Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,661 members, 7,820,326 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:09 PM

University Of Nigeria Becomes First University To Adopt Renewable Energy - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / University Of Nigeria Becomes First University To Adopt Renewable Energy (19798 Views)

First University In Onitsha Has Been Approved By Federal Government Yesterday(ph / UNILAG TV: First University TV Station In Nigeria Begins Operation On January 17 / Lightning Strikes Student Of Anambra State University To Death Inside His Room (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: University Of Nigeria Becomes First University To Adopt Renewable Energy by Kelvin1992: 6:19pm On Mar 26, 2019
Prof Ejiogu, the Japanese professor himself..
I miss you back then...in school.... my prof, my ex HOD, and my lectural... Nothing does you.....Super lion..my almer meter...#Respect for you prof#

1 Like

Re: University Of Nigeria Becomes First University To Adopt Renewable Energy by IFEOLUWAKRIZ: 6:24pm On Mar 26, 2019
Unn make sense
Re: University Of Nigeria Becomes First University To Adopt Renewable Energy by NNAMDIII(m): 6:28pm On Mar 26, 2019
chibike69:
grin

UNN is the best uni in Nigeria

Na we get am.
I'm proud to be a lion!!
Re: University Of Nigeria Becomes First University To Adopt Renewable Energy by Nobody: 6:42pm On Mar 26, 2019
Good development
Re: University Of Nigeria Becomes First University To Adopt Renewable Energy by mjconcept(m): 7:19pm On Mar 26, 2019
Bills2307:
The current generated was too small that it can only charge a rechargeable lantern, after school I even forgot I did project. Naija hardship came striking. some hotels use it like I heard, in large scale. So you can browse about it. It’s cheaper
Hello, I would like to know more about it. Any reference?
Re: University Of Nigeria Becomes First University To Adopt Renewable Energy by Ukaegbumbeh(m): 7:41pm On Mar 26, 2019
noisy45:
Afonja won't like this thread
they don start already but forgotten that lgbo lead before others follows

Re: University Of Nigeria Becomes First University To Adopt Renewable Energy by CodeTemplar: 7:48pm On Mar 26, 2019
Where is pix of this bio driven plant.
Re: University Of Nigeria Becomes First University To Adopt Renewable Energy by CofOLandOfPeace(m): 7:58pm On Mar 26, 2019
IA great stead... giant stride.. And a very good achievement for a Nigerian university... setting a good pace for energy production.

Do You Desire A Very Good Property (Landed property or to buy a house.apartment) for acquisition or as a form of Investment That Guarantee High Return? Check our signature below on how to get on PROMO affordable titled lands & properties in good location with Rest of mind. There are good properties in choice locations that boast of a huge return on investment.

You may want to partake in the available promos. Visit our Ikeja Office @ 3/9 Olu Koleosho Street (Off Medical Road) or OUR ISLAND OFFICE @Kilometer 38, LEKKI-EPE EXPRESSWAY By Mayfair (AWOYAYA). Call +2348027390046.

Click the WhatsApp link to reach out to us. Or if you want to know how you can be a part of the business part of Real Estate/Property Business... Join this link together erasing every space and click to chat us ht tp s: / / bit. ly/2ASCSgC

Re: University Of Nigeria Becomes First University To Adopt Renewable Energy by Ubdavis(m): 9:44pm On Mar 26, 2019
My alma.... Will Neva disappoint!!!
Re: University Of Nigeria Becomes First University To Adopt Renewable Energy by Ubdavis(m): 9:45pm On Mar 26, 2019
My alma.... Will Neva disappoint!
Re: University Of Nigeria Becomes First University To Adopt Renewable Energy by jerryvyne(m): 10:40pm On Mar 26, 2019
Richdad50:
I have studied Renewable Energy for my years, its benefit and tremendous impact on the climate. However, i will advice Africa and Nigeria in particular never to adopt Renewable Energy in its totality. See, It will slow down our industrialization and impede our growth. The West and China grew their economy on Fossil Fuel. Africa should be allowed to grow.

We can maximize our Fossil energy while introducing R.E in parts and phases over decades. If we toll the part of the larger Europe and Liberal America with the hoax of climate change, we will be doomed economically and industrially.

Richdad

so you think fossil fuel generation issa new idea?
so it's not renewable too?
so, what's the uniqueness of an innovation that's of non renewable energy..?

take it or leave it, it's a great feat attained! More of innovations like this, will improve man's environment
Re: University Of Nigeria Becomes First University To Adopt Renewable Energy by jerryvyne(m): 10:43pm On Mar 26, 2019
honestly, so Many innovations circumvent this area Moreso, renewable energy plus leading environmental friendly setting and health improvement
I have an innovation harnessed from the power of energy..Energy is really indispensable!!!!
Re: University Of Nigeria Becomes First University To Adopt Renewable Energy by globatop: 10:45pm On Mar 26, 2019
Vctr:
The University of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) on Tuesday set the record of electricity generation by using organic waste to install 100KVA Refuse Drived Fuel (RDF) gasification plant for its Nsukka Campus.

Prof Benjamin Ozumba, UNN Vice-Chancellor, who expressed happiness over the project during its inauguration, said the university would no longer be a customer to Enugu Electricity Distribution Company (EEDC).

He said the project was first of its kind in Nigeria and described it as another feather added to the cap of the institution.

“I am happy that the university under my watch has witnessed innovations and transformation, as today another feather has been added to the cap of my administration.

“This is the first of its kind in the country, using of waste to generate electricity.

“By the time more of the plants are produced that will cover every part of the university, millions of naira will be saved every month, as UNN will longer pay monthly electricity bill to EEDC, ” he said.

The VC also commended Prof Emenike Ejiogu-led research team that produced the RDF gas plant.

In his remark, Ejiogu from the Department of Electrical Engineering applauded Ozumba on his belief of making record-breaking innovations to transform UNN.

“The 100 KVA RDF project is designed and fabricated by laboratory of industrial power devices and energy system under the special grant by Ozumba.

“The aim is to enable UNN to generate its own electricity with organic waste that will serve as fuel,” he said.

The Japan-trained engineer said his research team was set to produce 250KVA plants, which will supply the energy need of the entire university and its environ.

“UNN power demand now is 3mgwats, so with twelve 250KVA of RDF plants, we will meet electricity supply need of the university,” he said.

He said on request, his research team was ready to install the RDF plants to any individual, company or office who needed it.

“It is cheaper and can carry more loads than solar energy installation.

“With RDF plant in your house or office, it will carry your air-condition, deep freezers, pressing iron and other things in your house, office or company,” he said.

Ejiogu listed some of the organic waste that could be used as waste materials to power the plant to include: agricultural byproducts such as corn husks, wood chips among others.

He said the plant would create employment for many people through supplying of waste to UNN or other people who would be using the plant,” he said.

Some UNN staff in separate interviews with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) described the innovation as one of the greatest legacies of Ozumba.

https://www.pmnewsnigeria.com/2019/03/19/unn-sets-record-of-electricity-generation-with-organic-waste/

Weldone, when developed world is thinking of greenhouse effect, we are still using combustion method to generate power
Re: University Of Nigeria Becomes First University To Adopt Renewable Energy by Bills2307(m): 11:33pm On Mar 26, 2019
mjconcept:

Hello, I would like to know more about it. Any reference?
Would have sent to you the work but unfortunately I don’t have the laptop with me here. But there r lots of work about it in the internet, it’s understandable too. Browse about it and watch some YouTube vids too
Re: University Of Nigeria Becomes First University To Adopt Renewable Energy by Mrgreatness(m): 1:43am On Mar 27, 2019
chibike69:
grin

UNN is the best uni in Nigeria

Na we get am.
The most over hype school in Nigeria
Re: University Of Nigeria Becomes First University To Adopt Renewable Energy by Nobody: 7:12am On Mar 27, 2019
Drnice2:
Even Nigerian Universities don't know the difference between renewable & non-renewable. That is non-renewable, after use what next?
You are the one who doesn't know the difference between renewable and non renewable energy.
Renewable simply means that the earth or eco system continues to replenish that particular raw material.
Fossil fuels like coal, gas, crude oil... are non renewable energy sources because they will eventually finish in the earths crust.
But as long as as there are living things on this planet, bio waste will keep being produced.

1 Like

Re: University Of Nigeria Becomes First University To Adopt Renewable Energy by mjconcept(m): 7:16am On Mar 27, 2019
Bills2307:
Would have sent to you the work but unfortunately I don’t have the laptop with me here. But there r lots of work about it in the internet, it’s understandable too. Browse about it and watch some YouTube vids too
Ok, can u remember any of the material used? If possible share some of ur reference.
Re: University Of Nigeria Becomes First University To Adopt Renewable Energy by Ursulaa(f): 7:40am On Mar 27, 2019
Hail varsity of Nigeria!
My alma mater!
Proud to be a lioness
Re: University Of Nigeria Becomes First University To Adopt Renewable Energy by NairalandAngel(m): 7:42am On Mar 27, 2019
micgray100:
Good developments.....

Register your Limited Liability Company LLC from just 75k.. Including DHL express delivery to your door step..
Over 200 commendations from nairaland customers I have worked for..

Proof inside my trend which my signature leads you....

What the time lag for processing?
Re: University Of Nigeria Becomes First University To Adopt Renewable Energy by MariamAlheri: 9:34am On Mar 27, 2019
Nelly21:
My alma mater
My alma mater
Noble are thy looks and thy ideals

And great art thou, in science and in arts.
In other realms of learning, thou art all sublime!

I sell lands and properties within estates in Ibadan, Ogun, Abuja, Nassarawa and Lagos. Outright and installment payments available. We make the incredible affordable at #AdronHomes. Call or message 08069506169

1 Like

Re: University Of Nigeria Becomes First University To Adopt Renewable Energy by Nobody: 9:03pm On Mar 27, 2019
Rgade:

You are the one who doesn't know the difference between renewable and non renewable energy.
Renewable simply means that the earth or eco system continues to replenish that particular raw material.
Fossil fuels like coal, gas, crude oil... are non renewable energy sources because they will eventually finish in the earths crust.
But as long as as there are living things on this planet, bio waste will keep being produced.
Biomass/gas is non-renewable. You can't replenish it relatively after use. Do your research well.
Re: University Of Nigeria Becomes First University To Adopt Renewable Energy by avast01(m): 12:09am On Mar 28, 2019
The day cometh and tis nigh when Nigerian authorities will beg the citizens, cap in hand, to patronize centrally generated power. But the citizens will laugh hysterically in there face, just as the powers that be currently laugh in the citizens faces.
Re: University Of Nigeria Becomes First University To Adopt Renewable Energy by Nobody: 9:02am On Mar 28, 2019
Drnice2:
Biomass/gas is non-renewable. You can't replenish it relatively after use. Do your research well.
Yes it's not being directly replenished, when compared with counterparts like wind and solar(im sure you're comparing them) .. but the fact is that Bio waste is continually being produced by the eco system, so technically, it is Renewable �
Re: University Of Nigeria Becomes First University To Adopt Renewable Energy by Gloriouspa(m): 9:40am On Mar 28, 2019
Bills2307:
The current generated was too small that it can only charge a rechargeable lantern, after school I even forgot I did project. Naija hardship came striking. some hotels use it like I heard, in large scale. So you can browse about it. It’s cheaper

Okay. I will research more about it in Nigeria. Thanks.
Re: University Of Nigeria Becomes First University To Adopt Renewable Energy by Nobody: 2:25pm On Mar 28, 2019
Rgade:

[s]Yes it's not being directly replenished, when compared with counterparts like wind and solar(im sure you're comparing them) [/s] .. but the fact is that Bio waste is continually being produced by the eco system, so technically, it is Renewable �
Hence, it's non-renewable like Fossil Fuels which are continually being produced by the eco system through regular decay of organic matter! "Bio mass/gas is non-renewable," it can also generate Nuclear Energy which is ineffective(inefficient) & non renewable.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

JAMB Adds 40 Marks For 2016 Candidates – Recheck / Jimoh Khairat Emerged 3rd Position In The Commonwealth Writing Contest / Architects' Corner: Models And 3D Fair

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.