Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,083 members, 7,821,728 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 05:20 PM

‘jega Must Be A Superman To Excel’ ! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / ‘jega Must Be A Superman To Excel’ ! (515 Views)

A JEGA Must Go Protest Currently On Along Ikorodu Road Lagos / Jega-must-go Protest In Warri, Delta State [see Pictures] / Why Jega Must Clear His Name Or Face The Consequences - Sahara Reporters (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

‘jega Must Be A Superman To Excel’ ! by wales(m): 6:10am On Sep 07, 2010
Attahiru Jega, the chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) must be ready to become a miracle worker or magician to deliver all that he has promised Nigerians ahead of the 2011 general elections, Ishola Williams has said.

Speaking at the 11th Mike Okonkwo annual lecture held in Lagos yesterday, the retired military general who spoke on the coming elections while referring to the N87 billion for the commission said, “I do not know why he is asking for that amount of money. He must have some reasons for doing that, therefore, let us see what the outcome will be.

“But like I said when he was taking over the job, he must be a superman or a magician to do all that. Whether we like it or not, we have to vote.”

Forfeited chance

Mr Williams who narrated his experience during the late Sani Abacha-led junta said, “I will not agree with the cancellation of the election (1993 election) and I told them then that if they are going to take over the government, I will go, and then I left. I left with three days notice. I couldn’t agree when Abacha took over and I left because I felt very strongly and I still feel strongly about that election. That was the second greatest mistake after decree number one that Nigeria made.

“That was the best election we ever conducted, and what did we use? Option A4. In fact, when my name was been tipped as the chairman of INEC, I said one of the conditions that can make me take the job is if they allow option A4.”

Nigerians arise

Mr Williams also urged Nigerians not to be disappointed if the Jega-led INEC’s promises were not delivered and things did not turn out as expected, citing the fact that Nigerians have so much relied on the leadership class for change, despite the fact that the abetting and compromise of a teaming percentage of the followers have allowed the leadership to go on unchallenged.

According to him, no matter the integrity of those that the government may be packing into the electoral commission, Nigerians must realise their role in ensuring the success of installing true governance.

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/News/5615711-147/jega_must_be_a_superman_to.csp

(1) (Reply)

Ig Onovo Sacked / Next President Should Be Ethnically Mixed / Election Timetable Too Tight —politicians.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.