Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,787 members, 7,827,904 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 06:57 PM

Share Your Opinion: Is It Right To ALWAYS Beat Your Dog When Training Them? - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / Share Your Opinion: Is It Right To ALWAYS Beat Your Dog When Training Them? (3805 Views)

Have You Ever Been Chased By A Dog? Share Your Experience / Have You Been Chased By A Dog Before? Share Your Experience. / Would You Allow Your Dog To Kill A Thief/Robber In Your Home? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Share Your Opinion: Is It Right To ALWAYS Beat Your Dog When Training Them? by originalme1: 8:19pm On Mar 27, 2019
Hey Nairaland!

So I visited my friend and we were watching his pets, (dogs, cats and rabbits). So one of his dogs urinated in its cage and the next thing, he beat the hell out of the dog. I felt sorry for the dog and I begged him to stop and he said if one does no do that, the dog can never be smart when it grows (its just 7months old).
So I asked if he beats them all the time and he said yes and he even has canes for them. Yes canes!
Now my question is it right to beat your dog all the time just so you want them to be smart when they grow? Personally I think its animal brutality but... want your opinion.
Thanks.
Re: Share Your Opinion: Is It Right To ALWAYS Beat Your Dog When Training Them? by falcon01: 8:30pm On Mar 27, 2019
very very bad.. The dog will be stupid and will be scared of the owner, it will also have low self esteem.

4 Likes

Re: Share Your Opinion: Is It Right To ALWAYS Beat Your Dog When Training Them? by sureboykris(m): 9:04pm On Mar 27, 2019
I once trained my GSD with cane...Especially potty training. He turned out fine ..But na occasional flogging, not everytime

4 Likes

Re: Share Your Opinion: Is It Right To ALWAYS Beat Your Dog When Training Them? by OsuGanja(m): 7:33am On Mar 28, 2019
A lot of people will spew thrash on this thread but truth is majority of people beat their dogs,I beat mine too but not all the time... Most times I go give the dog better para with deep voice and them go get sense and sometimes Na cane go deliver the message... I don’t support extreme beating... Sometimes abara sef issa goal..

5 Likes

Re: Share Your Opinion: Is It Right To ALWAYS Beat Your Dog When Training Them? by space9880: 12:56am On Mar 30, 2019
I don't think it is good but honestly it is not possible for me to hold my self sometimes cos dogs behave stupidly and I just have to apply my hands grin

2 Likes

Re: Share Your Opinion: Is It Right To ALWAYS Beat Your Dog When Training Them? by Nobody: 4:59pm On Mar 30, 2019
You have to discipline them na, so beating is necessary, if not they will be misbehaving toomuch, there are some things my dogs used to do that I did not like, so anytime they do such things, I floged them then later on they did not repeat such things again.
Re: Share Your Opinion: Is It Right To ALWAYS Beat Your Dog When Training Them? by Namdeenero(m): 6:19am On Mar 31, 2019
After 7 months of training with cane what result did he get?? Some people Sha

That dog might have been giving him some signs of discomfort but he didn't notice hence the poor dog had to pee in his cage

1 Like

Re: Share Your Opinion: Is It Right To ALWAYS Beat Your Dog When Training Them? by Nobody: 12:23am On Apr 01, 2019
Namdeenero:
After 7 months of training with cane what result did he get?? Some people Sha

That dog might have been giving him some signs of discomfort but he didn't notice hence the poor dog had to pee in his cage

You and falcon01 are the only people that made sense on this thread. Others don't know what they are saying.

Beating a dog when he pees or poos whereever would only teach the dog not to do it in the owners presence.

There are training you can give a dog to teach it where to go potty. The owner is simply ignorant and not willing to learn how to potty train a dog. What an idiot.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Share Your Opinion: Is It Right To ALWAYS Beat Your Dog When Training Them? by GRACEGLORY: 1:42am On Apr 01, 2019
originalme1:
Hey Nairaland!

So I visited my friend and we were watching his pets, (dogs, cats and rabbits). So one of his dogs urinated in its cage and the next thing, he beat the hell out of the dog. I felt sorry for the dog and I begged him to stop and he said if one does no do that, the dog can never be smart when it grows (its just 7months old).
So I asked if he beats them all the time and he said yes and he even has canes for them. Yes canes!
Now my question is it right to beat your dog all the time just so you want them to be smart when they grow? Personally I think its animal brutality but... want your opinion.
Thanks.

Beat, abi flog
Re: Share Your Opinion: Is It Right To ALWAYS Beat Your Dog When Training Them? by space9880: 3:49am On Apr 04, 2019
Jackofall:

You and falcon01 are the only people that made sense on this thread. Others don't know what they are saying.

Beating a dog when he pees or poos whereever would only teach the dog not to do it in the owners presence.

There are training you can give a dog to teach it where to go potty. The owner is simply ignorant and not willing to learn how to potty train a dog. What an idiot.
you don't have to use foul words oga OP asked for your opinion on beating dogs not for you to come and attack people and besides he talked about dog training and gave an example so it's not just down to peeing or pooing

1 Like

Re: Share Your Opinion: Is It Right To ALWAYS Beat Your Dog When Training Them? by Nobody: 7:55am On Apr 04, 2019
space9880:
you don't have to use foul words oga OP asked for your opinion on beating dogs not for you to come and attack people and besides he talked about dog training and gave an example so it's not just down to peeing or pooing

OP never talked about dog training. are your eyes paining you or what?
Re: Share Your Opinion: Is It Right To ALWAYS Beat Your Dog When Training Them? by space9880: 11:14pm On Apr 05, 2019
Jackofall:

carry your Wahala go

1 Like

Re: Share Your Opinion: Is It Right To ALWAYS Beat Your Dog When Training Them? by segzypark(m): 11:01am On Apr 06, 2019
Yea flogging your dog sometimes is nice but not every time else the dog will develop low self extreme and also gets timid ones an outsider raises his/her in the dogs presense. You could use harsh tone,decide not to play with your dog. Dogs understand signs and psycological emotions.

1 Like

Re: Share Your Opinion: Is It Right To ALWAYS Beat Your Dog When Training Them? by frowland(m): 11:52am On Apr 06, 2019
originalme1:
Hey Nairaland!

Thanks.

The way Ajengunle mother treats her pikin is different from the way VGC mums beat their kids (take note of the bold words). But both grows to be great men one way or another.

1 Like

Re: Share Your Opinion: Is It Right To ALWAYS Beat Your Dog When Training Them? by frowland(m): 11:55am On Apr 06, 2019
Jackofall:

OP visited. He does not live with the owner to know all. Thanks.
Re: Share Your Opinion: Is It Right To ALWAYS Beat Your Dog When Training Them? by frowland(m): 12:03pm On Apr 06, 2019
originalme1:
Hey Nairaland!

Thanks.

Hi mate, I have top breeds. Some are crack head and some are calm. Do not compare those that have Lhasa, eskimo etc etc to those that have massive breeds like Canecarso, Mastiffs, Caucasians etc. Its easy to use words to calm some breeds and its also hard to many others because neighbors will think you are mad as you will be shouting all the time.
Yes, I use cane for dogs but I hardly use them. At early age, they get to know this authority. Once you establish yourself as the alpha, then no need for the cane.
Secondly and most importantly, only one person should do the 'beating' sort of thing and not everyone in the house.
In my house, anyone that raises a cane to beat any of my dogs might end up being a dead meat but once I come with cane they all scamper to safety.
So OP, your question is relative. Not applicable in ALL situation. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Share Your Opinion: Is It Right To ALWAYS Beat Your Dog When Training Them? by Nobody: 10:52pm On Apr 17, 2019
frowland:

Hi mate, I have top breeds. Some are crack head and some are calm. Do not compare those that have Lhasa, eskimo etc etc to those that have massive breeds like Canecarso, Mastiffs, Caucasians etc. Its easy to use words to calm some breeds and its also hard to many others because neighbors will think you are mad as you will be shouting all the time.
Yes, I use cane for dogs but I hardly use them. At early age, they get to know this authority. Once you establish yourself as the alpha, then no need for the cane.
Secondly and most importantly, only one person should do the 'beating' sort of thing and not everyone in the house.
In my house, anyone that raises a cane to beat any of my dogs might end up being a dead meat but once I come with cane they all scamper to safety.
So OP, your question is relative. Not applicable in ALL situation. Thanks.

So you flog a dog with a cain for pooing or peeing in the wrong place?
Re: Share Your Opinion: Is It Right To ALWAYS Beat Your Dog When Training Them? by frowland(m): 3:57am On Apr 18, 2019
Jackofall:

So you flog a dog with a cain for pooing or peeing in the wrong place?

..People like you have comprehension problem and I don't have such time explaining anything to you. Hypocrites, they will come here to pretend holier than thau. Even people with kids once in a while tap their kids when they act wrongly, talk more of a dog.
Put on a white dress or a very good cloth and on your way in/out the dog is jumping all over you (Which happens all the time). Lets see if you will use only a voice to send the dog away by shouting "Billy no, stop it! Go away now! Billy, Billy!! Stop staining my cloth! Billy you are making a mess of my cloth! Hahaha.
Now let me assume I flog the dog for peeing as you typed up there, what will you do? Arrest me or ban me from NL?
I have some of the top breeds in the country and neighbours are always asking, how I trained them to be so deadly and the same time obedient? I did not do that by being a hypocrite like some people here. I understood my dogs and I handle them based on their individual behaviours.

3 Likes

Re: Share Your Opinion: Is It Right To ALWAYS Beat Your Dog When Training Them? by 1000angstroms(m): 6:18am On Apr 18, 2019
Nna eeh! Make I no lie, I vowed never to beat my dog but he did something that made me insane and I lost it but I pray he didn't misunderstand me I swear. Now I'll only have to use a harsh tone or hold slippers to deliver a message. Abeg people wey get all those rots and Mastiffs how una dey cope?
Re: Share Your Opinion: Is It Right To ALWAYS Beat Your Dog When Training Them? by Nobody: 7:52am On Apr 18, 2019
frowland:

..People like you have comprehension problem and I don't have such time explaining anything to you. Hypocrites, they will come here to pretend holier than thau. Even people with kids once in a while tap their kids when they act wrongly, talk more of a dog.
Put on a white dress or a very good cloth and on your way in/out the dog is jumping all over you (Which happens all the time). Lets see if you will use only a voice to send the dog away by shouting "Billy no, stop it! Go away now! Billy, Billy!! Stop staining my cloth! Billy you are making a mess of my cloth! Hahaha.
Now let me assume I flog the dog for peeing as you typed up there, what will you do? Arrest me or ban me from NL?
I have some of the top breeds in the country and neighbours are always asking, how I trained them to be so deadly and the same time obedient? I did not do that by being a hypocrite like some people here. I understood my dogs and I handle them based on their individual behaviours.

Hahahahahaha, I'm not an hypocrite because I have only had a dog and I have never flogged my dog with a cane. The closest to flogging I have ever done is using my hand to beat her buttocks when she urinated on my bed, it was immediately it happens that I beat her with my hands. so she understands that me beating her with my hand was because she urinated at the wrong place.

See ehnn, nobody will hold you from beating your dogs up with Cain, same way some humans beat their kids, that doesn't mean it's the right thing to do.

Positive punishment(for example, flogging your dog for doing something undesirable) works in behavioral modification, but it's not the best. If at all you need to punish your dog, negative punishment(removing something they like to punish them) is the way to go. I'm using negative and positive in the scientific way, not grammatically. For instance everytime your dog jumps on you, you always turn your back at it and walk away grumpy, if everyone does that to the dog anytime the dog jumps at the person, turning away and walking away with an annoyed mood, the dog will begin to understand that jumping on people is not desirable. That is negative(removal of something good) punishment(to reduce bad behavior).

Then there is also positive reinforcement. This is when you give your dog something for doing something good so as to increase such behavior in future, like anytime your dog doesn't jump on you anytime it normally jumps on you, you reward the behavior immediately with a treat or clicker sound associated with a treat. You have to combine negative punishment with positive reinforcement.

Can you see that it's a whole science course on its own. Animal behavioral science is not something you experiment with or just do anyhow because others are doing it. Everyone is flogging their dog for doing something bad works, but that doesn't make it the best method, because it can backfire and cause your dog to hate you. It can kill your dog self esteem, it can make your dog develop anxiety and a lot of other problems. It can destroy the good relationship you have been building with your dog for long.

I almost destroyed my relationship with Beverly when I tried using positive punishment method, she almost attacked me and was reclusive. Since then I have been reading different books on animal behavior and the best scientific methods to use.

It's not about hypocrisy or ITK. It's what works best, scientifically tested and confirmed to work best.

1 Like

Re: Share Your Opinion: Is It Right To ALWAYS Beat Your Dog When Training Them? by frowland(m): 8:29am On Apr 18, 2019
Jackofall:

Hahahahahaha, I'm not an hypocrite because I have only had a dog and I have never flogged my dog with a cane. The closest to flogging I have ever done is using my hand to beat her buttocks when she urinated on my bed, it was immediately it happens that I beat her with my hands. so she understands that me beating her with my hand was because she urinated at the wrong place.

See ehnn, nobody will hold you from beating your dogs up with Cain, same way some humans beat their kids, that doesn't mean it's the right thing to do.

Positive punishment(for example, flogging your dog for doing something undesirable) works in behavioral modification, but it's not the best. If at all you need to punish your dog, negative punishment(removing something they like to punish them) is the way to go. I'm using negative and positive in the scientific way, not grammatically. For instance everytime your dog jumps on you, you always turn your back at it and walk away grumpy, if everyone does that to the dog anytime the dog jumps at the person, turning away and walking away with an annoyed mood, the dog will begin to understand that jumping on people is not desirable. That is negative(removal of something good) punishment(to reduce bad behavior).

Then there is also positive reinforcement. This is when you give your dog something for doing something good so as to increase such behavior in future, like anytime your dog doesn't jump on you anytime it normally jumps on you, you reward the behavior immediately with a treat or clicker sound associated with a treat. You have to combine negative punishment with positive reinforcement.

Can you see that it's a whole science course on its own. Animal behavioral science is not something you experiment with or just do anyhow because others are doing it. Everyone is flogging their dog for doing something bad works, but that doesn't make it the best method, because it can backfire and cause your dog to hate you. It can kill your dog self esteem, it can make your dog develop anxiety and a lot of other problems. It can destroy the good relationship you have been building with your dog for long.

I almost destroyed my relationship with Beverly when I tried using positive punishment method, she almost attacked me and was reclusive. Since then I have been reading different books on animal behavior and the best scientific methods to use.

It's not about hypocrisy or ITK. It's what works best, scientifically tested and confirmed to work best.

That's an example with your dog and it does not mean it works with other dog owners. Some of us have about 5-10 dogs roaming the compound (I currently have 9 massive breeds and one Lhasa). You beat only one for peeing, then imagine what people who had 3-10 go through.
I don't like people who come online to pretend they are saints. Regarding use of cane, I don't use a cane for my dogs either because the time they misbehave you wont be running around looking for the cane. Infact, I no longer have the need for cane as the new puppies learn from the older one when I query them.
I live in my own house. 2 plots, one developed and the other still empty and an uncompleted building beside and behind mine. So for security reasons, I breed and train my dogs to be deadly and fierce and you don't achieve that by Billy Seat down, Billy No command,
Finally, take a walk to any army barracks and see where dogs are trained and you wont be here typing this long grammar.
Re: Share Your Opinion: Is It Right To ALWAYS Beat Your Dog When Training Them? by Nobody: 8:58am On Apr 18, 2019
frowland:

That's an example with your dog and it does not mean it works with other dog owners. Some of us have about 5-10 dogs roaming the compound (I currently have 9 massive breeds and one Lhasa). You beat only one for peeing, then imagine what people who had 3-10 go through.
I don't like people who come online to pretend they are saints. Regarding use of cane, I don't use a cane for my dogs either because the time they misbehave you wont be running around looking for the cane. Infact, I no longer have the need for cane as the new puppies learn from the older one when I query them.
I live in my own house. 2 plots, one developed and the other still empty and an uncompleted building beside and behind mine. So for security reasons, I breed and train my dogs to be deadly and fierce and you don't achieve that by Billy Seat down, Billy No command,
Finally, take a walk to any army barracks and see where dogs are trained and you wont be here typing this long grammar.

No, I'm not pretending to be a saint, I cannot ignore when someone is doing the wrong thing when I know the right thing to do instead.

I dont know about training dogs for security.

Whether it involves positive punishment, that I don't know, what I know is training pet dogs to be the best they can be.
We all learn everyday, you can read up on the effects of punishment and other aversion methods of dog training.

https://barksfromtheguild.com/2014/10/06/seven-effects-of-punishment-2/

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/canine-corner/201205/is-punishment-effective-way-change-the-behavior-dogs

But if you don't want to be open minded to what I'm saying. It's your dogs. I wish you good luck.
Re: Share Your Opinion: Is It Right To ALWAYS Beat Your Dog When Training Them? by frowland(m): 9:22am On Apr 18, 2019
Jackofall:

No, I'm not pretending to be a saint, I cannot ignore when someone is doing the wrong thing when I know the right thing to do instead.

I dont know about training dogs for security.

Whether it involves positive punishment, that I don't know, what I know is training pet dogs to be the best they can be.
We all learn everyday, you can read up on the effects of punishment and other aversion methods of dog training.

https://barksfromtheguild.com/2014/10/06/seven-effects-of-punishment-2/

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/canine-corner/201205/is-punishment-effective-way-change-the-behavior-dogs

But if you don't want to be open minded to what I'm saying. It's your dogs. I wish you good luck.

Bro there is no noticeable negative effect with my dogs and did the writer of those articles made example with people with so many dogs or just one dog on a sofa kind of example?
You have no idea what we go through daily mate.
Even my gate-man appears tired dealing with some of my dogs. Look, someone wrote those stuffs and not God, I can as well seat down one day and write the benefit of punishing your dog ~ It works both ways.
If my dogs are not obedient, fearless and well trained even from 3 months, orders and demands wont be coming from all over the country and even Ghana. So let the article writers keep their opinion to themselves.
Anyway, I am not sure this conversation will change anyone's view. Treat your dog the best way you deemed fit. Thanks and have a nice day.

2 Likes

Re: Share Your Opinion: Is It Right To ALWAYS Beat Your Dog When Training Them? by vincentjk(m): 10:21am On Apr 18, 2019
Sometimes i kick my dogs if they mess up but i don't beat them

It doesn't make sense nao
Re: Share Your Opinion: Is It Right To ALWAYS Beat Your Dog When Training Them? by Nobody: 11:25am On Apr 18, 2019
frowland:

Bro there is no noticeable negative effect with my dogs and did the writer of those articles made example with people with so many dogs or just one dog on a sofa kind of example?
You have no idea what we go through daily mate.
Even my gate-man appears tired dealing with some of my dogs. Look, someone wrote those stuffs and not God, I can as well seat down one day and write the benefit of punishing your dog ~ It works both ways.
If my dogs are not obedient, fearless and well trained even from 3 months, orders and demands wont be coming from all over the country and even Ghana. So let the article writers keep their opinion to themselves.
Anyway, I am not sure this conversation will change anyone's view. Treat your dog the best way you deemed fit. Thanks and have a nice day.

Maybe it's because of your method that makes managing your dogs stressful, because you said you are going through a lot.

Perhaps if you use another method it would be easier for you to manage your dog.

And this is not any one's opinion, but research works supports what I'm saying

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/313898614_The_Effects_of_Using_Aversive_Training_Methods_in_Dogs_-_A_Review

https://www.academia.edu/6008233/Dog_Training_Education_Dominance-based_v.s._Positive-reinforcement

And you are right about this conversation not changing any one's opinion, because it's also been proven that facts don't convince people. So even if I post 10 research articles to support my assertions, you will still not be willing to look into it.

https://ed.ted.com/featured/hI9YSFHW

But I believe hopefully, some people would look into it and change. That's one of the reason for this conversation.

1 Like

Re: Share Your Opinion: Is It Right To ALWAYS Beat Your Dog When Training Them? by frowland(m): 12:57pm On Apr 18, 2019
Jackofall:

Maybe it's because of your method that makes managing your dogs stressful, because you said you are going through a lot.

Perhaps if you use another method it would be easier for you to manage your dog.

And this is not any one's opinion, but research works supports what I'm saying

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/313898614_The_Effects_of_Using_Aversive_Training_Methods_in_Dogs_-_A_Review

https://www.academia.edu/6008233/Dog_Training_Education_Dominance-based_v.s._Positive-reinforcement

And you are right about this conversation not changing any one's opinion, because it's also been proven that facts don't convince people. So even if I post 10 research articles to support my assertions, you will still not be willing to look into it.

https://ed.ted.com/featured/hI9YSFHW

But I believe hopefully, some people would look into it and change. That's one of the reason for this conversation.

Noted.
Re: Share Your Opinion: Is It Right To ALWAYS Beat Your Dog When Training Them? by Nobody: 2:38pm On Apr 18, 2019
frowland:

Pls can you give me a few tips on how I can make my own dogs deadly, so far they are aggressive, and don't like strangers because I cage them and chain them alot, but I want them to be deadly, so what else can I do?
Re: Share Your Opinion: Is It Right To ALWAYS Beat Your Dog When Training Them? by frowland(m): 8:49pm On Apr 18, 2019
mhd5757:

Pls can you give me a few tips on how I can make my own dogs deadly, so far they are aggressive, and don't like strangers because I cage them and chain them alot, but I want them to be deadly, so what else can I do?

Some dogs naturally have that trait while some are trained to and others aren't interested at all.
What breed of dog do you have?
Re: Share Your Opinion: Is It Right To ALWAYS Beat Your Dog When Training Them? by space9880: 9:49pm On Apr 18, 2019
frowland:

he's probably out looking for trouble

1 Like

Re: Share Your Opinion: Is It Right To ALWAYS Beat Your Dog When Training Them? by Nobody: 10:21pm On Apr 18, 2019
frowland:

Some dogs naturally have that trait while some are trained to and others aren't interested at all.
What breed of dog do you have?
One is a male gsd and the Other is a female Rott/gsd mix.

They are very aggressive too, and unfriendly to strangers, definitely not the kind of Dogs you can just walk up to and Pet. But i want them to be extra aggressive hence making them deadly.
Re: Share Your Opinion: Is It Right To ALWAYS Beat Your Dog When Training Them? by OtyandTheFangs: 11:54am On Apr 19, 2019
Originalme1, That dog will respect him out of FEAR and not out of LOVE. And if the dog has a choice, it will do two things 1. Run away at any chance it gets OR 2. It'll bite the dude with all the strength its got. Yh, sh!t happens.

1 Like

Re: Share Your Opinion: Is It Right To ALWAYS Beat Your Dog When Training Them? by OtyandTheFangs: 1:11pm On Apr 19, 2019
[b]An acclaimed dog trainer was invited to a house that had a very aggressive dog, a Rottweiler the dog was.
They asked him if he could tame the dog and make it less aggressive.
And he said "Of course, I surely can. It's not that hard"
So he took sticks, piled them up and used each on the dog. He changed sticks when the other broke and so it went, changing and using diff sticks to beat the hell out of the dog.
Till when the dog couldn't muster the strength to bark and cry.
"YES!" he thought he had tamed the monster.
So he came again the next day to see if the dog still proved stubborn and needed more whooping.
When the dog saw him, it didn't bark or growl at all, it just cawed its head.
The man feeling fly was bragging and waving his hands for gestures.
One of his hands was only few inches from the gnashing teeths of the dog when the dog grabbed his arm and tore off skin like a piece of cloth
He's still in a hospital I guess
Lessons we learn
[/b]

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Female Rottweiler Puppy For Sale. From Imported German Bloodline(parents) / PIX - I Just Bought A Puppy - I'm So Elated / Reptile Lovers! Pls Help Identify Dis Creature

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 114
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.