Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,763 members, 7,824,199 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 04:24 AM

Buhari Signs Engineers Amendment Act Into Law. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari Signs Engineers Amendment Act Into Law. (24045 Views)

Ugwuanyi Signs State Forest Guard Act into Law / Governor Sani Bello Signs 2020 Appropriation Act Into Law / Buhari Signs Law Stopping VPs Who Complete President’s Tenure (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Buhari Signs Engineers Amendment Act Into Law. by hakeem4(m): 5:07pm On Mar 22, 2019
President Muhammadu Buhari has assented to the Engineers (Registration etc) Amendment Act, 2019.

The principal Act establishes the Council for Regulation of Engineering in Nigeria – COREN’ with power vested.

According to the Senior Special Assistant on National Assembly matters (Senate), Ita Enang, the new amendment has broadened the powers of COREN with far-reaching powers of prosecution of infractions, regulating industrial training of Engineers, capacity building of local content in Nigeria engineering industry.

Specifically, he said, the new law grants COREN powers of: “prosecuting any person or firm that contravenes the provisions of this Act in a court of competent jurisdiction; .regulating industrial training schemes in engineering practitioners and students;

(I)..ensuring capacity building and monitoring local content development in the Nigerian engineering industry through – mandatory attachment of Nigerians to expatriate engineers on major projects to understudy them from inception

“(ii) ensuring that all foreign engineering firms establish their design offices in Nigeria. (iii) granting of compulsory attestation to all expatriate quota for engineering practitioners, including turnkey project, that there are no qualified and competent Nigerians for the job in question at the time of application and that granting of the expatriate quota shall be contingent on training of such number of persons as may be required for the execution of the job, and;

“(iv) ensuring that, before being allowed to practice in Nigeria, such foreign engineering practitioners granted work permit, register with the council and obtain such licenses as may be required from time to time; (h) investigating engineering failures.’’

He said that the new Act further admits into the Council (COREN) the following: “Nigerian Association of Technologists in Engineering
Nigerian Society of Engineering Technicians, and
Nigerian Association of Engineering Craftsmen, and
One person each appointed to represent the –
Association for Consulting Engineering in Nigeria,
Federation of Construction Industry in Nigeria
Manufacturers Association of Nigeria, and
Armed Forces in rotation.’’

The Council, he said, is now entitled to maintain a fund into which shall be paid money appropriated by the National Assembly, subventions, fees, charges for services rendered or publications made, donations, engineering development levy, among others.

“On NYSC, the Amendment states:
(14) (i)‘’The Directorate of the National Youth Service Corps shall ensure posting of graduate engineers and technologists to places of relevant professional engineering experience.
(ii) Pursuant to the provision of subsection (i), the Directorate of National Youth Service Corps shall communicate the location of graduate engineers and engineering technologists to the Council.’’

The Act broaden engineering ‘’practitioners to include a registered Engineer, Engineering technologist, Engineering technician and Engineering craftsman. It emphasis more on engineering practitioners as against ‘engineer.’

“The Act has been remitted in accordance with standard legal procedures.” Enang stated

http://thenationonlineng.net/buhari-signs-engineers-amendment-act-into-law/?fbclid=IwAR0pbUz-zItuZGD_bVnF8cP7459fgCfHR1kqmWFjZCTZ0riAiAOwQ3AWjZ8

36 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Buhari Signs Engineers Amendment Act Into Law. by MaiGemu: 5:11pm On Mar 22, 2019
We are still celebrating and DANCING to Osun government house.... Please don't distract us with mediocre news. Thank u

63 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Buhari Signs Engineers Amendment Act Into Law. by Amuocha: 5:26pm On Mar 22, 2019
Seen...so that his patronship would continue. Nonsense law

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Signs Engineers Amendment Act Into Law. by ainas247: 5:37pm On Mar 22, 2019
smiley Nice Move Baba

do you have a business? any business come
let rank it in Google guaranteed and be seen

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Buhari Signs Engineers Amendment Act Into Law. by Nobody: 5:38pm On Mar 22, 2019
80% of engineers with 2.1 nd above end up in banks grin

56 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari Signs Engineers Amendment Act Into Law. by ayodaisi: 5:38pm On Mar 22, 2019
Good

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Signs Engineers Amendment Act Into Law. by highskies(m): 5:39pm On Mar 22, 2019
Yippy, really good development.

But NSE need to reduce cost of professional affiliation.

12 Likes

Re: Buhari Signs Engineers Amendment Act Into Law. by otiwisdom: 5:40pm On Mar 22, 2019
V
Re: Buhari Signs Engineers Amendment Act Into Law. by Onyekachi419(f): 5:40pm On Mar 22, 2019
Hmmm
Re: Buhari Signs Engineers Amendment Act Into Law. by JudasNaCarrot: 5:41pm On Mar 22, 2019
ok
Re: Buhari Signs Engineers Amendment Act Into Law. by Nobody: 5:43pm On Mar 22, 2019
Joromi12:

Hahahahah very true bro

4 Likes

Re: Buhari Signs Engineers Amendment Act Into Law. by tempest01(m): 5:44pm On Mar 22, 2019
Nice bills...enforcement is still a problem...

We need an enforcers prosecution bill.

12 Likes

Re: Buhari Signs Engineers Amendment Act Into Law. by crackhouse(m): 5:44pm On Mar 22, 2019
I will come back and read. Osun on my mind now...
Re: Buhari Signs Engineers Amendment Act Into Law. by Jaqenhghar: 5:44pm On Mar 22, 2019
I wish they will pass a bill towards upgrading the curriculum used in training engineers undecided

7 Likes

Re: Buhari Signs Engineers Amendment Act Into Law. by Mustay(m): 5:45pm On Mar 22, 2019
I saw that part on NYSC.

(14) (i)‘’The Directorate of the National Youth Service Corps shall ensure posting of graduate engineers and technologists to places of relevant professional engineering experience.
(ii) Pursuant to the provision of subsection (i), the Directorate of National Youth Service Corps shall communicate the location of graduate engineers and engineering technologists to the Council.’’

Can they just make this general? It's an abuse to keep posting untrained corps members as teachers. Maybe just then, corps members will not feel frustrated with the NYSC scheme if they can apply their education to relevant areas.

13 Likes

Re: Buhari Signs Engineers Amendment Act Into Law. by Nobody: 5:46pm On Mar 22, 2019
Ok
Re: Buhari Signs Engineers Amendment Act Into Law. by thecommunist(m): 5:46pm On Mar 22, 2019
one of the functions i was expecting of them is to monitor the inflow of expatriates for engineering jobs in Nigeria. Any job function that can be handled by the locals should not be given to expatriates.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Signs Engineers Amendment Act Into Law. by itycyril: 5:47pm On Mar 22, 2019
Joromi12:

FALSE
Re: Buhari Signs Engineers Amendment Act Into Law. by RTSC: 5:48pm On Mar 22, 2019
Joromi12:
They wanted to try that shitt with me in katsina.
Sending me to a bank.

I rejected it and was finally posted to a university as a graduate assistant.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Signs Engineers Amendment Act Into Law. by DMerciful(m): 5:48pm On Mar 22, 2019
Yet he declines assent to the most important bills! Yeye dey smell
Re: Buhari Signs Engineers Amendment Act Into Law. by itycyril: 5:48pm On Mar 22, 2019
thecommunist:
one of the functions i was expecting of them is to monitor the inflow of expatriates for engineering jobs in Nigeria. Any job function that can be handled by the locals should not be given to expatriates.

It is mentioned.

You may need to read up the amendments once more for clarity.

12 Likes

Re: Buhari Signs Engineers Amendment Act Into Law. by somito121(m): 5:49pm On Mar 22, 2019
Nice one and it's time for COREN to act.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Signs Engineers Amendment Act Into Law. by Bterfohd: 5:49pm On Mar 22, 2019
Ggdyu

Re: Buhari Signs Engineers Amendment Act Into Law. by blaise26abj(m): 5:50pm On Mar 22, 2019
MaiGemu:
We are still celebrating and DANCING to Osun government house.... Please don't distract us with mediocre news. Thank u

Dont be silly. Calling that a mediocre news shows how myopic you are.

This news is great. I support it fully. All these Chinese engineering companies should be closely monitored. I just hope the nigerian corruption factor wont still come into play.

19 Likes

Re: Buhari Signs Engineers Amendment Act Into Law. by sonnie10: 5:51pm On Mar 22, 2019
Engineering practitioner .

1 Like

Re: Buhari Signs Engineers Amendment Act Into Law. by raymondedesiri(m): 5:53pm On Mar 22, 2019
hakeem4:
President Muhammadu Buhari has assented to the Engineers (Registration etc) Amendment Act, 2019.

The principal Act establishes the Council for Regulation of Engineering in Nigeria – COREN’ with power vested.

According to the Senior Special Assistant on National Assembly matters (Senate), Ita Enang, the new amendment has broadened the powers of COREN with far-reaching powers of prosecution of infractions, regulating industrial training of Engineers, capacity building of local content in Nigeria engineering industry.

Specifically, he said, the new law grants COREN powers of: “prosecuting any person or firm that contravenes the provisions of this Act in a court of competent jurisdiction; .regulating industrial training schemes in engineering practitioners and students;

(I)..ensuring capacity building and monitoring local content development in the Nigerian engineering industry through – mandatory attachment of Nigerians to expatriate engineers on major projects to understudy them from inception

“(ii) ensuring that all foreign engineering firms establish their design offices in Nigeria. (iii) granting of compulsory attestation to all expatriate quota for engineering practitioners, including turnkey project, that there are no qualified and competent Nigerians for the job in question at the time of application and that granting of the expatriate quota shall be contingent on training of such number of persons as may be required for the execution of the job, and;

“(iv) ensuring that, before being allowed to practice in Nigeria, such foreign engineering practitioners granted work permit, register with the council and obtain such licenses as may be required from time to time; (h) investigating engineering failures.’’

He said that the new Act further admits into the Council (COREN) the following: “Nigerian Association of Technologists in Engineering

The Council, he said, is now entitled to maintain a fund into which shall be paid money appropriated by the National Assembly, subventions, fees, charges for services rendered or publications made, donations, engineering development levy, among others.

The Act broaden engineering ‘’practitioners to include a registered Engineer, Engineering technologist, Engineering technician and Engineering craftsman. It emphasis more on engineering practitioners as against ‘engineer.’

“The Act has been remitted in accordance with standard legal procedures.” Enang stated

http://thenationonlineng.net/buhari-signs-engineers-amendment-act-into-law/?fbclid=IwAR0pbUz-zItuZGD_bVnF8cP7459fgCfHR1kqmWFjZCTZ0riAiAOwQ3AWjZ8
sonnie10:
Engineering practitioner .
hakeem4:

Weldone sir

2 Likes

Re: Buhari Signs Engineers Amendment Act Into Law. by thecommunist(m): 5:53pm On Mar 22, 2019
itycyril:

It is mentioned.

You may need to read up the amendments once more for clarity.
oh. ok.
Re: Buhari Signs Engineers Amendment Act Into Law. by 12inchess: 5:54pm On Mar 22, 2019
This is such good news for once. Now Nigerian engineers can fully participate and learn from this so called 'expats'. My experience with working with the 'expats' is that they don't want to pass on what they know so they are not made redundant.

4 Likes

Re: Buhari Signs Engineers Amendment Act Into Law. by Sofi8157(m): 5:55pm On Mar 22, 2019
Kudos to Baba [code][/code] grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Signs Engineers Amendment Act Into Law. by RTSC: 5:56pm On Mar 22, 2019
thecommunist:
We already have the Nigerian content law.

It was very effective during Jonathan, but I don't know what has happened now.

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Marafa: Crooks Within APC Want To Install Serving Governor As Buhari's Successor / Margaret Obi Holds Town Hall Meeting With Kaduna Women (Pictures) / IPOB Member Handcuffed In His Community In Ebonyi. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.