Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,181 members, 7,811,458 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 12:00 PM

Fashola: Many Countries Begged Nigeria For Food During Lockdown - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fashola: Many Countries Begged Nigeria For Food During Lockdown (38670 Views)

Northern Muslims In Anambra Recout How Obi Brought Them Food During Ramadan / Twitter Begged Nigeria To Lift Suspension, FG Reveals / Many Countries Begged Nigeria For Food During Lockdown – FG (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fashola: Many Countries Begged Nigeria For Food During Lockdown by ogododo: 5:00pm On Jun 13, 2020
The Federal Government has said many neighbouring countries asked Nigeria for food during the lockdown occasioned by coronavirus pandemic.

Minister of Works and Housing, Babatunde Fashola, made this known on Saturday during an Instagram Live Chat with City People Magazine.

The minister, who spoke on the COVID-19 Economic Sustainability Plan recently submitted by Vice-President Yemi Osinbajo to the President, Major General Muhammadu Buhari (retd.), said the plan contains diverse measures to fortify the Nigerian economy against any shock brought by the pandemic.

Fashola said, “We are looking at constructing roads with more stones, more cement, more iron rods so that more people will be employed. For example, it will take 14 people to build a kilometre of road. So, if you are doing more kilometres, it will demand more labour and materials, so, these are some of the bolts and nuts of that plan.

“Agriculture is another critical part of the Economic Sustainability Plan. We want to increase the cultivatable lands in the country. We are currently cultivating just about one-third and I stand to be corrected on that figure – the minister of agriculture knows the numbers than I do. But in his presentation, as I recollect it, we are not cultivating enough lands. We want to double cultivation, increase food output, not just for local use but for export.

“I must say to Nigerians that because of the success of the agriculture programme which is still evolving, during this COVID exercise, many countries were writing to us from near and far, asking us to please supply them food. This is not in the public space but President Buhari’s priority was, tell them to wait, we must feed our people first before we send out food, we don’t know when this is going to end.

“So, we want to see more value-added in the sector in terms of processing and cultivation. We are losing an unsatisfactory quantity of our agro produce to many factors – transport, cooling, heating and so on. These are some of the components that the Ministry of Agriculture will share in the next few months about how to ensure that we preserve many more of what we produce and lose less.”

The former governor of Lagos State also noted that the National Housing Project which started in 2016 is still ongoing. He stressed that the Ministry of Housing understudied the type of houses Nigerians liked to live in because “cultural differences impact on the way people live”.

He said, “We learnt from the previous National Housing Scheme during the Shagari era that not everybody liked the way the Shagari houses were built. Whilst it was a laudable initiative by that administration, it did not really respond fully to all the aspirations of Nigerians in terms of the type of houses they want to live in.

“In all the 34 states which gave us lands, we have completed the houses. We have now started a second phase in many of those houses close to where the first phase was.”

Beyond building houses, the Senior Advocate said his ministry was providing “Site and Service Scheme” for people who don’t want the government to build houses for them but want the government’s protection and amenities like potable water, steady power, amongst others.

“All over the world, the truism is that not everybody will be able to own a home but they deserve some kind of shelter. Some people have to rent. So, the Federal Government provides Home Renovation Loan which helps some people subsidise their rent, renovate their houses and so forth.

“We are also intervening in the housing sector by issuing titled documents. We’re issuing Certificates of Occupancy. I have signed over 3,400 C of Os in the last two years,” he added.

On federal road projects, Fashola said, “We are making appreciable progress, we have over 600 different contracts. We had hoped that this year, we will complete about 22 major roads between this year and 2021. We have lost three months which is March and now (June) which is our most prolific period before the rainy season. But we will pick up sometimes around September.”

On the case management of the novel coronavirus disease, the minister said, “We were better equipped with information at the time Ebola broke out. The Ebola Virus has been under observation and study especially in East and Central Africa for over 40 years. So, there was a lot of knowledge about its parameters, what to expect, what not to expect. And it was with that information that we were able to respond.

“Those who are battling coronavirus today have only six months knowledge of this virus. So, the parameters of what to look for are constantly changing. In the beginning, we thought that temperature was a good standard – that everybody who had it will have high temperature.

“We now know better that some people will have no symptoms at all. Some people lose sense of taste, they lose their sense of smell, they have headache. I know there are many scientists in the world today doing a lot of research, pathology works from those who have been infected and died trying to understudy the virus.

“What to do now is to follow new advise, wear masks, keep social distancing. If we do that, we will help health workers reduce their workload and help them lead us out of this pandemic.”

https://punchng.com/many-countries-begged-nigeria-for-food-during-lockdown-fg/

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Fashola: Many Countries Begged Nigeria For Food During Lockdown by Nobody: 5:04pm On Jun 13, 2020
We want to...,
We will...,
We are going to...
These mendacious phrases have become the base of speech of government of the day.

In another news, I made my first FTC on nairaland today so let me dedicate this to all who stands with the truth always.

244 Likes 23 Shares

Re: Fashola: Many Countries Begged Nigeria For Food During Lockdown by SeverusSnape(m): 5:04pm On Jun 13, 2020
grin

This administration can hype themselves eh... cheesy

Those countries no know say hunger wan finish people for here?... Nigeria that couldn't share palliatives to most of its citizens is the one this government is claiming other countries are begging for food, they should come up with a better lie please.

217 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Fashola: Many Countries Begged Nigeria For Food During Lockdown by SLAP44: 5:06pm On Jun 13, 2020
Shame no dey some people face oo

135 Likes 15 Shares

Re: Fashola: Many Countries Begged Nigeria For Food During Lockdown by Lorazepam(f): 5:06pm On Jun 13, 2020
grin grin grin

How dem go beg country wey no even fit supply correct food palliative to it's own citizens and was busy distributing rotten rice up and down during lockdown cheesy

They should let us know the countries abeg, because this our Govt dey blow lie for Africa

128 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Fashola: Many Countries Begged Nigeria For Food During Lockdown by MyVILLAGEpeople(m): 5:07pm On Jun 13, 2020
grin grin grin grin

Don't even know what to say again on this administration of perpetual liars.

73 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Fashola: Many Countries Begged Nigeria For Food During Lockdown by ogododo: 5:09pm On Jun 13, 2020
Lies no get part again

62 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Fashola: Many Countries Begged Nigeria For Food During Lockdown by merit455(m): 5:09pm On Jun 13, 2020
This is for zombies,who has decided to be slaves in their own country

36 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Fashola: Many Countries Begged Nigeria For Food During Lockdown by flokii: 5:09pm On Jun 13, 2020
All hail the giant of Africa.. surely we'll get there

7 Likes

Re: Fashola: Many Countries Begged Nigeria For Food During Lockdown by SeverusSnape(m): 5:11pm On Jun 13, 2020
flokii:
All hail the giant of Africa.. surely we'll get there
Remove the two first alphabets from "GIANT", that's what Nigeria is. undecided

96 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Fashola: Many Countries Begged Nigeria For Food During Lockdown by Racoon(m): 5:12pm On Jun 13, 2020
grin The only refreshing aspect of Buhari’s presidency is the frankness of its dishonesty. Ndi uchu!

107 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Fashola: Many Countries Begged Nigeria For Food During Lockdown by EddyRex: 5:12pm On Jun 13, 2020
Am shock

18 Likes

Re: Fashola: Many Countries Begged Nigeria For Food During Lockdown by History555: 5:12pm On Jun 13, 2020
I dare him to mention those countries

27 Likes

Re: Fashola: Many Countries Begged Nigeria For Food During Lockdown by Nobody: 5:14pm On Jun 13, 2020

35 Likes

Re: Fashola: Many Countries Begged Nigeria For Food During Lockdown by flokii: 5:14pm On Jun 13, 2020
SeverusSnape:

Remove the two first alphabets from "GIANT", that's what Nigeria is. undecided

You think?

If Nigeria coughs or sneezes, Africa trembles. Those in AU, ECOWAS etc. can relate.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fashola: Many Countries Begged Nigeria For Food During Lockdown by SeverusSnape(m): 5:16pm On Jun 13, 2020
flokii:

You think?

If Nigeria coughs or sneezes, Africa trembles. Those in AU, ECOWAS etc. can relate.
grin grin
Which Nigeria??, This same one I'm in?

The one that's being governed by a senile dullard?

The one that is a laughing stock in the comity of nations? grin

99 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Fashola: Many Countries Begged Nigeria For Food During Lockdown by Caseless: 5:18pm On Jun 13, 2020
We're still that big brother.
Re: Fashola: Many Countries Begged Nigeria For Food During Lockdown by slivertongue: 5:19pm On Jun 13, 2020
LIES FROM THE PIT OF HELL

16 Likes

Re: Fashola: Many Countries Begged Nigeria For Food During Lockdown by Azmanaty: 5:19pm On Jun 13, 2020
Lie lie FG. Who takes u people serious?

8 Likes

Re: Fashola: Many Countries Begged Nigeria For Food During Lockdown by dropurluv(m): 5:23pm On Jun 13, 2020
enough of this agriculture brouhaha...# the speech is boring already, all talk never any form of action... even when they shout and talk about implementable policies, it still get hijacked.

7 Likes

Re: Fashola: Many Countries Begged Nigeria For Food During Lockdown by mikeycharles(m): 5:24pm On Jun 13, 2020
Lies from the pit of hell

3 Likes

Re: Fashola: Many Countries Begged Nigeria For Food During Lockdown by Opexzy: 5:25pm On Jun 13, 2020
Wetin come happen, even your citizens begged you for food... You give dem?

Caseless:
We're still that big brother.

Someone should please, wake this guy....

14 Likes

Re: Fashola: Many Countries Begged Nigeria For Food During Lockdown by slivertongue: 5:25pm On Jun 13, 2020
"many countries were writing to us from near and far, asking us to please supply them food. This is not in the public space but President Buhari’s priority was, tell them to wait, we must feed our people first before we send out food, we don’t know when this is going to end."

propaganda from a country that can't feed het citizens

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fashola: Many Countries Begged Nigeria For Food During Lockdown by helinues: 5:26pm On Jun 13, 2020
Before you go dash me clothes,I must see your wardrobe

8 Likes

Re: Fashola: Many Countries Begged Nigeria For Food During Lockdown by History555: 5:28pm On Jun 13, 2020
flokii:

You think?

Explain the kind of cough that will cause egypt algeria, south Africa to tremble

43 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Fashola: Many Countries Begged Nigeria For Food During Lockdown by ogododo: 5:30pm On Jun 13, 2020
My people say, somebody wey go borrow you clothes, you go check wetin he de wear for body

11 Likes

Re: Fashola: Many Countries Begged Nigeria For Food During Lockdown by Iamgrey5(m): 5:31pm On Jun 13, 2020
History555:

Explain the kind of cough that will cause egypt algeria, south Africa to tremble
South Africa biggest investment in Africa outside their own country is in Nigeria

Refugee crises would push other countries to the edge because of Nigerians population.

6 Likes

Re: Fashola: Many Countries Begged Nigeria For Food During Lockdown by Vyzz: 5:38pm On Jun 13, 2020
Believe me

I AM SHOCKED

11 Likes

Re: Fashola: Many Countries Begged Nigeria For Food During Lockdown by Vyzz: 5:39pm On Jun 13, 2020
Believe me

I AM SHOCKED

2 Likes

Re: Fashola: Many Countries Begged Nigeria For Food During Lockdown by punisha: 5:42pm On Jun 13, 2020

It will never be well with Nigerians current leaders.

5 Likes

Re: Fashola: Many Countries Begged Nigeria For Food During Lockdown by flokii: 5:42pm On Jun 13, 2020
History555:

The market/population of Nigeria..

Most of those countries you mentioned have large investments in Nigeria paying off for them. Any change in policy of government or in international relation/ties can cripple some economies in Africa.
Do not underestimate your own country. The bad part is our leaders and to a large extent, we the citizens.

10 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Fashola: Many Countries Begged Nigeria For Food During Lockdown by Nobody: 5:42pm On Jun 13, 2020
I pity those countries that beg Nigeria for food. How can you beg a beggar? Nigeria that couldn't feed 1% of its citizens
Its not me these people will deceive. Tufiakwa grin

17 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

God Has Told Me Who Will Become Next President But….. - Primate Ayodele / How We Used Religion To Give Tinubu Victory – El-Rufai / They Will Lose Together - Presidency Reacts To Atiku, Obasanjo Meeting

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.