Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,153 members, 7,818,487 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:11 PM

Why Do Many Countries Not Like Nigeria? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Do Many Countries Not Like Nigeria? (1136 Views)

Fashola: Many Countries Begged Nigeria For Food During Lockdown / Myson Nejo: "It’s Unfortunate To Be A LAWYER In A Lawless Country Like Nigeria" / "The North Never Told Us They Do Not Like Suffering And Poverty" - Fani Kayode (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Many Countries Not Like Nigeria? by Tofax: 8:12pm On Apr 05, 2019
COPIED.

I am from Cameroon and here is my take on the negative perception of Nigeria.... It’s gonna be a long one. Also I’m a native French speaker so don’t mind my English.

Why do many countries not like Nigeria? Population & Perception

ABOUT CRIME

Nigerians are said to be criminal, aggressive, loud etc... The main “problem” Nigeria has is its sheer number. Roughly 200 millions of them. I don’t think Nigerians are more criminal than any other country. But the fact is 1 in 8 black person on planet Earth is Nigerian. So no matter where you go you will have a Nigerian community. They will be bigger than any other African community and therefore be more visible. For say 1 criminal from Cameroon in a given country you will have 8 from Nigeria (simply because their population is 8 times that of Cameroon) thus creating the impression that they are more corrupted/criminal that any other country when they are not.

Take the famous “Nigerian scam” aka 419. I genuinely feel sorry for Nigerians because again they don’t have the monopoly of that. Unfortunately because of the sheer size of the population, you have the impression that it’s only them when it’s every where in Africa (I’ve personally been to 23 African countries and counting). By the way you must admit that you have to be smart to be able to extract money from someone you’ve never seen.

ABOUT BEING AGGRESSIVE

Nigerians must be aggressive because of their number. Let me tell you a story about my first trip to Nigeria. I landed in Lagos early the morning (6am or so). The drive from the airport to the city Center was long and boy there was a lot of traffic. I could see lots and lots (in their thousands) of people along side the highway and couldn’t understand why. They couldn’t have been waiting for a bus (on a high way??) to go to work right? When we had to stop because of the traffic, the car I was in was swarmed by hawkers! It was very scary to be honest. There were only 3 of us in the car: the driver, an armed guard (company policy) and myself, yet there must have been a dozen people surrounding the car and offering to sale all sort of shit from chewing gums to cigarets (not even packets but in the unit). I was shocked and asked myself “how much do they even make per day selling these things? There is so much competition anyway, can they even sell”?? It dawned on me that no matter how much they were making they had to be up early and be agressive if they wanted to make any mone. I always felt that all Nigerian have that kind of “survival of the fittest” mentality. That means being aggressive (in the good sense)

ABOUT BEING LOUD

Again that’s due to the population. If you want to be heard you have to be loud simple as that. Be it at work, school or even your family you have to be loud and in your face to even get noticed. I guess it’s another form of agression.

ABOUT BEING COCKY/ARROGANT

Again this is due to the size of the population and country. I call that “big country syndrome”. I saw very similar behaviour in the US. You can’t blame them. If you’re a Nigerian entrepreneur you won’t give a damn about other countries. Why? Because you have a population of 200 millions to serve. Why would you bother looking at a country like Benin ? Different legal system, language, currency and more importantly a population of just 11 million when Lagos alone has a population of 21 million.

In my experience Nigerians are both cocky and ignorant. Ignorant because they don’t know or care about other African countries. In Africa they only know South Africa, Ghana and to a certain extend Kenya.

Again I see a lot of similarities with America.

ABOUT TREVOR ZYLSTRA

Trevor Zylstra said Cameroon had a few tussle with Nigeria. Not sure what you mean but yeah there was a dispute over Bakassi an oil rich island. The conflit was peacefully resolved.

Nigeria at some point blamed Cameroon for not fighting Boko Haram (forgetting that they let that cancer grow and spread in many countries). After many terrorists attacks, Cameroon army step up and cooperation has been excellent and we are united agains those bastards.

Last but not least there are unrest in the English speaking part of Cameroon (Cameroon and Canada are the only 2 countries to be bilingual French-English). Some of our English speaking compatriots (I am from the French speaking side), who represent roughly 20% of the population, feel they have been poorly treated and want independence. Some have taken up arms and fighting a small guerrilla war. Since that part of the country has a border with Nigeria, arms were smuggled from Nigeria and terrorists had training camp in Nigeria. Again, thanks to the excellent cooperation at government level, Nigeria has sent troops to control the borders, thus significantly reducing the supply routes for terrorists.

Last but not least I want to stress that Cameroon and Nigeria have bilateral agreement and Nigerians can come to Cameroon anytime and without visa and the reverse is true. It it estimated that there are 1 million Nigerian living in Cameroon (in a population of 25 mn). We’ve never had any particular issues with them.

I for one like Nigerians but admit that I won’t date a Nigerian woman. Don’t get me wrong: they are as beautiful, smart as it gets but boy are they high maintenance. To much wahala... (trouble)

https://www.quora.com/home
Re: Why Do Many Countries Not Like Nigeria? by Rockyrascal(m): 8:53pm On Apr 05, 2019
I don't think many countries hate Nigeria. But many foreigners won't come to Nigeria because of the following reasons:

NIGERIA IS NOT A HOME FOR TOURISM DESTINATION

THE RECENT INSURGENCY IN THE COUNTRY'S NORTH EASTERN REGION

FALSE PORTRAYAL BY THE MEDIA ABOUT THE COUNTRY

1 Like

Re: Why Do Many Countries Not Like Nigeria? by mightyhaze: 9:10pm On Apr 05, 2019
How many nigerians like nigeria ?

If we truly love Nigeria,would we elect lifeless incorporated to be our rulers ?

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Many Countries Not Like Nigeria? by Mahsums: 9:16pm On Apr 05, 2019
Ppl of that region
Re: Why Do Many Countries Not Like Nigeria? by princemillla(m): 9:35pm On Apr 05, 2019
Take it or leave it. Every countryman love his country. The day you will be addressed like an animal by officials of other country, it will be dawned on u that there no place like home.
Re: Why Do Many Countries Not Like Nigeria? by advocate666: 9:51pm On Apr 05, 2019
princemillla:
Take it or leave it. Every countryman love his country. The day you will be addressed like an animal by officials of other country, it will be dawned on u that there no place like home.

Na lie. The worst treatment I have had was in the Zoo.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do Many Countries Not Like Nigeria? by advocate666: 9:52pm On Apr 05, 2019
Stop blaming foreigners for your shortcomings.
The destruction of Nigeria will give me enormous joy.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do Many Countries Not Like Nigeria? by princemillla(m): 9:55pm On Apr 05, 2019
advocate666:

That was the zoo. Our police Re easily bought off. Just settle u r gone. Don't try this with other countries officials.

I have been called several names, abuse and others and u know what, you won't be able to say a single shit.

Only traveller's will relate
Re: Why Do Many Countries Not Like Nigeria? by advocate666: 10:00pm On Apr 05, 2019
princemillla:

That was the zoo. Our police Re easily bought off. Just settle u r gone. Don't try this with other countries officials.

I have been called several names, abuse and others and u know what, you won't be able to say a single shit.

Only traveller's will relate

Beause you are a zoo citizen carrying a zoo passport. Why wont you be insulted.

Other people travel but don't get insulted anyhow. Only zoo citizens.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Many Countries Not Like Nigeria? by princemillla(m): 10:09pm On Apr 05, 2019
advocate666:

Pls stop mentioning me if you won't comment like a sane person.
Re: Why Do Many Countries Not Like Nigeria? by babyfaceafrica: 10:21pm On Apr 05, 2019
who cares who likes who?..doss their likeness help us?...nansense
Re: Why Do Many Countries Not Like Nigeria? by Daewang: 10:26pm On Apr 05, 2019
advocate666:

That's why I hate it when some idiots say "one zoo". I refuse to be a citizen of the zoo

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Many Countries Not Like Nigeria? by advocate666: 12:30am On Apr 06, 2019
princemillla:

Pls stop mentioning me if you won't comment like a sane person.

Sanity is relative.
Re: Why Do Many Countries Not Like Nigeria? by EagleNest(m): 5:18am On Apr 06, 2019
It's not true that too many countries don't like Nigerians.

To me, your "population" reasons are not exhaustive.

Amongst us Africans, I can smell a little bit of envy about Nigerians. Probably because they're distinctive in their pursuit of wealth, career, happiness or because they probably make stronger inroads to what I will tag whiteman's exclusive areas like education and technology. Nigerians are very competitive and seen in rare places where you hardly see blacks.

On the negative side, yes we could be hated because of crimes as well. Here, the population thing could be helpful because we are many. And leadership has been our greatest set back. None at all!

Nevertheless we love every African, regardless of whether you like us or not.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Many Countries Not Like Nigeria? by helinues: 6:22am On Apr 06, 2019
The question should have been why do Nigerians misbehave outside their country?
Re: Why Do Many Countries Not Like Nigeria? by adekolaelect(m): 7:34am On Apr 06, 2019
advocate666:

you calling your country zoo ,you supporting crime ,corruption and hate speech to you4 leaders and fellow Nigerians and you want other country to respect and treats you as a King but in the Zoo.
Re: Why Do Many Countries Not Like Nigeria? by advocate666: 12:54pm On Apr 06, 2019
adekolaelect:
you calling your country zoo ,you supporting crime ,corruption and hate speech to you4 leaders and fellow Nigerians and you want other country to respect and treats you as a King but in the Zoo.

The zoo is not my country. I reject it.
The zoo is a British experiment that parasites keep perpetuating.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Many Countries Not Like Nigeria? by mbos: 2:53pm On Apr 06, 2019
Daewang:

That's why I hate it when some idiots say "one zoo". I refuse to be a citizen of the zoo

me too
Re: Why Do Many Countries Not Like Nigeria? by mbos: 2:56pm On Apr 06, 2019
adekolaelect:

which country. a place where people are forced to live together. ili
living fake is not REAL
hence a ZOO
Re: Why Do Many Countries Not Like Nigeria? by Daewang: 3:01pm On Apr 06, 2019
mbos:

me too

One day we will be free.
Re: Why Do Many Countries Not Like Nigeria? by mbos: 3:09pm On Apr 06, 2019
Daewang:

One day we will be free.
amen

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Many Countries Not Like Nigeria? by Bighead9: 4:36pm On Apr 06, 2019
Igbo's and their Criminal activities caused it.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Many Countries Not Like Nigeria? by zlantanfan: 4:51pm On Apr 06, 2019
That idiot 666 up their is busy ranting online, why can't he just channel the same energy and get out of the country like they all threatened post election.

O I forgot, they are really worthless and have no place to go to.

Back to topic, Nigerians are the cause of everything, citizens have to first love their country first, the majority of Nigerians overseas are always the first to sell how bad the place they come from is and then the foreigners get to see first hand atrocities Nigerians themselves committee offshore from paper forgery, fraud, crime, drug peddling, prostitution etc
Re: Why Do Many Countries Not Like Nigeria? by tck2000(m): 10:44am On Sep 18, 2019
Hmm
Re: Why Do Many Countries Not Like Nigeria? by tpiander: 10:46am On Sep 18, 2019
Dunno

(1) (Reply)

Ned Nwoko Aides Kill Man Over Land / Leave South West Now Or Incur Our Wrath.. OPC To Fulani Herdsmen. / Biafra Never Started With Igbo Folks, See The Original Story Here. Read Quietly

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.