Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,284 members, 7,818,959 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:57 AM

I Need Help To Improve My Self Confidence. - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / I Need Help To Improve My Self Confidence. (372 Views)

How To Build Self Confidence At Work (beyond Dressing Well) / How To Build Your Self-confidence / Johnspeak Uwangue: 4 Questions That Can Help You Build Self Confidence (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

I Need Help To Improve My Self Confidence. by KingDann: 5:27pm On Apr 04, 2019
Howdy Everyone!

Habegg just read through.

"No forget to go through the proposal again ooh... Tomorrow na the big day!" his whatsapp message reads as I tapped the gringrin emoji in reply and kissed my phone goodnight.

Kelvin is my close friend and work colleague at a small tech startup we ventured into. We had just spent the past few days analyzing and brainstorming some stuffs to get something substantial we could use to pin down a big potential client.

It was 2:00am in the morning. My instinct woke me up from sleep. Being the day we'd make our presentation I couldn't help but got worried of what the outcome was gon be like. I was quite worried that I might blow up the opportunity but on the flip side I was ready for it.

I think the more reason i was worried is due to my personality. I'm more of an Introvert, reserved and calm. I've not really been in such a spotlight before and since it's not up to me I didn't know how my involuntarily and mysterious part of me would react to it.

Oboy 2seconds, day break. I prepared for work, put on my corporate wear with my sharp trouser ghetto looking like samurai sword. Ehh no talk am oh I had to dress well to look professional AF.

So I met with Kelvin my colleague and we headed right to the office where we'd make our presentation.

On reaching there the MD wasn't in the office, we had to wait for more than 2hours before she arrived.

Since we had already booked an appointment, we were invited to an office to make our presentation and submit our proposal.

Entering the office seemed like I was been featured at America Got Talent show, the board of directors I guess, were all seated waiting for us to begin. It began to dawn on me that I was literally tensed and shaky. Regardless, I tried to look confident as possible wink

So we began, my colleague started off by saying our names, about our company and the services we want to offer to them.

Kelvin said it all nice and easy, the tone he used resonated perfectly with our level of expertise.

It got to my turn to say stuffs. I was assigned to talk about the technical aspects and the result of the audit I carried out on their company and how we've mapped out strategic plans for their company. And yeh! I'm the technical expert.

At this point my brain literally went off. All I could picture in my head was how my village people had opened my folder on their desktop computers to reanalyze my situation embarassed

It was a big fight. Similar to one trying to control the rate of sweat coming out his skin pores. I was just talking nonsense and repeating myself when no one even asked cry

My handkerchief was almost dripping water like it was just submerge inside water. I was fumbling while talking and praying deep inside that angel micheal should just blow trumpet even realizing how I rode on Ruth the previous night without asking for God's forgiveness

I couldn't say most of what I had in mind, like some politicians would say "My mandate was stolen" Mine was stolen too and I was responsible for it.

We finished, I was really embarrassed especially at the sight of my colleague. Nigga laughed at me uncontrollably telling me to work on myself and shit.

Although the presentation turned out successful but no doubt I flopped on my side.

All I wanted to do was to go home, sleep, wake up and rethink my life choices.

Which I did as planned. I woke up later and decide to pen this down which you've just read through.

I really need to learn how to garner confidence and self esteem. This is the first time I've actually done something like this and now it scares the shit outta me.

I know many has suffered from this and has improved themselves. I really need to learn how as I'll be doing more of this in the future.

Stage fright/social anxiety is a bane to personal and business development and should be annihilated in order for one to attain his highest potentials.

If you've got a good idea on something or a strategic approach in solving a problem and can't present it effectively, someone with inferior knowledge who's outspoken would easily outflank you.

This is how bad you need to improve your output rigor just so you'd become well rounded, thus, graciously embracing any opportunity that comes your way.

Not to deviate from the subject matter but to acquaint you how this brings out the professionalism in your business endeavors.

However, make wuna help me abegg I really need to get this off my chest.

Sorry if this is quite lengthy, I never intended it to be. I just dey write as e dey come out from head.

Any opinion, recommendation, advice are highly welcome.

Gracias!
Re: I Need Help To Improve My Self Confidence. by meobizy(f): 4:53am On Apr 05, 2019
I'll read and comment properly at a latter time.

[EDIT]
If this didn't happen in a school situation then I don't see what the problem is.
You are in a work environment, this presentation thing will become routine till you master it eventually.
Don't worry, with time you'll become better and slowly but surely forget what it felt like being a beginner.
The difference between a school vs work presentation is the manner of inspection.
In school you can get away with good presenting for a rubbish product/ idea.
At work you can get away with bad presentation skills so far your product/ idea is solid.

Don't worry yourself at all.
Giving it a try was the first step of the journey.

(1) (Reply)

Rude Bank Staff / Work From Home Jobs For Moms No Fee 2019 / Job Vacancy At Spyhub Technologies Limited

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.