Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,581 members, 7,820,103 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:43 AM

“I Am In The Bus” Or “I Am On The Bus”: Which Is Correct? - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / “I Am In The Bus” Or “I Am On The Bus”: Which Is Correct? (46538 Views)

Offhand Or Offhead Which Is Correct / A Hotel Or An Hotel, Which One Is Correct? / The Bus Oshiomhole Donated To UNIBEN SUG 3 Years Ago (PHOTOS) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: “I Am In The Bus” Or “I Am On The Bus”: Which Is Correct? by bkool7(m): 8:59am On Apr 08, 2019
Here

Re: “I Am In The Bus” Or “I Am On The Bus”: Which Is Correct? by saintneo(m): 9:04am On Apr 08, 2019
ProsperChild:
Hello? lemme know

Both are correct, but it depends on perspective. English Language can be technical too.

If you are riding to a place - home, work, etc; then I am on the bus becomes appropriate. I am on the bus, riding to my friend's restaurant.

However, if you are describing something to someone, then I am in the bus becomes appropriate. I am in the bus, sitting at the front sit.

Do you know that is is a noun and a verb in this sentence?
Re: “I Am In The Bus” Or “I Am On The Bus”: Which Is Correct? by Funaki: 9:08am On Apr 08, 2019
we're on the bus grin

2 Likes

Re: “I Am In The Bus” Or “I Am On The Bus”: Which Is Correct? by nkayclement: 9:10am On Apr 08, 2019
ProsperChild:
Hello? lemme know

When you are travelling with public transport, it is best said that " you are on" while private you use "in"
Re: “I Am In The Bus” Or “I Am On The Bus”: Which Is Correct? by Lampert505(m): 9:35am On Apr 08, 2019
Why kill yourself on top person language?

I trust my warri brothers, na I DEY INSIDE BUS correct pass

1 Like

Re: “I Am In The Bus” Or “I Am On The Bus”: Which Is Correct? by BecaciaBarbie(f): 9:51am On Apr 08, 2019
Birniwa:
Unfortunately none of the replies above is correct, there's actually an English rule for this. When a vehicle has an ample space that can allow you to walk; like a train or bus; you use on because you're actually walking on the space to get to your seat.

For a vehicle like car where we don't get a space to walk or stand up, we use in because we're actually sitting in our seat.

I hope this helps.
Finally, an explanation that makes sense.

2 Likes

Re: “I Am In The Bus” Or “I Am On The Bus”: Which Is Correct? by Ogaga87(m): 9:54am On Apr 08, 2019
Whobedatte:
I am at the bus
Correct

Re: “I Am In The Bus” Or “I Am On The Bus”: Which Is Correct? by Archangelhenrio(m): 9:56am On Apr 08, 2019
"I'M ON A BUS" is the right sentence.
Re: “I Am In The Bus” Or “I Am On The Bus”: Which Is Correct? by Originalsly: 10:02am On Apr 08, 2019
Nnaabros:
Both are correct depending on the point you want to pass across.

In the bus (inside the bus)
describes the location relative to the bus

On the bus
describes something which is accompanying the bus during its travel. In the same sense that you use ON when you are on a process or engaged in an action with something else. E.G,

I'm ON the job,

I'm on the way. Compare that with saying I'm IN the way. One indicates an action, process, or engagement. The other tells your position.

If you want to say you've started an action or a process, or you've engaged yourself with something, you simply say, I'm on it

If an action or a process has started, you say,

It's ON.

Basically, the preposition ON applies more to actions or engagements. But sometimes to a position ONTOP of another.

I'm in/on the car on my way to work.
Re: “I Am In The Bus” Or “I Am On The Bus”: Which Is Correct? by IFEOLUWAKRIZ: 10:03am On Apr 08, 2019
11thGoldTREE:
THIS THREAD IS THE MOST CONFUSING THREAD I HAVE EVER BEEN ON/IN

Yeye

Oga I dey inside kar

grin cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: “I Am In The Bus” Or “I Am On The Bus”: Which Is Correct? by netmillionaires(m): 10:04am On Apr 08, 2019
You can easily tell which one to use by completing the sentence.
When you need to tell someone that you are travelling, you can use "ON"

Example: Imagine travelling to Lagos from Benin and then your host called to ask for your location. Then you can say...
I am on the bus TO/HEADING TOWARDS OSHODI. Which indicate that you on the move to a place.

You can also say... I am in the bus to indicate that you are inside the bus.

IN is mostly used when the intention is not to indicate travelling. Now imagine this scenario. You ask a man to check you up at Shoprite. On getting to Shoprite, he could not locate you so he opt to put a call through to your line. Oga I dey Shoprite nah. Where are you?
You will say... I am in the/a bus.

Now imagine that someone called your phone and you decided not to be disturbed because you are in a car/bus. then you say...
I am in a bus PLEASE I WILL CALL YOU BACk IN FIVE MINUTES.
notice that this doesn't mean the bus is static like someone suggest above. It only mean that you are not trying to tell the person about your travelling but the reason why you didn't want to pick the call.
Re: “I Am In The Bus” Or “I Am On The Bus”: Which Is Correct? by bleskid: 10:25am On Apr 08, 2019
Whobedatte:
I am at the bus Correct
bum appostle must hear of this

1 Like

Re: “I Am In The Bus” Or “I Am On The Bus”: Which Is Correct? by mrkings84(m): 10:26am On Apr 08, 2019
How does this add to my bank account??

If I tell u " I am in the bus or I am on the bus" just know say na bus way I enter. That's all!!
Re: “I Am In The Bus” Or “I Am On The Bus”: Which Is Correct? by laprince(m): 10:51am On Apr 08, 2019
falcon01:
well let me break it down for you, "In is used when you want to describe your current location" "on" is used when describing the Traveling.

you just did a good one here.
weldone.
Re: “I Am In The Bus” Or “I Am On The Bus”: Which Is Correct? by AerialMapper: 11:20am On Apr 08, 2019
Whobedatte:
I am at the bus
Correct

I am with the bus is even more correct.
Re: “I Am In The Bus” Or “I Am On The Bus”: Which Is Correct? by Austino50: 11:24am On Apr 08, 2019
Birniwa:
Unfortunately none of the replies above is correct, there's actually an English rule for this. When a vehicle has an ample space that can allow you to walk; like a train or bus; you use on because you're actually walking on the space to get to your seat.

For a vehicle like car where we don't get a space to walk or stand up, we use in because we're actually sitting in our seat.

I hope this helps.
what if you are traveling with moluwe or mararaba yaya bus ?
Re: “I Am In The Bus” Or “I Am On The Bus”: Which Is Correct? by toyota3(m): 11:33am On Apr 08, 2019
somez:
Noooo...

You are 'On' the bus when the bus is on the road moving.

You are 'In' the bus when it's yet to move.

Correct
Re: “I Am In The Bus” Or “I Am On The Bus”: Which Is Correct? by UncleGokj(m): 11:42am On Apr 08, 2019
Both are used interchangeably, but the correct way is below :
You are on the bus only when the bus is in motion, and u are in the bus when the bus is not in motion.
Re: “I Am In The Bus” Or “I Am On The Bus”: Which Is Correct? by Kay512: 11:43am On Apr 08, 2019
bless1015:
My dear you can't be on the Bus except you are hanging on the Bus.once your inside the Bus it becomes in the Bus. you can't not be in the Bus and be saying on the Bus please it's disgusting.

You're, not your.

Both are correct. It's the context that determines which one to use.
Re: “I Am In The Bus” Or “I Am On The Bus”: Which Is Correct? by mechanics(m): 12:23pm On Apr 08, 2019
Since the vehicle is on the road, that means you are on the bus.
Re: “I Am In The Bus” Or “I Am On The Bus”: Which Is Correct? by Brugo(m): 12:43pm On Apr 08, 2019
What a thread! Some responses reveal why we are required by foreign governments to write TOEFL or IELTS, despite the fact that English is our official Language.
Re: “I Am In The Bus” Or “I Am On The Bus”: Which Is Correct? by Mustiboy(m): 1:43pm On Apr 08, 2019
netmillionaires:
You can easily tell which one to use by completing the sentence.
When you need to tell someone that you are travelling, you can use "ON"

Example: Imagine travelling to Lagos from Benin and then your host called to ask for your location. Then you can say...
I am on the bus TO/HEADING TOWARDS OSHODI. Which indicate that you on the move to a place.

You can also say... I am in the bus to indicate that you are inside the bus.

IN is mostly used when the intention is not to indicate travelling. Now imagine this scenario. You ask a man to check you up at Shoprite. On getting to Shoprite, he could not locate you so he opt to put a call through to your line. Oga I dey Shoprite nah. Where are you?
You will say... I am in the/a bus.

Now imagine that someone called your phone and you decided not to be disturbed because you are in a car/bus. then you say...
I am in a bus PLEASE I WILL CALL YOU BACk IN FIVE MINUTES.
notice that this doesn't mean the bus is static like someone suggest above. It only mean that you are not trying to tell the person about your travelling but the reason why you didn't want to pick the call.
your brain is functional
Re: “I Am In The Bus” Or “I Am On The Bus”: Which Is Correct? by Nobody: 2:52pm On Apr 08, 2019
iyke926:
I dey inside bus.

Shikena!!

Lobatan. Correct guy. Naija no dey carry last grin

1 Like

Re: “I Am In The Bus” Or “I Am On The Bus”: Which Is Correct? by Butoneday2(m): 3:04pm On Apr 08, 2019
falcon01:
well let me break it down for you, "In is used when you want to describe your current location" "on" is used when describing the Traveling.
Bros i don't understand this your english. Which kind grammar be this one. grin
Re: “I Am In The Bus” Or “I Am On The Bus”: Which Is Correct? by Butoneday2(m): 3:07pm On Apr 08, 2019
iyke926:
I dey inside bus.

Shikena!!
my brother ur right i dey inside bus is the final solution. grin grin

1 Like

Re: “I Am In The Bus” Or “I Am On The Bus”: Which Is Correct? by KingWarri: 3:17pm On Apr 08, 2019
ProsperChild:
Hello? lemme know
we just here competing to sound English correctly (foreign language) when majority of Nigerians can't even write in their own language....
Re: “I Am In The Bus” Or “I Am On The Bus”: Which Is Correct? by Chipink(f): 4:33pm On Apr 08, 2019
somez:
Noooo...

You are 'On' the bus when the bus is on the road moving.

You are 'In' the bus when it's yet to move.

You alone got the answer correctly.
Re: “I Am In The Bus” Or “I Am On The Bus”: Which Is Correct? by somez(m): 5:26pm On Apr 08, 2019
You are knowledgeable
Chipink:

You alone got the answer correctly.

1 Like

Re: “I Am In The Bus” Or “I Am On The Bus”: Which Is Correct? by Chipink(f): 6:06pm On Apr 08, 2019
somez:
You are knowledgeable

Thanks you too.
Re: “I Am In The Bus” Or “I Am On The Bus”: Which Is Correct? by Francopol(m): 7:00am On Apr 09, 2019
Wat of "at" and "in"...like at home and in de house... something of dat nature

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

4 UNILORIN Accident Victims Die / Meet Okorogheye Orisheneye David, 15-Year-Old Who Scored 9 A's In WAEC, 332 JAMB / How Many Did This, Back In Secondary School Days? (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.