[/s]

It’s not so hard to spot all this Flatt headz like the back of Kia picanto. They don’t always sound SenCBU
Re: CBN Projects 3% GDP Growth In 2019 by Westsida: 7:28am On Mar 22, 2019
lapazi:

Good one
Re: CBN Projects 3% GDP Growth In 2019 by Westsida: 7:34am On Mar 22, 2019
Truefaith:
With a population growth in excess of 2% and inflation expected to rise beyond 12% in the year and close to a million graduates entering the unemployment market each year, a 3% growth rate is another name for depression.

Any growth rate less than 5% in Nigeria is economic suicide.

Is anyone in the Buhari Government listening at all?

Yeah, but Either by 1,2 or 5%,, as long as it’s in increasing, it’s all adding up

1 Like

Re: CBN Projects 3% GDP Growth In 2019 by IamaNigerianGuy(m): 7:37am On Mar 22, 2019
lapazi:

There are so many holes in your argument and I leave them for you to discover.
All your grammar will not change the fact that Buhari has failed. You can't give what you don't have. Buhari cannot grow Nigerias economy
Re: CBN Projects 3% GDP Growth In 2019 by lapazi(m): 7:45am On Mar 22, 2019
StaffofOrayan:
I totally disagree!
When you factor debt-to-GDP ratio which reflects the government's finances and the finances of the nation as a whole, one of three things HAS to happen
1. less government spending,
2. encouraging growth,
3. increasing tax
Now we know this government is incapable of real growth so expect less govt spending and increased taxation of an already overburdened populace
the only official that gets it is Dino Malaye (surprisingly I might add)
But like most 'palaces' you only hear the truth from the palace jesters

Ok! I most admit you made a valid point at the bolded + i left it out from my initial post.
However when you say "You totally disagree" with my assertions? i can only imagine that you want to drag me into some kind of back and forth.

I'm not pro APC but pro Human i like seeing logic in things + I hate partisan politics, it clouds the purity of thoughts and makes interlectuals look stupid because you cant tell which opinion is honest and which one is polically motivated.

And you now mentioned Dino

1 Like

Re: CBN Projects 3% GDP Growth In 2019 by Nobody: 7:49am On Mar 22, 2019
contigiency:
Very purposeful and consistent government, dealing and resolving the economic fundamentals that had for so long, held us back. At least one can understand our growth trajectory, unlike the vodoo and Eldorado economy being promised us by the other people from INEC server.

[img]https://media1./images/41623c30893884b0cd1b2d696a3abd33/tenor.gif?itemid=9495358[/img]

One is advised not to drink recklessly,so you don't you nonsense like this ..

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ugwuanyi Commends Military’s Security, Peace Advocacy In Enugu / Who Do You Think Is Inside The Car / Nnamdi Kanu Has United The Niger Delta People

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.