Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,566 members, 7,955,101 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 04:57 PM

The First Plane Crash In Nigeria At Igbo Ilapa Hill In Ikogosi, Ekiti In 1942 - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / The First Plane Crash In Nigeria At Igbo Ilapa Hill In Ikogosi, Ekiti In 1942 (47451 Views)

Cockpit Experience From The First Plane To Land At Ekiti Cargo Airport / A Visit To The Popular Sobi Hill In Ilorin, Kwara State (Pictures) / How The First Plane Crash In Nigeria Happened In April 1942 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The First Plane Crash In Nigeria At Igbo Ilapa Hill In Ikogosi, Ekiti In 1942 by jboyishere: 12:33pm On Mar 26, 2019
No better post?
Re: The First Plane Crash In Nigeria At Igbo Ilapa Hill In Ikogosi, Ekiti In 1942 by Cletus77(m): 12:34pm On Mar 26, 2019
JasonScoolari:
Nice one from you AutoJoshNG, but I will tell you with so much fact that some "Planes" have been crashing in Benin, Edo State.

This "Planes" do take off at night and some unlucky crash in the morning.
The one that happened in Sakponbà road 1932 claimed the life of a female "pilot"
After taking off from the busiest Coven International Airport, She crashed the beautiful "Plantain Leaf Plane" while trying to land but was stopped by those high tension wires at the busy Sakponbà road.

We also have similar incident of illegal landing by one popular "pilot" He complained that the fuel got finished mid air, which landed him in a very sharp electric bulb wire owned by Mountain of Fire Church.
I didn't come to die in Nairaland

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The First Plane Crash In Nigeria At Igbo Ilapa Hill In Ikogosi, Ekiti In 1942 by grandstar(m): 12:35pm On Mar 26, 2019
I love that name "DC 10"

Built by McDonnell Douglas. They were bought over by Boeing if I'm correct
Re: The First Plane Crash In Nigeria At Igbo Ilapa Hill In Ikogosi, Ekiti In 1942 by dieselsupplies(m): 12:36pm On Mar 26, 2019
I supply Good quality diesel (AGO) in abuja and its environs, kindly contact me for price negotiations as the price of the product fluctuates.
Re: The First Plane Crash In Nigeria At Igbo Ilapa Hill In Ikogosi, Ekiti In 1942 by EazyMoh(m): 12:37pm On Mar 26, 2019
See my ancestor investigating air crash site in full white Babbar Riga. cheesy

3 Likes

Re: The First Plane Crash In Nigeria At Igbo Ilapa Hill In Ikogosi, Ekiti In 1942 by lorhema(f): 12:40pm On Mar 26, 2019
The 1969 crash was a BOAC VC-10 airplane. I remember it because my father had gone to the airport to pick my mum up and he watched the plane come in, crash and burst into flames.

He came home sad because he believed my mum was a victim and talked about the crash. Then a telegram was delivered which stated that she did not take the flight and would be coming home later.

2 Likes

Re: The First Plane Crash In Nigeria At Igbo Ilapa Hill In Ikogosi, Ekiti In 1942 by kerry57: 12:42pm On Mar 26, 2019
Camera no dey naija then?
Re: The First Plane Crash In Nigeria At Igbo Ilapa Hill In Ikogosi, Ekiti In 1942 by iammarvellux(m): 12:50pm On Mar 26, 2019
May we not be a victim of those flying caskets..

Modernized as planes.

Check out my signature and thank ME Later

Re: The First Plane Crash In Nigeria At Igbo Ilapa Hill In Ikogosi, Ekiti In 1942 by Orobo2Lekpa: 12:53pm On Mar 26, 2019
Somehow they will find a way of blaming IGBO
Re: The First Plane Crash In Nigeria At Igbo Ilapa Hill In Ikogosi, Ekiti In 1942 by HeWrites(m): 12:53pm On Mar 26, 2019
OpssonD1:
This month no wan end Boiz don broke abeg

I swear bro
Re: The First Plane Crash In Nigeria At Igbo Ilapa Hill In Ikogosi, Ekiti In 1942 by noisy45(m): 12:55pm On Mar 26, 2019
JasonScoolari:
Nice one from you AutoJoshNG, but I will tell you with so much fact that some "Planes" have been crashing in Benin, Edo State.

The one that happened in Sakponbà road 1932 claimed the life of a female "pilot"
After taking off from the busiest Coven International Airport, She crashed the beautiful "Plantain Leaf Plane" while trying to land but was stopped by those high tension wires at the busy Sakponbà road.

We also have similar incident of illegal landing by one popular "pilot" He complained that the fuel got finished mid air, which landed him in a very sharp electric bulb wire owned by Mountain of Fire Church.

Witches and wizard planes. grin
Re: The First Plane Crash In Nigeria At Igbo Ilapa Hill In Ikogosi, Ekiti In 1942 by HeWrites(m): 12:55pm On Mar 26, 2019
lorhema:

The 1969 crash was a BOAC DC-10 airplane. I remember it because my father had gone to the airport to pick my mum up and he watched the plane come in, crash and burst into flames.

He came home sad because he believed my mum was a victim and talked about the crash. Then a telegram was delivered which stated that she did not take flight and would be coming home later.

She was very lucky
Re: The First Plane Crash In Nigeria At Igbo Ilapa Hill In Ikogosi, Ekiti In 1942 by uuzba(m): 12:59pm On Mar 26, 2019
since the taking off and landing of plane is the most dangerous part of air travel, all passengers should be given this cloth.
Take off and land by yourself. Come and join the plane in the air.

Re: The First Plane Crash In Nigeria At Igbo Ilapa Hill In Ikogosi, Ekiti In 1942 by stalwart123(m): 1:02pm On Mar 26, 2019
OpssonD1:

Why is it like that self? Same here abeg.

1 Like

Re: The First Plane Crash In Nigeria At Igbo Ilapa Hill In Ikogosi, Ekiti In 1942 by vioment: 1:14pm On Mar 26, 2019
It says the engine are still on the hill till this day. Can you imagine? that since 1942, the engine still dey hill for ekiti because the oyibos that caused it have not come with a tractor to remove it and clean up the area.

Our mumuism no start today, e full inside blood stream.

Black countries especially nigeria, no be him at all. Serious countries face massive disasters and in 3 months, you will not even know that something happened there, but in Nigeria, it will be there many years later.

Make them no make me vex, go carry the thing with hand go throw am inside dustbin, rubbish.
Re: The First Plane Crash In Nigeria At Igbo Ilapa Hill In Ikogosi, Ekiti In 1942 by Nobody: 1:19pm On Mar 26, 2019
hmm you mean by 1942 Nigerian photographers took photos in color? hmm something fishy, doubt if those photos are real, cos we had black n white tvs, but at least thanks for letting us know when official skull mining started in the west.
Re: The First Plane Crash In Nigeria At Igbo Ilapa Hill In Ikogosi, Ekiti In 1942 by hAlexandro(m): 1:27pm On Mar 26, 2019
sotall:
Not funny
it's have some sense of humor
Re: The First Plane Crash In Nigeria At Igbo Ilapa Hill In Ikogosi, Ekiti In 1942 by engrkaz(m): 1:37pm On Mar 26, 2019
OpssonD1:
Lol....U be fed civil servant.. I swear...February had only 20 days ba?
Re: The First Plane Crash In Nigeria At Igbo Ilapa Hill In Ikogosi, Ekiti In 1942 by wink2015(m): 1:40pm On Mar 26, 2019
AutoJoshNG:

The chance of surviving an air crash is very slim and as such is a disaster when they occur. According to statistics, most air crash occur during takeoffs or landing. Crashes during aircraft cruising are very minimal.

According to the Convention on International Civil Aviation, aviation accident is defined as an occurrence associated with the operation of an aircraft, which takes place from the time any person boards the aircraft with the intention of flight until all such persons have disembarked, and in which:

A person is fatally or seriously injured
The aircraft sustains significant damage or structural failure
The aircraft goes missing or becomes completely inaccessible.

It is worthy of mention to say that the first fatal aviation accident was near Wimereux, France, on the 15th day of June, 1785. The crash killed Jean-François Pilâtre de Rozier who is the balloon inventor, and the other occupant, Pierre Romain.

According to the research we at Autojosh were able to put together, the first plane crash in Nigeria occurred on April 12, 1942 at about 8:15pm on Igbo Ilapa Hill. It is a hill in Ikogosi town of Ekiti state. Ikogosi is the town where warm and cold spring co-exists on a spot. It attracted a lot of tourists.

The crash was during the World War II. A cargo plane loaded with ammunition which included explosives. Even after the crash, the explosives kept exploding for several hours. The explosion set the entire forest on fire which ended up destroying everything that existed there. Till this moment, two hole riddled engines and other body parts of the plane still lies on the hill.

When it comes to the first Nigerian owned aircraft to crash in Nigeria, Nigeria as a country recorded its first plane crash on November 20, 1969. The crashed aircraft was a government-owned DC-10 aircraft. It was traveling from London and ended up crash-landing in Lagos. The crash claimed the lives of 87 passengers and a crew on board.

Source: https://autojosh.com/first-plane-crash-nigeria-history/

NICE SHARE !

May tragedy never come near us.
Re: The First Plane Crash In Nigeria At Igbo Ilapa Hill In Ikogosi, Ekiti In 1942 by Denikayan: 1:47pm On Mar 26, 2019
Benin people brought the plane down

I know the history
Re: The First Plane Crash In Nigeria At Igbo Ilapa Hill In Ikogosi, Ekiti In 1942 by hsafarms: 1:53pm On Mar 26, 2019
JasonScoolari:

So as responsible as we think you are here on Nairaland, you too get yourself involved in tribalism and petty comments like

Dehvehlop

Sonsomegrigbo

Salamrushdie Fukafuka and so on...

You just broke my heart....

BTW I'm from Benin and we are not devils as you just painted us..

Shun tribalism, it is bad for our unity

2 Likes

Re: The First Plane Crash In Nigeria At Igbo Ilapa Hill In Ikogosi, Ekiti In 1942 by Nobody: 2:50pm On Mar 26, 2019
sotall:
Not funny
It's so unfortunate that you lost your sense of humor to that amala and ewedu you ate this morning.

2 Likes

Re: The First Plane Crash In Nigeria At Igbo Ilapa Hill In Ikogosi, Ekiti In 1942 by AreaFada2: 3:15pm On Mar 26, 2019
quentin06:
hmm you mean by 1942 Nigerian photographers took photos in color? hmm something fishy, doubt if those photos are real, cos we had black n white tvs, but at least thanks for letting us know when official skull mining started in the west.

Seems like a relatively new pic of an old plane wreck.
Re: The First Plane Crash In Nigeria At Igbo Ilapa Hill In Ikogosi, Ekiti In 1942 by aalangel(f): 4:29pm On Mar 26, 2019
JasonScoolari:

You just made me laugh out in the office....
Re: The First Plane Crash In Nigeria At Igbo Ilapa Hill In Ikogosi, Ekiti In 1942 by ushafe(m): 6:06pm On Mar 26, 2019
JasonScoolari:

I am a witness to all these but he quoted a wrong year
Re: The First Plane Crash In Nigeria At Igbo Ilapa Hill In Ikogosi, Ekiti In 1942 by adamsumale(m): 6:12pm On Mar 26, 2019
uuzba:
since the taking off and landing of plane is the most dangerous part of air travel, all passengers should be given this cloth.
Take off and land by yourself. Come and join the plane in the air.

But if I say you well ehnnn.. I dey cheat you....lol
Re: The First Plane Crash In Nigeria At Igbo Ilapa Hill In Ikogosi, Ekiti In 1942 by mungoparks: 6:39pm On Mar 26, 2019
ogmask:

For your mind na joke u joke so. Like say the kpians wey dey your town dey make pple rich.
leave that fool,na ozuo.
Re: The First Plane Crash In Nigeria At Igbo Ilapa Hill In Ikogosi, Ekiti In 1942 by Nobody: 7:35pm On Mar 26, 2019
Dear poster,
The DC 10 didn't fly until 1970, and it started commercial services in 1971.
Re: The First Plane Crash In Nigeria At Igbo Ilapa Hill In Ikogosi, Ekiti In 1942 by JasonScoolari: 8:17pm On Mar 26, 2019
hsafarms:

So as responsible as we think you are here on Nairaland, you too get yourself involved in tribalism and petty comments like

Dehvehlop

Sonsomegrigbo

Salamrushdie Fukafuka and so on...

You just broke my heart....

BTW I'm from Benin and we are not devils as you just painted us..

Shun tribalism, it is bad for our unity
Kindly shut up if you lost your sense of humor. It's not my fault you lost it.

I do joke about my State too and mind you, Edo is my second home.

Next time, you read with sense.

1 Like

Re: The First Plane Crash In Nigeria At Igbo Ilapa Hill In Ikogosi, Ekiti In 1942 by Abuloma80(f): 8:20pm On Mar 26, 2019
Joromi12:
1942 at 8.pm Haba which kind lie be that

Why the doubt? Do you mean that, there is no 8:pm for 1942.
Re: The First Plane Crash In Nigeria At Igbo Ilapa Hill In Ikogosi, Ekiti In 1942 by Nobody: 9:47pm On Mar 26, 2019
Abuloma80:

Why the doubt? Do you mean that, there is no 8:pm for 1942.
why would u wanna fly at that time when the airports prob had no light
Re: The First Plane Crash In Nigeria At Igbo Ilapa Hill In Ikogosi, Ekiti In 1942 by ogmask: 4:37pm On Mar 27, 2019
mungoparks:
leave that fool,na ozuo.

The guy na Big Ozuo.

(1) (2) (Reply)

La Campagne Tropicana, The Most Beautiful Beach Resort In Nigeria. / Air Peace Flight Lost A Tire While Landing At Lagos Airport / Flood In Polobubou Tsekelewu, Delta State As Children Swim In Their Classes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.