Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,329 members, 7,822,582 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 01:15 PM

If You Can't Beat Them Weaken Them Vs If You Can't Beat Them Join Them - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / If You Can't Beat Them Weaken Them Vs If You Can't Beat Them Join Them (488 Views)

Tinubu: I Can’t Wrestle With Pigs, We Will Beat Them Silly / Senate Presidency: Plot To Weaken Opposition To Lawan’s Emergence Thickens / You Can't Beat APC In Osun State - Tinubu Dares PDP (VIDEO) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

If You Can't Beat Them Weaken Them Vs If You Can't Beat Them Join Them by BeeverTen: 11:44am On Apr 10, 2019
I just bought this new book called "New" on Amazon, by Tera Gohaya (https://www.amazon.com/dp/1092487077).

The book is a must read for everyone. Through around 70+ sayings it sort of provides a mental DNA for changing the world, so this is a book I hope leaders and future leaders all over the world get to read.

One of the sayings, hmm... let me just paste it:

Beginning of saying:

SAYING 70: IF YOU CAN’T BEAT THEM, WEAKEN THEM!

Thou hast heard them say that “if you can’t beat them, join them”. This saying is the greatest invention of “them”, to effortlessly beat “us”: for they know that, if, because you can’t beat them, you join them: you make them stronger, you make them bigger, you make them greater.

Is this your intent? Is this your desire?

If we all join them, there will be no more us, we will all be them, and they will have total victory.

Is this our intent? Is this what we want?

Hear ye the words of the wise, if you are not them, even if you cannot beat them, do not become them by joining them. Own your soul.

Verily verily I say unto you, if you cannot beat them, weaken them: That they that come after you might find them weaker, till one day, after being weakened by many, one will ultimately beat them, and when this happens, thou shalt at last, have thine victory.

When you weaken them, you beat them, a little; so if you can’t beat them totally, beat them a little: Weaken them.

End of quote.

It occurred to me that this saying describes the evolution of the culture of corruption in Nigeria.

The question is, how do we move from the "if you can't beat them, join them" culture, to the "if you can't beat them, weaken them" culture, with maximal traction cum velocity (speed).
Re: If You Can't Beat Them Weaken Them Vs If You Can't Beat Them Join Them by LibertyRep: 11:58am On Apr 10, 2019
This proposition is great only if you are absolutely right and they are clearly wrong. Somehow the tyranny of the majority has to be checked.

1 Like

Re: If You Can't Beat Them Weaken Them Vs If You Can't Beat Them Join Them by BeeverTen: 12:13pm On Apr 10, 2019
Hmm... Interesting. Being that democracy is a party defined by the majority, then the wind of change needs to blow really fast, so that in the next election cycle, the masses wouldn't "join them" by selling their votes e.t.c.
Re: If You Can't Beat Them Weaken Them Vs If You Can't Beat Them Join Them by BeeverTen: 12:35pm On Apr 10, 2019
An interesting thought: corruption in the public sector in independent Nigeria, began with the (publicly unknown) first person or group of persons, that stole from the newly established federal and regional governments of Nigeria. Then it went viral! Too many people, and many, against their own will, have "joined them". At first, it may just have been the greedy (because they were beatable then), but as more people joined them, they scaled and increasingly became harder to beat. Since then, those who think they can't beat them, have just been crossing over to their side via the bridge named: "if you can't beat them, join them". Like the proverbial London bridge, this bridge too, must fall down!
Re: If You Can't Beat Them Weaken Them Vs If You Can't Beat Them Join Them by BeeverTen: 7:03pm On Apr 19, 2019
Being that democracy is the constitutionalization of the tyranny of the majority, for positive change to occur, the mental composition cum ideological constitution of the majority, must change. No one has yet attempted to answer the fundamental question put forward by the post above, i.e.:

"The question is, how do we move from the "if you can't beat them, join them" culture, to the "if you can't beat them, weaken them" culture, with maximal traction cum velocity (speed)."

(1) (Reply)

NIGER: CGGC Finally Launches Kandadji Hydroelectric Dam Construction / Boiling Fire To Kick Start OTO' GE' Movement In Kogi State Against Pdp's Ibrahim / Veteran Nollywood Filmmaker, Eddie Ugbomah Is Dead

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.