Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,171 members, 7,815,098 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:16 AM

Where Can I Take A Skin-prick Test In Nigeria? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Where Can I Take A Skin-prick Test In Nigeria? (3861 Views)

Should I Take Postinor 2 Everytime? / Dna Test In Nigeria / Hsg Test In Lagos,pls Assist. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Where Can I Take A Skin-prick Test In Nigeria? by aktunde(m): 1:33am On Sep 10, 2010
Re: Where Can I Take A Skin-prick Test In Nigeria? by aktunde(m): 2:34pm On Sep 10, 2010
chai! 11 views no single reply. Where are all the doctors and dermatologists in the house? I now understand why our leaders run abroad for medical treatment. Our health system here is a complete failure! Nigeria is definitely one of the wrong places to fall sick. No wonder why disease which could cost less than $20 to cure, is killing people here like chicken. Na wa o
Re: Where Can I Take A Skin-prick Test In Nigeria? by tpiah: 2:43pm On Sep 10, 2010
get a referral to a teaching hospital.

also, are you feeling excessively tired and thirsty.
Re: Where Can I Take A Skin-prick Test In Nigeria? by aktunde(m): 7:43pm On Sep 10, 2010
Re: Where Can I Take A Skin-prick Test In Nigeria? by tpiah: 12:35am On Sep 11, 2010
what drugs did they give you?

they probably didnt recommend the skin test because they felt they [the symptoms] were indicative something else.

if you're exercising a lot and always feel pain during or after the exercise, then it might be a heart related issue though of course i could be wrong.

if you're seeing excessive urination and/or weight loss then check your diet, reduce your sugar intake and tell the doctor.

You can also post on the medical advice threads as well:

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-3465.0.html

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-261398.0.html

anyway, i'm not sure where you could get a skin prick test done but it would have to be an allergy or asthma clinic, i think. But you might need a referral to see an otorhinolaryngologist or whichever department handles those things in nigeria. Or check with a medical lab or reputable pharmacy.
Re: Where Can I Take A Skin-prick Test In Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:41am On Sep 11, 2010
sounds like exercise-induced asthma from the little you say here. It also seems cold air contributes to this too.
Naija doctors wont recommend a skin-prick test for you because we, unlike the Americans, dont seem to have a problem with allergies that much.
Re: Where Can I Take A Skin-prick Test In Nigeria? by aktunde(m): 6:02pm On Sep 11, 2010
Re: Where Can I Take A Skin-prick Test In Nigeria? by aktunde(m): 6:05pm On Sep 11, 2010
Re: Where Can I Take A Skin-prick Test In Nigeria? by aktunde(m): 6:09pm On Sep 11, 2010
Re: Where Can I Take A Skin-prick Test In Nigeria? by tpiah: 8:17pm On Sep 11, 2010
aktunde:

@davidylan & tpiah
Thanks for our responses. I am really very grateful.
Then to your question, tpiah Well, often times, those doctors try to code the names of those drugs in such a way that only the pharmacist would understand. And most pharmacist will not disclose it. But among all those drugs they gave me, I could always recognize salbutamol,  vitamin C and some paracetamol among them. I don't always know the names of the rest. And I always find these I mentioned, in all that other doctors give me too. I take their advices, but its just not working. So, I don't know.

When I was fed up of visiting those doctors giving almost the same drugs, same advices with no significant change, then I decided to visit a reputable pharmacy. I visited Juli pharmacy because that is the only one i trusted in my area then. it was that pharmacy who gave me KOSTASE (I think its a corticosteroids drug. That was when i noticed a significant change. The excessive tiredness stopped, but other symptoms like chest tightness after excersice leading to discomfort in breathing still remain.
hmmmm, I wont classify it as pain per say. Just some discomfort (chest tightness)and changes in the way I breath. But let's assuming its heart related; isn't there a way or test to confirm that? Probably other physicals they take don't point to that direction. However, I do not expect doctors to always rely 100% on what the patients say. They should still conduct some tests to see where the problem really is. Else, the gamble will never stop.
Oh yeah, I will try that too. I checked them. They are long threads. I just hope I meet good people like you to respond there.

@dadiylan
The bold part of your comment seem to give the summary of everything. So, what is the forward please?

Some doctors would advise you stay away from those triggers, but sometimes it becomes practically impossible. I may decide to stay off exercise (remember that no- exercise is also not good). But lets assume that I stay away from exercise because of those problems. What if I am on the highway, and I have flat tires and I have to change the tires of the SUV I drive, and no one to help? That of course, would require some strengths from  me which could also tighten my chest. That is why I say its practically impossible to stick to those advice sometimes. Then what about staying off cold air? That could be followed but it is still practically impossible some times. What if I have a dress code for work? Would I be on pull over or jacket when its not the appropriate wear for my job? Why I'm I saying all these? I know some one could come up here and start advice me to stay off those possible causes you identified, even when the root cause of the problem is not known, and when there still remains no permanent solution to it.

let's also assume I can't get skin prick test in Nigeria. Isn't there anything I could take to boost my immunity? Because I believe is my immunity is so strong, I should be able to resist any trigger be it cold air or exercise induced or what do you think?

eating citrus fruits or taking vitamin c tablets will boost your immunity.

heart problems are notoriously hard to pinpoint in the initial stages but hopefully that's not what you have.

salbutamol is the nebulizer, and if its not working, then I agree further tests are definitely needed. Frankly, I'm stumped and would like to hear other viewpoints on this.
Re: Where Can I Take A Skin-prick Test In Nigeria? by aktunde(m): 11:52am On Sep 21, 2010

(1) (Reply)

How To Remove Warts ? / Ways Of Connecting Your D S T V Decoder To Your P C And Browse 4 Free_. / 14 Signs You Might Be Pregnant, You Should Never Ignore #6.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.