Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,737 members, 7,824,089 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 10:31 PM

AFCON 2019: Who Should Be Nigeria No.1 Keeper? - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / AFCON 2019: Who Should Be Nigeria No.1 Keeper? (959 Views)

AFCON 2019: Who Are Your Top 3 Super Eagles Players So Far? / AFCON 2019: Who Faces Who In Round Of 16? / Seychelles Vs Nigeria: AFCON 2019 Qualifier - 0 - 3 (Full Time) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

AFCON 2019: Who Should Be Nigeria No.1 Keeper? by robosky02(m): 8:59pm On Mar 28, 2019
AFCON 2019: Who should be Nigeria no.1 keeper?

The super eagles of Nigeria returned to the AFCON is style after missing out of the last 2 edition. And is been considerd in some quarters as a top contender for the title.
So far the team has beef up at the departments with injection of new players.
However one area that is giving fans concern is the goal keeping departmentm especially with Uzoho fumbling against Seychells with again cast doubt.
Nigeria currectly has 3 keepers

Francis Uzoho

Daniel Akpeyi

Ikechukwu Ezenwa

Who do you think should be no.1 at afcon or do we look for another before the time.

Lalasticlala mynd44
Sourc: robosky02

Re: AFCON 2019: Who Should Be Nigeria No.1 Keeper? by majamajic(m): 9:05pm On Mar 28, 2019
uzoho

1 Like

Re: AFCON 2019: Who Should Be Nigeria No.1 Keeper? by robosky02(m): 9:06pm On Mar 28, 2019
Switzerland-based goalkeeper Sebastian Osigwe ready to challenge Francis Uzoho, Daniel Akpeyi and Ikechukwu Ezenwa for Super Eagles number one shirt.
The 24-year-old who was born to a Nigerian father and a Swiss mother is currently plying his trade with SC Kriens and he is arguably Nigeria’s most consistent keeper in Europe with over 100 first team appearances for his Swiss Challenge League side.

Re: AFCON 2019: Who Should Be Nigeria No.1 Keeper? by Samakus(m): 9:39pm On Mar 28, 2019
robosky02:

Switzerland-based goalkeeper Sebastian Osigwe ready to challenge Francis Uzoho, Daniel Akpeyi and Ikechukwu Ezenwa for Super Eagles number one shirt.
The 24-year-old who was born to a Nigerian father and a Swiss mother is currently plying his trade with SC Kriens and he is arguably Nigeria’s most consistent keeper in Europe with over 100 first team appearances for his Swiss Challenge League side.

He plays for a team that concedes goals like it's Christmas! Basket better pass am.

For a team that has scored 37goals and conceded 41 goals in 25 Challenge League games, the goal keeper is not good enough for Enyimba, let alone Super Eagles
Re: AFCON 2019: Who Should Be Nigeria No.1 Keeper? by robosky02(m): 12:48am On Mar 29, 2019
Afelokhai shone as Enyimba reached the semi-final of last year’s CAF Confederation Cup and he did so while keeping Super Eagles goalkeeper Ikechukwu Ezenwa on the bench for most of the season.

Re: AFCON 2019: Who Should Be Nigeria No.1 Keeper? by robosky02(m): 6:53am On Mar 29, 2019
Tops List Of Nigerian Goalkeepers Based In Europe Available To Roh

As coach Gernot Rohr begins the process of finding more options in goal for the Super Eagles after their campaign at the Russia 2018 World Cup, Owngoalnigeria.com take a look at the options available to the Franco-German coach.

1. Dele Alampasu ( CD Feirense) : He was first choice ahead of Uzoho at the 2013 U17 World Youth Championship but his failures to establish himself at Portuguese side CD Feirense has saw him drop down the pecking order in the senior national team.

So far he has gotten game time in pre season training, it however remains to be seen if he will get same when the league resum

2. Maduka Okoye ( Fortuna Dusseldorf) – His availability was brought to the attention of Nigerians by coach Gernot Rohr, who confirmed positive talks with the shot stopper early this year.

At newly promoted Bundesliga side Fortuna Dusseldorf, Okoye who was born in Germany to a Nigerian father and a German mother is now ‎firmly established as the third choice goalkeeper of the team and has so far kept some games in pre season.

3. David Nwokolor ( Sered) -. A botched friendly game against Egypt denied him the chance of making his debut for the Super Eagles while he was on loan to Bosnian side Vitez. Presently on loan from HNK Rijeka to Slovakian side SKF Sered, the 22 year old Nwokolor comes highly recommended.

So far he has played more top flight games than any Nigerian goalkeeper in Europe bar Vincent Enyeama ‎, although last season the Football Academy Abuja graduate was out injured, hence didn’t play at all.

4 Sebastian Osigwe ( Kriens) – A one time invitee to the Nigerian U20 team. The now 24 year old struggled to get games at newly promoted Switzerland second division side SC Kriens. He played just once based on our checks and unless he regains the number one spot, he might as well kiss his national team career bye bye.
Re: AFCON 2019: Who Should Be Nigeria No.1 Keeper? by robosky02(m): 7:06am On Mar 29, 2019
Samakus:

He plays for a team that concedes goals like it's Christmas! Basket better pass am.

For a team that has scored 37goals and conceded 41 goals in 25 Challenge League games, the goal keeper is not good enough for Enyimba, let alone Super Eagles

I don't think you know him

Sebastian Osigwe: Proudly Swiss-Nigerian eyes Super Eagles spot

I come from a humble background like most footballers; I was born in Switzerland but my dad is Nigerian and my mom is Swiss,” goalkeeper Sebastian Osigwe of Swiss club, SC Kriens, spoke eloquently about his Nigerian root with some pride. “I have visited Nigeria a couple of times and I really enjoyed the atmosphere. My dad is from Anambra State which is in the Eastern part of Nigeria.”

But for a man born in Switzerland and has lived the better part of his life in the European country to still have fufu and oha soup as his favourite meal speaks a lot about his allegiance to being  a Nigerian. And if you think pizza is a good dessert for him, you may be wrong as he enjoys puff-puff (doughnut) like the humble primary school pupil that clings to his mother’s wrappers until he gets one from road side vendors.

“I grew up eating Nigerian food and I love the various delicacies. My favourite is fufu and oha soup, I also love puff-puff a lot,” explained Osigwe. “Nigeria is blessed with very delicious delicacies and I enjoyed most of them when I visit Nigeria.”

He is also a huge fan of Nigerian music and fashion as he revealed: “Nigerian musicians are doing great, they play their songs across Europe and people enjoy the Afro-beat a lot. “I like so many Nigerian musicians but my favourite will be Star Boy WizKid, the beat of his songs are wonderful and you just have to move your body. He also has a great sense of dressing, he is always looking good.”

By the way, Osigwe is not all about Nigerian foods and music as he is passionate about representing Nigeria at senior levels after refusing the huge lure to play for Switzerland despite being part of their youth systems.

The 24-year-old is arguably Nigeria’s most consistent goalkeeper in Europe for the last four years, having made over 100 appearances for his Swiss club, SC Kriens.

He had a brief stint with the Flying Eagles of Nigeria during preparation for the U-20 World Cup in Turkey but did not make the final squad to the tournament and now feels more matured to fight for a place in the senior national team.

He said: “It was surely a great experience. I came into the team after they had qualified for the World Cup which was to be hosted by Turkey in 2013.

“I really loved my time there because we were like a family; we were always praying, singing and working very hard every day.

“I came into the team when preparation was in top gear for the World Cup and also participated in a preparatory tournament (i.e. Toulon Tournament) where I had the opportunity to get my first cap for Nigeria (at youth level though) against Belgium. A

“As I said earlier, it was always a dream for me to play for my fatherland and ever since that dream was actualised my love for the country became stronger.

“I made good friends with most of the players and we still talk till now and especially the goalkeeper trainer who is the present goalkeeper coach of the Super Eagles (Alloy Agu) who was like a father to me and I also want to thank the head coach John Obuh for giving me an opportunity to serve my fatherland.”

Incidentally, Super Eagles Franco-German coach Gernot Rohr is combing Europe and the domestic league to find quality competition for 20-year-old number one, Francis Uzoho, who became Africa’s youngest goalkeeper at the 2018 FIFA World Cup in Russia.

Currently, Eagles’ back-up options, Daniel Akpeyi and Ikechukwu Ezenwa, are not in top form with the 2019 Africa Cup of Nation (AFCON) coming up in June.

With the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) reportedly setting the target of winning the competition, Rohr knows he needs the best in every position to be able to compete with the likes of Egypt, Senegal and Ghana and Osigwe is dreaming of a life opportunity to join the Super Eagles’ rank

“I believe by the Grace of God I’ll play for the Super Eagles,” he said. “Nigeria is blessed with very talented goalkeepers playing in Nigeria and outside Nigeria.

“But it is the dream of every Nigerian footballer to play for the Super Eagles or represent the team in a competition. It will not be an easy task competing with the current goalkeepers in the national team but if an opportunity comes up, I will definitely not misuse it.

“I can bring into the team my experience from what I have learnt playing in Europe. At the same time I want to give a healthy competition to the first choice goalkeeper, Francis Uzoho, who I think is a strong young goalkeeper with a very big future.

“I believe a big football country like Nigeria must have at least two or three good goalkeepers in the national team. Nigeria deserves this and I believe it is achievable because we are blessed with so many goalkeeping talents within and outside the country.”

Interestingly, Sebastian’s father, Vitalis Osigwe, was a professional footballer and he is hoping to emulate the legacy of his father who also represented Nigeria. “I began my football career at FC Luzern youth team where I was given my football education.

“I played there for a long time and it was a very good point in my life. I moved on to FC Emmenbrücke and to Zug 94 then finally to where I play currently SC Kriens.

“I was part of the U15’s, U16’s and U18’s youth sides of Switzerland. It was a great opportunity I had to train and play side by side with the best young talents in the country. I enjoyed myself with team back then and I learned a lot from my goalkeeper coaches and the education shaped me to become the goalkeeper I am today.

“Switzerland is blessed with very good goalkeepers, most of them play in the German Bu
Re: AFCON 2019: Who Should Be Nigeria No.1 Keeper? by robosky02(m): 9:46am On Apr 02, 2019
Let's go there

(1) (Reply)

HDMOVIES.COM / I gained too much weight, I need a rematch - Andy Ruiz / BETKING !!! (bello Adeniyi (BEGI) Reshaping Retail Betting Shops In Nigeria.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.