Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,179 members, 7,821,991 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 11:57 PM

Question About God That Has Been Bothering Me - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Question About God That Has Been Bothering Me (811 Views)

This Dream My Fiancee's Mother Had Is Bothering My Fiancee And I. / This Question About Jesus Has Been Bothering Me / “I'M A Man Of God That Love Pussy"- Says, Pastor Wilson (video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Question About God That Has Been Bothering Me by dukeprince50: 7:17am On Mar 24, 2019
Good morning NLders, I had an argument with my friends yesterday, we debate on the issue but no one seems to give a reasonable answer.
The question is if God is omniscient which means he knows everything about us, knows what we will do even before we are created, is it fair of God to punish us and send us to hell if we sin. in his omniscient nature, He already knows we will sin, why punish us when he knows 100%.
And if he knows we will sin but expect us to change, then is he really omniscience? cos expectation means ur not 100% certain.
But if he knows you won't change change and he still purnish you, is he a merciful God?
Re: Question About God That Has Been Bothering Me by dukeprince50: 7:18am On Mar 24, 2019
Shepherd00:

Did he make you do evil? You are forgetting responsibility.

After typing this, you'd go out to buy cigarette with your money and smoke, drink and carry women. You may even be a homosexual. You do every thing God says don't do on your own without anyone forcing you, but you need someone to blame for that.

Sir, you choose Satan's way, so, where he ends is where you'd end.
Oga sunday school dropout, General overseer Nairaland church of christ. did I say I smoke drink or party, if u av no important thing to talk, just go and wash plate.
Re: Question About God That Has Been Bothering Me by Shelumiel: 7:45am On Mar 24, 2019
My dear friend . God is omniscience. But when defining the word "omniscience " you may have to see it from a religious perspective , and not from a secular one .
Re: Question About God That Has Been Bothering Me by hopefulLandlord: 7:54am On Mar 24, 2019
Shelumiel:
My dear friend . God is omniscience. But when defining the word "omniscience " you may have to see it from a religious perspective , and not from a secular one .

can you elucidate on this sir?

2 Likes

Re: Question About God That Has Been Bothering Me by Nobody: 7:57am On Mar 24, 2019
@
dukeprince50:
This is an old doctrinal problem. In theology school, we were taught that in classical Christian theology, an attempt to answer this question is made with the idea that God's omniscience is subjected to his will. In other words God is omniscient but can choose to ignore... For enjoyment purposes for instance.

Let's illustrate this with an example. Let say you have downloaded a good movie. In the middle of the movie the main actor is about to die. You have the possibility to fast forward to the end of the movie to know whether he truly dies or not. Or you can choose to ignore and enjoy the movie bit by bit, not because you can't know the end but because you are enjoying it.

In the same vein, it is alleged that God is omniscient in the sense that he can know everything should he choose to, but voluntarily chooses to ignore to allow people free will and to enjoy this movie we call life.

Of course this theological answer solves the earlier problem but creates other ones. Indeed how can someone be sure that he is omniscient? If you don't know something, you wouldn't know about it, since you don't.

Cheers.
Re: Question About God That Has Been Bothering Me by KendrickAyomide: 8:04am On Mar 24, 2019
LoJ:
@
This is an old doctrinal problem. In theology school, we were taught that in classical Christian theology, an attempt to answer this question is made with the idea that God's omniscience is subjected to his will. In other words God is omniscient but can choose to ignore... For enjoyment purposes for instance.

Let's illustrate this with an example. Let say you have downloaded a good movie. In the middle of the movie the main actor is about to die. You have the possibility to fast forward to the end of the movie to know whether he truly dies or not. Or you can choose to ignore and enjoy the movie bit by bit, not because you can't know the end but because you are enjoying it.

In the same vein, it is alleged that God is omniscient in the sense that he can know everything should he choose to, but voluntarily chooses to ignore to allow people free will and to enjoy this movie we call life.

Of course this theological answer solves the earlier problem but creates other ones. Indeed how can someone be sure that he is omniscient? If you don't know something, you wouldn't know about it, since you don't.

Cheers.

1 Like

Re: Question About God That Has Been Bothering Me by CAPSLOCKED: 8:04am On Mar 24, 2019
INSTEAD OF ANSWERS YOU'LL ONLY GET EXCUSES.

YOU'RE EITHER A RELIGIOUS PERSON, OR A THINKING PERSON. YOU CAN'T BE BOTH. FOR RELIGION DOESN'T REQUIRE YOU TO THINK, BUT TO JUST BELIEVE AND FOLLOW LIKE BLIND GOATS.

CHEERS.

3 Likes

Re: Question About God That Has Been Bothering Me by Nobody: 8:07am On Mar 24, 2019
KendrickAyomide:
I don't understand what your meme signifies. If you have a point to make state it in clear terms.
Re: Question About God That Has Been Bothering Me by MJBOLT: 8:09am On Mar 24, 2019
have faith,you will feel god in your heart.when you die and go to heaven ask him grin

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Question About God That Has Been Bothering Me by MuttleyLaff: 8:22am On Mar 24, 2019
dukeprince50:
Good morning NLders, I had an argument with my friends yesterday, we debate on the issue but no one seems to give a reasonable answer.
The question is if God is omniscient which means he knows everything about us, knows what we will do even before we are created, is it fair of God to punish us and send us to hell if we sin
You need a paradigm shift in your thinking in order to appreciate and properly understand this thing. First, it isnt necessarily punishment in the real sense but it is judgement, secondly it isnt about sending us to hell if we sin, but it really is about being destroyed, as those in the wrong and/or culpable, along with hell will be destroyed. There is nothing personal in all this, it is just business and how the cookie crumbles

dukeprince50:
in his omniscient nature, He already knows we will sin, why punish us when he knows 100%.
Why shouldnt judgement and justice be carried out, huh?

dukeprince50:
And if he knows we will sin but expect us to change, then is he really omniscience? cos expectation means ur not 100% certain.
dukeprince50, yes He is omniscient, as He knows those that will change and those that wont change. Case in point, He knew that Pharaoh will never change his mind and ways but still permitted Pharaoh to exist. Make no mistake dukeprince50, God is always 100% certain, do not underestimate God, that will be a foolhardy thing to do. You do that at your peril

LoJ:
@

Cheers.
Theology schools are seminaries, which often are glorified cemeteries, schools for the spiritually dead, so I am not surprised at what they taught you there.

KendrickAyomide:

LoJ:
I don't understand what your meme signifies. If you have a point to make state it in clear terms.
KendrickAyomide codedly is saying he feels like smacking your face because he thinks you typed rubbish

1 Like

Re: Question About God That Has Been Bothering Me by Nobody: 8:24am On Mar 24, 2019
MuttleyLaff:
Y
, which often are glorified cemeteries, schools for the spiritually dead, so I am not surprised at what they taught you there.
Thank you for your opinion.
Re: Question About God That Has Been Bothering Me by MuttleyLaff: 8:26am On Mar 24, 2019
LoJ:
Thank you for your opinion.
Fact and truth, not an opinion my dear long time friend

1 Like

Re: Question About God That Has Been Bothering Me by Shelumiel: 8:40am On Mar 24, 2019
hopefulLandlord:

can you elucidate on this sir?
There many religious views on this subject and I can only vouch for the one I know, and that is Judeo-christianity . In Judeo-christianity, the Bible let's us understand that God's thoughts towards man are of good and not of evil (Jeremiah 29:11), and that God wants man to always choose what is good ; because there is a written judgement for doing wrong (Deut 30:15-20) . This is the where the presence God's omniscience comes in : He knows the end from the beginning; He knows the options attached to everything decision we make . But Him not wanting to be a dictator, gives us a right to choose and He expects us to choose what He has already termed as good .

1 Like

Re: Question About God That Has Been Bothering Me by dukeprince50: 9:01am On Mar 24, 2019
MuttleyLaff:
dukeprince50, yes He is omniscient, as He knows those that will change and those that wont change. Case in point, He knew that Pharaoh will never change his mind and ways but still permitted Pharaoh to exist. Make no mistake dukeprince50, God is always 100% certain, do not underestimate God, that will be a foolhardy thing to do. You do that at your periil
if he knows those that won't change yet created them and punish them later on, will you call him a merciful God?
Re: Question About God That Has Been Bothering Me by Shelumiel: 9:04am On Mar 24, 2019
dukeprince50:
if he knows those that won't change yet created them and punish them later on, will you call him a merciful God?
Mercy and justice are two different things sire. God is merciful , but He is also Justice .
Re: Question About God That Has Been Bothering Me by Bojack(m): 9:08am On Mar 24, 2019
CAPSLOCKED:
INSTEAD OF ANSWERS YOU'LL ONLY GET EXCUSES.

YOU'RE EITHER A RELIGIOUS PERSON, OR A THINKING PERSON. YOU CAN'T BE BOTH. FOR RELIGION DOESN'T REQUIRE YOU TO THINK, BUT TO JUST BELIEVE AND FOLLOW LIKE BLIND GOATS.

CHEERS.
cheesy cheesy
Re: Question About God That Has Been Bothering Me by jomarq(m): 9:16am On Mar 24, 2019
Re: Question About God That Has Been Bothering Me by dukeprince50: 9:18am On Mar 24, 2019
Shelumiel:
Mercy and justice are two different things sire. God is merciful , but He is also Justice .
before the beginning, he knows you won't change, then when you did what he already knows before the beginning, he brings justice upon you at the end. I get your point but some explanation is missing
Re: Question About God That Has Been Bothering Me by MuttleyLaff: 9:24am On Mar 24, 2019
dukeprince50:
Yes, God is ever Merciful.
Now, are you trying to say God is not merciful, huh? Is God not merciful to you dukeprince50?
I have corrected you that punish is not the right word, judgement and/or justice is

1 Like

Re: Question About God That Has Been Bothering Me by dukeprince50: 9:28am On Mar 24, 2019
MuttleyLaff:
Yes, God is ever Merciful.
Now, are you trying to say God is not merciful, huh? Is God not merciful to you dukeprince50?
I have corrected you that punish is not the right word, judgement and/or justice is
I am not saying he is not, I am also not saying he is, if I have an answer, I wouldn't ask the question
Re: Question About God That Has Been Bothering Me by Shelumiel: 9:30am On Mar 24, 2019
dukeprince50:
before the beginning, he knows you won't change, then when you did what he already knows before the beginning, he brings justice upon you at the end. I get your point but some explanation is missing
Brother, what you are saying does not rhyme with the nature of God . God knows the beginning from the end but not from the way you are viewing it right now .
Re: Question About God That Has Been Bothering Me by MuttleyLaff: 9:32am On Mar 24, 2019
dukeprince50:
I am not saying he is not, I am also not saying he is, if I have an answer, I wouldn't ask the question
Well, for your information then, God is ever merciful and dukeprince50, you can take the information to the bank.

1 Like

Re: Question About God That Has Been Bothering Me by Ihedinobi3: 11:21am On Mar 27, 2019
dukeprince50:
The question is if God is omniscient which means he knows everything about us, knows what we will do even before we are created, is it fair of God to punish us and send us to hell if we sin. in his omniscient nature, He already knows we will sin, why punish us when he knows 100%.
But if he knows you won't change change and he still purnish you, is he a merciful God?
Hi.

I'm a believer in Jesus Christ, God Who became Man to die for our sins and save us from the just punishment for them, that is, a Christian.

Yours is a variation of the question how free will can co-exist with omniscience. Of course, the question is absurd, but I understand how it can seem like a real problem to anyone who is reluctant or hesitant to believe in God, much less to anyone who is hardened against God. I have also answered it several times on Nairaland. Unfortunately, I haven't got around to posting any of those conversations on my thread for questions and answers, or else I would give you a link. As soon as I do, I may post the link here, if it is still pertinent to do so then.

Suffice to say that there is no connection between God's knowledge of your future and the choices you prefer to make. Your possession of a free will means that you can choose absolutely anything you want between obeying God and disobeying Him. God knows what you will choose, but that does not mean that you cannot choose anything you want. It only means that He is omniscient. Consider for a rather loose parallel the example of knowing that the sun will set today. Your certain knowledge of that does not really have a direct connection to anything the sun will do. You know what you know because you have a decent memory and have been around on Earth long enough to know that the sun sets every so often marking the end of another day. Of course, God's Omniscience is a far deeper thing, but the principle is the same: knowledge is passive.

Let me know if you need me to explain any further.
Re: Question About God That Has Been Bothering Me by Nobody: 1:20pm On Mar 27, 2019
Kikikkikikiki
GOD IS NOT ONLY OMNISCIENCE BUT OMNIPOTENT AND OMNIPRESENT.
The PROBLEM OF SIN has already been settled by Him who knows the MYSTERY OF SIN on the CROSS OF CALVARY, so you still questioning the Omniscience nature of the Almighty God in regards to sin and eternal punishment is absurd.
Let's take for example; The government of a country(GOD ALMIGHTY) knows how brutal it is in combating terrorism,(SIN) and has provided her citizens(MANKIND) with a sufficient amount of military personnels and aids (THE HOLY SPIRIT) to combat terrorism always and at the right time. And when everything is in place we all know that terrorism won't find a place to occupy in that country.
Now, when the right aids are provided, will it be wise enough for the Military personnel or her citizens to blame the government for the continual thriving of terrorism? You know the answer within you.
Mankind right from Adam has always love to shift blame to God even when it's obvious that he is the one at fault. Inasmuch God has provided us help and comfort by the Holy Spirit that indwells us by the ability of His omnipresent power, there is no longer room to blame Him when you suffer punishment along His line of justice which also corresponds to His omnipotent nature.
So my dear OP God in His Omniscience nature wants you to live above sin and have continual fellowship with Him because His thoughts are of good and not evil and to bring you to an expected end.
TRUTH IS TRUTH AND FALSE IS FALSE. YOUR BELIEF CANNOT CHANGE ANYTHING BUT GIVES YOU A PROPER UNDERSTANDING ON A BETTER FOUNDATION ON WHICH TO STAND.
I BELIEVE IN THE LORD JESUS CHRIST AND HE IS THE PERFECT WAY, TRUTH, LIFE AND LIGHT.
Re: Question About God That Has Been Bothering Me by Shepherd00: 4:28pm On Mar 27, 2019
dukeprince50:
Do you know what RESPONSIBILITY means?
Re: Question About God That Has Been Bothering Me by Shepherd00: 4:37pm On Mar 27, 2019
LoJ:
@

Cheers.

Seminaries don't breed Disciples, they rather breed dead souls who although, say they believe in God, yet in their closets they don't. Case in point, You.
Re: Question About God That Has Been Bothering Me by Shepherd00: 4:43pm On Mar 27, 2019
dukeprince50:
God never created anybody for hell, but there are those who even if you drag them into heaven with robes, they'll cut off the robes and return to hell. Will you blame God for that?
Re: Question About God That Has Been Bothering Me by Shepherd00: 4:46pm On Mar 27, 2019
dukeprince50:
Did he make you do evil? You are forgetting responsibility.

After typing this, you'd go out to buy cigarette with your money and smoke, drink and carry women. You may even be a homosexual. You do every thing God says don't do on your own without anyone forcing you, but you need someone to blame for that.

Sir, you choose Satan's way, so, where he ends is where you'd end.
Re: Question About God That Has Been Bothering Me by Shepherd00: 4:49pm On Mar 27, 2019
Agrogbeide:
Kikikkikikiki
GOD IS NOT ONLY OMNISCIENCE BUT OMNIPOTENT AND OMNIPRESENT.
The PROBLEM OF SIN has already been settled by Him who knows the MYSTERY OF SIN on the CROSS OF CALVARY, so you still questioning the Omniscience nature of the Almighty God in regards to sin and eternal punishment is absurd.
Let's take for example; The government of a country(GOD ALMIGHTY) knows how brutal it is in combating terrorism,(SIN) and has provided her citizens(MANKIND) with a sufficient amount of military personnels and aids (THE HOLY SPIRIT) to combat terrorism always and at the right time. And when everything is in place we all know that terrorism won't find a place to occupy in that country.
Now, when the right aids are provided, will it be wise enough for the Military personnel or her citizens to blame the government for the continual thriving of terrorism? You know the answer within you.
Mankind right from Adam has always love to shift blame to God even when it's obvious that he is the one at fault. Inasmuch God has provided us help and comfort by the Holy Spirit that indwells us by the ability of His omnipresent power, there is no longer room to blame Him when you suffer punishment along His line of justice which also corresponds to His omnipotent nature.
So my dear OP God in His Omniscience nature wants you to live above sin and have continual fellowship with Him because His thoughts are of good and not evil and to bring you to an expected end.
TRUTH IS TRUTH AND FALSE IS FALSE. YOUR BELIEF CANNOT CHANGE ANYTHING BUT GIVES YOU A PROPER UNDERSTANDING ON A BETTER FOUNDATION ON WHICH TO STAND.
I BELIEVE IN THE LORD JESUS CHRIST AND HE IS THE PERFECT WAY, TRUTH, LIFE AND LIGHT.
Sir, the guy wants to eat his cake and still keep it.

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian Girl Decoded To Leave Christianity To Islam Because Of Coza Scandal / Satan Conquers The World Through Sin. No wonder he wants you to remain in sin / Fake Prophet Odumeje : Catholic Reverend Sisters Visit Holy Ghost Intervention

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.