Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,295 members, 7,836,293 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 03:16 AM

Let's Use Good English On This Forum - Nairaland / General (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Let's Use Good English On This Forum (6782 Views)

How Many Times Have You Been Banned On This Forum...? And State The Reasons.. / Why Do People Only Address Me With Good English Language??? / Seun - Please Ban The Dispora Nigerians From Contributing On This Forum (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Let's Use Good English On This Forum by moHot(f): 12:42pm On Jun 26, 2008
I concur!
But it's not by force.
Re: Let's Use Good English On This Forum by johndav: 5:26pm On Jun 26, 2008
the idea of good use of english is a splendid thing,cos we ought to speak well of whatever we do.if not what is the need of the saying everything worth doing is what doing well.if you want to speak pidgin nigeria,then we know its that but if its english let it be just that pure and simple,
Re: Let's Use Good English On This Forum by mishooo(m): 5:36pm On Jun 26, 2008
johndav:

the idea of good use of english is a splendid thing,because we ought to speak well of whatever we do.if not what is the need of the saying everything worth doing is what doing well.if you want to speak pidgin nigeria,then we know its that but if its english let it be just that pure and simple,

okay, i suppose say you dey yarn say make we no kaboosh for pidgin again. Na nana i just get your levels. Nothing do you. grin grin
Re: Let's Use Good English On This Forum by mishooo(m): 5:40pm On Jun 26, 2008
Come sef, ingrish na your papa language
Lagbaja don sing am finish. He talk say

' i speak, you hear. when i speak you understand. oro wa ti ye rawa, idea lo ju. if i fire and you dodge, i don't care. na the beginning of crase be that.' grin grin

If you wan form, no be for your house na. You go carry oyinbo commot go outside. This na Naija forum.

make i carry waka before them lynch me jare.
Re: Let's Use Good English On This Forum by sulad82i(m): 11:56am On Feb 02, 2010
I'm sure the person that started this tread will be surprise at some the replies. Its a good idea but really, thats y its called nairaland and not poundland or dollarland. so you have freedom to write and say anything
Re: Let's Use Good English On This Forum by drrionelli(m): 5:00pm On Feb 04, 2010
Realizing the futility of the collective effort to manifest a thread of a perfected manifestation of the English language, let us take another look at the title of the thread. It references "Good" English. Something can be good even if it is somewhat flawed. An operatic performance in which a few notes are sung off-pitch can still be as enjoyable as one in which every tone is spot-on.

I, then, implore that it be considered that any language is, by its inherent nature, deficient in its expressivity. It is for this very reason that languages are not cast in stone. They are, indeed, changing things. So, while the ideal of a perfected presentation is commendable, it is just that--an ideal. We can speak or write in a way that is very good, but still far from the perfected idealized way that some would suggest.

Now, I ask that those who read this post to find and point out the errors in it. Doing so will serve to further prove my point!

In the meantime, let's use the language (in this case, English) as ably as we can. That way, we can assure that we are most precisely understood by as many others as possible at any given time.
Re: Let's Use Good English On This Forum by ghettochyk(f): 6:36pm On Feb 14, 2010
bu.llshi.t. Go be an English professor somewhere else. Who's da smart as.s. that came up with this thread anyways?
Re: Let's Use Good English On This Forum by drrionelli(m): 9:10pm On Feb 14, 2010
Hmmmm--I'm sensing a bit of angst, here, ghettochyk. grin
Re: Let's Use Good English On This Forum by ghettochyk(f): 11:02pm On Feb 14, 2010
drrionelli:

Hmmmm--I'm sensing a bit of angst, here, ghettochyk. grin

grin
Re: Let's Use Good English On This Forum by meobizy(f): 2:49am On Oct 26, 2018
I agree with this. The problem is people from one majority region of the country enjoy typing in their language with reckless abandon. They always spoil the flow of discussions in this forum.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

.. / Is It Charging Point Or Charging Port? / What Is Your Favourite Invention?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.