Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,925 members, 7,824,880 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 08:04 PM

Men Of God And Their Acquisition Of Wealth - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Men Of God And Their Acquisition Of Wealth (3829 Views)

Fayose Leads Special Prayers With Various Men Of God - Photos / Senator Dino Melaye Stupendous Display Of Wealth Is Irritating (Photos) / Niger-Delta Group Condemns Tompolo's Acquisition Of War Ships. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Men Of God And Their Acquisition Of Wealth by Nobody: 10:43pm On Sep 09, 2010
I want to write something that will probably anger a lot of people out there and I will probably be crucified for this but after seeing what I saw yesterday, I want to speak my mind.

I try as much as possible to stay away from religious issues on this blog because it's a very sensitive subject and so many people take it very personal. But like I said, I saw something yesterday that got to me, and since I've been given a voice (my blog), I want to be heard.

Let me start by saying that I am utterly disgusted by the way some Men of God in this our generation carry on. Private Jets, Yachts, media empires etc, and you wonder; is this what Christianity is all about now? Acquisition of wealth? Are some of these Men of God supposed to be keepers of faith or men who milk from their congregation to fund and maintain their lavish lifestyles?

I've said this before and I will say it again, I will NEVER pay tithe to the Church. Not if my money is going to be used to pay for a private jet. I know it's not a good thing to say publicly but that's my position on the matter and if these Men of God aren't uncomfortable or embarrassed to be seen 'living the life', then why should I be embarrassed to say I'm not going to fund it?

I am more than convinced that God will be disappointed in me if I gave 10% of the little money I make to men who already have so much when I can give it to that young child who hasn't eaten for days, or maybe even contribute to money needed to keep a sick person alive.

I sincerely feel that if Jesus came back today, he would weep at what some people have turned his church into. He would be disgusted as I am because He definitely didn't establish religion as an instrument for acquiring material wealth.

My bible tells me that when Jesus dwelt among us, he didn't hobnob with the rich, he didn't acquire material wealth, he didn't ride in the finest horses, he didn't drink the finest wines, instead he embraced modesty, lived amongst the ordinary and poor and was satisfied with that life. So why are these Men of God not following in his footsteps? Why are they acquiring wealth like it's about to go out of fashion?

Acquiring excessive wealth is morally reprehensible in a society like ours where there's a big gap between the rich and the poor. Nigerians are dying of hunger, literarily. I passed Oyingbo early yesterday morning and I've not been able get over what I witnessed there. Please somebody drive down to Oyingbo, at the refuse dump there and see what is going on in our country. I saw two boys picking something from the dump and putting in their mouth. And our Men of God are buying private jets? My God! Do you know how much it costs to acquire and maintain one? Do you know how many poor, homeless, hungry and sick people that kind of money can help? Are you calculating?

What does anyone want with so much money? How can you serve God and Money at the same time? There's a place in the bible where a certain rich young man turned down Jesus’ invitation to follow him because he was unwilling to leave his money behind. Jesus commented, “How hard it is for the rich to enter the kingdom of God”. (Luke 18:24) What was Jesus trying to say here?

Oh and there's more - "Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where treasure is, there your heart will be also." (Matthew 6:19-21)

More - "Do not wear yourself out to get rich: have the wisdom to show restraint. Cast but a glance at riches, and they are gone, for they will surely sprout wings and fly off to the sky like an eagle" (Proverbs 23:4-5)

I can quote more from the bible but let's move on. See, I'm not against the church, I go to Church as much as the next guy. I'm not against being rich either, I am only against excessive wealth. Excessive being the imperative word. I'm not against Men of God, I just do not approve of some of their methods.

Men of God engaging in pre-marital sex, Men of God engaging in homosexual acts, Men of God molesting young boys in the church, Men of God building business empires and acquiring material wealth like they are competing with greedy politicians.

And let's not even talk about the trade going on in the Church today. The selling of CD's, books, tapes and et al. We all know how angry Jesus was when he witnessed the trade going in the temple in the ancient times and what he did about it

I could go on and on but let me stop here. I'm not judging, I'm just saddened by the things these Men of God are doing and the things they've failed to do.

I've said my piece and I apologize to anyone who finds it offensive, but until you know what it feels like to see two young children eating from a refuse dump, don't talk shit to me!

source

Re: Men Of God And Their Acquisition Of Wealth by jidobaba(m): 11:05pm On Sep 09, 2010
@poster, but you are wrong you see,

you still support these Men of Dog in pillaging the poor folk,
you attend their godforsaken services, seething in your pious booth, afraid of what people would say if,
YOU ROSE like a Daniel come to Judgement! Tell that fool up there, right in thick of the Sunday Congregation, the Gospel truth, he is nothing but a thieving piece of shcit!Stealing from the Poor, what a basterd!
there is no God, there cannot be one
Re: Men Of God And Their Acquisition Of Wealth by komando1: 5:50am On Sep 10, 2010
@ jidobaba

You advice him to condemn pator in his pulpit?

Well he should be csreful the kind of church he does that. Remember Rvevrend King?
Re: Men Of God And Their Acquisition Of Wealth by Jakumo(m): 6:55am On Sep 10, 2010
That pastor has very good reason to laugh aboard his private jet, since that luxury transportation was purchased by a grand fleecing of the flock, who would happily starve to death just so their Big Daddy can live it up like a king of the universe.
Re: Men Of God And Their Acquisition Of Wealth by jamace(m): 7:45am On Sep 10, 2010
Hmmnnn. Pastors enjoy heaven on earth these days.

Like the poster said, these pastors collect the little their poor flocks have to enjoy life. In addition, loots from our criminal leaders end up in these churches/mosques, in one way or the other.
Re: Men Of God And Their Acquisition Of Wealth by Horus(m): 8:48am On Sep 10, 2010
Church leaders accept tithes in the name of God. They'll say “God needs your help building the church, ” What does god need with a multi-million dollar church? Nothing. These are the same so-called church leaders that you'll find riding in fancy cars, eating the best foods, living in expensive homes and living the life of wealthy people while their followers scrape and struggle to do “God's will” by tithing. These so-called leaders will lead congregations in the worse of the worse neighborhoods and on their way to church to preach on Sundays or Saturdays or whatever day they declare to be the Sabbath, they will step over the homeless or the less fortunate.
Re: Men Of God And Their Acquisition Of Wealth by philip0906(m): 9:08am On Sep 10, 2010
A survey has 2 be conducted 2 assertain d exact number of atheists on nairaland,cos they seem 2 be every where undecided
@op
So b'cos Oyedepo bought jet,u now act like its every man of God?well,for every 1 "Man of God" dat lives in "stupendous wealth",I'll show u 10 Men of God dat live in modesty
Re: Men Of God And Their Acquisition Of Wealth by RichyBlacK(m): 9:30am On Sep 10, 2010
90% of the so-called men of God belong to a sophisticated organized crime syndicate.

Mother Teresa (may her gentle soul continue to rest in perfect peace) is one of the few 'women' of God I respect.

All these hardcore criminals pretending to be pastors and flying in private jets are as corrupt as our politicians.
Re: Men Of God And Their Acquisition Of Wealth by Nobody: 9:32am On Sep 10, 2010
philip0906:

A survey has 2 be conducted 2 assertain d exact number of atheists on nairaland,cos they seem 2 be every where undecided
@op
So b'cos Oyedepo bought jet,u now act like its every man of God?well,for every 1 "Man of God" dat lives in "stupendous wealth",I'll show u 10 Men of God dat live in modesty

G.O lives in stupendous wealth.name the ten who do not(and they have to be Pastors whose names we can recognise),
Re: Men Of God And Their Acquisition Of Wealth by EdDave(m): 10:15am On Sep 10, 2010
I can mention more but how can u recognize their names when they r not afta fame or money. @Poster
These kind of Men of God have been around and wil always be. Jesus warned us dat they would b very convincing. It dont mean they r no truely rich pastors. The most important thing is how is YOUR own life touching others?
Re: Men Of God And Their Acquisition Of Wealth by philip0906(m): 10:25am On Sep 10, 2010
Pastor Kumuyi(Deeper Life Bible church),Pastor Lazarus Moaka(Lord's chosen),Pastor Uma Ukpai,Pastor E.A Adeboye(Redeemed Church),Pastor D.K Olukoya(Mountain of fire ministeries),Pastor Cosmas Ilechukwu(Charismatic Renewal ministeries) e.t.c
Of course there are loads of 'em but u want d ones dat r "popular". . .
Re: Men Of God And Their Acquisition Of Wealth by texazzpete(m): 10:54am On Sep 10, 2010
philip0906:

Pastor Kumuyi(Deeper Life Bible church),Pastor Lazarus Moaka(Lord's chosen),Pastor Uma Ukpai,Pastor E.A Adeboye(Redeemed Church),Pastor D.K Olukoya(Mountain of fire ministeries),Pastor Cosmas Ilechukwu(Charismatic Renewal ministeries) e.t.c
Of course there are loads of 'em but u want d ones dat r "popular". . .

Can you clarify what list this is, because i can see some there that happily consume Church money grin
Re: Men Of God And Their Acquisition Of Wealth by texazzpete(m): 10:57am On Sep 10, 2010
Re: Men Of God And Their Acquisition Of Wealth by philip0906(m): 11:25am On Sep 10, 2010
@texazzepet
The fact that u r catholic does not and should not lock ur sense of reasoning. . .I put up d names of Men who have lived a life of modesty and u r putting up a lame "counter".No one can come here and point accusing fingers on these men,except dat person had a "personal brush" which only he/she knows about. . .U know catholics have issues?But I have never attacked a catholic person in my life wink
Re: Men Of God And Their Acquisition Of Wealth by chiketee(m): 11:27am On Sep 10, 2010
i don't know what the big deal is . these pastors need these jets so they can be closer to God. How else can u get to heaven from earth if not with a private jet.  You people are just jealous. I know what you are thinking, why cant they get a first class flight ticket to where ever they are going?, well  let me ask you, what would God think when he sees them associating with lesser human beings on that flight. God will be so appalled , he might punish them because he has made them demi gods therefore they have no business mingling with lesser mortals
Re: Men Of God And Their Acquisition Of Wealth by philip0906(m): 11:31am On Sep 10, 2010
texazzpete:

Read about your Lazarus Mouka here

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-105831.0.html

Mind u this is a public forum,where any one can put up and say whatever they like. . .Take a look at d "story",no link,unconfirmed,nothing undecided
Re: Men Of God And Their Acquisition Of Wealth by oluwabamis(m): 11:41am On Sep 10, 2010
Mr. President was absolutely right. I find it rather disturbing when I see men of God deliberating ignoring the cries of the poor and going about in their quest for money. I have a practical experience of the excesses of this men of God. I was literally duped by my Pastor, I respected the anointing upon his life so I had leave the church quietly without raising any scandal in the church. I always say it that these pastors need more prayers that the church members. God help us
Re: Men Of God And Their Acquisition Of Wealth by texazzpete(m): 11:49am On Sep 10, 2010
philip0906:

Mind u this is a public forum,where any one can put up and say whatever they like. . .Take a look at d "story",no link,unconfirmed,nothing undecided

I read this story when it was published in Guardian some years back. So it isn't just 'anything'. Don't get all bent because i don't trust your 'Men of God'.

PS: I don't know where you feel my being a Catholic fits into all these. I have harsh words of criticism too for some Priests that don't live up to their calling. but the topic under discussion is Men of God living humble lives, and this informs my views that i've poured out.
Re: Men Of God And Their Acquisition Of Wealth by philip0906(m): 11:52am On Sep 10, 2010
texazzpete:

I read this story when it was published in Guardian some years back. So it isn't just 'anything'. Don't get all bent because i don't trust your 'Men of God'.

PS: I don't know where you feel my being a Catholic fits into all these. I have harsh words of criticism too for some Priests that don't live up to their calling. but the topic under discussion is Men of God living humble lives, and this informs my views that i've poured out.
Ok I hear u. . .Its not only his name I put up there shebi? undecided
Re: Men Of God And Their Acquisition Of Wealth by Firefire(m): 11:54am On Sep 10, 2010
God will help us (human beings) and give us the grace to make heaven.
Pls let us not judge!
Re: Men Of God And Their Acquisition Of Wealth by philip0906(m): 11:55am On Sep 10, 2010
Besides,Moaka is still a modest man,despite d massive success his church has achieved in recent years,which is exactly y I put his name there
Re: Men Of God And Their Acquisition Of Wealth by Becomrich0: 12:28pm On Sep 10, 2010
There is not wrong if a man of God own a business and he can become a billionaire , why not. as long as he does not steal.   The canadian govt want me to be employer of labour than an employee. This is how they make thier economy better.
Re: Men Of God And Their Acquisition Of Wealth by philip0906(m): 12:34pm On Sep 10, 2010
Becomrich0:

There is not wrong if a man of God own a business and he can become a billionaire , why not. as long as he does not steal.   The canadian govt want me to be employer of labour than an employee. This is how they make thier economy better.
Goodness. . .what has dat got 2 do with d thread?u r indeed an egun man grin grin grin
Re: Men Of God And Their Acquisition Of Wealth by redsun(m): 1:48pm On Sep 10, 2010
Abstinence from organize and indoctrinated religion is the begiining wisdom.The moment U begin to ask questions about your mental enslavement in the name of religious doctrines and beliefs,that moment is the moment of your salvation.
Re: Men Of God And Their Acquisition Of Wealth by Pukkah: 2:12pm On Sep 10, 2010
redsun:

Abstinence from organize and indoctrinated religion is the begiining wisdom.The moment U begin to ask questions about your mental enslavement in the name of religious doctrines and beliefs,that moment is the moment of your salvation.

From time immemorial, all human beings have believed in something or nothing but the degree of the belief or indoctrination in that something or nothing is what differs.

While some members of those churches may remain adamant and defensive (regardless of what you say or prove), a few might actually begin to ask themselves if indeed this is what Jesus would have done.

For me, as long as they are not coerced or extorted to pay the tithe or other contributions, I leave them (the followers) to do what makes them 'happy'. It actually gives some people excitement to see that their spiritual leaders are or become richer than themselves. So what is my own grouse with that? If you push it too much, they say you are an atheist or child of the devil forgetting that this brand of Christianity is gradually becoming peculiar to Nigeria and in fact may be an indication of how the economic downturn has affected the country.
Re: Men Of God And Their Acquisition Of Wealth by CareTaker1(m): 2:46pm On Sep 10, 2010
MrPrsdent:

I want to write something that will probably anger a lot of people out there and I will probably be crucified for this but after seeing what I saw yesterday, I want to speak my mind.

I try as much as possible to stay away from religious issues on this blog because it's a very sensitive subject and so many people take it very personal. But like I said, I saw something yesterday that got to me, and since I've been given a voice (my blog), I want to be heard.

Let me start by saying that I am utterly disgusted by the way some Men of God in this our generation carry on. Private Jets, Yachts, media empires etc, and you wonder; is this what Christianity is all about now? Acquisition of wealth? Are some of these Men of God supposed to be keepers of faith or men who milk from their congregation to fund and maintain their lavish lifestyles?

I've said this before and I will say it again, I will NEVER pay tithe to the Church. Not if my money is going to be used to pay for a private jet. I know it's not a good thing to say publicly but that's my position on the matter and if these Men of God aren't uncomfortable or embarrassed to be seen 'living the life', then why should I be embarrassed to say I'm not going to fund it?

I am more than convinced that God will be disappointed in me if I gave 10% of the little money I make to men who already have so much when I can give it to that young child who hasn't eaten for days, or maybe even contribute to money needed to keep a sick person alive.

I sincerely feel that if Jesus came back today, he would weep at what some people have turned his church into. He would be disgusted as I am because He definitely didn't establish religion as an instrument for acquiring material wealth.

My bible tells me that when Jesus dwelt among us, he didn't hobnob with the rich, he didn't acquire material wealth, he didn't ride in the finest horses, he didn't drink the finest wines, instead he embraced modesty, lived amongst the ordinary and poor and was satisfied with that life. So why are these Men of God not following in his footsteps? Why are they acquiring wealth like it's about to go out of fashion?

Acquiring excessive wealth is morally reprehensible in a society like ours where there's a big gap between the rich and the poor. Nigerians are dying of hunger, literarily. I passed Oyingbo early yesterday morning and I've not been able get over what I witnessed there. Please somebody drive down to Oyingbo, at the refuse dump there and see what is going on in our country. [b]I saw two boys picking something from the dump and putting in their mouth. And our Men of God are buying private jets? My God! Do you know how much it costs to acquire and maintain one? Do you know how many poor, homeless, hungry and sick people that kind of money can help? Are you calculating?[/b]

What does anyone want with so much money? How can you serve God and Money at the same time? There's a place in the bible where a certain rich young man turned down Jesus’ invitation to follow him because he was unwilling to leave his money behind. Jesus commented, “How hard it is for the rich to enter the kingdom of God”. (Luke 18:24) What was Jesus trying to say here?

Oh and there's more - "Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where treasure is, there your heart will be also." (Matthew 6:19-21)

More - "Do not wear yourself out to get rich: have the wisdom to show restraint. Cast but a glance at riches, and they are gone, for they will surely sprout wings and fly off to the sky like an eagle" (Proverbs 23:4-5)

I can quote more from the bible but let's move on. See, I'm not against the church, I go to Church as much as the next guy. I'm not against being rich either, I am only against excessive wealth. Excessive being the imperative word. I'm not against Men of God, I just do not approve of some of their methods.

Men of God engaging in pre-marital sex, Men of God engaging in homosexual acts, Men of God molesting young boys in the church, Men of God building business empires and acquiring material wealth like they are competing with greedy politicians.

And let's not even talk about the trade going on in the Church today. The selling of CD's, books, tapes and et al. We all know how angry Jesus was when he witnessed the trade going in the temple in the ancient times and what he did about it

I could go on and on but let me stop here. I'm not judging, I'm just saddened by the things these Men of God are doing and the things they've failed to do.

I've said my piece and I apologize to anyone who finds it offensive, but until you know what it feels like to see two young children eating from a refuse dump, don't talk poo to me!

source

In as much as i see reason with you for alot that you have mentioned here,

I wish to state categorically that the pastors are primarily not responsible for the welfare of the two or more boys/people you see/saw languishing in hunger/poverty. I do not know if you stopped to give a little assistance to the people you saw picking things from the floor and eating, if you didn't, then who do you suppose will?

The government, is the one responsible, primarily for the welfare of the populace, if they fail, blame them first and then blame yourself also as you would the rich, the super rich and the wealthy.

Extortion: men are talked into giving to the pastor for his use at his discretion, our government officials do not just extort, they still the money that belongs to the poor masses, meant for the up-keep of the two boys you saw and many others like them.

I have a lot to say but can't continue for now.
Re: Men Of God And Their Acquisition Of Wealth by Nobody: 5:37pm On Sep 10, 2010
Care-Taker:

In as much as i see reason with you for alot that you have mentioned here,

I wish to state categorically that the pastors are primarily not responsible for the welfare of the two or more boys/people you see/saw languishing in hunger/poverty. I do not know if you stopped to give a little assistance to the people you saw picking things from the floor and eating, if you didn't, then who do you suppose will?

The government, is the one responsible, primarily for the welfare of the populace, if they fail, blame them first and then blame yourself also as you would the rich, the super rich and the wealthy.

Extortion: men are talked into giving to the pastor for his use at his discretion, our government officials do not just extort, they still the money that belongs to the poor masses, meant for the up-keep of the two boys you saw and many others like them.

I have a lot to say but can't continue for now.
Shocking response above.
A lame attempt to exonorate these men of God (?) and their lavish lifestyles in the midst of wanton poverty.
While these men may not be responsible for the "one or two boys/people you see languishing in hunger/poverty"(according to you),it is a SIN for them to display their wealth like unbelievers.
And how many of these pastors are willing to or have attempted to stop their long police-laden convoys to give a buck or two to these "one or two people languishing in hunger/poverty"(according to you)?
And how many of these pastors in their flowing robes and thousand dollar designer suits have condemned the government openly for their failed policies which have led to the "one or two boys/people you see languishing in hunger/povery"(according to you)?Instead they hop on the next flight to Abuja/Government house when there is a change in power so as to dine and wine with these gluttons in office.
All they are mostly concerned with is the next scheme to fleece/force their mostly-gullible congregation out of their hard-earned money.
I was once in a church in Lagos in 2005 when the Pastor,after the sermon,took the pulpit and said the service would not close till 10 people sowed a seed of an amount I cannot remember to buy something for their up-coming annual convention.At the 6th person,the pastor held up the service when the other 4 were not forth-coming.The pastor (name with-held) started calling out names of well-to-do congregation members to come out and register their names.
Bro CareTaker,don't follow or defend these men-of God.Follow God,let God be your focus,not these men who I've lost all respect for.Don't jump on their jock just because they are your pastor.Because the simple/sad truth is most are guilty.I pay my tithe,not because it goes to the pastor because God instructs me to.If I looked at these pastor or GOs or whatever they call themselves these days,I would lose focus on the real issue,which is God.
Re: Men Of God And Their Acquisition Of Wealth by safariman(m): 5:43pm On Sep 10, 2010
If Jesus Christ was alive today, he would probably fly around in his own jet so as to reach as many flocks as possible. He will also get to his destination fast, therefore, have more time to preach the gospel. Unlike these guys today though, HE would probably live in a hut
Re: Men Of God And Their Acquisition Of Wealth by Onlytruth(m): 5:43pm On Sep 10, 2010
Jakumo:

That pastor has very good reason to laugh aboard his private jet, since that luxury transportation was purchased by a grand fleecing of the flock, who would happily starve to death just so their Big Daddy can live it up like a king of the universe.

grin grin grin. lol. Talk of golden fleece.
Re: Men Of God And Their Acquisition Of Wealth by omofat: 6:00pm On Sep 10, 2010
Don't you people get tired?
Re: Men Of God And Their Acquisition Of Wealth by Nobody: 7:02pm On Sep 10, 2010
omo~fat:

How can we ever get tired when men of Gawd give us heavenly entertainment/comedy on a daily basis
Re: Men Of God And Their Acquisition Of Wealth by bawomolo(m): 7:27pm On Sep 10, 2010
omo~fat:

of what?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Senate Clears "ex-tout" With Error On His Cv And Laughs Off "recycling" Issue / Funny:Ghanaians Don Suffered,see What Nigerians Are Saying About Them On Twitter / 10 Types Of People Who Agitates For Biafra

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.