Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,015 members, 7,817,988 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:06 AM

Experience From The Upwork Freelancer Huddle Held In Lagos - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Experience From The Upwork Freelancer Huddle Held In Lagos (1300 Views)

The Upwork Mentorship Programme For Freelancers / How I Made Over 400k As An Upwork Freelancer Within 3 Months With Just My Phone! / How Much Will You Pay To Get The Upwork Account Approval Script (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Experience From The Upwork Freelancer Huddle Held In Lagos by brandmaster: 11:41am On Apr 02, 2019
Upwork Huddle is a gathering of Upwork Freelancers in Nigeria. Guess what? I was lucky to organise it.
I am a top rated freelancer in Nigeria, I currently have 97% ratings on upwork. I have been on Upwork for over 7 years since the days of Odesk and Elance.
I have the opportunity to mentor and train hundreds of people on how to effectively use Upwork and looking back I thank God I already have students that have made over $20,000 $5,000, $1,000 and below from Upwork. This is one of my greatest testimonies. Some of my mentees have quitted their full-time jobs to face freelancing.
However, I was contacted by Upwork to host a Upwork huddle in Nigeria and it was a nice time meeting with other fellow Upwork freelancers in Nigeria. We had the time to discuss how to take Upwork freelancing to the next level in Nigeria and One of the take-home points was collaboration and joint wealth creation.
we had over 20 people in attendance and It was a lovely experience

2 Likes

Re: Experience From The Upwork Freelancer Huddle Held In Lagos by lgboks(m): 12:43pm On Apr 02, 2019
Nice move
Re: Experience From The Upwork Freelancer Huddle Held In Lagos by Interesting15: 3:56pm On Apr 02, 2019
Pictures??
Re: Experience From The Upwork Freelancer Huddle Held In Lagos by stagger: 4:18pm On Apr 02, 2019
Did anyone from Upwork company attend? If not, then too bad.

Upwork makes a lot of money from freelancers. In the 10 years I have been on that platform, I cannot count how much they have made from me, starting from the 8.75% fee up to now that they charge 20%. But yet, they still treat Nigerians like second class freelancers. Why is it that Nigerians are not allowed to register freely on their platforms? Are freelancers from Eastern Europe and Asia better than us? I think not.

It would have been good to ask them some salient questions, but that is if anyone from the company attended.

5 Likes

Re: Experience From The Upwork Freelancer Huddle Held In Lagos by kinzation(m): 4:57pm On Apr 02, 2019
stagger:

Upwork makes a lot of money from freelancers. In the 10 years I have been on that platform, I cannot count how much they have made from me, starting from the 8.75% fee up to now that they charge 20%. But yet, they still treat Nigerians like second class freelancers. Why is it that Nigerians are not allowed to register freely on their platforms? Are freelancers from Eastern Europe and Asia better than us? I think not.

It would have been good to ask them some salient questions, but that is if anyone from the company attended.
you've really made a valid point there bro. though, i have someone who complains that upwork isnt that easy to create as a nigerian. anyways sir, i will really love you to teach me step by step on how to create an upwork account. 08128859356 whatsapp ..thanks in anticipation of your honest reply and swift response

1 Like

Re: Experience From The Upwork Freelancer Huddle Held In Lagos by Grupo(m): 5:29pm On Apr 02, 2019
kinzation:
you've really made a valid point there bro. though, i have someone who complains that upwork isnt that easy to create as a nigerian. anyways sir, i will really love you to teach me step by step on how to create an upwork account. 08128859356 whatsapp ..thanks in anticipation of your honest reply and swift response

You are not serious. You need him to teach you something and you are asking him to contact you. You must be a joker.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Experience From The Upwork Freelancer Huddle Held In Lagos by Grupo(m): 5:30pm On Apr 02, 2019
@OP, if you cannot upload pictures, then kindly delete this thread.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Experience From The Upwork Freelancer Huddle Held In Lagos by kinzation(m): 5:40pm On Apr 02, 2019
Grupo:

You are not serious. You need him to teach you something and you are asking him to contact you. You must be a joker.
Oga calm down now
why are you sounding harsh
Am here to learn too
I mean if hes not going to be able to e
teach me here
then whatsapp is an alternative
Re: Experience From The Upwork Freelancer Huddle Held In Lagos by sonature1: 6:12pm On Apr 02, 2019
Upwork charges up to 20% of my hard-earned money...useless, discriminatory people.

It's funny how they always ban freelancers when they cannot land a job.

I think Fiverr is much better than Upwork
Re: Experience From The Upwork Freelancer Huddle Held In Lagos by Nobody: 6:26pm On Apr 02, 2019
sonature1:

Upwork charges up to 20% of my hard-earned money...useless, discriminatory people.

It's funny how they always ban freelancers when they cannot land a job.

I think Fiverr is much better than Upwork
fiverr doesn't even come close to upwork

1 Like

Re: Experience From The Upwork Freelancer Huddle Held In Lagos by brandmaster: 8:51pm On Apr 02, 2019
stagger:

one thing I have learnt over the years is never to bite the hand that fed me, You said Upwork has made a lot of money from you, forgetting that they actually provide you an avenue to make more money that you could never have made in Nigeria. Yes I know its harder to get in the platform these days, some Nigerians have spoilt the platform for us, This same issue is been experienced by other users all over th world. Plus trust me its in your interest that they dont let every one register. Imagine 2000 people bidding for one job?
I quite agreee that the charges is high at 20% but trust me in some months I earn more than some bank managers after deducting their charges.

1 Like

Re: Experience From The Upwork Freelancer Huddle Held In Lagos by stagger: 9:18pm On Apr 02, 2019
brandmaster:

one thing I have learnt over the years is never to bite the hand that fed me, You said Upwork has made a lot of money from you, forgetting that they actually provide you an avenue to make more money that you could never have made in Nigeria. Yes I know its harder to get in the platform these days, some Nigerians have spoilt the platform for us, This same issue is been experienced by other users all over th world. Plus trust me its in your interest that they dont let every one register. Imagine 2000 people bidding for one job?
I quite agreee that the charges is high at 20% but trust me in some months I earn more than some bank managers after deducting their charges.

Hope you know that from May, connects will now be charged at15 cents per connect. Hope you got the email today.
Re: Experience From The Upwork Freelancer Huddle Held In Lagos by AtoningBlood(m): 11:10pm On Apr 02, 2019
brandmaster:
Upwork Huddle is a gathering of Upwork Freelancers in Nigeria. Guess what? I was lucky to organise it.
I am a top rated freelancer in Nigeria, I currently have 97% ratings on upwork. I have been on Upwork for over 7 years since the days of Odesk and Elance.
I have the opportunity to mentor and train hundreds of people on how to effectively use Upwork and looking back I thank God I already have students that have made over $20,000 $5,000, $1,000 and below from Upwork. This is one of my greatest testimonies. Some of my mentees have quitted their full-time jobs to face freelancing.
However, I was contacted by Upwork to host a Upwork huddle in Nigeria and it was a nice time meeting with other fellow Upwork freelancers in Nigeria. We had the time to discuss how to take Upwork freelancing to the next level in Nigeria and One of the take-home points was collaboration and joint wealth creation.
we had over 20 people in attendance and It was a lovely experience

Nice! I have declined twice the bid to hold thus huddle cos I have so much on me. From work to attending to kids, so if I have my saturdays free, I had better sleep or prepare clients reports.

Oya, post pictures.

1 Like

Re: Experience From The Upwork Freelancer Huddle Held In Lagos by AtoningBlood(m): 11:23pm On Apr 02, 2019
stagger:

Even in the mail upwork said it is not an upwork official meeting, so they don't need to send their representative. It's okay if they create such meetings for upwork freelancers to meet. It is not held in Nigeria one, freelancers meet in their countries/States all over the world and send upwork pictures/report.

Why do you think they treat Nigerians like second class citizons? I don't believe this, even guys from these countries you mentioned have their own issues with upwork, even on getting their profile approved.

I have no issues with their 20% service fees, even after the deductions I still earn more than times 3 of what I used to earn while in a telecom company.

They have their bills to pay too, so charging for connects is no big deal, if i spend $10 on connects monthly and I get even if it's one contract, it is better than traveling from East to Lagos for interview without winning the job.

I share one of my jobs with my sister earning 30k a month, she is getting almost ×2 of the 30k from me monthly. Her joy when I asked her to join me eeeeh, or whenever she receives alert, the prayer she will start praying eeeeh, hmmmm. I can't speak bad of upwork, never. I registered her but she isn't getting any offer, I get offers easiy and have all it takes by God's grace, so I just decided to assist her by training her to do a little of what I do.

There is no very good system on earth.

1 Like

Re: Experience From The Upwork Freelancer Huddle Held In Lagos by bemagnify: 1:30am On Apr 03, 2019
please tell us how to send an enticing upwork proposal... meanwhile I am selling my approved Canada upwork acct just 3k
Re: Experience From The Upwork Freelancer Huddle Held In Lagos by brandmaster: 8:41am On Apr 03, 2019
AtoningBlood:

Even in the mail upwork said it is not an upwork official meeting, so they don't need to send their representative. It's okay if they create such meetings for upwork freelancers to meet. It is not held in Nigeria one, freelancers meet in their countries/States all over the world and send upwork pictures/report.

Why do you think they treat Nigerians like second class citizons? I don't believe this, even guys from these countries you mentioned have their own issues with upwork, even on getting their profile approved.

I have no issues with their 20% service fees, even after the deductions I still earn more than times 3 of what I used to earn while in a telecom company.

They have their bills to pay too, so charging for connects is no big deal, if i spend $10 on connects monthly and I get even if it's one contract, it is better than traveling from East to Lagos for interview without winning the job.

I share one of my jobs with my sister earning 30k a month, she is getting almost ×2 of the 30k from me monthly. Her joy when I asked her to join me eeeeh, or whenever she receives alert, the prayer she will start praying eeeeh, hmmmm. I can't speak bad of upwork, never. I registered her but she isn't getting any offer, I get offers easiy and have all it takes by God's grace, so I just decided to assist her by training her to do a little of what I do.

There is no very good system on earth.

I think one thing everyone should learn is the act of gratitude. One of my student that was earning 60,000 per month, until I introduced her to upwork now earns a minimum of $1200 per month sometimes she earns $1500 per month, she had to tell her sister to quit her job of 40,000 to work for her on a salary of 80,000 .
I understand it's easy to feel used but the one thing I usually tell people is nobody will use you until you give them the permission.

1 Like

Re: Experience From The Upwork Freelancer Huddle Held In Lagos by brandmaster: 8:54am On Apr 03, 2019
Grupo:
@OP, if you cannot upload pictures, then kindly delete this thread.

One thing I have learnt over the years, you don't just post people's pictures online without their permission. Plus there are better ways to ask for that,

Interesting15:
pictures.

Will seek permission before posting

AtoningBlood15:
Nice! I have declined twice the bid to hold thus huddle cos I have so much on me. From work to attending to kids, so if I have my saturdays free, I had better sleep or prepare clients reports.

Oh nice would be nice to see you at the next one

AtoningBlood15:

Hope you know that from May, connects will now be charged at15 cents per connect. Hope you got the email today.

Yes I am.aware though it will make the site harder for new freelancers but every top freelancer understand that it's a welcome development as you get a better chance to getting a job and everyone will bid will sense now. Since I have joined upwork I have never exhausted my connect the max I use is 30
Re: Experience From The Upwork Freelancer Huddle Held In Lagos by breadtom: 11:32am On Apr 03, 2019
How do i get upwork to approve my account am tired.
Re: Experience From The Upwork Freelancer Huddle Held In Lagos by Ghanaian(m): 7:59am On Apr 06, 2019
breadtom:
How do i get upwork to approve my account am tired.

Whatsapp me
070 six 8 six 12612
Re: Experience From The Upwork Freelancer Huddle Held In Lagos by Ghanaian(m): 8:27am On Apr 06, 2019
I will help you in any of these
Upwork Account Approvals (10mins)
Creating/Approval of New upwork Accounts (30mins) Foreign upwork Account setup/approval (30mins)
Free 10 samples of jobs winning proposals

1 and 2years unlimited Nord VPN
If you need any of these, am available on
Whatsapp or call
0706 86 12611
Re: Experience From The Upwork Freelancer Huddle Held In Lagos by nigho4real: 4:25pm On Apr 09, 2019
Hi,

I very been trying to get approval for upwork without success. Do you offer assistance of this kind of problem and do you train people on free lancing. I couldn't find any contact details to get to you. My email is nigho2000@yahoo.com.

Regards.

(1) (Reply)

Bedsheets And Ankara For Sale / Anything PayPal, check in 100% working / I Learnt That Forex And Bet9ja Are Twins Brothers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.