Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,307 members, 7,815,562 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:32 PM

What's Your Greatest Problem In Agriculture/agroprenure - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / What's Your Greatest Problem In Agriculture/agroprenure (833 Views)

I Have 1million Naira And I Want To Invest In Agriculture / Castor Farming In Nigeria: The Trending Niche In Agriculture That May Make You / Inadequate Storage Facilities: How It Is Affecting Our Agriculture (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What's Your Greatest Problem In Agriculture/agroprenure by Onlinefarmstore: 9:20pm On Mar 28, 2019
Please this trend is specifically for you to share the problem you encounter in agriculture, and member will answer it.
Mean while if you have ever had a problem share it and the way you solved it. Either as a farmer or agroprenure!
Re: What's Your Greatest Problem In Agriculture/agroprenure by emmaodet: 4:25pm On Sep 09, 2022
Onlinefarmstore:
Please this trend is specifically for you to share the problem you encounter in agriculture, and member will answer it.
Mean while if you have ever had a problem share it and the way you solved it. Either as a farmer or agroprenure!

My issue is human management.
I run my farm on proxy(far away and won’t be in the farm most of the time) and it is affecting my business.
How do companies run their farms effectively? Even when the owners are far away in abroad.
Does it mean I have to be in my farm personally to be successful in farm business?

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: What's Your Greatest Problem In Agriculture/agroprenure by Epositive(m): 7:32pm On Sep 09, 2022
emmaodet:

My issue is human management.
I run my farm on proxy(far away and won’t be in the farm most of the time) and it is affecting my business.
How do companies run their farms effectively? Even when the owners are far away in abroad.
Does it mean I have to be in my farm personally to be successful in farm business?
What's your staff size and what type of farming are you into?
Don't you have a farm manager?
Do you have a farm house (residence)?

1 Like

Re: What's Your Greatest Problem In Agriculture/agroprenure by emmaodet: 8:48pm On Sep 09, 2022
Epositive:

I use tractor to plough and harrow while i hire workers to plant, spray, weed and harvest but it seems it is not working.
I think it will be cheaper and less stressful if i have my own workers because external workers do delay, disappoint most times.
I will plough and ready to plant instantly to take advantage of the water still present in the soil all for workers to disappoint or tell me they are still working in another farm and will be ready in 3/4 days time.
Should i talk about the cost of transporting them to/from the farm?
Harvesting is the worse since they know i won't enter the farm and do it myself.
I plant mostly groundnuts and just tried maize and cassava this year
Re: What's Your Greatest Problem In Agriculture/agroprenure by emmaodet: 8:50pm On Sep 09, 2022
Epositive:

I have a farm manager. Igede from Benue but i don't have a farm house since i mostly use tractor.
I plan setting-up a farm house next year
Re: What's Your Greatest Problem In Agriculture/agroprenure by Epositive(m): 9:13pm On Sep 09, 2022
emmaodet:

I use tractor to plough and harrow while i hire workers to plant, spray, weed and harvest but it seems it is not working.
All things being equal, your return should be good.

I think it will be cheaper and less stressful if i have my own workers because external workers do delay, disappoint most times.
I will plough and ready to plant instantly to take advantage of the water still present in the soil all for workers to disappoint or tell me they are still working in another farm and will be ready in 3/4 days time.
Harvesting is the worse since they know i won't enter the farm and do it myself.

You seem too involved directly despite having a farm manager. And yes, it's better to have internal workers (somewhat permanent during cropping season). Constant monitoring and timeliness are very crucial for any agricultural enterprise, internal workers will help to achieve that better. Besides, there are a whole lot of dedicated labourers out there. The undedicated ones should be replaced as soon as possible. After all, machines have done the most tedious parts of the job.
That's great. Food crops.
I have a farm manager. Igede from Benue but I don't have a farm house since i mostly use tractor. I plan setting-up a farm house next year.
The farm manager ought to do more of the staffing, records keeping and work regulations. However,the farm house will ease their (both farm manager and labourers) work particularly if the farmland is further from residential areas. Not only will it fasten the works but also minimize the transport costs as they have a choice, q better choice even of staying on the farm. Plus, housing workers on the farm also help to drive away human pests. I hope you get it set up soon.

Do you market as well?
Re: What's Your Greatest Problem In Agriculture/agroprenure by emmaodet: 9:22pm On Sep 09, 2022
Epositive:

All things being equal, your return should be good.

You seem too involved directly despite having a farm manager. And yes, it's better to have internal workers (somewhat permanent during cropping season). Constant monitoring and timeliness are very crucial for any agricultural enterprise, internal workers will help to achieve that better.

That's great.

The farm manager ought to do more of the staffing, records keeping and work regulations. However,the farm house will ease their (both farm manager and labourers) work particularly if the farmland is further from residential areas. Not only will it fasten the works but also minimize the transport costs as they have a choice, q better choice even of staying on the farm. Plus, housing workers on the farm also help to drive away human pests. I hope you get it set up soon.

Thanks for your reply.

My concern is that if I have my permanent workers and manager, how do I monitor theft ?
What if my manager sells 50% of the chemicals bought while he claims he used all as required which will later affect the yield.
Fertilizers can be sold too likewise seeds and crops harvested.
How do I manage this issue?
Are you a farmer too? What is the average yearly payment for yearly farm workers?
Re: What's Your Greatest Problem In Agriculture/agroprenure by Epositive(m): 9:47pm On Sep 09, 2022
emmaodet:

Thanks for your reply.

My concern is that if I have my permanent workers and manager, how do I monitor theft ?
What if my manager sells 50% of the chemicals bought while he claims he used all as required which will later affect the yield.
Fertilizers can be sold too likewise seeds and crops harvested.
How do I manage this issue?
Are you a farmer too? What is the average yearly payment for yearly farm workers?

That's where supervision comes in. You have records for everything bought. The best way you can handle theft is by close monitoring. On the day of planting, you can be present so as to ascertain that every seed is planted. Same thing during fertilizer application and harvest. For every investment, there's an estimated returns and once you are sure your inputs are well optimised, it will be easy to project the possible returns. This is the reason the manager must be good both technically and with figures.

Except he is a trusted person, the only way to tackle theft is to be there (physically or by proxy). During harvest too, you should be there to check them out. Days will be set out for these activities so you can prepare ahead. Be there, and ask questions. The thing is once they know you are not ignorant of the happenings, it will be tasky for them to cheat you.

Another thing is, most farm workers tend to also use the land for some minor planting for themselves like vegetables, pepper and so on. You may want to compromise a little on that aspect.

I once worked on a poultry farm and my 6-month SIWES on school farm (cassava, melon and corn) exposes me to some of these things. I'm a prospective farmer, still a student studying Agricultural Economics.

Labourers from benue (agatus) take 100k yearly but will be feeding from the little they co-plant on the farm as well. And that's because they do all the work. The fact that you use tractor for some work may alter the payment.
Re: What's Your Greatest Problem In Agriculture/agroprenure by emmaodet: 10:38pm On Sep 09, 2022
Epositive:

That's where supervision comes in. You have records for everything bought. The best way you can handle theft is by close monitoring. On the day of planting, you can be present so as to ascertain that every seed is planted. Same thing during fertilizer application and harvest. For every investment, there's an estimated returns and once you are sure your inputs are well optimised, it will be easy to project the possible returns. This is the reason the manager must be good both technically and with figures.

Except he is a trusted person, the only way to tackle theft is to be there (physically or by proxy). During harvest too, you should be there to check them out. Days will be set out for these activities so you can prepare ahead. Be there, and ask questions. The thing is once they know you are not ignorant of the happenings, it will be tasky for them to cheat you.

Another thing is, most farm workers tend to also use the land for some minor planting for themselves like vegetables, pepper and so on. You may want to compromise a little on that aspect.

I once worked on a poultry farm and my 6-month SIWES on school farm (cassava, melon and corn) exposes me to some of these things. I'm a prospective farmer, still a student studying Agricultural Economics.

Labourers from benue (agatus) take 100k yearly but will be feeding from the little they co-plant on the farm as well. And that's because they do all the work. The fact that you use tractor for some work may alter the payment.

Are you really really serious @ the bolded?
because here in south-west, they are billing me 1 new bajaj bike per person per year 300/350k payment per year but most farm workers just demand brand new bikes now adays to avoid naira inflation.
If i can get @ 100k per year, i will hire 4 workers with 1 manager join sef.
Please, let's talk offline
Re: What's Your Greatest Problem In Agriculture/agroprenure by Epositive(m): 11:04pm On Sep 09, 2022
emmaodet:

because here in south-west, they are billing me 1 new bajaj bike per person per year 300/350k payment per year but most farm workers just demand brand new bikes now adays to avoid naira inflation.

That was like 2 years back but it should still be at that range. I am in Kogi State.

1 Like

Re: What's Your Greatest Problem In Agriculture/agroprenure by strenghtt: 10:35am On Sep 10, 2022
emmaodet:

The problem with afracan Farmers is that we still farm the old ways. We don't innovate using technologies to solve some of farming and farm management challenges.

For the challenge of labourer disappointing you and farm management I will say use technology. grin grin grin grin
Re: What's Your Greatest Problem In Agriculture/agroprenure by emmaodet: 10:42am On Sep 10, 2022
strenghtt:

The problem with afracan Farmers is that we still farm the old ways. We don't innovate using technologies to solve some of farming and farm management challenges.

For the challenge of labourer disappointing you and farm management I will say use technology. grin grin grin grin

Okay brother.

ca you educate me on systems/methods available to monitor ?
I will appreciate alot.
Re: What's Your Greatest Problem In Agriculture/agroprenure by ChngedChnges(m): 5:47pm On Sep 10, 2022
emmaodet:

Okay brother.

ca you educate me on systems/methods available to monitor ?
I will appreciate alot.

Do you know of KPIs? (Key Performance Index) they're used by big companies to monitor and assure the quality of services their employees give. If it were to be animal farming, i would have given you some KPIs and documentations to cut "inefficiency " not just theft by a very great percentage.

I'm still trying to develop for crop farming
Re: What's Your Greatest Problem In Agriculture/agroprenure by Epositive(m): 7:04pm On Sep 11, 2022
emmaodet:

Standard of living is higher in South West than in North Central here. 300k is huge though.

bravado304@gmail.com
08140three7nine871
Re: What's Your Greatest Problem In Agriculture/agroprenure by glade319(m): 6:23pm On Oct 07, 2022
emmaodet:

emmaodet, I feel the pain with you,for a worker to charge bajaj bike per year is ripping the farmer off,
I can get you Farmworkers at affordable and reasonable pay,Not 100k though. Check my signature.
Re: What's Your Greatest Problem In Agriculture/agroprenure by ozome15(m): 6:03pm On Oct 21, 2022
Getting the right information
Re: What's Your Greatest Problem In Agriculture/agroprenure by ozome15(m): 6:07pm On Oct 21, 2022
Please anybody that has the right information about sugarcane farming should help me
Re: What's Your Greatest Problem In Agriculture/agroprenure by FreshFarmAgro: 8:38pm On Nov 26, 2022
interesting

(1) (Reply)

Catfish Water Management: Cream $ Soap Manufactring / Prices of Fabricated Farm Machines Are Available Here / How To Select The Best Broiler Breed For Better Performance

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.