Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,844 members, 7,817,493 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:08 PM

Why 5G Isn’t Quite What You Think. - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Why 5G Isn’t Quite What You Think. (2361 Views)

Why 5G Auction Won’t Hold – NCC / I Purchased A Phone On Konga And I Am Quite Uneasy About It (see Why) / 3 Reasons Why Nigeria Isn’t Ready For 5G Technology In 2019 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why 5G Isn’t Quite What You Think. by Techvenge: 4:35am On Apr 10, 2019

Pretty soon everything else will be 5G, if you’re reading this you probably have an internet connection but what if we told you it could be so much faster.

Fast like a cheetah with a rocket tied to its back, 5G is here but what is it and will it live up to the hype.

We have the facts

5G means 5th generation and it solves the biggest problem holding back 4G, that is, latency or lagging speed. Our phones today operate at about 50 milliseconds of latency, 5G, however, runs at less than one millisecond of latency you will just have to trust that means really fast connection.

Assuming a speed of 10 gigabytes per second, in 5g it would take less than a second to download a one-gigabyte photo and with all your free time it takes only another 30 seconds to download the entire first season of Game of Thrones in HD.

This transformation rewrites the future in countless ways and it already has a name the “Internet of Things or IoT” and everything from remotely controlled surgeries to super smart homes to truly autonomous vehicles will be connected but to achieve instantaneous speeds the infrastructure must come with it.

5G networks require a completely new system of cell towers that operate at a different frequency that must be positioned closer to people’s homes and businesses to repeat their signals.

The world’s leading economies are all vying to be the first to go 5G on a national scale and experts say the US, China and South Korea are the frontrunners for an economic boost of 500 billion dollars and 3 million new jobs but there’s a catch, building the infrastructure will cost lots and lots of money.

For example in South Korea, with a small population and great infrastructure, the cost of 5G is set to exceed 8 billion dollars for a single service provider and according to Bloomberg the upgrade to 5G would cost 200 billion dollars a year in order to be built.

In the USA, AT&T became the first wireless carrier to launch a mobile network based on the 5G standard, it went live in 12 cities on December 18th, 2018 but it’s not fully operational yet.

Once it is, however, AT&T said it will charge consumers $70 per month for 15 gigabytes which is not exactly cheap and t-mobile promised to have 5G up and running in 30 cities with actual usage starting this year and Verizon plans to release a 5G hotspot as well.

Mobile companies will do their best to market and advertise their efforts for the latest 5G enabled phone.

We’ve seen this before with the transition from 3G and 4G, if you remember after 4G was rolled out it took some time before we saw a significant speed increase. So give yourself time before diving headfirst into 5G related products.

That 5G enable phone is no better than the current 4G without the infrastructure upgrades so beware of the early rollouts that use 5G buzz words or other gimmicks like ultra-wideband, 5G+ and 5G evolution. They may not actually give you the speeds that 5G promises and get ready for more confusing names with 6G Wireless and 10G broadband just around the corner.

The momentum for 5G is coming fast but not quite cheetah with a rocket fast and even so it’s slated to be pretty awesome.

READ FULL ARTICLE: https://www.techvenge.net/2019/03/why-5g-isnt-quite-what-you-think.html

Mynd44
Lalasticlala
Seun.
Re: Why 5G Isn’t Quite What You Think. by Jacktheripper: 4:45am On Apr 10, 2019
Nice article OP. But wetin concern agbero with overload! Wetin concern Nigeria with 5G. Just yesterday I saw some guys on Facebook jubilating about the launch of 4G in their area in 2019.

So tell me when will 5G reach Nigeria? Maybe when the world is planning 8G.

18 Likes

Re: Why 5G Isn’t Quite What You Think. by beewhy009(m): 5:05am On Apr 10, 2019
PMB is still on 2G and OP is talking about 5G. angry

4 Likes

Re: Why 5G Isn’t Quite What You Think. by Nobody: 5:36am On Apr 10, 2019
Subscription will be finishing like madt grin honestly one of the things I hate about coming back to Nigeria... Nothing is unlimited unlike here where paying $70 a month for t mobile wifi gets you all the internet you'll ever need

1 Like

Re: Why 5G Isn’t Quite What You Think. by hisgrace090: 6:52am On Apr 10, 2019
The mtn mast in my area only dishes out 2g network no 3g talk less of 5g network.

1 Like

Re: Why 5G Isn’t Quite What You Think. by NuclearReactor: 7:44am On Apr 10, 2019
beewhy009:
Thats why he is called Baba Go Slow gringrin

3 Likes

Re: Why 5G Isn’t Quite What You Think. by Shollay20(m): 8:03am On Apr 10, 2019
Nigeria network coverage poor pass that of west African neighboring countries.
Re: Why 5G Isn’t Quite What You Think. by Olachase(m): 9:06am On Apr 10, 2019
If you want thunder to fire buhari like
If you want thunder to fire poverty share

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why 5G Isn’t Quite What You Think. by Drwords(m): 10:18am On Apr 10, 2019
beewhy009:

I bet he's still using infrared to share files.
Last year we met at Transcorp Hilton, he kept repeating "no hurry in life" to me.

Debramaye:
Subscription will be finishing like madt grin honestly one of the things I hate about coming back to Nigeria... Nothing is unlimited unlike here where paying $70 a month for t mobile wifi gets you all the internet you'll ever need

Èwò élèyí

Mr madam, $70 is 25k+

Question of the day: can you sub 25k for personal use in the space of one month? Are you trying to download fold?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why 5G Isn’t Quite What You Think. by Korllami007: 10:49am On Apr 10, 2019
Drwords:

I bet he's still using infrared to share files.
Last year we met at Transcorp Hilton, he kept repeating "no hurry in life" to me.

Èwò élèyí

Mr madam, $70 is 25k+

Question of the day: can you sub 25k for personal use in the space of one month? Are you trying to download fold?

You're very funny. You converting dollar according to Nigeria economy grin .
$70 would give you #11,000 In 2010 when dollar rate was #170. In 2008 $70 will give you #8,260 when dollar rate was #115.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why 5G Isn’t Quite What You Think. by Jaymaxxy(m): 11:05am On Apr 10, 2019
Nigeria my Nigeria. We will start talking about 5G when the rest of the world is on 6G.
Re: Why 5G Isn’t Quite What You Think. by starpower(m): 11:22am On Apr 10, 2019
Ok, lazy youths, na only film download you fit do example. Next level generation.
Re: Why 5G Isn’t Quite What You Think. by oskaaay(m): 11:26am On Apr 10, 2019
even 4G is not fully in use. I ported to a broadband network to escape all their 4G craze that we can't see working...let small breeze blow, network don disappear grin grin grin grin grin

2year Premium VPN - Grab Here
Re: Why 5G Isn’t Quite What You Think. by Olanipekun1: 12:14pm On Apr 10, 2019
Korllami007:

You're very funny. You converting dollar according to Nigeria economy grin .
$70 would give you #11,000 In 2010 when dollar rate was #170. In 2008 $70 will give you #8,260 when dollar rate was #115.
was about to say the same thing
70 usd is just a small bucks over there just like 5k over here

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why 5G Isn’t Quite What You Think. by Patrick33(m): 3:39pm On Apr 10, 2019
Hehe..here in calabar airtel and glo will show you 4G+ and you'll be smiling thinking you're using 4G only to download at 250kbs... grin.. Downloading Assassins creed origins took 5 days with torrent..dont be suprised if you see 5G on your phone next year.nah just display na..the real 5G will reach by 2027

2 Likes

Re: Why 5G Isn’t Quite What You Think. by cassidy1996(m): 6:14pm On Apr 10, 2019
Patrick33:
Hehe..here in calabar airtel and glo will show you 4G+ and you'll be smiling thinking you're using 4G only to download at 250kbs... grin.. Downloading Assassins creed origins took 5 days with torrent..this 5G will really reach nigeria in 2027..
lol! i beg nor use laugh kiil me
Re: Why 5G Isn’t Quite What You Think. by Patrick33(m): 6:40pm On Apr 10, 2019
cassidy1996:

lol! i beg nor use laugh kiil me
no be laughing matter bro..na suffer we dey here o grin

1 Like

Re: Why 5G Isn’t Quite What You Think. by 4gunners(m): 10:28pm On Apr 10, 2019
Even 4g has not reached all parts of the country. Now, we are talking of 5G. Let's wait till 2030..
Re: Why 5G Isn’t Quite What You Think. by princemillla(m): 10:59pm On Apr 10, 2019
Nice piece. This worth FP. Let's learn
Re: Why 5G Isn’t Quite What You Think. by Nobody: 3:46pm On Apr 11, 2019
Shollay20:
Nigeria network coverage poor pass that of west African neighboring countries.
You can't compare the land mass of other West African countries to Nigeria, Nigeria has a large land mass . Aside that, the afore mentioned region rarely experience epileptic power supply like ours

(1) (Reply)

Xiaomi Redmi Note 7/8 Vs Infinix S5 / Is MTN Smooth Talk A Scam? / Help!!! Infininx Hot Note Pro Charging Over USB Always

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.