Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,687 members, 7,809,598 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:49 AM

Female Presidents In Africa - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Female Presidents In Africa (5820 Views)

When Two Nigerian Presidents Arrived New York... / Goodluck Jonathan Is One Of The Best Presidents In The World – Jerry Gana / See the 9 Richest Presidents In Africa 2014 [photo] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Female Presidents In Africa by obong(m): 8:45pm On Feb 02, 2006
It's your opinion that its a recent phenomenom, not a necessarily fact. besides recent or not, for africa to lead the world in these areas means something must exist on the ground to create a fertile environment for such to exist. The fact is african women have been in charge of more aspects of their lives than european women for centuries. one of the major conflicts in eastern nigeria during colonialism came from market women's being marginalised. Meaning africa women had jobs long before women in europe and america starting working in the 19th century. the idea that africa women are particulrly disempowered is false. Though no society has given women total contral, africa has led the way in many respects. In some nigeria societies when a woman in married she is given money to start a trade. in many of these households she actually holds the wallet, despite what it may look like on the outside. read on the women of the past and their strength, even before democracy, such as amina of zaria, shaka's mother, the queen mothers in ghana and a host of other women in africa that were emplowered and led their societies.

regarding the status of younger women. 1. it goes against your point that the advances of women in africa is recent since the women doing well are older. are you implying the older african educated their daughers, but today's africans don't? Before you answer if you get a chance, go look at the lagos state judiciary. 75% of all the judges are women! what other region fo the world can compare to that?

http://www.lagosjudiciary.gov.ng/d003/main.aspx?dbID=DB_ServingHon_Judges185

2. regarding the laws of africa. unles you have actually studied our laws, you can say definitively that our laws are all and all harmful to women. But as i pointed out, no society has men and women equal, so i'm certain bias dos exist in our laws. But my point was relative to other societies, even industrial ones, we are not the barbarians the world holds us to be. the idea that africa's developmental index being corrolated to its treatment of wmen isnt the case. One has nothing to do wit the other. the figures you posted about the education rate hardly tells the whole story. look at the figures of the live expectancy. women are outliving men in nigeria. does that now mean the lives of men are harsher than women? These facts are only relevant in relation to a variety of other facts.

sorry for my tone by the way. i havent yet figured out the art of speaking 'softly' on message boards. i modified my posts to lighten it. hope it worked. i realized my point seemed to be directed at your in particular, not the ideas i was going against
Re: Female Presidents In Africa by nferyn(m): 9:29pm On Feb 02, 2006
@ obong

Thanks for your insightful reply. I'll answer you some time tomorrow
Re: Female Presidents In Africa by ALHAMBRA(m): 3:52pm On Sep 08, 2007
Come January 6, 2008, it would be a good two years since I made this post. And I am proud to announce that Mrs Ellen Johnson Sirleaf, the President of the Republic of Liberia is still the current President of Liberia and she is doing fine. Visitors to and from Liberia, today, say the country is fast advancing in its rebuilding efforts and the populace is simply fine.

Go Ellen, we have your back. The next female President of Nigeria, should start getting ready, please.

With kind regards,

ALHAMBRA
Re: Female Presidents In Africa by Buruntashi: 5:16pm On Sep 08, 2007
Stay in the kitchen and look after the kids, can't go against nature.
Re: Female Presidents In Africa by Emad(f): 9:08am On Jan 10, 2008
ALHAMBRA:

Come January 6, 2008, it would be a good two years since I made this post. And I am proud to announce that Mrs Ellen Johnson Sirleaf, the President of the Republic of Liberia is still the current President of Liberia and she is doing fine. Visitors to and from Liberia, today, say the country is fast advancing in its rebuilding efforts and the populace is simply fine.

Go Ellen, we have your back. The next female President of Nigeria, should start getting ready, please.

With kind regards,

ALHAMBRA

Thanks for the update
Women should show men the difference,
and unite instead of biting each other in the back
Re: Female Presidents In Africa by noetic(m): 12:32pm On Jan 10, 2008
her "success" is subject to debate.
Re: Female Presidents In Africa by bawomol(m): 11:15pm On Jan 11, 2008
women are just as brute as men. i don't see any change if african women have political power. they do have a right to equal representation though
Re: Female Presidents In Africa by henry101(m): 7:33pm On Dec 27, 2010
TURAI UMARU YAR'DUA------ NIGERIA 1ST IRON LADY.
HEAD OF THE POPULAR ASO ROCK CABAL.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Re-integration Of 2 Million Idps, My Current Challenge -buhari / Lawan: Nigeria Needs To Pray More To Overcome Challenges / Bandits Kidnap Traditional Ruler, Wife Others In Katsina

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.