Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,464 members, 7,823,083 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 11:39 PM

Will Ending SARS Stop The Killings? - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Will Ending SARS Stop The Killings? (12295 Views)

Skull Mining: Nigerians Express Worries Over The Killings In Ogun / Don't Be Scared When SARS Stop You Or Police,do This. / Police Kill Lukman Issah Who Mastermind The Killings Of 19 Christians In Kogi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Will Ending SARS Stop The Killings? by PatrickOkunima(m): 10:55am On Apr 02, 2019
Obviously, No! If SARS is disbanded today, the members of the SARS team will continue with the killing in whatever role they find themselves in future.

Calling for an end to SARS is a good start, but that does not solve the problem. Nigerians should instead, call for a complete overhaul of all the security forces, including military and para-military.

This overhaul should include: re-orientating the men, retraining them, especially in respect to arms handling and meting out appropriate punishment for offenders.

A little explanation:

1. Reorientation - The security personnels should be made to understand what their primary responsibility is - to protect lives and properties. You'll be shocked to learn that most of them do not know. They should be taught that, no matter the circumstance, you do not draw your weapon, or point your rifle at someone you're supposed to protect.

One of the commandments given to us at the military training school, "Do not point your rifle at a friend (unarmed person)." We were told then that it was a dismissal offence to point our weapons at someone who is not armed and a threat to us, let alone pull the trigger.

I don't know the kind of message they pass to our security forces at the training school these days, but I think it should be looked into.

2. Training - Our men are not properly trained in handling rifles, especially the para-military (police, immigration, custom, NDLEA, Civil Defense, etc). Each of them you see wielding a rifle is a threat to your life. Hence, you have to be careful when dealing with them. I see lapses every day in respect of this. For instance, We're supposed to point our rifles at a certain angle and to ensure that there's no obstruction, before clearing it. A good number of these uniform guys don't know this. You see them discharge their weapons anyhow and for no reason. The government needs to do something about the training.

3. Punishment - I didn't witness this in the service, but was told that in those days, before a shooting exercise commences at the range, two graves are dug. One for the victim and one for the culprit, in the event that a soldier shoots another dead, deliberately or mistakenly. Same should be enforced. Any law enforcement agent who shoots and kills an innocent person, should face judgement, and if found guilty, executed by a firing squad, to serve as a deterrent to others.

4. Accountability - Those days in the military, you give account of your ammunition. If you're issued 20 rounds, you cannot return and handover 19 rounds to the armorer without explanation. In fact, you'll write a statement explaining how you used the ammo. A detailed investigation will be carried out to ascertain your claims.

It should be implemented fully, in all forces.

5. Mental Evaluation - Our security men should be mentally evaluated at the point of entry and periodically while in service. Anyone who fails the test should be discharged immediately. Most people will not agree with me on this, majority of these guys you see wearing uniforms are not normal. For some, their cognitive and reasoning abilities have been ruined by drugs. They're not different from armed lunatics.

Until these and other measures are implemented, the killings will not stop!

71 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Will Ending SARS Stop The Killings? by RemiTinubu(f): 11:10am On Apr 02, 2019
I concur
harsh punishment should be placed in security forces that kills

such punishment like capital punishment for the killer
non payments of entitlement and benefits to the family
with this even if he doesn't care about his life at least he should consider that of his family

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Will Ending SARS Stop The Killings? by PatrickOkunima(m): 11:40am On Apr 02, 2019
Thanks for your contribution, other points are equally important.
RemiTinubu:
I concur

with this even if he doesn't care about his life at least he should consider that of his family

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Will Ending SARS Stop The Killings? by Nobody: 12:11pm On Apr 02, 2019
We've had extra judicial killings perpetrated by the police on an even larger scale, so I wonder why they're calling for SARS to be scrapped when same SARS operatives will still be in the force to continue their sprees.

Let police be scrapped grin #JustKidding

The guys above me are right, strict regulation is the best way to go

1 Like

Re: Will Ending SARS Stop The Killings? by Nobody: 12:47pm On Apr 02, 2019
All police officers should be given cane and koboko instead of guns. This will ensure no one is killed

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Will Ending SARS Stop The Killings? by stubbornman(m): 12:48pm On Apr 02, 2019
In whatever way they choose to operate when they end SARS .... we will kill them right in their houses without any fear of govt intervention!!!!..... when dey end SARS they will know what it means to be humble when power is taken away from someone...especially when we trusted them with our security and they ended up reducing our numbers with bullets!!!

Let them fortify themselves with enough jazz .. cos we will penetrate them hard and all their lineage!!

for now... we are waiting patiently!!

3 Likes

Re: Will Ending SARS Stop The Killings? by hinograce: 12:49pm On Apr 02, 2019
It will reduce it however alot of police officers need to be jailed while the rest retrained on mordern policing practices and strategy

1 Like

Re: Will Ending SARS Stop The Killings? by otokx(m): 12:49pm On Apr 02, 2019
RemiTinubu:
I concur

harsh punishment should be placed on security force that fire indiscriminately either in happiness or just to clear traffic jam, etc.

1 Like

Re: Will Ending SARS Stop The Killings? by Topemillo(m): 12:50pm On Apr 02, 2019
Make them just end it first shocked

1 Like

Re: Will Ending SARS Stop The Killings? by ictjobber: 12:50pm On Apr 02, 2019
No it won't end the killing l.... But it will reduce it...

do not think your business is doing well without a website.. you are losing out on potential clients searching the web.. Get a website today...
I build websites and I am based in Abuja, see my signature
Re: Will Ending SARS Stop The Killings? by mamatayour(f): 12:50pm On Apr 02, 2019
End SARS and reform police would be alright

1 Like

Re: Will Ending SARS Stop The Killings? by DEHVEHLOP(m): 12:51pm On Apr 02, 2019
Yes of course!

Moreso, PMB should provide more jobs, especially for goslow gala traders from the East
Re: Will Ending SARS Stop The Killings? by Fuckyoumod: 12:51pm On Apr 02, 2019
If you END SARS criminals go run us down for Nigeria.

Until we start making SARS officials who kill innocent Nigerians pay and face justice for their crimes.

Then the killings would stop!

But we are not ready yet.

I STAND WITH BURNABOY#

RIP to all the innocent victims of SARS Brutality.

Your killers will never know peace and would never grow old to there 3 generation.
Re: Will Ending SARS Stop The Killings? by sanmtiago(m): 12:51pm On Apr 02, 2019
Just endsars then afterwards we’ll know if the killings will end. At least we’ll know we’ve tackled one of our numerous problems

1 Like

Re: Will Ending SARS Stop The Killings? by Offpoint1: 12:51pm On Apr 02, 2019
I was going through some series of "police chase" live on sky5 on YouTube, mostly from LA... then it dawned on me referring Nigeria to a zoo is an insult to all animals living in zoos.

Op, You've written well. What they really need is number 3, death penalty. The rest are useless to these guys, they're irredeemable.
Re: Will Ending SARS Stop The Killings? by datola: 12:52pm On Apr 02, 2019
SARS initial purpose was/is to hit dare devil arm robbers. they are not supposed to be known ( that's why they were not wearing uniforms), stop and search or investigate.

In addition to good points raised by the Op, SARS should be made to carry out their main and only purpose to hit dare devil arm robbers/kidnappers/criminals, etc.

Call for its end is the same as calling for scrapping of the whole security apparatus in Nigeria, knowing fully when that the difference between/among them (military, police, customs, civil defence, etc) is the difference between 6 and 7 or difference between APC and PDP.
Re: Will Ending SARS Stop The Killings? by Darkseid(m): 12:52pm On Apr 02, 2019
This my man just dey type big big grammar #EndSarsJor

Re: Will Ending SARS Stop The Killings? by AleAirHub(m): 12:52pm On Apr 02, 2019
it will end until we all join force and protest about their jungle killing not via Online called #Endsars

2 Likes

Re: Will Ending SARS Stop The Killings? by Satan66(m): 12:52pm On Apr 02, 2019
I see nothing wrong with Sars
Haters should go and kill theirselves
Re: Will Ending SARS Stop The Killings? by Lanretoye(m): 12:52pm On Apr 02, 2019
they should just let every state be responsible for her own policing.

1 Like

Re: Will Ending SARS Stop The Killings? by 2016v2017: 12:53pm On Apr 02, 2019
they've done more harm than good.
The masses say STOP THEM.
stop them before they will eliminate the masses
Re: Will Ending SARS Stop The Killings? by Foodforthought: 12:53pm On Apr 02, 2019
This is the first reasonable piece I've read of this SARS issue. Nigerians don't want to address roots, just branches. Why are they not calling for Army to end, with all the killings ?

1 Like

Re: Will Ending SARS Stop The Killings? by Lordsinger(m): 12:54pm On Apr 02, 2019
This country don tire me...hoha
Re: Will Ending SARS Stop The Killings? by sanmtiago(m): 12:54pm On Apr 02, 2019
Emmanuel092:
[sup][/sup]
bros take your time oh

Re: Will Ending SARS Stop The Killings? by West2019(m): 12:54pm On Apr 02, 2019
Oga #EndSARS Nigeria's want nothing more

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Judge Orders Accelerated Trial Of Evans / Zamfara Bandits To Face Death Sentence As Matawalle Signs Anti-banditry Bill / "We Give Foreigners 14 Days To Leave Our Country Or We Execute"Xenophobia Leader

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.